Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new reversing 100A in the Gripens but on low timing to lower the amps,116-117. Reversing 100A in the Avanti and praying each flight it doesn’t smoke. It’s easy to touch the front of the ESC and it doesn’t feel hot after a flight. The Mirage has a Hobby King 100A.

Comment

• I have one of the fan units. I can't make up my mind whether to use a 120 amp or not. If they could only stock more esc's and fan units. I know I can buy them elsewhere, but I'm not in a hurry to get it. Though I keep wondering what they would be like in the A10.

Comment

• Even D,

Thanks for the additional data points. I am considering lower timing. I do have a castle HV120 on hand but it was designed more so for 12s.

Perhaps some extra cooling would help.

Comment

• I would buy the FW 120 ESC from the Eurofighter if Motion had them in stock.

yes Kallend I know that RC castle has them

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
            I would buy the FW 120 ESC from the Eurofighter if Motion had them in stock.

yes Kallend I know that RC castle has them
            Motion has a remarkably large number of "out of stock" items right now, across the entire range of aircraft.

Which is why I've started looking elsewhere.

Comment

• I was going to get some HV batteries but now I am not sure I want to do that until I put a meter on it and upgrade the esc.

Comment

• Originally posted by StratoJoe View Post
                I was going to get some HV batteries but now I am not sure I want to do that until I put a meter on it and upgrade the esc.
                Not directly comparable, but similar:

I run the FMS PRO units in all my 80mm EDFs including the Mirage. These units seem to have similar characteristics to the new Freewing fan (2.8 - 2.9 kg thrust installed, 110 - 115 amps on an HRB 6S pack with stock ESCs).

I've recently flown all of them on SMC 6S HV packs with noticeable performance increase but haven't made a current measurement yet. However, thus far there have been no issues with the ESCs.

YMMV of course.

Comment

• Hello,
                  • To get 6S, can I use 2 x 3S batteries in series ?
                  • The battery compartment sizes given in the manual are: 200 x 55 x 56mm. Are they correct for V2 ?
                  • I have spektrum 3S – 4000 mah – 30c – 290gr – length 140mm – width 23mm – height 42mm. So 2x3S are 46mm wide and 580gr.
                  • Do you think this is ok ?
                  Thank you in advance for your answers​
                  Olivier

Comment

• I think you're okay.

Comment

• Hello
                      Can someone post a photo of the ESC and EDF compartment please ?
                      thanks 😀​

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230914_220450.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	386691 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230914_220509.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	386692 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230914_220539.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	386690
                        Hello
                        I just received my Mirage V2.
                        Here are the photos of the ESC and EDF compartment.
                        I note the following design weaknesses which are surprising given the rest of the quality of the product :
                        • screwing and plating the ESC into a 3 mm wooden plate: random attachment (look at the photo), not very secure and very risky in this location: just in front of the EDF.
                        • To remove or change the ESC, you must remove the ventilation grille. Not practical at all: a magnet or screw fixing system would have been more judicious.​
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Most if not all FreeWing planes attach the ESC that way. I add a dab of the white tube glue to the tops of the screws. Most people don’t and it works.

You don’t need to remove the grill. A long screw driver between the slats works.

Comment

Most if not all FreeWing planes attach the ESC that way. I add a dab of the white tube glue to the tops of the screws. Most people don’t and it works.

You don’t need to remove the grill. A long screw driver between the slats works.
                            This “tinkering” to secure the plane remains disappointing in view of the rest of the quality of the plane. We can clearly see that this part was neglected by the manufacturer.

Comment

• No tinkering required in my opinion. Nothing neglected. If this is disappointing to you, well I expect you to be disappointed a lot if you remain in the hobby. Good luck with your Mirage.

Comment

• Wow, with more than twenty EDF models (including a bunch of twins) over some 7 years I am now shocked that no ESC has been sucked into the fan in any of them. Something else to worry about.

Comment

No tinkering required in my opinion. Nothing neglected. If this is disappointing to you, well I expect you to be disappointed a lot if you remain in the hobby. Good luck with your Mirage.
                                  You seem annoyed by my remarks. Good for you if you settle for mediocrity with glue left and right.
                                  I maintain that 2 small tapping screws to hold a 120g ESC in a 3mm wooden plate is a neglected and disappointing solution at this location of the aircraft.
                                  I add that I didn't even need to unscrew them with a screwdriver, the plate came off with little resistance.
                                  Freewing too, can and must improve, and thanks to its customers like you and me.​

Comment

• Actually I am… the engineering flaw of having to remove the cheater grid to unscrew the ESC when a screw driver fits through the slats just isn’t. Yes it may be easier but I would never call it a design flaw. As far as the wood plate, just about all these use it and I don’t recall anyone saying they lost a fan because of a screw. Could it happen, sure, but you just got this and I think you’ll be overly critical when you encounter something like a loose retract mount or servo arms at odd angles, not counting any number of possible issues.

Again good luck with your Mirage.

Comment

Actually I am… the engineering flaw of having to remove the cheater grid to unscrew the ESC when a screw driver fits through the slats just isn’t. Yes it may be easier but I would never call it a design flaw. As far as the wood plate, just about all these use it and I don’t recall anyone saying they lost a fan because of a screw. Could it happen, sure, but you just got this and I think you’ll be overly critical when you encounter something like a loose retract mount or servo arms at odd angles, not counting any number of possible issues.

Again good luck with your Mirage.
                                      I'm going to end up believing that you have financial shares in freewing to dispute the evidence ?? 😀😁
                                      I repeat : small poorly screwed tapping screws, moreover in wood to maintain a 120g ESC which will also gain inertia by the acceleration forces and is not up to par with the rest of the plane. Why did Freewing provide magnets for the nose of the plane or for the tanks? No doubt because it is more practical for transport or for many other reasons which are indeed valid. This concern for quality is not found for the ESC, because nothing is provided to facilitate removal, replacement in the event of breakdowns or for people who wish to use another ESC. And the same for the immovable grid which is absolutely not welcome not only for removing the ESC but, worse, for installing and then adjusting the new ESC in the location. We can clearly see that Freewing was not at the end of a quality design in this area of the plane.
                                      Good luck also with your Mirage​.

Comment

• I’ve been flying the Mirage for 10 years. At one time I had two I was flying, one stock and one 8S. All three I’ve had are the V1.

No, I don’t have any relationship with Motion or FreeWing other than a paying customer.

Comment

• Whoever knew that the Mirage, which modelers have been flying for years with no significant issues, is in fact such a defective design and that Freewing's designers are so incompetent.

Thanks, Olivier, for pointing this out to us.

Comment

Working...
                                          X