X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post
    I have an ix20 and love it including the touchscreen (so much easier to program than the NX8 i started with) and I was thinking about buying that Frsky x20s to try as well just in case I need an alternate. Thus far, however, the ix20 has been a life-saver when it come to learning and programming...
    I am happy it works for you. I take it you mean Spektrum ix20, £1600 tx no rx here in the uk, I think I will pass on that. It may be a life saver for learning but its no good to me if I die of a heart attack at the thought of spending that amount of money .

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
      too heavy and bulky for me.
      The Radiomaster I am talking about (TX16S) is not bulky nor heavy, nor expensive ;)
      Friends recommend upgrading its gimbals to hall-sensor gimbal (not particularly expensive either).

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

The Radiomaster I am talking about (TX16S) is not bulky nor heavy, nor expensive ;)
        Friends recommend upgrading its gimbals to hall-sensor gimbal (not particularly expensive either).
        TX16s mk2 with hall sensor gimbals £199 which is ok. I will study the edge tx setup stuff. I cannot live with open tx so I will see how simple or complicated the Edge TX set up is.

Comment

• EdgeTX is more or less the continuation of OpenTX. In my opinion, it is more than worthwhile to take some time to get to grips with the programming logic, because its possibilities are as good as endless. Even today, I was discussing with a fellow club member who is into DLG. He wanted to combine two switches and a potmeter to control the flaps, and after only a minute or so, we got exactly what he wanted. I seriously doubt whether that is even remotely possible with the other radio systems, and he was really delighted about the sheer power and possibilities of this system. It is really just a myth that this is extremely hard to learn or use, you just have to get to grips with the base logic of it.
          Ethos is the user-friendly version of OpenTX really, based heavily on those principles, but with a more fancy user interface.
          Just keep an open mind about these systems, try them out, invest a minimum of time in understanding the logic, and you'll see the limitless possibilities soon enough.

Comment

I cannot live with open tx
            How come?

OTx is the best thing since the invention of chocolate!

I concur with HangarQueen. OTx is definitely not difficult, rather the opposite IMO. I find it much more straightforward and less limiting than virtually any other Tx OS out there ATM.
            Spending some time getting to properly learn and understand your transmitter should be a mandatory effort anyways. Shouldn't take much more than a weekend or two to really achieve a solid grasp.

Comment

How come?

OTx is the best thing since the invention of chocolate!

I concur with HangarQueen. OTx is definitely not difficult, rather the opposite IMO. I find it much more straightforward and less limiting than virtually any other Tx OS out there ATM.
              Spending some time getting to properly learn and understand your transmitter should be a mandatory effort anyways. Shouldn't take much more than a weekend or two to really achieve a solid grasp.
              From what I have seen so far on T`nternet I am leaning towards the Frsky X20s, there are plenty of user guides for idiots out there and it is my 71st birthday in a couple of weeks time

Comment

• Gone for the Radiolink 16s Mark 2 with hall gimbals , 4 in 1 module £199.00p so I can use all my flysky receivers in all my models and it comes with Edge TX so plenty of you tube videos to look through as I wait for it to arrive.

Comment

• Nice.
                  A good resource for OTX is the OpenTX University, with lots of info and tutorials: https://open-txu.org/

Comment

• Originally posted by HangarQueen View Post
                    Nice.
                    A good resource for OTX is the OpenTX University, with lots of info and tutorials: https://open-txu.org/
                    Thanks I will definitely have a look.

Paul

Comment

• You'll appreciate being able to program stuff without as many limitations :)
                      For many years I also kept flying EDF jets with an old Futaba T8UP. The radio was rock solid, and I loved it, but it just didn't offer half of what I needed it to.
                      And while some functions are pretty accessory and one can live without them, I've come to appreciate things like tailerons, flight modes, built-in telemetry and endless mixes to really be able to customize my aircraft to my own preferences with virtually no limitations. Tailerons really change the way a model flies and the possibilities of what it can do, it's not just about extreme aerobatics but safety in general. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy all of this soon ^^

Comment

You'll appreciate being able to program stuff without as many limitations :)
                        For many years I also kept flying EDF jets with an old Futaba T8UP. The radio was rock solid, and I loved it, but it just didn't offer half of what I needed it to.
                        And while some functions are pretty accessory and one can live without them, I've come to appreciate things like tailerons, flight modes, built-in telemetry and endless mixes to really be able to customize my aircraft to my own preferences with virtually no limitations. Tailerons really change the way a model flies and the possibilities of what it can do, it's not just about extreme aerobatics but safety in general. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy all of this soon ^^
                        Hopefully so, I will keep you up to date. In the meantime it is down to the field to see if my paintwork on the carrier deck for this weekends Warbirds day at DDMAC survived the rain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DJI_0084 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.9 KB ID:	356413

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220907_163454_072.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.6 KB ID:	356414
                        I wonder if an SU35 ever flew off a carrier deck ?

Comment

• Su-35, nope, but Su-33, plenty! :)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, had a look, not for me, I hate touch screens.
                            So did I, until I was forced to use one in anther product. Now I love them - so much easier to set up a TX for a complex model than a scroll wheel or scroll buttons,

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

So did I, until I was forced to use one in anther product. Now I love them - so much easier to set up a TX for a complex model than a scroll wheel or scroll buttons,
                              Well I have overcome my instincts by buying the Radiolink TX16sMk2 , 4 in 1 multi protocol tx with touch screen, V4 Hall gimbals and Edge Tx installed (touch screen version of Open Tx) and I am working my way through all the you tube tutorials before it arrives and I switch it on!!!

Comment

• So, if I go for tailerons on my su35 what are my options for the main wing ailerons, flaps only ? It would be useful if someone would give me a channel list . It looks like I might need more than 10 channels if I add flaps and gyro ( i already have flaps and gyro on my current limited setup )so do I need more hardware for ibus. ? My iA10B rx has ibus which I believe enables me to go up to I8 channels. Also do I use some channels so I can switch off tailerons and go to my original inboard flaps and aileron option if I want to using flight modes. Things are getting more complicated than I would like

Comment

• I had flaperons originally, but decided it was too much bother since it lands so easily anyway. I have my VT nozzles Y'd to my rudders and tailerons and get by with 8 channels just fine. The taileron mix is provided by a HE A3S4 gyro.

Comment

I had flaperons originally, but decided it was too much bother since it lands so easily anyway. I have my VT nozzles Y'd to my rudders and tailerons and get by with 8 channels just fine. The taileron mix is provided by a HE A3S4 gyro.
                                    Thanks for that, why Hobby Eagle A3S4 and not A3S3 ? I cannot see the difference if I just want gyro on, gyro off and auto level mode. I was thinking of this unless anybody can find a problem using this with my Edge TX Radiolink tx16s.

ia10b RX setup with radiolink Tx as follows :-
                                    Channel 1 Left taileron Y`d to left (up/down )vt servo to gyro out 1
                                    Channel 2 Left Elevator to gyro out 2
                                    Channel 3 Throttle/motor
                                    Channel 4 rudders Y`d to central left to right vt servo to gyro out 3
                                    Channel 5 Landing gear
                                    Channel 6 Flaps( I have the inboard flaps now so I might as well have the option to use them with a touch of down elevator mix as a flight mode.
                                    Channel 7 slider gain switch connected to A2-E2-gain port on gyro.
                                    Channel 8 gyro on/off/autobalance 3 position switch. via serial/RX/M port on gyro
                                    Channel 9 Right taileron Y`d to right (up/down)vt servo to gyro out 4
                                    Channel 10 Right Elevator to gyro out 5
                                    B/YCC Bind plug and power in from external BEC

Comment

Thanks for that, why Hobby Eagle A3S4 and not A3S3 ? I cannot see the difference if I just want gyro on, gyro off and auto level mode. I was thinking of this unless anybody can find a problem using this with my Edge TX Radiolink tx16s.

Channel 2 Left Elevator to gyro out 2
                                      Channel 3 Throttle/motor
                                      Channel 5 Landing gear
                                      Channel 6 Flaps( I have the inboard flaps now so I might as well have the option to use them with a touch of down elevator mix as a flight mode.
                                      Channel 7 slider gain switch connected to A2-E2-gain port on gyro.
                                      Channel 8 gyro on/off/autobalance 3 position switch. via serial/RX/M port on gyro
                                      Channel 9 Right taileron Y`d to right (up/down)vt servo to gyro out 4
                                      Channel 10 Right Elevator to gyro out 5
                                      A3S4 allows the outputs 4 and 5 to stabilize the ailerons, while 1 and 2 stabilize the tailerons and VT. The A3S3 doesn't allow that.

Comment

A3S4 allows the outputs 4 and 5 to stabilize the ailerons, while 1 and 2 stabilize the tailerons and VT. The A3S3 doesn't allow that.
                                        ok, now I am confused or not understanding you correctly. As I understand it you have no ailerons, only tailerons . If outputs 1 and 2 stabilize the tailerons and vt then why do I need outputs 4 and 5 . As I see it I only have 1 servo on the left horizontal stabilizer,and 1 servo on the right horizontal stabilizer, one of these needs to be in channel 1 and the other needs to be in channel 2, they are then mixed to give tailerons.( elevons ) At the same time the left vt is y`d with the left stabilizer servo and the right vt is y`d with the right stabilizer servo . The rudder tv is connected to both rudder servos and to output 3 on the gyro. I then use my Hobby eagle A3pro. If this is correct then I have this :-

Channel 2 Right taileron Y`d to right (up/down)vt servo to gyro out 2
                                        Channel 3 Throttle/motor
                                        Channel 5 Landing gear
                                        Channel 7 slider gain switch connected to gyro
                                        Channel 8 gyro on/off/autobalance 3 position switch.
                                        Channel 9
                                        Channel 10
                                        ​​

Comment

ok, now I am confused or not understanding you correctly. We dont have any ailerons, only tailerons . If outputs 1 and 2 stabilize the tailerons and vt then why do I need outputs 4 and 5 .
                                          I have ailerons and tailerons. I did have flaperons but decided the flap function was unnecessary so they reverted to just ailerons.

Comment

Working...
                                          X