X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
    So you're saying the Su30 and F14 would be faster in a dive then?
    Not if you fly in a vacuum. A feather will be just as fast. 🤣

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

Asking about the Su-30 in the Su-35 thread confuses folks. I fly an Su-30 and it's a dog in stock condition out of the box. I've mod'ed mine so that it flys very nice. It's a heavy beast....mine is 11 lbs now!.
      It is a bit confusing but it's also a fair question when asking about a comparison.
      Your SU-30 has really put on weight. Is it that extra battery? I would love to put in an FMS 8s power system but then, battery space would be an issue. I'm not willing to carve out all that foam and eliminate the airbrake. I love that airbrake. 😊 I'd still like to be able to fly it for 4 to 5 min.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        It is a bit confusing but it's also a fair question when asking about a comparison.
        Your SU-30 has really put on weight. Is it that extra battery? I would love to put in an FMS 8s power system but then, battery space would be an issue. I'm not willing to carve out all that foam and eliminate the airbrake. I love that airbrake. 😊 I'd still like to be able to fly it for 4 to 5 min.
        Yes, my dual batteries total almost 1200g! I flew two flights today...first was doing everything fast with big vertical maneuvers with timer set at 4 min. Second flight was everything slow and sedate with timer set to six minutes. Batteries at about 15-20% at end of both flights.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          The confusion is from asking to compare the F-14 with the Su-30 in the Su-35 thread. Apples, oranges, and mangos!

Comment

• AndrewF, it's not just the weight, it's how the plane is designed and the layout. The Su-30 from HH/FMS/E-Flite has the battery compartment so far forward there is just no way you can get a decent CG with a decently sized battery pack. You either fly super-nose-heavy or super restricted in flight time. Plus the whole fuselage is known to flex a lot under flight loads which is less than ideal. The plane itself flies well and people like it, but the Su-35 will always kick its ass as it is.

Originally posted by xviper View Post
            Not if you fly in a vacuum. A feather will be just as fast. 🤣
            Can't fly in a vacuum!

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
              The confusion is from asking to compare the F-14 with the Su-30 in the Su-35 thread. Apples, oranges, and mangos!
              I see what you're saying now. I guess when you don't really know what those planes are like as models in real life, apples, oranges and mangos all look the same (like to a blind person). You have to taste them to know for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                AndrewF, it's not just the weight, it's how the plane is designed and the layout. The Su-30 from HH/FMS/E-Flite has the battery compartment so far forward there is just no way you can get a decent CG with a decently sized battery pack. You either fly super-nose-heavy or super restricted in flight time. Plus the whole fuselage is known to flex a lot under flight loads which is less than ideal. The plane itself flies well and people like it, but the Su-35 will always kick its ass as it is.

Can't fly in a vacuum!
                Depends on how you define "flying". Maintaining speed and attitude control is flying. Space shuttle video: https://youtu.be/iwwE-m917CY

Maybe you meant to say "can't develop aerodynamic lift in a vacuum".

Comment

AndrewF, it's not just the weight, it's how the plane is designed and the layout. The Su-30 from HH/FMS/E-Flite has the battery compartment so far forward there is just no way you can get a decent CG with a decently sized battery pack. You either fly super-nose-heavy or super restricted in flight time. Plus the whole fuselage is known to flex a lot under flight loads which is less than ideal. The plane itself flies well and people like it, but the Su-35 will always kick its ass as it is.

Can't fly in a vacuum!
                  Thanks for the info. I completely understand that they are different airframes and therefore have different flight characteristics. I was honestly looking for information like you gave me about the battery tray and the fuselage flex, stuff that you don’t really know until you ask on a forum.

Comment

• Spares are cheaper too, if I recall correctly... so there's that. ;)

Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                    Depends on how you define "flying". Maintaining speed and attitude control is flying.
                    The original reference was to the Su-30 and F-14, not the Space Shuttle. These two can't be controlled in a vacuum as they lack attitude actuators that would do anything in an airless space, so I stand by my previous statement.

Comment

• New air-to-air adventures!

Comment

• JLambCWU how did you make your 2 seat cockpit?
                        I'm planning on building an SU-30SM using the SU-35 as the base, so a 2 seat cockpit is a must

Comment

• After Motion telling me the new version came 100amp esc's I ordered the SU35 only to find after getting it that it had the old 60amp esc's. I have returned the plane. I can't understand why they upgraded the motors and not the esc.

Comment

• Originally posted by haljennings View Post
                            After Motion telling me the new version came 100amp esc's I ordered the SU35 only to find after getting it that it had the old 60amp esc's. I have returned the plane. I can't understand why they upgraded the motors and not the esc.
                            The MRC ad clearly states 60A ESC.
                            Power System 2x Brushless 2952-2100Kv
                            Speed Control 2x 60A Hobbywing, EC5 connector
                            Propeller / EDF 2x 70mm EDF 12-Blade

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...toring-jet-pnp

When I upgraded to the FMS PRO units I put in 80A Hobbywings.

Comment

• Ok, now that sucks.
                              They could have at least used the 80A ESCs instead :/

Comment

Ok, now that sucks.
                                They could have at least used the 80A ESCs instead :/
                                With the stock setup and the new power units, is there a need for the 80A's?

Comment

After Motion telling me the new version came 100amp esc's I ordered the SU35 only to find after getting it that it had the old 60amp esc's. I have returned the plane. I can't understand why they upgraded the motors and not the esc.
                                  Look under the spares tab, find motor it states max 55amp motor, 60amp esc. it is a 12 blade out-runner. Never used them as I wanted fms pro in-runners so I dont know tested output figures..
                                  They dont do arf version so 18 months ago I bought airframe from spare parts list then added my own fms pro in-runners, twin Hobbywing 80amp escs, different servos, landing gear etc in order to get what I wanted. You might consider this route, you just have to spend a air bit of research time looking back through this thread and the answers are all available.

Comment

Has anybody tried the new high speed version?
                                    What new high speed version. New is a relative term, if you mean the 12 blade fan then its an outrunner and was around more than a year ago, New in current terms is a 9 or 12 blade in-runner and I have not seen an advert for one ?

Comment

• Paul, the Su-35s that came in the latest container to the US warehouse now ship with 2100kv inrunner motors, so they are indeed upgraded in that sense.

I still think 60A ESCs is borderline for these setups. Particularly if you want to get all the juice out of it at high timing, they may be more prone to overheating than higher amp-rated ESCs.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

The MRC ad clearly states 60A ESC.
                                        Power System 2x Brushless 2952-2100Kv
                                        Speed Control 2x 60A Hobbywing, EC5 connector
                                        Propeller / EDF 2x 70mm EDF 12-Blade

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...toring-jet-pnp

When I upgraded to the FMS PRO units I put in 80A Hobbywings.
                                        They have corrected a typo which was on the page until recently. The blurb read "This version includes two powerful 2952-2100Kv brushless inrunner motors with 12-blade fans, and two 100A ESCs for exceptional speed and performance".

I commented on the other forum that this seemed unusual given the AL37 and Me262, which have the same powerplants, both still shipped with 60A. Jandro was excited at the prospect of some extra headroom for the PNP, but I see this has now turned to disappointment lol.

I can see his point - both the airliner and the schwalbe have better airflow arrangements for the ESCs than the sukhoi does, and are (one would hope) less likely to be drawing lots of power in a post-stall condition.

Comment

Paul, the Su-35s that came in the latest container to the US warehouse now ship with 2100kv inrunner motors, so they are indeed upgraded in that sense.

I still think 60A ESCs is borderline for these setups. Particularly if you want to get all the juice out of it at high timing, they may be more prone to overheating than higher amp-rated ESCs.

Jandro I read EU warehouse 60amp at the moment with outrunner. I agree 60amp borderline, my post just answered haljennings question about why motion r.c did not upgrade esc even though it would have been better at 80amp. I was putting myself in Motion r.c. shoes current us version as of now states Version Info: This is the High Performance version of the Freewing SU-35 Desert Camo. This version includes two powerful 2952-2100Kv brushless inrunner motors with 12-blade fans, and two 60A ESCs for exceptional speed and performance. I dont know what power/thrust this fan produces, if indeed the website is correct ? Its a bit confusing and needs sorting out.

found this to add to the confusion ;- if correct needs 80amp esc so motion website probably still not correct ?

Motor Type Inrunner
                                          kV Rating (RPM/Volt) 2085kV
                                          Maximum Watts 1580W
                                          Continuous Current 68A
                                          Maximum Burst Current 75A, 10 seconds
                                          Recommended Battery (Input Voltage) 6S (22.2V)
                                          Recommended ESC 80A
                                          Recommended Propeller / EDF 70mm 12B metal fan
                                          Slots, Poles 12, 4
                                          Shaft Diameter (A) 4mm
                                          Shaft Length (B) 16mm
                                          Motor Length (C) 63mm
                                          Motor Diameter (D) 29mm
                                          Overall Length (E) 79mm
                                          Weight 183.4g / 6.46oz
                                          Connector Type 4mm Bullet

Comment

Working...
                                          X