Callie Graphics

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freewing Su-35 Twin 70mm 12 blade

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 400 flights.





    Comment


    • Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
      Hey, hi Tube!
      Didn't know you were in Squawk too, welcome aboard!
      J i'm here look out!

      Comment


      • Danger, danger!

        Comment


        • Dirty Su gets full body makeover !!! Sadly Dirty Su did not recover in time from the spiral of death but courtesy of the NHS ( National Health Sukoi ) all her major organs i.e Twin fms 1900kv in-runners, twin 80amp Hobbywing escs, rx, separate receiver bec, servos, landing gear, were transferred to a new body and Red Fred was born. This time I added the nose gear doors and Dr Mad thrust sequencer. In anticipation of such an event I have been buying all the spare parts over the last year. but I only had yellow vertical stabs so a I repainted them to suit along with the Hawk red highlights, which for some some reason came out a bit pink on the daylight photos. I also added my previous reinforcements to the nose leg and mains and some extra vent to the canopy and a couple of additional air extract holes to the plastic strip to the rear of the escs. I had a couple of 2 and a half inch Dubro low bounce wheels in stock and added them to the mains for a little extra give on the landing gear. I have also installed a simple Hobby Eagle 3 axis gyro ( on, off and auto balance ) and added separate inboard flaps to keep things simple so I will report back on the flaps in due course.


          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220828_093101_034.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	355724

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220828_093302_369.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	355725Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220828_102734_639.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	355726

          Comment


          • Had second thoughts about the red, final livery as follows :-

            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220830_141335_531.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	355865

            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220830_141222_909.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	355866Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220830_141041_416.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	355867



            Comment


            • That looks better IMO :)

              Comment



              • good flights with the ME262 this morning and the SU35 maiden went well, did not require any aileron, rudder or elevator trim. cg ok, maybe a very small amount tail heavy. Need to increase aileron rate from 70 to 85%. I tried half flaps high up with 3% up elevator mix at a little over landing speed but it was a little too much and it climbed ( could have just been extra lift generated by half flaps but reluctant to try full flaps just yet ) so have switched the mix off for now Yet to try full flaps Very light touch down with nose up a little no problem, very little power on final and touchdown, floated on in to 8mph headwind Couldn`t achieve cg ( gear up ) with second battery placed to front of compartment ( 820 gms as opposed to 845gms ) so I am going to add a little nose weight 10 or 15gms max before I fly again and maybe adjust the thrust line half a notch to get a little less up thrust i.e nozzles not pointing up quite as much. (Currently closer to 3 than 2mm). It might be a week or so before the next flights looking at the weather forecast.​ Will report back after the next flight

                Comment


                • Congrats!
                  With rearwards CG, you may actually need nose-down compensation when deploying flaps. That's normal and to be expected on this model (and quite a few others).

                  I never use full flaps on this model and don't recommend to do so unless you have your stabs running on a well-set-up gyro.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                    Congrats!
                    With rearwards CG, you may actually need nose-down compensation when deploying flaps. That's normal and to be expected on this model (and quite a few others).

                    I never use full flaps on this model and don't recommend to do so unless you have your stabs running on a well-set-up gyro.
                    Thanks for the insight, I will keep the cg where it is and try a small amount of down elevator mix. I only used half flaps today, I will adjust my settings so that my half flaps have half their current movement and full flaps my current half flap movement and work my way from there . I have gyro set up on rudder, elevator and ailerons, not too much at the moment so I am taking it in small steps as I have not used a gyro on my previous SU35. Maiden landing was on a slight downslope grass runway into 8 to 10 mph wind, no flaps used, shallow approach but floated on a bit on the downslope( about 1.5 to 2 metres extra vertical drop ) but landed like a butterfly with a touch of nose up in the last 10 metres. Final turn over runway at about 7 metres high, 1/4 throttle, 250 metres to touchdown.( Courtesy of guesswork and the ruler on Google Earth pro, or about 3.5% adding for the downslope ) Landing upslope if the wind had been in the other direction would have shortened runway landing length required to around 175 metres,( from Trees to nearly end of runway at ELS Cards)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
                      try a small amount of down elevator mix.

                      What radio system are you using? I highly encourage 'flight modes' over mixing for flap to elevator compensation. This way you can easily modify it on the go, and not have to wait from one flight to the next. Will ultimately allow you a much more precise setting. Also let me emphasize the speed dependency. If you trim for a cruising speed, when you finally get to land the plane, it will likely want to raise its nose badly, so it should be really trimmed for actual approach speed.

                      Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
                      I have gyro set up on rudder, elevator and ailerons,

                      You mean you haven't mixed tailerons either on your setup?
                      I wouldn't recommend using flaps/flaperons either if you don't have tailerons set up.
                      Risk of asymmetric stall increases.

                      Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
                      ( from Trees to nearly end of runway at ELS Cards)
                      Wait, I got lost there... your measurements were for your runway or mine?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

                        What radio system are you using? I highly encourage 'flight modes' over mixing for flap to elevator compensation. This way you can easily modify it on the go, and not have to wait from one flight to the next. Will ultimately allow you a much more precise setting. Also let me emphasize the speed dependency. If you trim for a cruising speed, when you finally get to land the plane, it will likely want to raise its nose badly, so it should be really trimmed for actual approach speed.



                        You mean you haven't mixed tailerons either on your setup?
                        I wouldn't recommend using flaps/flaperons either if you don't have tailerons set up.
                        Risk of asymmetric stall increases.



                        Wait, I got lost there... your measurements were for your runway or mine?
                        Reply is long so I have sent P M. Short version is my radio is simple with no flight modes and limited mixes. I do not have tailerons. After minor adjustments I had 3 flights Saturday morning, plane is set up for level( near as dammit, ) flight at 1/2 throttle, 1/4 to 1/8 throttle on landing approach with flaps at 12mm half 18mm full with 2% down elevator mix gave gentle approach, slightly nose down and allowed small up elevator movement to bring nose up for gentle landing. Flaps are only ever used on final approach down the runway. Inboard flaps are 120mm long. Take off no flaps, full power no problem, climbs, turns, loops, rolls, barrel rolls, rolls off the top ok. TV on rudder and elevator only. Gyro on rudder, elevator, ailerons ( Hobby Eagle A3v2, normal, off, auto balance. ) I am quite happy if the plane flys as in RC4Ever Chill flights and inverted practice video and I expect my setup will be able to just about do that. Next flights will be inverted practice and high level high alpha runs practice .(not too high a nose ). I suspect a little more fine tuning will be required as I get more used to the plane and the varying weather conditions.

                        Comment


                        • I think you miss a lot by not setting up tailerons though. It's half the fun of this model :'(

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                            I think you miss a lot by not setting up tailerons though. It's half the fun of this model :'(
                            If I can find a radio I am comfortable with ( size,weight, ease of programming, sits well in my hands and not too expensive) I will probably go for it. Difficult for me to justify the expense in my own mind when my existing radio has served me well for the past 7 years in the other 28 planes I have to fly. If I am not careful I will end up buying the 90mm F22 to justify getting a new radio

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post

                              If I can find a radio I am comfortable with ( size,weight, ease of programming, sits well in my hands and not too expensive) I will probably go for it. Difficult for me to justify the expense in my own mind when my existing radio has served me well for the past 7 years in the other 28 planes I have to fly. If I am not careful I will end up buying the 90mm F22 to justify getting a new radio
                              I think the Frsky X20S will fit your bill perfectly; incredible feature list, very reliable, very user friendly, affordable.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by HangarQueen View Post

                                I think the Frsky X20S will fit your bill perfectly; incredible feature list, very reliable, very user friendly, affordable.
                                Thanks for the suggestion, had a look, not for me, I hate touch screens.

                                Comment


                                • If you are willing to look beyond that one feature (which you can avoid using, I'm not a big fan of touch screens either), you won't miss out on so many others: up to 24 channels (with the right receiver), tandem receivers (900MHz+2,4GHz) receivers cost around 40 Euro, full telemetry, S-bus, free mixing as much as you want...for around 400 Euro. Try doing that with other brands?
                                  I use a 10-channel receiver with stabilization and dual power supply input for around 50 Euro. No more trying to wrestle 6 channels to fly an EDF jet.

                                  Comment


                                  • I have an ix20 and love it including the touchscreen (so much easier to program than the NX8 i started with) and I was thinking about buying that Frsky x20s to try as well just in case I need an alternate. Thus far, however, the ix20 has been a life-saver when it come to learning and programming...

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by HangarQueen View Post
                                      If you are willing to look beyond that one feature (which you can avoid using, I'm not a big fan of touch screens either), you won't miss out on so many others: up to 24 channels (with the right receiver), tandem receivers (900MHz+2,4GHz) receivers cost around 40 Euro, full telemetry, S-bus, free mixing as much as you want...for around 400 Euro. Try doing that with other brands?
                                      I use a 10-channel receiver with stabilization and dual power supply input for around 50 Euro. No more trying to wrestle 6 channels to fly an EDF jet.
                                      ok. Reality check. I fly with a Flysky i6x transmitter( 10 channels ) and ia10B receiver with dual ariels which has 10 pwm channel slots plus bind/power slot and i bus slots if I need it ( which I do not ) Cost £68 2022 prices from UK supplier for tx and rx together. Tested range 1km, if it is more than 300 metres away ( direct line of sight )orientation becomes an issue and I am going to lose it anyway . The transmitter weighs 525 grams inc batteries. it is 170mm wide,140mm high excl handle and 35mm thick . Rx is about £18. The size, weight and position of sticks suits my hands and I have replaced the variometer switches with a 3 position switch and a 2 position switch as per photo below There are 6 switches across the top, starting from left ( 1) to right (6) as follows :-
                                      Sw1 landing gear, 2 pos sw
                                      Sw2 flaps . 3 pos sw
                                      sw3 gyro. 3 pos sw
                                      sw 4 aux 2 pos sw for thrust reverse or bomb drop or air brake.
                                      Sw5 dual rate
                                      Sw6 throttle cut
                                      The only limitation I have is that it only has 3 simple mixes ( need all 3 to set up flaperons on this radio )and until the thrust vectoring of the SU35 came along I did not need any more than this.

                                      I fly the following planes with this set up ( including the SU35 with TV limited to elevator and rudder. ) Using separate flaps on the SU35 gave me use of basic gyro ( Hobby Eagle A3v2, normal, off and auto balance modes ) and connecting elevators and rudders through a 4 and 3 block connector left wiring to the gyro simple and still left me 3 mixes, one of which I have used for the flap/elevator mix. List of my planes :- with iA6B or iA10 B receivers :-

                                      Freewing SU35,Mig 21,L39, Avanti, F86, F16 70mm, BAE Hawk 70mm, Rebel 70mm. ME262 70mm, Spitfire 1600mm, FMSP47 Razorback, Lanyu models mustang P51d 1450mm. HK B17. F18 64mm, F9F Panther 64mm, F22 64mm, Black Horse Hurricane, VQ models P39 1580mm Airacobra, 1900mm Seagull T34c, FMS 1100mm PC21, Eleven Hobby Bearcat, HK Edge 540V3 1200mm. Dynam Waco, scratch built 1000mm Ugly stick. Extra 300. FMSFox glider, Yak 12, Dancing wings Birdplane.

                                      All I would really like is the simple radio I have with a few more mixes to assist tv setup but I have enough things to fly in the meantime and if all goes according to plan I will post a video of the SU 35 in the next few weeks with the present setup. I have no need or desire to spend several hundreds of pounds on an all singing all dancing radio with features I will probably never use, but hey you never know !!!

                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220906_211004_755.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	356266

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
                                        If I am not careful I will end up buying the 90mm F22 to justify getting a new radio
                                        Sounds like a solid plan!


                                        I'd suggest checking FrSky and Radiomaster stuff.
                                        They have solid radios at very decent prices.

                                        And if you are not really going to do that, I still think programming tailerons on the Su-35 is more valuable than flaperons, unless you can't really take-off without them due to a draggy runway. But with the FMS powerplant upgrade, that shouldn't be a concern anyway ;)

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

                                          Sounds like a solid plan!


                                          I'd suggest checking FrSky and Radiomaster stuff.
                                          They have solid radios at very decent prices.

                                          And if you are not really going to do that, I still think programming tailerons on the Su-35 is more valuable than flaperons, unless you can't really take-off without them due to a draggy runway. But with the FMS powerplant upgrade, that shouldn't be a concern anyway ;)
                                          Thanks, one of my club members has radiolink. Good value for money but too heavy and bulky for me. I will have a visit to local model shop. I will look seriously at the Frsky Tandem X18 and X20 and see if I can physically get my hands on one locally as the RC Groups You tube reviews are encouraging. Ease of programming is a top priority for me.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X