X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
    No-wonder this plane lives on in Freewing's inventory after so many more recent ones have been retired.
    Amen to that!

Comment

• Hello
      After my Freewing Su-35 crashed, I have finally reconstructed the broken inlet duct. The inlet duct is divided into three parts.It's right and left side online.
      The nose gear doors follow these are still in progress

Comment

• Nice job!

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
          Nice job!
          Danke

Comment

• Nothing such as 'too dark to fly'...

Comment

• Here's a 'documental video', regarding my Su-35 screeching sound. These were scenes from mid-summer when the sound was worse.
              Part of the high-pitched tune that my EDFs make have to do with the fact that I use a high-power, high-rpm, low blade-count setup (5 blade rotors with 2600kv motors running at 6S)... but the worst part of it, turns out, was rather that the EDFs had a 'cheapo' shaft adapter and the mounting pads had detached from vibrations, so all in all, a pretty bad combo. After installing a proper shaft adapter and 'regluing' the EDF securing pads that had come loose, the sound improved a lot. Viewer discretion: Watch at your own risk, I will not compensate anyone for permanent damage to your hearing abilities, lol. 😂

Comment

• It was a fun breezy day of flying with Ben’s new Freewing SU-35. I was really, really worried about him flying his new Christmas gift from his wife in this 15 mph semi-crosswind. We squeezed in a few flights before the start of the Super Bowl.

What a way to kick off the evening!

Comment

• That song made me laugh, good job!

Comment

• Comment

• Some more thrust vectoring fun with the Su-35 :)

Comment

• I don't have a Su - 35 but here's a fun video of me harrowing one my friend owns with my F 16 and Jas 39. Cool plane wish it was made of the better foam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary S. View Post
                          I don't have a Su - 35 but here's a fun video of me harrowing one my friend owns with my F 16 and Jas 39. Cool plane wish it was made of the better foam.
                          One of the reasons it is so cool is that the foam it's made from is so much lighter than EPO.

And if you refrain from crashing, it lasts very well. Mine is over 4 years old and looks better than many EPO planes 1/4 of its age.

Bottom line - I choose planes for their flying ability, not their crash resistance.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

One of the reasons it is so cool is that the foam it's made from is so much lighter than EPO.

And if you refrain from crashing, it lasts very well. Mine is over 4 years old and looks better than many EPO planes 1/4 of its age.

Bottom line - I choose planes for their flying ability, not their crash resistance.
                            Well I have to say that their is quite a fan base for this one, and although I do not have one I am a fan it is a beautiful and great flying model.
                            I guess I didn't anticipate that crash resistance was a trade-off for great flying characteristics and aside from perhaps you, most of these models get bumps and bruises even for "super" pilots.
                            I would simply say that since their is not another equal in cost, availability, and performance. This is currently the best TV EDF on the market regardless of what its made of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary S. View Post
                              Cool plane wish it was made of the better foam.
                              EPS is actually the better foam. :)

I prefer dings and bruises over over-weight airframes and super-penalized wing-loadings and thrust-to-weight ratios.

Consider that the mechanical properties of the EPS used on the Su-35 are superior to the EPO used on most other jets around nowadays.
                              EPO is more flexible, which is good for resisting impacts, dings and bruises... but the jet ends up being 'fluffy' unless heavily reinforced.

This translates into jets having thicker foam walls to compensate, which increases the weight considerably... and even then, parts that are not reinforced properly will still be more prone to deform in flight.

Soooo... EPS all the way! :)

Comment

• Ok now I'm gonna have get one so I can get the full EPS experience. ;-)

Comment

• Crashing foam planes is problematic at the best of times, but I kind of like the way EPS breaks clean. Assuming you can find all the bits it's much easier to put back together than bent, crumpled and twisted EPO. Also find it far easier to work with if any carving, drilling or sanding is required.

That said I can see why anything larger than the flanker could be a pain in EPS, given the likelihood of knocking it around during transport and storage.

Not that it's going to happen but if they released a new model in EPS I'd buy it just for market signalling purposes lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by HangarQueen View Post

Currently, I'm replacing the inlet cheater holes with some 3D-printed grills.

I'll be doing more static thrust measurements to see the difference with the original cheater holes (mine were extremely crude after the restoration).
                                    Old post but... Did you find out if there was any thrust-increase with the 3DP cheater grills and if so, do you have a .STL-file to share?

I'm in the process of upgrading the engines and ESC, so will modify the cheater holes while I'm at it.

Thanks!
                                    /Tobias

Comment

• May be a dumb question, but....

I'm looking at the MRC ad for the desert camo Su-35. The picture shows a dull olive green color for the green shade. But, in other pictures of this version the green is a very bright green. Here are pic's of the difference in color. Does anyone know if Freewing changed the colors on the newest models?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Su35 dull green.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	304652Click image for larger version

Name:	Su35 bright green.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	304653

Comment

• Never had the desert camo as I didn't really like the color match they did.
                                        Not sure if they have changed it over the years (there are definitely small variances in the grey version though) but in any case I always found the yellow version looking more 'toyish' and less scale, so to speak, so there's that. The fullscale jet looks much more 'dull' and de-saturated.

Comment

• Certainly the "bright green" is a terrible color. The dull green doesn't look all that bad. Put on a very light grey "wash" and the overall effect could be pretty good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Su-35BM_Medvedev-2.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	304674

Comment

Working...
                                          X