Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of my jets have the opposing limitation issue. It’s only when pushing the control surface to the absolute limit. It’s because you can’t center the control arm onto the spur gear of the servo. The two separate elevator servo control horns are always about one tooth off of dead center. If you push full down elevator it will be the opposite effect. I trim it out by limiting the opposing servo in that direction of travel, then limit the same servo for the opposite direction. I think both servos on mine set up like this...(Right Elevator 150% UP, 135% DOWN) and (135% DOWN , 135% UP on the Left Elevator. So your true maximum throw either direction is 135%. (Those numbers are just an example)

Kinda hard to explain. To answer your other questions, I think my plane did require a bit of trimming, but once set it stayed true. I don’t know what would cause uncommanded radio trim values t o change. More like stripped servo, loose connection, or something along those lines. I regrettably run a Spektrum iX-12 with 12 channel receivers. It’s awesome when functioning correctly, but pisses me off when it’s not because of the price tag.

Comment

• OH!! Check your hinges in your ailerons and rudders for slop. Either way, fill the openings on both sides with epoxy or glue that is safe for the SU’s foam. I bet that's your issue

Comment

• Thank you guys for some great advise, i will report back with my findings.
        Yes, hinges are good, all around.
        I got 4 day weekend coming up and will work on the plane.

Comment

• Saw this on social media

Click image for larger version

Name:	86D80959-5EBA-496A-8474-D29C69395658.jpeg
Views:	839
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	213034

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post
            I regrettably run a Spektrum iX-12 with 12 channel receivers. It’s awesome when functioning correctly, but pisses me off when it’s not because of the price tag.
            Hi, i am very new here as u can see this is my 1st post. I received my su35 a couple of weeks ago and the only real mod i have done, and still ongoing, is changing out all 9g servos. I have not even decided on what receiver to use yet.

The ix12 is one of 2 tx i am considering, the other being dx18. C17loadmaster, why how is the ix12 not working, can i know? Beside being only 12channels, i heard it takes really long to bootup. The Dx18 would be faster booting up but its a discontinued product and if i am not wrong only the 1st 12 channels are high resolution. I am taking my time picking my transmitter. I heard an ix20 is oncoming?

Anyway i have a dx8g2 and happy with it. It's more that sufficient flying my planes and not anymore now with this su35. The dx8g2 can fly the su35 but everything got to be 'Y' together.

Comment

• What’s funny is I sold my DX8G2 AND DX18 gen 1 mode 2 to purchase the iX-12. The boot up time and changing planes is not really an for me. Mine works fine in that aspect. Sometimes it will crash and freeze up and become unresponsive requiring me to unplug the battery. Then when turning it back on, the model will be corrupted and you’re back to square one. Usually you just have to backup to an SD card and the only additional work is rebinding.

There has since been an update that fixed a lot of that though...

The worst that has happened lately is I will prepare for takeoff and everything works fine. Then, after a minute or so into flight I will realize that I have no telemetry callouts or timer... that’s because the Airware program has shut down.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                Saw this on social media

Name:	86D80959-5EBA-496A-8474-D29C69395658.jpeg
Views:	839
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	213034
                My God, I am all over this. I really want more info. Unfortunately it looks like the 2 seat version (judging by how huge that hump is). I really hope they consider selling a 1 seat version too. The giant hump just isn't doing it for me...

Comment

What’s funny is I sold my DX8G2 AND DX18 gen 1 mode 2 to purchase the iX-12. The boot up time and changing planes is not really an for me. Mine works fine in that aspect. Sometimes it will crash and freeze up and become unresponsive requiring me to unplug the battery. Then when turning it back on, the model will be corrupted and you’re back to square one. Usually you just have to backup to an SD card and the only additional work is rebinding.

There has since been an update that fixed a lot of that though...

The worst that has happened lately is I will prepare for takeoff and everything works fine. Then, after a minute or so into flight I will realize that I have no telemetry callouts or timer... that’s because the Airware program has shut down.
                  'Crash and freeze' sounds scary. I'm leaning toward dx18g2 now.

Comment

• The interface is awesome though... I’ll give it that. Also, using forward programming on the newer powersafe receivers is awesome. You can program any mixes or configurations you want, then run through an extremely easy checklist and you will have AS3X on all flight control surfaces. Which is all adjustable in flight... All that’s needed is the RX & TX. When Airware shuts down while you’re bound to a receiver, you do not lose control of the plane, just voice alerts and timers (including telemetry)

I do know they are coming out with an updated iX-??. I would buy it. The reason there are any issues with the iX-12 is because the hardware isn’t as capable as it could be with todays technology. They used the android platform they did because it was the most capable and reliable for what features they were planning to release.

Comment

• Hey guys I’m looking for wrecked or new tail piece so I can work on a chute mechanism Thanks!

Name:	718F404A-10DE-4094-AE51-9238DCBEDB99.jpeg
Views:	887
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	215921

Comment

• 530-320-8937 just text me...

Comment

530-320-8937 just text me...
                          Dropped you a text...

Comment

• Great thread all, thank you. I am about to buy the SU-35 from Freewing but I want to make sure that I will be able to fly it with a DX8 Gen 2? I know most of you have IX12s or even better but I want to make sure that I will be able to use thrust vectoring (hopefully on its own channel) using a DX8 Gen 2? Is the brown camo a newer version that the grey camo at Motion RC as I would like to get the newest version? Are the wings easy to remove for transport? Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Vegas_RC_ACE View Post
                              Great thread all, thank you. I am about to buy the SU-35 from Freewing but I want to make sure that I will be able to fly it with a DX8 Gen 2? I know most of you have IX12s or even better but I want to make sure that I will be able to use thrust vectoring (hopefully on its own channel) using a DX8 Gen 2? Is the brown camo a newer version that the grey camo at Motion RC as I would like to get the newest version? Are the wings easy to remove for transport? Thank you!
                              First, there is no evidence to suggest that most people are using IX12 or better for this plane. Just because a couple of people have posted that they do for their own reasons, doesn't necessarily mean a lot of people do. I fly my SU-35 on DX8G2 just fine. In fact, you could get away with flying it on a DX6 and still have the TV nozzles working in conjunction with the elevators (ie, "tailerons") if you so desire. If you want to have independent steering servo, you then need 7 channels. If you want the ailerons on separate channels so you can have flaperons, you need 8 channels. If you want the elevators on separate channels, then you need more. Personally, I see no need for flaperons on this plane. It lands slow enough without them. Do you really want and need the complexity of having everything on separate channels? I prefer to keep it simple and this plane works quite well with "simple".
                              As for the wing removal, I can't say. I keep mine in one piece with the exception of the nose cone, which comes off when not flying it. My little VW wagon has no problem holding it in one piece.

Comment

• I fly it on a DX-9
                                TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• XViper and TiredIron GRB thank you both very much for your input... That is beyond great news! I want to use the best setup that I can with a DX8 Gen 2. I really don't want to spend the money for an IX12, if I don't have to. Xviper, you are absolutely correct, I do want to keep everything simple as long as it works properly. Do you guys have a link or the info for what the proper setup would be for 8 channels with the SU-35? In addition, is there a difference between the grey camo version and brown camo version at Motion RC? Is one newer than the other? Thanks again for your assistance as I will be ordering this bird on Monday after a little more research to confirm the wings are easily removable. This is the most exciting EDF jet that I have come across due to the thrust vectoring which provides so many amazing flight options!

Comment

XViper and TiredIron GRB thank you both very much for your input... That is beyond great news! I want to use the best setup that I can with a DX8 Gen 2. I really don't want to spend the money for an IX12, if I don't have to. Xviper, you are absolutely correct, I do want to keep everything simple as long as it works properly. Do you guys have a link or the info for what the proper setup would be for 8 channels with the SU-35? In addition, is there a difference between the grey camo version and brown camo version at Motion RC? Is one newer than the other? Thanks again for your assistance as I will be ordering this bird on Monday after a little more research to confirm the wings are easily removable. This is the most exciting EDF jet that I have come across due to the thrust vectoring which provides so many amazing flight options!
                                    Mine happens to be set up on 8 channels. I've put the steering onto a separate channel (AUX1 or flap) so it doesn't work when the gear is up (a mix is needed to do this - RUD > flap with gear switch A to shut it off). The air rudder and nozzles rudder are "Y'd" so they work together. One nozzle is plugged into AUX2, the other is plugged into AUX3. Each nozzle is mixed with elevator AND aileron (a total of 4 mixes - controlled by switch B - if you don't assign a switch, they're ON all the time). I could have just as easily gone with 6 channels and not have isolated steering but with 8-ch available, I decided to use them. I may go with "tailerons" one day if for whatever reason, I need a channel freed up (eg, airbrake but even that isn't needed). Sorry, I can't give you a link. You just have to play with mixes till you get it all working the right way.
                                    I'm pretty sure that the grey and brown ones are the same now. I had the first version (original) grey one and that one came with Deans connectors which melted on the first flight resulting in a total loss of the plane. The latest versions are version 2 and come with EC5 connectors, more powerful fans and perhaps even slightly bigger ESCs. Each wing is held on with 2 screws. You also have to disconnect one servo lead, so not too bad. Because you are yanking those wings off and on, I would suggest you reinforce those plastic wing screw anchors by squeezing in some foam safe CA so they don't work themselves loose over time. I would also seal the whole plane with either Minwax or Mod Podge to protect the foam from finger dents and hanger rash. There's a lot of foam with some very large expanses. I feel the foam is a bit on the soft side. Also reinforce the retract mounts.
                                    Considering that the new Eflite (FMS) SU-30 costs so much more (and no VT), this plane is a bargain. It's old and likely is reaching the end of it's lifespan, so Freewing may be blowing them out the door in preparation for a replacement.

Comment

Great thread all, thank you. I am about to buy the SU-35 from Freewing but I want to make sure that I will be able to fly it with a DX8 Gen 2? I know most of you have IX12s or even better but I want to make sure that I will be able to use thrust vectoring (hopefully on its own channel) using a DX8 Gen 2? Is the brown camo a newer version that the grey camo at Motion RC as I would like to get the newest version? Are the wings easy to remove for transport? Thank you!

Welcome to the club!

The only versions available at Motion are the "newer" version. So either brown or blue are exactly the same other than the paint on the top half of the fuselage.

The wings are held on by only 2 screws each, and only have a single servo connection per side. So it is one of the easiest to remove the wings for transport.

Comment

• Xviper thank you very much for the excellent and detailed information...I hope you're correct with a new model in the future but I doubt it because none of their current jets include thrust vectoring. It seems like they've gone away from it... Thanks to your kindness my setup process will be greatly simplified! C17Loadmaster thank you for the detailed model and wing information that is great and will make transportation easy for me. I am going to order the grey camo version. You guys are the best! Wishing you both fun flights and soft landings!

Comment

• We have yet to develop a scale PNP jet in EPO foam with TV (thrust vectoring). Insightfully, all six Freewing TV'd birds to date were built around EPS foam.
                                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                          X