Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, my SU came in and i am nearly done with it. Just have to figure out the best place for rx antennas and program the radio.
    SeaViper, are you able to upload your OpenTX Su35 file for me? Only if its not too much trouble. I think i am pretty good with Taranis radios but, wouldn't mind looking at yours.

I think there was a question for me up at the top regarding flaps... I meant flaperons.

Yes, after that crash, P47 was had minimal damage and i was out flying the next day.

Regarding SU.
    On my first model, Su35, the one i wrecked earlier, i had a lot of "play" out of the box. Now, on this second one, i also have same amount of free play on the elevator. It seems like it's norm for this model... is that right? Do you guys have "play" in your elevator too? I will make a short vid and will post it here to show what i mean. I know InTheTubeDeep had the same problem and in fact he made a video on it. I believe he had to replace servos. I think i watched every video associated with this model on YouTube lol.

Comment

• Hi there. I have very little play on mine. I will upload my file if you want.

but I think I might just make a video on it too.

this bird is awesome. I pulled my youtube videos because we got a 4k camera and i am trying to get all my videos into 4k format.

maybe i can get some video this week.

i ended up using elevons while flaps were down.

i also saw a guy in australia who said he had slop in the elevator and wouldnt fly too fast because of it.
      i disagree entirely with that. Mine flies fast and smooth.
      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Here is a pdf of my Su-35 settings as of today. Hope it helps.

I use the Amber 2.2 sounds

Disregard the curves for lights (lgts). I use a slider to switch light modes, but you have to go all the way to one end then back to switch each mode. Curves were not used.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam CB View Post
          Well, my SU came in and i am nearly done with it. Just have to figure out the best place for rx antennas and program the radio.
          SeaViper, are you able to upload your OpenTX Su35 file for me? Only if its not too much trouble. I think i am pretty good with Taranis radios but, wouldn't mind looking at yours.

I think there was a question for me up at the top regarding flaps... I meant flaperons.

Yes, after that crash, P47 was had minimal damage and i was out flying the next day.

Regarding SU.
          On my first model, Su35, the one i wrecked earlier, i had a lot of "play" out of the box. Now, on this second one, i also have same amount of free play on the elevator. It seems like it's norm for this model... is that right? Do you guys have "play" in your elevator too? I will make a short vid and will post it here to show what i mean. I know InTheTubeDeep had the same problem and in fact he made a video on it. I believe he had to replace servos. I think i watched every video associated with this model on YouTube lol.
          I didn’t have success with this model until disabling TV for takeoff and landing. Also, I use a low amount of throw on the control surfaces. I switch to high rates when I drop the gear for landing and select full flaperons. After making those changes it made all the difference.

Comment

• Also reference the slop in the elevator, yes check the servos. I had to replace one of mine.

I now use TV and flaps for takeoff. If your TV is aligned properly and you run some expo on your TV channel for rudder, I see no problem with using it. It helps me get off the grass. Make sure your TV gimbals are aligned as perfectly as you can get them. And I mean right on the money.

They also forgot to ship me the metal collars to secure the elevators on the axle. I made my own. This may also help with the slop.
            https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...037#post152037

Comment

• I’ve had multiple, all of them have slop in the elevator. It has been an issue.

Comment

• C17loadmaster
                C17loadmaster commented
                Editing a comment
                *Hasn't been an issue

• C17 did you ever maiden yours?

Comment

• Not the Inrunner version. I fly the stock version all the time. I’m away for Air Force stuff but I’ll video that planes maiden

Comment

• The snow finally disappeared from the field and I got to maiden mine yesterday. The video you see was taken using an Iphone and the glare from daylight made it hard to keep the plane in frame but here it is anyway. I used high rates and TV for the flight and with stabilizer functioning, no flaperons. The video is actually my second flight. The first one was my trimming flight and the 2nd one was my "experimenting" flight. This version is much more powerful than the one I had nearly 6 years ago, but still doesn't have quite enough power to hover - close but ................ The landing gear is also much stronger and installed way more securely. My first take off, I kept it on the ground longer and it took about 150 feet to get off the ground. Note how much distance it used up in my second take off. The landing was "OK" except for turning a bit too sharp at the end. After only 2 flights, I haven't quite figured out how to grease the landing on our rough field but because it can come in very slowly, I think my next time out with it should be much better. Except for the little pitot tube, it came back in one piece. Oh, and that little nose strut brace thing did, in fact, pop off on the first landing, even zip tied. I'll be doing the nut/bolt mod on it before flying it again.

Comment

• Nice job xviper. Glad to see she made it back in one piece! She flies good doesnt she? I am amazed at how wide the flight envelope is. Mine hauls the mail and then slows down to just a crawl. Love it.

It's pretty easy to bang the nose gear. I've done it a few times. Luckily the strut brace has stayed on. No damage yet to the gear....fingers crossed.

I have been re-organizing the youtube channel. Hopefully we can get out and get some decent 4k footage of the bird this week weather permitting.

Comment

• Of all the jets I own, this one is the closest to a glider. ;)

Comment

• Got in 3 flights on the su-35 today.

Here is data from two of them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30536.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.2 KB ID:	157224Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30537.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.3 KB ID:	157225

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00004.JPG Views:	1 Size:	149.2 KB ID:	157226

And here is a video of flight number 3 today...

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                          C17 did you ever maiden yours?
                          I’m still in the middle of upgrading my new SU. It’s going to have as much done to it as I can. Including major strengthening to the fuselage, from the CG line forward. I’ll post when it’s done. It only has a few upgrades done to it so far.

Comment

• lookin good!

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                              lookin good!
                              Thanks man. I’m not even halfway done yet. There is going to be built with every modification that I know of.
                              I’m having Callie make a good set of decals. The set supplied from Freewing is awful, they’re all wrong. Also, 904 crashed on takeoff in 2009 and was scrapped. I changed my everyday SU to 901. This one will be 902, the only version around today with this paint scheme. They will have ALL of the small detail nomenclature and correct sized decals. The more detailed the decals, the better it will look.

Comment

• I like it! Cant wait to see her fly!

i did not know that 904 crashed.

Mine has all the sensor technology i can put on it. I also use 14 channels and a ton of mixing. But she sure flies nice. Maybe i will do a repaint one day.
                                the stock decals do have issues.

i prefer the heavier batteries in mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post

I have the same exact setup for 90 and 70mm F-16s and they work well. On the SU-35 I also use flaperons but in order for them to be effective enough without tailerons, I have to switch to HIGH rates when I get setup for landing. So I actually have to select 3 different switches to get the plane in landing configuration. It slows down to a good landing speed and just floats in with little throttle.

I am using a 10 channel receiver and each of the TV servos take up channels so I have one spare channel. It could be the other elevator for taileron use, or a gyro on/off. I have it hooked up to a HobbyEagle A3S3 gyro. All I need is one more open channel to be able to set it up the way I would prefer.
                                  I definitely like this, and the ME-262, on larger batteries. I use 6000mah that weigh around 820g and I think it’s way easier to land. It still floats in on approach but has has more stability. I’m excited to have the extra 2 channels so I can program tailerons and add a gyro gain adjustment. Also, I’m excited to have telemetry sensors. The last time I crashed is because the battery died in an area where trees were all around. So the voltage will definitely be set up as “spoken” warnings on my transmitter. Being as I used Spektrum I couldn’t have over a 10 channel RX with telemetry without spending $210.00.

Have any of you built in a support system for the vertical stabilizers? I did for the SU that’s under construction and it works great. I can post some pics

Comment

• This is the support I made for the weak vertical stabilizer. It’s made with scrap carbon “hollow tub” support for the sunken base in the fuselage and for the length of the support that runs inside the stabilizer. I had a hollow copper tube that I used as a spacer between the two. I pre-drilled the holes in both aircraft parts most of the way the carbon tube was going to be inserted , then I pushed them in, removed, and added foam glue and installed for the final time. It works great ???????? I made the support as far back as I could while still utilizing the stock attachment points
                                    Last edited by C17loadmaster; Nov 16, 2018, 12:44 PM. Reason: Added text to the pictures

Comment

• I didnt do supports on the verticals. Mine are sturdy enough i think.

On the l39 and the su35 i prefer the heavier batteries. Right now i am flying with the turnigy heavy duty batts. That twin 70 will eat batteries for lunch. I keep the su35 to 3 mins or less. The flights are short but still a lot of fun.

i have the yellow one in the box. Its for sale. But if it doesnt sell i will use it for spares.

hopefully i can fly mine this weekend

Comment

• Flew the Su-35 today three times. Hit 109 mph. Not bad.

Comment

Working...
                                        X