Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radford RC Mine was 2020 version, got rid of the green ( bright and horrible ) and replaced with brown, refinished the yellow, underside now beige, nose now beige, all matt finish. See pg6 item 104 in the Share your pics and videos section

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
      Certainly the "bright green" is a terrible color. The dull green doesn't look all that bad. Put on a very light grey "wash" and the overall effect could be pretty good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Su-35BM_Medvedev-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.1 KB ID:	304674
      Also the yellow is less vibrant and the underside of the jet should be grey, not yellow. ;)

Though to be fair, the winter camo should have camo on top and bottom and it doesn't so... there's that too. I still prefer it aesthetically speaking :)

Comment

• MRC sent me a pic of the actual model. I still can't decide if I like it. At least not bright green.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SU-35.png
Views:	452
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	304684

Comment

• I bet with some belly repaint to grey and adding a coat of matt-finish WBPU on top, it would totally look the part :)

Comment

• Hope so. I bought it.

Comment

• Welcome to the Superflanker Club!

Comment

• Beware of loud-screechy noises...

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post

I ended up keeping TV but ditching the wing servos and rudder servos and flying tailerons. Very light, very simple, very acrobatic.
                  I think I like this idea. My much smaller F-8 Crusader is set up with only tailerons and throttle and it flys great. With TV added the Flanker should be just as good. As Alpha said, one of the lightest and simplest ways to configure the plane. My goal is not to fly like Airguardian, but rather to have a light, agile, fun flying plane with decent flight times. Basically, the opposite of my Su-30.

I am debating adding a gyro. If using the gyro to do the taileron mixing I assume that I would need to Y the TV servos to the taileron servos. Not sure that this would let me have separate trims for the tailerons and TV nozzles. I know Kallend said he has flown his plane for years with the servos Y'd and I guess likes it that way.

The other choice is to do all the mixing in the Tx. But then I don't know if the gyro will work with that configuration. Plane probably doesn't need a gyro anyway....but they always help, right?

Comment

• Would depend on the gyro. I wouldn't typically recommend such a setup as you miss a few things but if you are truly after a very light setup, it doesn't sound bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

I think I like this idea. My much smaller F-8 Crusader is set up with only tailerons and throttle and it flys great. With TV added the Flanker should be just as good. As Alpha said, one of the lightest and simplest ways to configure the plane. My goal is not to fly like Airguardian, but rather to have a light, agile, fun flying plane with decent flight times. Basically, the opposite of my Su-30.

I am debating adding a gyro. If using the gyro to do the taileron mixing I assume that I would need to Y the TV servos to the taileron servos. Not sure that this would let me have separate trims for the tailerons and TV nozzles. I know Kallend said he has flown his plane for years with the servos Y'd and I guess likes it that way.

The other choice is to do all the mixing in the Tx. But then I don't know if the gyro will work with that configuration. Plane probably doesn't need a gyro anyway....but they always help, right?
                      Y'ing each taileron to each VT nozzle will eliminate the ability to trim each individually. If you trim one, you trim the other. If you use a gyro and mix the VT to the taileron, the gyro will control whichever one you hook up to it and have no effect on the other. The answer would to be use 2 gyros.

Comment

• Yep, if you want to control all the surfaces, either 2 gyros or an advanced gyro with separate outputs would be ideal.

Or just a single gyro on nozzles should do most of the work for post-stall anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          Y'ing each taileron to each VT nozzle will eliminate the ability to trim each individually. If you trim one, you trim the other. If you use a gyro and mix the VT to the taileron, the gyro will control whichever one you hook up to it and have no effect on the other. The answer would to be use 2 gyros.
                          Two gyros (A3L) might work...with the right mixing. May be more than my old bald head can figure out. Will have to mull it over a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                            Yep, if you want to control all the surfaces, either 2 gyros or an advanced gyro with separate outputs would be ideal.

Or just a single gyro on nozzles should do most of the work for post-stall anyway.
                            The problem is how the Tx is configured. Either "normal wing" or "flying wing". To use the A3L gyro the Tx needs to be Normal. So, if I feed the Normal A and E channel outputs to the gyro the gyro does the mixing to make the TVs move like tailerons. But, I would still be stuck with having Normal A/E outputs to the wing and tail (no tailerons on the elevators). Also any trim changes to the A/E outputs would be applied to both control surfaces and to the TVs. With the proper mixing I could probably get around this issue. I don't know if I would be happy not having the elevators acting as tailerons.

Two A3L's with the right mixing might do the trick.

Comment

Y'ing each taileron to each VT nozzle will eliminate the ability to trim each individually. If you trim one, you trim the other..
                              I haven't found this to be a problem in 4+ years of flying it. I don't think I've touched the trims in over 4 years. My gyro works on the tailerons and the TV.

Comment

• In the uk on the 29th March in theory lockdown rules are relaxed and external sports and leisure facilities will re open so DIRTY SU is now ready and waiting

Name:	IMG_20210322_091654[1].jpg
Views:	436
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	305182

Name:	IMG_20210322_091920[1].jpg
Views:	386
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	305183

Name:	IMG_20210322_091359[1].jpg
Views:	399
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	305184

Name:	IMG_20210322_091612[1].jpg
Views:	397
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	305185

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                                  Yep, if you want to control all the surfaces, either 2 gyros or an advanced gyro with separate outputs would be ideal.

The Spektrum SRLX2 receivers will stabilize any surface (or TV) designated as a control surface in the channel assignment.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

I haven't found this to be a problem in 4+ years of flying it. I don't think I've touched the trims in over 4 years. My gyro works on the tailerons and the TV.
                                    That is exactly what I'm thinking I will do, too. The "KISS" principle at work!

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post
                                      In the uk on the 29th March in theory lockdown rules are relaxed and external sports and leisure facilities will re open so DIRTY SU is now ready and waiting

Name:	IMG_20210322_091654[1].jpg
Views:	436
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	305182
                                      That's one rough runway.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Same here. If they (VT nozzles) "look" straight, I never touch them. I was merely answering someone's questions about it. I see a few people who, for whatever reason feel the need to separate everything and have the ability to adjust everything individually. I dunno, maybe they have an 18-ch radio and they have to use as many channels as possible to get their money's worth?

Comment

I dunno, maybe they have an 18-ch radio and they have to use as many channels as possible to get their money's worth?
                                          It IS worth your money.

Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                                          no tailerons on the elevators
                                          Eternal shame on you!

Comment

Working...
                                          X