X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TPS View Post
    First flight and plane flew very well for about 1.5 minutes and then went into uncontrollable spiral to the ground. Noticed that one of the stab servos was completely stripped. I do not use the BB except for the lighting. After seeing what other folks have to say, I'll go to better quality servos for the stab. I ordered a new fuselage, nose cone, nose landing gear and stab servos. Mine is powered by a 90mm Jetfan, 2250 HET motor and a 160A Castle Creations ESC. Plane took off with just slight elevator input and needed only 2 clicks of right aileron trim to fly hands off. My Jeti transmitter data log confirmed the stab problem. None of the control rods fell off and every one of them were tight. If anyone is going to change to different brand of stab servos, please advise what brand and size. Thank you.
    Mine maiden today almost ended in disaster as well, maybe your rudders did what mine did or something crazy like that. Here is my flight report for this morning.

Here is my maiden flight report. First off I wasn't going to maiden this weekend because I didn't have the right ESC yet, but I decided to go for it using the F-22 ESC that I had and added and extension to it so the EC5 would reach my battery. I didn't bother putting on the elevator covers or antennas yet or painting anything, won't until I get the quirks out of it. So, double checked everything, only the rudders, gear, steering and lights are running throught the BB. I did not see any glitches at first, I missed something and I found this out when I rotated on maiden and the gear started going up the jet went hard left, so I moved the sticks and took my time and got her trimmed out but it felt kind of weird for some reason, like a yaw problem, so I put the gear down and I had to trim again, strange I thought, put the gear up and had to trim again, well, put the flaps down and got a roll to the left, okay I can fix that but the gear up or down was strange, anyway I landed just fine, little hot with no flaps but I have plenty of runway, taxi back and all is good but I noticed rudders are straight, ailerons good, elevator good, so I put the gear up and the rudders kicked to the left as soon as the nose gear disabled, dropped the gear and the rudders went back straight, now I'am mad, this just happened on my new Camo L-39, same problem, so I bypassed everything on the L-39 and it works great, I did forget to check this problem on the F-18, so I bypassed the rudders and steering and put two more flight with no issues. I will say again and you can disagree, these BB boxes are junk and I hope they come up with another solution. Well anyway it flies very well, looks great, take off was straight and used very little runway, landing was the same, those big flaps work and required very little up elevator, it almost landed itself, wow what a floater, nice flare onto my new main wheels.

CG 85mm with gear down
    Ailerons 16mm/no expo or dual rate
    Elevator 25mm/no expo or dual rate
    Flaps 45mm
    Very little rudder needed
    Attached Files

Comment

• Very interesting DCORSAIR...Glad you made it back down safely and was able to later fly again and enjoy it although bypassing the BB. I am sure FW is already feverishly looking over the BB with this amount of known issues.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Mine maiden today almost ended in disaster as well, maybe your rudders did what mine did or something crazy like that. Here is my flight report for this morning.

Here is my maiden flight report. First off I wasn't going to maiden this weekend because I didn't have the right ESC yet, but I decided to go for it using the F-22 ESC that I had and added and extension to it so the EC5 would reach my battery. I didn't bother putting on the elevator covers or antennas yet or painting anything, won't until I get the quirks out of it. So, double checked everything, only the rudders, gear, steering and lights are running throught the BB. I did not see any glitches at first, I missed something and I found this out when I rotated on maiden and the gear started going up the jet went hard left, so I moved the sticks and took my time and got her trimmed out but it felt kind of weird for some reason, like a yaw problem, so I put the gear down and I had to trim again, strange I thought, put the gear up and had to trim again, well, put the flaps down and got a roll to the left, okay I can fix that but the gear up or down was strange, anyway I landed just fine, little hot with no flaps but I have plenty of runway, taxi back and all is good but I noticed rudders are straight, ailerons good, elevator good, so I put the gear up and the rudders kicked to the left as soon as the nose gear disabled, dropped the gear and the rudders went back straight, now I'am mad, this just happened on my new Camo L-39, same problem, so I bypassed everything on the L-39 and it works great, I did forget to check this problem on the F-18, so I bypassed the rudders and steering and put two more flight with no issues. I will say again and you can disagree, these BB boxes are junk and I hope they come up with another solution. Well anyway it flies very well, looks great, take off was straight and used very little runway, landing was the same, those big flaps work and required very little up elevator, it almost landed itself, wow what a floater, nice flare onto my new main wheels.

CG 85mm with gear down
        Ailerons 16mm/no expo or dual rate
        Elevator 25mm/no expo or dual rate
        Flaps 45mm
        Very little rudder needed
        My BB Box is junk too. Flaps wont work, except sometimes, and once in a while both. Thinking of just leaving gear and lights plugged into it IF they send me a new one. Last time I had problems Motion wasn't too eager to help.

This thing is SERIOUSLY under powered just like the F-4 after programming the ESC as mentioned in the earlier threads.

Wonder if the high performance F-15 fan and esc combo would be better

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
          TPS your crash is eerily identical to what happened to me. Mine also was about 1.5 minutes into the flight when it suddenly went into an uncontrollable spiral into the ground. Mine too was approximately 200 feet or so high starting a slight banking turn when it occurred. I don't have the luxury of a data log however so a full warranty replacement is likely not in the cards for me. Oh well...All I know is the next PNP is going to be gone over with a fine tooth comb and if the same exact thing happens again, I will be putting in a ticket myself to my friendly and capable co-workers.

;)

Jetman64, I am sorry to hear about all of those issues. I didn't have any of those but I do know what a royal PITA it can be to try to replace servos/retracts when rooting through the existing mold's channels. These molds aren't meant to easily come apart for those kinds of repairs and fixes unfortunately. I have often times bypassed the original channels just to get the darn thing working again even if it means frankensteining the model a bit. Very frustrating.

This is why I am still crossing my fingers that FW will start developing servos and retracts that connect at their base so a replacement does NOT involve repiping wires but simply a quick connect/disconnect at the source, not unlike the wing harnesses these days. Now THAT would be absolutely a dream and one I hope is realized in the next few years if not sooner.
          Arose,
          That would be nice, and I’m like you when I get a new bird. I go through my routine of building, settings up and checking the entire bird out as I go. I in fact did frankinstien my F-18 after I took the BB out, because there was no way I was going to fly it that way. If something happened, I’d be like after your incident, not knowing what caused it. At least with my setup, I’d have a good idea what happened/caused it. I like the idea of the BB, it sure makes things tidy, but there’s work that needs doing to make it more reliable.
          I have several Turbine Jets as well, but my MRC/Freewing Jets are my favs to fly. I’m still looking for that 80/90mm A-7ll & F105 or maybe even a F106 Delta Dart.

Comment

• It's long ago but to the federal zz spec. 17025 accredited labs.

A super mic is what we used to cal them if we didn't have a laser micrometer. To check the lips of the ball links the inside jaws of a caliper are best.

Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
            To what certification? Micrometer is what you seek.

Comment

• To you and LB. You can do it your way but going bacl to my helo days the printing always went to the outside and the larger diameter to the in. It's what I do with the Freewing and other ball links too...

Originally posted by janmb View Post

I would advise the exact opposite. In the degree there is any difference at all, the link needs to go on the "hardest" way, not the easiest. If the link should ever get off the ball, you want it to fail toward the inside, not let go entirely.

Better yet, put it on any way you like and secure with a small washer.

Comment

• I put this on the F-18 thread on RCG in response to someone who said he proved his MCB-E is faulty and not because of RX compatibility. Figured it may do some good here too.

So far I have had the L-39, F-22 and F/A-18C with the MCB-E. Prior to the F-18 I was using a JR XP9303 converted to 2.4GHz using XPS. I had an XPS Nano RX in the L-39, and the XPS Nano RX with the X10 channel expander board in the F-22. In the F-18 I went straight to Graupner and did not have any issues at all with the MCB-E.

On the L-39, everything worked fine with the gear up, but rudder and nose steering stopped working with the gear down. Sometimes the rudder and steering servos would twitch on their own as well with gear down. Bypassed the MCB-E for rudder and nose steering and went direct to the RX and no issues up until the point I sold it a few months ago.

On my F-22, same as the L-39 everything worked fine with gear up, but as soon as you dropped the gear the rudder and nose steering servos went wild, deflecting rudders up to 8mm. They still moved with stick input, but were chattering like crazy. Once again I bypassed the MCB-E for rudder and nose steering, and everything worked fine.

So I've been meaning to move the F-22 over to the Graupner radio, and decided first to try a little experiment. I got 2 great flights on my F-22 this morning still using the XPS setup with rudder and nose steering direct to the RX. I just went back in and hooked everything back up stock with the XPS RX, and once again rudders and nose steering are acting crazy. So I then stripped out the XPS system and put in a Graupner GR-16L RX. Now everything is connected to the MCB-E and lo and behold everything works perfectly.

This tells me the MCB-E in my F-22 is NOT defective. What I believe the issue is, and I have put forth this theory before, is that the MCB-E is sensitive to voltage input from the RX (and yes, I consider that a problem, but it won't be fixed by getting a replacement MCB-E as I went down that road with the L-39). I'd be willing to bet that the voltage output from my XPS RX is higher than the Graupner, and the MCB-E doesn't like it. So if you're having issues with your MCB-E ("blue box" or "BB"), just unplug the rudders and nose steering from the MCB-E and Y them direct to your RX. I bet that would solve 99% of the problems people are having with it.
                Pat

Comment

• If I don't change my ball links to 2-56 versions (even went up to 4-40 on my F-4) I always put a small washer on the outboard side between bolt head and ball link -- just in case. Re these noted servo failures, are they the same size as on the Mig 21 and A-10 elevators? Be surprised if the F-18 puts more "G" loads on the elevator servos than the A-10 even if the flying stabs are not aerodynamically balanced? So far my stock servos have been flawless on those two models but getting gun shy with all of these new reports. Same with the B/B. I have been using these as designed and no problems but again getting gun shy --- I do have a good supply of those double end connectors (Maxx sells them) but after the fact is not my Plan A ! Could we be seeing a lax period of QC in the electronics department or are we pushing release dates to fast -- good to read that Motion does flight stress analysis data recording.
                  Does make one think that waiting for batch release #2 might be a wise decision .

Comment

• I am going to do that from the start. Thanks Pat !

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                      I put this on the F-18 thread on RCG in response to someone who said he proved his MCB-E is faulty and not because of RX compatibility. Figured it may do some good here too.

So far I have had the L-39, F-22 and F/A-18C with the MCB-E. Prior to the F-18 I was using a JR XP9303 converted to 2.4GHz using XPS. I had an XPS Nano RX in the L-39, and the XPS Nano RX with the X10 channel expander board in the F-22. In the F-18 I went straight to Graupner and did not have any issues at all with the MCB-E.

On the L-39, everything worked fine with the gear up, but rudder and nose steering stopped working with the gear down. Sometimes the rudder and steering servos would twitch on their own as well with gear down. Bypassed the MCB-E for rudder and nose steering and went direct to the RX and no issues up until the point I sold it a few months ago.

On my F-22, same as the L-39 everything worked fine with gear up, but as soon as you dropped the gear the rudder and nose steering servos went wild, deflecting rudders up to 8mm. They still moved with stick input, but were chattering like crazy. Once again I bypassed the MCB-E for rudder and nose steering, and everything worked fine.

So I've been meaning to move the F-22 over to the Graupner radio, and decided first to try a little experiment. I got 2 great flights on my F-22 this morning still using the XPS setup with rudder and nose steering direct to the RX. I just went back in and hooked everything back up stock with the XPS RX, and once again rudders and nose steering are acting crazy. So I then stripped out the XPS system and put in a Graupner GR-16L RX. Now everything is connected to the MCB-E and lo and behold everything works perfectly.

This tells me the MCB-E in my F-22 is NOT defective. What I believe the issue is, and I have put forth this theory before, is that the MCB-E is sensitive to voltage input from the RX (and yes, I consider that a problem, but it won't be fixed by getting a replacement MCB-E as I went down that road with the L-39). I'd be willing to bet that the voltage output from my XPS RX is higher than the Graupner, and the MCB-E doesn't like it. So if you're having issues with your MCB-E ("blue box" or "BB"), just unplug the rudders and nose steering from the MCB-E and Y them direct to your RX. I bet that would solve 99% of the problems people are having with it.
                      So that explains the flap problems with my MCB-E box? Everything works fine as long as only the gear are plugged into the MCB-E, and everything else direct to the receiver.

Comment

• So, I apologize if this was posted someplace already, but I didn't see it so I have to ask, on the elevator, where am I measuring the 7mm called out in the manual? I have always been able to figure it out on other jets, but that picture has me stumped. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Peteflys View Post
                          So, I apologize if this was posted someplace already, but I didn't see it so I have to ask, on the elevator, where am I measuring the 7mm called out in the manual? I have always been able to figure it out on other jets, but that picture has me stumped. Thanks!
                          See this post:

Project Dreams: Blue Angels F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Jet from Freewing & Motion RC Official Thread https://www.hobbysquawk.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==https://www.hobbysquawk.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==https://
                          Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                            Awesome, thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Peteflys View Post
                              So, I apologize if this was posted someplace already, but I didn't see it so I have to ask, on the elevator, where am I measuring the 7mm called out in the manual? I have always been able to figure it out on other jets, but that picture has me stumped. Thanks!
                              If you place the elevator at about neutral, you will see a panel line approx. where the front tip of the elevator is. You want the tip of the elevator to be 7mm below that line so as to simulate a bit of UP elevator (ie, the tip of the elevator is 7mm below that line). This, is fact, is the neutral position for the elevator.

Comment

• "Personally I would never dream of using a Spektrum radio system without satellites on any full range model, but that's another topic I guess."

I've had nothing but great luck with Spektrum stuff.I've tested the new AR620 thoroughly and and really impressed. Can't say the same for other brands.

Mike
                                \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by killickb View Post
                                  If I don't change my ball links to 2-56 versions (even went up to 4-40 on my F-4) I always put a small washer on the outboard side between bolt head and ball link -- just in case. Re these noted servo failures, are they the same size as on the Mig 21 and A-10 elevators? Be surprised if the F-18 puts more "G" loads on the elevator servos than the A-10 even if the flying stabs are not aerodynamically balanced? So far my stock servos have been flawless on those two models but getting gun shy with all of these new reports. Same with the B/B. I have been using these as designed and no problems but again getting gun shy --- I do have a good supply of those double end connectors (Maxx sells them) but after the fact is not my Plan A ! Could we be seeing a lax period of QC in the electronics department or are we pushing release dates to fast -- good to read that Motion does flight stress analysis data recording.
                                  Does make one think that waiting for batch release #2 might be a wise decision .

Well, the sweep of the F-18 tailerons puts the center of the surface far behind the rotation point - thus adding far more load than a more balanced area would. This might explain why some experience issues
                                  Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Well, the sweep of the F-18 tailerons puts the center of the surface far behind the rotation point - thus adding far more load than a more balanced area would. This might explain why some experience issues
                                    I checked mine last night but ran out of ambition before starting a balance. Needs almost 3/4 oz. of lead at the leading edge (er flying stab) to get it close.
                                    My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Surface balance and weight balance are two very different things.

Originally posted by bill34207 View Post

I checked mine last night but ran out of ambition before starting a balance. Needs almost 3/4 oz. of lead at the leading edge (er flying stab) to get it close.

Comment

• Is anyone having good luck with their F18??? Multiple flights without issues? Bench testing mine I’ve had zero issues with anything but am now nervous to fly it.

Comment

• I got in 2 great flights this morning including the maiden. Hope to get two or three more tomorrow. No issues so far.
                                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                                          X