X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    There is a difference, use a caliper and the side with the dots is smaller than the other. I install with dot side out...
    EVD, Thanks for the pictures, but would'nt you want the 'smaller' side' in so it would be more difficult to pull off? Just my thoughts...:Thinking: Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Drag everyone is having issues. I bought the ARF version all gray. Wondering if those problems exist in that version? I don’t need to remove my wings for transport so I might be taking the BB out completely and wiring everything directly to my receiver. Alpha, does the plane need the BB to operate correctly? I love my Horus radio 😁 switched over to Frsky years ago and never looked back, totally dig it with OpenTx. I’m in the middle of painting my 90mm Stinger so won’t be starting this one for a few weeks. I hope all the kinks get worked out.

Comment

• Wonder if the MCB-D box will be any better as that even has a port for our after burners....

Comment

• First flight and plane flew very well for about 1.5 minutes and then went into uncontrollable spiral to the ground. Noticed that one of the stab servos was completely stripped. I do not use the BB except for the lighting. After seeing what other folks have to say, I'll go to better quality servos for the stab. I ordered a new fuselage, nose cone, nose landing gear and stab servos. Mine is powered by a 90mm Jetfan, 2250 HET motor and a 160A Castle Creations ESC. Plane took off with just slight elevator input and needed only 2 clicks of right aileron trim to fly hands off. My Jeti transmitter data log confirmed the stab problem. None of the control rods fell off and every one of them were tight. If anyone is going to change to different brand of stab servos, please advise what brand and size. Thank you.

Comment

• Hmm clearly stab servos not up to the force on those full flying stabs. So glad I'm learning all this before getting mine. But annoying having to spend more money to prevent crashing the plane but of course would only be warranty if the plane crashed and was proved to be the issue and then you'd just get the same servo sent to ya.

Sounding more and more as if supply of these models should be halted until these issues are sorted.

Comment

• Originally posted by TPS View Post
              First flight and plane flew very well for about 1.5 minutes and then went into uncontrollable spiral to the ground. Noticed that one of the stab servos was completely stripped. I do not use the BB except for the lighting. After seeing what other folks have to say, I'll go to better quality servos for the stab. I ordered a new fuselage, nose cone, nose landing gear and stab servos. Mine is powered by a 90mm Jetfan, 2250 HET motor and a 160A Castle Creations ESC. Plane took off with just slight elevator input and needed only 2 clicks of right aileron trim to fly hands off. My Jeti transmitter data log confirmed the stab problem. None of the control rods fell off and every one of them were tight. If anyone is going to change to different brand of stab servos, please advise what brand and size. Thank you.
              Did you test the servos for a couple of minutes with a servo tester?
              And which attitude had the Hornet at the time of the incident? (Speed, pitch, bank) Thx

Comment

• Hi TPS, now that one raises an eyebrow...Please be sure to include your Jeti datalog in your Support Ticket to the CS team. Unfortunately they're off for the weekend, but I'll email the CS manager to look out for your ticket. I wish you had contacted them before ordering a new fuse/etc. I'll let their investigation run it's course but with a data log in my opinion this case would likely trigger a full warranty replacement.

I got back from a flying afternoon with the Hornet and a couple.. other... models. Three Hornets up at the same time, and we're not gentle on any control surface. We had a similar momentary issue spike with the Avanti, as I recall. It too used two servos for two control surfaces, on an similarly loaded aircraft at similar speeds. We lost a couple planes to it, then tested every servo again and reopened 20% of our inventory at the factory at the time to fly. For better or worse, we couldn't replicate the issues, and the Avanti went on to be our highest seller that year. It's frustrating not being able to replicate a clear pattern or result. The flip side of that is we just need to address each of these individually as they arise, which is what the CS team is good at and what they're there for. As I mentioned before, please contact tech support, continue to share experiences/input/feedback/tips here on the forums (both positive and negative), and we'll all keep the community informed together.

Also, for those asking about the minimum voltage on the unstabilized non-satellite receivers from Admiral and Lemon, it is "officially" 3.45v. There is a slightly lower "absolute" operational threshold that isn't publicized, but for all intents and purposes, 3.45V is the bottom. I'd reiterate again that I don't fly non-satellite receivers, in fact none of the test team here does, but we recognize we're a statistically insignificant sample size compared to the six figure quantities of receivers in circulation, so officially, I recommend flying with a satellite on a fast 90mm jet like this. It just makes sense to be a bit safer. ESC ratings have headroom, radios have low battery alarms, receivers have satellites, users do ground testing and range testing... everything adds one extra layer of protection to stave off the invisible expiration date inside our models.
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Servos were tested for about 30 minutes at various configurations. The plane was at 200 feet, slight right turn and flying at a fixed altitude. The wings and the rudders were not damaged and all the other servos were fine. Seems like the 17g servos are having problems. The tail was not damaged and the stab servos did not take a direct hit. The other stab servo was binding and when I tried to rotate it - it stripped. I did order the stock 17g servos before I read all previous inputs on this blog. I'll look for alternate servos for the stab. I'm also sending in the Jeti receiver for evaluation, just in case. I hope others will have some feedback if they encounter the same problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetman64 View Post
                    Xviper, you first must have a cable to tie a string to, I didn’t have it and there in lies the problem. I was told by MRC that this elevator servo lead problem I had, has happened to a couple others also. Why don’t you give it a try on your and let us know how you did? I know a lot of you have tons of experience as I do, but some things no one should have to deal with in a BRAND NEW JET/AIRPLANE or any new product for that matter.
                    This, I didn't know from your first post on this problem. My elevator servos both worked so I didn't have to take them out and fish the cables out. Or are you talking about the rudder connector ends? Mine were tucked into their little slots. They even painted over the 1/2 that was sticking up. Kinda glued them in place with the paint. Now, if those got dislodged during packing, then I can see where they would disappear into that tunnel and you'd have to go mining for them. Luckily, mine wasn't a "Monday or Friday" model and it all went together without incident except for my own stupidity in getting the plugs mixed up on the RX. Yours sounds like a nightmare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                      Hi TPS, now that one raises an eyebrow...Please be sure to include your Jeti datalog in your Support Ticket to the CS team. Unfortunately they're off for the weekend, but I'll email the CS manager to look out for your ticket. I wish you had contacted them before ordering a new fuse/etc. I'll let their investigation run it's course but with a data log in my opinion this case would likely trigger a full warranty replacement.

I got back from a flying afternoon with the Hornet and a couple.. other... models. Three Hornets up at the same time, and we're not gentle on the elevators. As mentioned before, please contact tech support, share experiences/input/feedback/tips here on the forums, and we'll all keep the community informed together.

Also, for those asking about the minimum voltage on the unstabilized non-satellite receivers from Admiral and Lemon, it is "officially" 3.45v. There is a slightly lower "absolute" operational threshold that isn't publicized, but for all intents and purposes, 3.45V is the bottom. I'd reiterate again that I don't fly non-satellite receivers, in fact none of the test team here does, but we recognize we're a statistically insignificant sample size compared to the six figure quantities of receivers in circulation, so officially, I recommend flying with a satellite on a fast 90mm jet like this. It just makes sense to be a bit safer. ESC ratings have headroom, radios have low battery alarms, receivers have satellites, users do ground testing and range testing... everything adds one extra layer of protection to stave off the invisible expiration date inside our models.
                      I’ve have mainly gone exclusive to lemon sat setups.

Planes
                      -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                      -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

Hi TPS, now that one raises an eyebrow...Please be sure to include your Jeti datalog in your Support Ticket to the CS team. Unfortunately they're off for the weekend, but I'll email the CS manager to look out for your ticket. I wish you had contacted them before ordering a new fuse/etc. I'll let their investigation run it's course but with a data log in my opinion this case would likely trigger a full warranty replacement.

I got back from a flying afternoon with the Hornet and a couple.. other... models. Three Hornets up at the same time, and we're not gentle on any control surface. We had a similar momentary issue spike with the Avanti, as I recall. It too used two servos for two control surfaces, on an similarly loaded aircraft at similar speeds. We lost a couple planes to it, then tested every servo again and reopened 20% of our inventory at the factory at the time to fly. For better or worse, we couldn't replicate the issues, and the Avanti went on to be our highest seller that year. It's frustrating not being able to replicate a clear pattern or result. The flip side of that is we just need to address each of these individually as they arise, which is what the CS team is good at and what they're there for. As I mentioned before, please contact tech support, continue to share experiences/input/feedback/tips here on the fo thatrums (both positive and negative), and we'll all keep the community informed together.

Thank you Alpha,
                        I'll look at all the data again and send you (or CS) the file and some post crash pictures that show the stab position. I have never lost a servo in a crash unless that servo took a direct hit. The pictures reveal that the stab was not damaged or had any ground contact. The left servo was stripped and the right servo was binding when I moved each stab after the crash. I appreciate your offer to replace the plane but was not looking for any warranty issues. I just wanted to share my experience and see if other folks might have encountered the same problem. I'll always be a MotionRC customer because of your fine service and quality airplanes.
                        The best,
                        Tom

Comment

Servos were tested for about 30 minutes at various configurations. The plane was at 200 feet, slight right turn and flying at a fixed altitude. The wings and the rudders were not damaged and all the other servos were fine. Seems like the 17g servos are having problems. The tail was not damaged and the stab servos did not take a direct hit. The other stab servo was binding and when I tried to rotate it - it stripped. I did order the stock 17g servos before I read all previous inputs on this blog. I'll look for alternate servos for the stab. I'm also sending in the Jeti receiver for evaluation, just in case. I hope others will have some feedback if they encounter the same problem.
                          Thx for the feedback. Strange, doesnˋt look like too much load on the elevator.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfgang Wagner View Post

Thx for the feedback. Strange, doesnˋt look like too much load on the elevator.
                            The Jeti data log does reveal a 36 degree sudden pitch up before it went into a spiral. After I look at the data again, I'll be able to tell the "g" forces on the plane. I'm also using the Jeti 12 channel Assist receiver with built-in 3 axis gyros.

Comment

The Jeti data log does reveal a 36 degree sudden pitch up before it went into a spiral. After I look at the data again, I'll be able to tell the "g" forces on the plane. I'm also using the Jeti 12 channel Assist receiver with built-in 3 axis gyros.
                              Yeah I use the same in most of my foamie jets too. Good rx.
                              Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• TPS your crash is eerily identical to what happened to me. Mine also was about 1.5 minutes into the flight when it suddenly went into an uncontrollable spiral into the ground. Mine too was approximately 200 feet or so high starting a slight banking turn when it occurred. I don't have the luxury of a data log however so a full warranty replacement is likely not in the cards for me. Oh well...All I know is the next PNP is going to be gone over with a fine tooth comb and if the same exact thing happens again, I will be putting in a ticket myself to my friendly and capable co-workers.

;)

Jetman64, I am sorry to hear about all of those issues. I didn't have any of those but I do know what a royal PITA it can be to try to replace servos/retracts when rooting through the existing mold's channels. These molds aren't meant to easily come apart for those kinds of repairs and fixes unfortunately. I have often times bypassed the original channels just to get the darn thing working again even if it means frankensteining the model a bit. Very frustrating.

This is why I am still crossing my fingers that FW will start developing servos and retracts that connect at their base so a replacement does NOT involve repiping wires but simply a quick connect/disconnect at the source, not unlike the wing harnesses these days. Now THAT would be absolutely a dream and one I hope is realized in the next few years if not sooner.
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Had a beautiful maiden this morning 2 amazing landings and no issues thanks to MRC and Freewing for this amazing model future videos will be coming
                                  my YouTube videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCth...V8B50teV2eLKBw

Comment

• Got the maiden plus one done today! Cross winds were kicking up before the 3rd flight, so I decided not to tempt fate and pack it in until tomorrow. Here are my stats:

Completely stock setup
                                    RoaringTop 6S 6250 35C lipo
                                    Graupner Mz-24 with a GR-16L RX
                                    CG just a hair forward of recommended in the book (sits just slightly nose down at the book CG)
                                    Throws by the book for low rates

Got to the field and range checked my Graupner, everything fine. Did a taxi test and reset nose steering to neutral. Take off was uneventful and she just lifted off nice and scale with no ballooning. Flew a normal pattern for the maiden to make sure everything worked properly, and didn't have to touch trim. She was hands off on the second pass. Love it when that happens!

Landing was a non-event except that she really likes to float! Landed with only takeoff flaps as we had a decent headwind. Full flaps may have helped with the sink rate, but I didn't want to tempt a tip stall on approach. Roll out was nice and smooth with no tendency to tip the wings. Tight turns will tip the plane though, so slow down before turning to taxi in. Got 3 minutes on the timer and landed with 25% or 3.76vpc. Just where I like it. And no issues at all with the MCB-E like I was having using the XPS radio system. I cycled the gear a bunch of times last night and nary a glitch.

No pics or vid, but here's some pics of my RX and lipo location, and the 3D printed hubcaps. Next up, paint the struts and wheel bays white!
                                    Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

This is probably an artifact inherited from Spektrum brand RXes. The earlier generations of original Spektrum also had ridiculously high low volt cutoff, including a terribly long reboot time of about 3 seconds. Never fly stuff like that on less than 5v rx power, and preferably use a capacitor as well.

Personally I would never dream of using a Spektrum radio system without satellites on any full range model, but that's another topic I guess.
                                      The AR636 works incredibly well at full range with no satellites.

Comment

• Good to hear Danny and Pat! It's easy to lump all the models into those of us who have had issues but the truth is, these are isolated cases, not the norm I believe.

When my next PNP arrives, I will be working on the assumption that everything will be fine unless proven otherwise. Build, test, pre-flight checks, fly!

As for the paint match, can anyone offer a really close paint match? I was going off of this image that I believe James posted earlier in the thread but I am assuming it was based on his pre-production model, not the mass produced which we all have. When I painted all my scuffs and damage from my crash, I noticed it wasn't a very good match at all. This is the one I was going off of...

Click image for larger version

Name:	colormatch.JPG
Views:	874
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	201973
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I got back from a flying afternoon with the Hornet and a couple.. other... models. Three Hornets up at the same time, and we're not gentle on any control surface. We had a similar momentary issue spike with the Avanti, as I recall. It too used two servos for two control surfaces, on an similarly loaded aircraft at similar speeds. We lost a couple planes to it, then tested every servo again and reopened 20% of our inventory at the factory at the time to fly. For better or worse, we couldn't replicate the issues, and the Avanti went on to be our highest seller that year. It's frustrating not being able to replicate a clear pattern or result. The flip side of that is we just need to address each of these individually as they arise, which is what the CS team is good at and what they're there for. As I mentioned before, please contact tech support, continue to share experiences/input/feedback/tips here on the forums (both positive and negative), and we'll all keep the community informed together.

Get with PowerHD for servos Alpha. They make very good small servos like we are using in these.

Comment

Working...
                                          X