Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elbee outstanding as usual, can't wait for the next installment of "RC Building hosted by Elbee". Next time, do a video with short clips for the entire build, it would have been much better to watch then anything on the tube lately! So are you also installing the 12 blade inrunner? That's what I'm very anxious to hear about.

I don't want to sound presumptive and I'm certainly not the one to recommend any painting technique, especially to the "Master", but I tried something for the first time when I re-painted my F-18 that, for me anyway, worked wonders. I hand painted 2 light coats of clear gloss water based Spar Urethane to all of the foam areas, including the grey underside (which some of that stayed grey). Then when I masked the different areas, using the Tamiya trim tape and the larger home depot trim tape for delicate surfaces, not a spec of base coat paint came off when removing the tape, which was the first time that's ever happened. In the past, even spraying a white primer on the entire plane first, pieces still used to come off even with the Tamiya tape. I'm going to give it a try again on the A-10 since some of the grey will also stay. Anyway, just a thought from a dangerous mind.
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
      Elbee outstanding as usual, can't wait for the next installment of "RC Building hosted by Elbee". Next time, do a video with short clips for the entire build, it would have been much better to watch then anything on the tube lately! So are you also installing the 12 blade inrunner? That's what I'm very anxious to hear about.

I don't want to sound presumptive and I'm certainly not the one to recommend any painting technique, especially to the "Master", but I tried something for the first time when I re-painted my F-18 that, for me anyway, worked wonders. I hand painted 2 light coats of clear gloss water based Spar Urethane to all of the foam areas, including the grey underside (which some of that stayed grey). Then when I masked the different areas, using the Tamiya trim tape and the larger home depot trim tape for delicate surfaces, not a spec of base coat paint came off when removing the tape, which was the first time that's ever happened. In the past, even spraying a white primer on the entire plane first, pieces still used to come off even with the Tamiya tape. I'm going to give it a try again on the A-10 since some of the grey will also stay. Anyway, just a thought from a dangerous mind.
      Hugh, Great minds think alike. More or less this is my 'modus operandi': 1) I sand the entire airframe to minimize the molding lines and 'stars'. 2) use filler to to cover flaws and all the dents I inflict on the model just handling it. 3) Then it's on to brushing 4 coats of Gloss Clear Polycrylic, a wet sand and spray primer. 4) From there I go to color. 5) Then it's a couple more coats of polycrylic so the markings have a smoother surface to stick to; and 6) finally matte clear spray to break up the gloss sheen. It is probably overkill, but it works for me. I hope that all the UV protection from the multiple layers will prevent any 'gatoring' and so far that has been the case, but in the long haul it is probably wishful thinking. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee lovely job!

Within the first 10 minutes of the Mig-29 announcement video, I lost all motivation for my finishing my F-18 ... that thing looks gorgeous ... I must focus, and not be seduced by the dark side of the force 😂

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
          Elbee lovely job!

Within the first 10 minutes of the Mig-29 announcement video, I lost all motivation for my finishing my F-18 ... that thing looks gorgeous ... I must focus, and not be seduced by the dark side of the force 😂
          43H, Yes focus, the 'Dark Side" is strong. "Once you start down the Dark path it will forever dominate your destiny.""Your eyes deceive you. Do not trust them." "Your focus determines your reality." "Do. Or do not. There is no try." Best, LB

ps:LOL...I am going to have to "Unsubscribe" to that MiG thread just to stay focused myself.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

....ps:LOL...I am going to have to "Unsubscribe" to that MiG thread just to stay focused myself.
            Elbee I know, but the voices from that forum keep whispering to me ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6619.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	267561

Name:	IMG_6618.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	267562
            Attached Files

Comment

• Elbee
              Elbee commented
              Editing a comment
              This is hysterical...well done and your timing is great. Best, LB

Elbee lovely job!

I don't think your alone on that, I think a lot of people are buying this one and will be putting their other unbuilt projects on hold or up for sale

Comment

• Hey All, Mentioned yesterday I would get the "Ace of Spades" painted on my VMF-41 Black Aces CAG Hornet. I traced the design, masked in sections and hand painted the sections which worked well, but takes a bit longer. At this pace, the next pix will be of the finished model, hopefully by month's end. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0334.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	267609
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee incredible work so far. I don't even want to know how you managed to paint the Ace on and got it so perfect! Some things are better left a mystery, otherwise those of us with lesser skills might try it and end up torching the result. I assume you painted the tail markings as well, no, don't tell me, on 2nd thought, my sanity would benefit more from not knowing and some of us need to keep Callie in business!
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman , no mysteries, just patience, 'old school' cut outs, and good paint brushes. Callie Graphics did the nomenclature, numerals, vertical 'swooshes and skull logos; otherwise the rest is paint or mask and paint. I certainly don't have the skill set or equipment to do the detail work she can do. Frankly, I thought about having the Ace of Spades done by Callie, but as you well know by experience, placement, compound curves and sticky don't always play well together when the graphics are large. Still do not believe I would have had the gumption to do the work you did on your Canadian Show Team Hornet. Outstanding looking livery. Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Four flights on the grey f18 I upgraded to the old 12 blade fan from the high speed f15 90 better vertical great flight time on 5000s and 6000s and it's fast landed no flaps 15 mph headwind no problem I I have to say this as well flew my f15 on eights it's only a tiny bit faster same vertical with the f4 eight cell system today's my lucky day I blew out a deans on a 4000 and deadsticked the f15 in for a perfect landing the motor battery went and I still was able to control and put the gear down in time ten feet of the runway

I should buy lotto

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnnyrabuse View Post
                      Four flights on the grey f18 I upgraded to the old 12 blade fan from the high speed f15 90 better vertical great flight time on 5000s and 6000s and it's fast landed no flaps 15 mph headwind no problem I I have to say this as well flew my f15 on eights it's only a tiny bit faster same vertical with the f4 eight cell system today's my lucky day I blew out a deans on a 4000 and deadsticked the f15 in for a perfect landing the motor battery went and I still was able to control and put the gear down in time ten feet of the runway

I should buy lotto
                      I never use Deans on anything, seen way to many failures, EC5 for me.....

Comment

• Total agreement I have a ton of 4 cell battery’s with deans on them that I used on smaller 1200 planes it’s the second fry out for me with the adapters that change them to ec5 this year after never having an issue for years now I’m stocking up on two cell 5000s with ec5s since my soldering skills ain’t worth an FMS propeller

Comment

Elbee I know, but the voices from that forum keep whispering to me ...

Name:	IMG_6619.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	267561

Name:	IMG_6618.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	267562
                          gotta get one

Comment

• Elbee man..incredible work..that cockpit is insane!!! If i get to do another f18 i really need to look into printing some of these sweeeet parts. Cant wait to see yours all finished!

As far as connectors go..i use 6mm bullets. They handle the super high amps of my larger setups..and to keep my packs usable in all my stuff..i just use 6mm on all of them to keep things simple. But i 2nd the notion not to use deans on the high output stuff

Comment

• Elbee When can we see your fully completed refinish? I'm very excited to see it all together!
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Alpha and et al,
                                I, too, am looking forward to seeing the Freewing F/a 18C Hornet all together. I'm hoping by the end of August unless life gets in the way some more.

I love this hobby, so it's not just about collecting the airplanes I like, it's also about spending the time making it my own. Sometimes that involves a great deal of "what if I could add this or that...or I get to thinking, you know what would be cool...." Though, it is encouraging watching the transformation with color and actually gluing parts on the airframe.

In my short time back into RC aircraft, I really have come to respect the engineering and craftsmanship that goes into the Flightline and Freewing models. Yours is talent and a skill set I envy and will continue to endeavor to duplicate. In the end I am a loyal customer and try to share what I have done with those that want to do the same to their creations. A little sappy, I know, but it is so true.

Best, LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

I don't think your alone on that, I think a lot of people are buying this one and will be putting their other unbuilt projects on hold or up for sale
                                  Dang it Motion RC and Freewing. $$$$$ argh. I pushed the button. We're doomed!! LOL

Comment

• Finished the Ace paint. Now it's about dressing up the inflow & outflow with a little painting just cuz I have a Goonie AB unit but will need to mod it for the Inrunner Motor. I will weather the nozzles a bit. Shot Createx Quicksilver over a gloss black base coat. I like the shine, but need to tone it down.

Name:	IMG_0336.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	267992Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0337.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	267993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0338.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	267994Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	267995
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• NICE Elbee ! Wow I can't wait to see her all complete with all your fantastic touches!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• that looks great!! I used alum tape in mine. Made a good difference in how it showed up! Shes really shaping up nice man!

Comment

• Elbee
                                          Elbee commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Thanks, CN. :) Best, LB
                                      Working...
                                      X