Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going over everything on my F-18 in preparation for the maiden flight tomorrow. How can you not like the lines of the F-18?
    Attached Files

Comment

• My favorite modern F jet bar none. So slick looking! Good luck on the maiden!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I am fairly new to EDFs, I have been flying E-flight F-16 70mm, Viper 70mm and FW F-35 70mm for few months. I would like to transition to 90mm EDF. I posted a question on F-16 90mm thread and was told it’s too much plane for my skill set due to wing loading, size and weight. I am now looking at FW F-18 90mm. I am wondering if F-18 would be a good 4th EDF given my skill set or lack of it. I would appreciate any feedback.

Comment

• Originally posted by N4Speed View Post
          I am fairly new to EDFs, I have been flying E-flight F-16 70mm, Viper 70mm and FW F-35 70mm for few months. I would like to transition to 90mm EDF. I posted a question on F-16 90mm thread and was told it’s too much plane for my skill set due to wing loading, size and weight. I am now looking at FW F-18 90mm. I am wondering if F-18 would be a good 4th EDF given my skill set or lack of it. I would appreciate any feedback.
          N4, In my humble opinion, 'your skill set' is subjective. Only you know what you're capable of doing. I have no experience with 70mm EDFs and how those differ in speed and handling. That written, nothing beats a failure but a try. Perhaps one of your fellow pilots would allow you a short stint on an 80 or 90mm EDF. You will know immediately if this is a direction you'd like to venture. Frankly, I would "Just Do It". Life's too short not to commit; you'll live with the consequences either way, so no regrets. That's my $00.02. Respectfully, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

N4, In my humble opinion, 'your skill set' is subjective. Only you know what you're capable of doing. I have no experience with 70mm EDFs and how those differ in speed and handling. That written, nothing beats a failure but a try. Perhaps one of your fellow pilots would allow you a short stint on an 80 or 90mm EDF. You will know immediately if this is a direction you'd like to venture. Frankly, I would "Just Do It". Life's too short not to commit; you'll live with the consequences either way, so no regrets. That's my $00.02. Respectfully, LB
            Thank you Sir!

Comment

• Hi Guys,
              F/A-18 maiden flights in the book. I put 5 good flights on it today. The last flight got interesting as the wind changed to a gusting crosswind as I was landing. The plane took a quick nose up and dropped a wing. I was able to level it out but set it down in the edge of the high grass on the edge of the runway. Knocked the gear doors loose and knocked off one of the wingtip rails. Already patched up and ready to fly again. I need to work on my landing technique on this one. Flight 2 I greased the landing.

I bought a Akaso sport camera and mounted it on a head band to shoot video. This was my first attempt at shooting video with the camera. I think I need to play around with the zoom on it for the next flights. I shot video from flights one and three and combined them into one video.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Elbee;n271781]

Frankly, I would "Just Do It". Life's too short not to commit; you'll live with the consequences either way, so no regrets.

Well said LB! BZ

Comment

• Hey y'all, I feel like the 'boy who cried wolf too often. LOL. Still moving forward, had to touch base with Callie Graphics, as I botched the "Stars-n-Bars" and had move those up some, leaving me short a couple.

Modded the 3DPUP STL files for the Wing Tip Missile Rails. I might light these so I had to redesign those some. These are now built in 3 parts; however I printed the rail halves now as 1 piece, if that makes sense. Drilled and tapped the wingtip mounting lugs 6-32 and secured using nylon CS screws. Thinking these would break before yanking the A/C into destruction.

Paint work is done, less touch up and some small trim stripes. Next is reassembling the landing gear with the new NG doors. Might mess with the shapes of the MG Doors, but still going for 1 piece per OEM. More when there's more. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hard work and dedication pays off Brother Elbee . Keep fighting the good fight, the end result is going to be amazing.
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Lost my F-18 yesterday on a takeoff accident. Just before rotation she got sideways on the rough grass field and rolled. Total loss except for the battery, radio gear, and the power system. We had a pretty good crosswind gust at the time.
                      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Ah bummer man, sorry to hear that.
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Some VS action with my son Derek

Comment

• center burner view is nice too!

Comment

• So, I ordered the F-18 and it should arrive tomorrow, very excited! I know James shared the blue color code in some of the earlier posts. Does anyone have color code for the yellow? I may paint bottom of the wings and tail yellow for better visibility/orientation.

Comment

• Better late than never! Pulled this video out of the archives. It’s the maiden that was done on my F-18 from the first shipment. Just never had the time to edit the video before now. 14 months isn’t too late, is it?

Comment

• Hey Sky Wolf better late than never! Great maiden flight and landing buddy! Always enjoy your videos!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by N4Speed View Post
                                    So, I ordered the F-18 and it should arrive tomorrow, very excited! I know James shared the blue color code in some of the earlier posts. Does anyone have color code for the yellow? I may paint bottom of the wings and tail yellow for better visibility/orientation.
                                    Mine's on the way also, but not until next week. I think you'll have fun with this one.

I went with base gray as eventually I'll try my hand at an aggressor squadron scheme based on the Flanker.

Comment

• elbee...looking good!!

Comment

• Morning Guys, has anyone had issue with Freewing 90mm F18 flaps?

I am 4 flights in now and on three of those flights whilst the flaps have deployed, upon collection the flaps have been in the fully up position. When i then move my flap switch to take off position, the flaps jump down.

The flaps then actuate without any problem on the ground and are strong.

On my fourth flight today the flaps deployed, but on approach the bird then started to roll on its own (i was no where near stall speed). I lifted the flaps and the roll disappeared. I am certain one of them had returned to zero position and the other stayed down.

Zero flap F18 landings are fast lol. Managed to grease her!

Any thoughts on this? I've seen RC informer has had issue and i will follow up with motion as well, but just wondered what experience other had had.

Cheers from the UK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Necroscope View Post
                                          Morning Guys, has anyone had issue with Freewing 90mm F18 flaps?

I am 4 flights in now and on three of those flights whilst the flaps have deployed, upon collection the flaps have been in the fully up position. When i then move my flap switch to take off position, the flaps jump down.

The flaps then actuate without any problem on the ground and are strong.

On my fourth flight today the flaps deployed, but on approach the bird then started to roll on its own (i was no where near stall speed). I lifted the flaps and the roll disappeared. I am certain one of them had returned to zero position and the other stayed down.

Zero flap F18 landings are fast lol. Managed to grease her!

Any thoughts on this? I've seen RC informer has had issue and i will follow up with motion as well, but just wondered what experience other had had.

Cheers from the UK.
                                          Yes, had the same problem on my gray one and the Blue Angel one, mine were from the first batch production, never did find the issue, yes and I swapped out the rx several times as well, and bypassed the bbox, I finally sold them both after a few flights, I hated the way they flew..

Comment

Working...
                                          X