Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a great aircraft. Now that it's completely finished, I need to get it in the air. Still only one flight to date.

Comment

• She is a handful, but because of that, so much more rewarding when you do get her down.

Comment

• Tail hook operation. Not a good day to fly so I did a photo op.

Comment

• Originally posted by Necroscope View Post
          She is a handful, but because of that, so much more rewarding when you do get her down.
          I found it to be very docile and not a hand full. Greased the landing. Just need to get good weather and put more flights on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post
            https://photos.app.goo.gl/toAYTwMfjKdEf63k7
            Tail hook operation. Not a good day to fly so I did a photo op.
            Oh so cool Tim, I LOVE IT!
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I like the locked in feel of Gyros & have one in all my Jets.. Gotta buy a Rx anyway for a new plane so why not buy one with a Gyro incorporated in it like the Lemon 6 Ch Stab.. Cheap Tech .. My F-18 has well over 100 flts on it & yesterday was a particularly Blustery Day with nasty crosswinds ..Plane was Rock solid in it... I’m glad I have a Gyro on it especially on Landing ..
              Tested out the Cyclone Power Centreburner during the Flts ..Nice & bright..Easy to install & Great value ..

Comment

• Gooniac's Firey Booty.

Comment

• After the first flight the right elevator servo was jittering after full deflection. Replaced the servo fixed the problem.

Comment

• So, here is some interesting data...

Today I made three more flights on the Hornet with some wind and on the last I forgot to turn on the gyro.

Quick recap, when I maidened and started flying this jet I had the gyro turned off, and progressively moved CG back over the course of about 50 flights... moved it as aft as I thought was 'reasonable' (About 112mm) before stability started to degrade considerably. The jet was not 'tail heavy' but directional stability was not great.
                    Then turned gyro on and resumed moving CG further aft, past the 'reasonable point' because the enhanced artificial stability provided by the gyro allowed it.
                    This further improved jet handling. Along the way I installed 'The Lightburner' allowing me to play with even more radical aft CGs that I couldn't experiment with prior to it. Haven't measured where my CG currently sits now, but will do.

Now the jet was at 73 flights and I flicked the wrong switch, so the gyro was off. I took off and immediately noticed the plane flew like crap but didn't realize it was me being dumb, not turning the gyro on by mistake. I flew like this for about half the flight, and it was a handful to keep aloft. Actually surprising I didn't crash it, all things considered. The plane was drifting LATERALLY (yaw) all over the place. Tried to increase gyro gain with a knob to compensate and it was as this didn't make any effect that I realized the gyro was off. Switched it on, she was back again flying fantastically.

THE POINT I want to stress, is that despite the jet flying like crap, IT DID NOT BEHAVE TAIL HEAVY. Longitudinal stability was perfectly fine, all the bad handling was lateral-directional in nature. Therefore, now, with this knowledge, I hereby void any claims by anyone flying this jet saying that their jet was tail heavy. It's just not quite possible the way it is designed. You will totally mess directional stability way before the jet shows any really worrying longitudinal sign of unstability. You will crash it due to lack of vertical stab authority way before you get to experience actual 'tail-heaviness' in the classic longitudinal way we pilots often think of when adjusting our models.

That's all, fun experience and pretty informative, thought it would be a good idea to let you know. :)

I will now proceed to program an apropriate warning on my transmitter if I raise throttle above 20% and the gyro is still off, lol.

Comment

• Guy’s ...don’t know what you doing tomorrow ,but , i have a HOT date with those two girls ... super happy ! Being couple of months without flying the f-18 , but i love it each time !!
                      Ps: i never ever ever had a gyro on any FW palne, yet in any plane . I’m sure does help but they are so solid . One of this day’s i’ll try one .
                      happy fly to all . Ciao
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Epic skies make videos better! :D

Comment

• Great video, I love flying in sunsets like that, just beautiful.

I have a brand new one I will be maidening this weekend. Have the CG set at 100mm for now. Once I get her dialed in and flying well I will begin work on the 3DP cockpit and get the office all detailed out. Godspeed #4!
                          My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Nice!
                            Good luck!
                            I was thinking about doing a 3DP cockpit myself!

Comment

• Thanks! Yeah I have yet to do one, I hope I do it justice! #4 is ready for her extensive preflight testing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	number4premaiden.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	522.3 KB
ID:	281761

Name:	number4premaiden1.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	281762
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                Great video, I love flying in sunsets like that, just beautiful.

I have a brand new one I will be maidening this weekend. Have the CG set at 100mm for now. Once I get her dialed in and flying well I will begin work on the 3DP cockpit and get the office all detailed out. Godspeed #4!

Aros and Airguardian , the 3D cockpit is outstanding. I also put a 1/10 scale JHH pilot in as well. It's certainly worth the effort, but the only concern was that the 3D cockpit and pilot added another 150 g (over 5 ounces) of weight to the nose. I now place my RT 6250 as far back as possible (even removed the circuit board for extra room) and the furthest back I can get my CG is 98mm, and that's already with another 1.5 ounces of lead in the elevator bays. It also has the RC Geek twin AB's in for a little more tail weight, but to even get close to the 112 mm Airguardian is flying, it would require more lead, something I'm not too keen on adding or a lighter weight battery-but love the 5-6 minute flight time. With all the extras and the paint and graphics, it came in at over 1.2 pounds heavier than the stock grey, but that extra weight seems to hardly be noticed. I've flown it as far forward as 92mm, and it flies great, but like it even more further back. Can't imagine what it would handle like at 112 mm, and I do have a gyro in it. Keep up the outstanding video's!!

Name:	20200427_180045.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	281764Click image for larger version

Name:	20200406_202531.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	281765
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thanks!

Whoa, that's fantastic!
                                  Where did you get that cockpit from, or did you make it yourself?

The 3DP files would come in super-handy! :D

Comment

• Hello Hornet Howners, got my VFA-41 Black Aces F-18C on her feet for the first time. I could not resist dry fitting everything just to have a look, and I like it. Now it's on to fill-in/touch up paint, placing the remaining nomenclature and markings, attaching final 3DP bits, clear coats and 'weathering'. Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Looks awesome LB

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                        Hello Hornet Howners, got my VFA-41 Black Aces F-18C on her feet for the first time. I could not resist dry fitting everything just to have a look, and I like it. Now it's on to fill-in/touch up paint, placing the remaining nomenclature and markings, attaching final 3DP bits, clear coats and 'weathering'. Best, LB
                                        Well done sir!!! Well done
                                        Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Elbee
                                          Elbee commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Much appreciated, E4.

• Badass Hornet Elbee!

Comment

Working...
                                        X