Name:	90mm In-runner with Afterburner 1-4-21.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	293395Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Tray 1-4-21.JPG
Views:	617
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	293396
    Next phase of my F-18 Blue Angel build. Installed the EDF 4068-1835kV in-runner / 12 Blade from my F-15 in the Blue.( This following up on Elbee's set up and with Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman suggestions) Also installed receiver and blue box under the battery tray. Completed after-burner install and painted inside the nozzles gloss white to make it shine better. (another idea from RC Informer) Waiting on carbon fiber sheet to cut and extend the battery tray for the front gear support upgrade (Thk: RC Informer for that up-grade) Being winter up here on the Cape, wont maiden her till the spring.
    But she will be ready to go then and we will see how all the up-grades perform. Cant wait...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cape Jets View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Std Elevator Link 1-5-21.JPG
Views:	932
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	293263
      Standard linkage for the elevators. Upgraded the servo to the Hitek.

Name:	Upgraded Elevator Link 1-5-21.JPG
Views:	937
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	293264
      New upgrades for the elevator servo's and linkage. Much better action and eliminates any biding issues with std linkage.
      Just wanted to throw out there the credit for the elevator linkage up-grade to "The RC Air Marshall"....and "RC Informer" for the Servo Up-grade.... Wish it was my idea, but I think The RC Air Marshall & RC Informer nailed it on the way to up-grade the elevators..... Thx guys for the great ideas👍

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
        Anyone flying this bird with the Admiral RX1000 with satellite? I am curious to see how you have the configuration in the battery compartment. Any photos would be greatly appreciated!
        Friendly little bump. You don't have to necessarily be using the RX1000...I am just curious how folks are positioning their rx's in relation to LiPo proximity. Thanks in advance!
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Main receiver under the rear of the battery tray with long antennae going forward and rearward. One satellite in the nose wheel well and one under the starboard vertical fin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2234.JPG Views:	0 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	293596

Comment

• Thanks young man! Is the rx under the tray for more battery clearance (CG)?
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I put everything I can under trays to clean up the battery areas. This is all planes that have the space, many do. I also typically have them as rear as possible, to aid in balance with larger batteries and to also use shorter extensions. I also bypass the BB or MCBe in most planes and substitute extensions directly to the receiver.

In this case moving the receiver there as well as the MCBe also allowed my 8S to be moved back for a better balance. I removed the wing ribbon cables and ran extensions. Using a 12ch receiver I have full span flaps, crow, tailerons and rudder air brakes. On planes that allow upward travel of flaps I add full span ailerons.

Comment

• Excellent! Sounds like you have a very nice setup.
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I like it. Along with a 3400W 8S set up it does well.

Current fav is my Gripen. Repainted, airbrakes, TVs and 2800W 8S set up.

Name:	DSC_1342 (2).jpg
Views:	488
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	293624Click image for larger version

Name:	ECE74451-5D5B-48E0-94DA-CAEE8DC49E03.jpeg
Views:	488
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	293625

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post

Friendly little bump. You don't have to necessarily be using the RX1000...I am just curious how folks are positioning their rx's in relation to LiPo proximity. Thanks in advance!
                    Not that it matters, but I now have my AR636 RX and the satellite in front of the battery. Originally had the RX behind the battery (with the main antennae going aft with all the electronic wires and BB), but could only get the CG as far back as 90mm (due to all the extra weight from mods and the 3D cockpit including 1 1/2 ounces of lead in the elevator servo bays). I then removed the BB and put it further aft and on the fuselage side wall to get my RT 6250 further back. This allowed me to relocated the RX in front of the battery and the satellite which has a 10 inch antennae is now in the very front of the nose on a different plane than the 2 90 degree antennae that the RX has. The active ends are about 5" apart from each other (wish I could have gotten an even greater distance) but all 3 antennae are well away from the Lipo, the carbon fiber tubes on the fuselage walls and all the electronics (except the controller for the afterburner). Not ideal, but that's what I'm stuck with. I could always run the satellite further aft of the battery, but then I'd be getting too close to the fan and any RF interference from the ESC.

Name:	20201026_213503.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	293628Click image for larger version

Name:	20210108_150438.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	293629
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thanks Hugh! Currently my rx is too close to my battery...I want to get mine forward like yours...I may need extensions. I want both the rx and sat well clear of the batt...
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                        Not that it matters...
                        Hugh, could I send you my Hornet so 'you can do that voodoo that you do' to get the wiring lookin' good? With all the additional stuff, I am honestly thinking of cutting back the turtledeck to the next bulkhead to clean up all the wiring leads. My kudos to anyone who gets the wiring looking good. Best, LB
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Evan D Nice shot of your Gripen in the air! You mentioned airbrakes? Did you install some air brakes? Also, I know this might be an annoying question to try to answer but would you say the FW F18 C is a top shelf do everything well flyer?

Comment

• I have a video over on RCG. Airbrakes are down canards with up elevons to compensate in flight.

I do. The first batch needed the stab blocks to be checked for glue but the stock 6s works really well and it flies great.

Comment

• I will check out the rcg posts on the airbrakes. I'm eager to see that.

I have a few irons in the fire but would like a 90mm size edf this summer and the F/A 18C has always been a pinnacle plane to me. The Mig 29 is too but I think it's a bit much for me to chew quite yet, in terms of setup, but I could be wrong. The F18 seems a little more straightforward modeling and programming wise. What you've done with your setup and functionality is something that I can work towards, while being happy flying it stock.

Comment

• When setup is to your liking and all the proper pre-flight tasks have been performed she's a jewel to fly and land. Terrific fun with a great presence. And with the inrunner it's just a blast.
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Hugh, could I send you my Hornet so 'you can do that voodoo that you do' to get the wiring lookin' good? With all the additional stuff, I am honestly thinking of cutting back the turtledeck to the next bulkhead to clean up all the wiring leads. My kudos to anyone who gets the wiring looking good. Best, LB
                                  Absolutely, I would love to have any of your superb aircraft in my possession, even for a few minutes. I'll be there tomorrow with a semi to pick everything up! But if you don't hear from me for a while, and find out I've changed my address and number, don't get too nervous. I'll resurface at some point, but your aircraft may not be returned in the same pristine condition as when I first get my grubby little fingers on them!
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Next phase of my F-18 Blue Angel build. Installed the EDF 4068-1835kV in-runner / 12 Blade from my F-15 in the Blue.( This following up on Elbee's set up and with Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman suggestions) Also installed receiver and blue box under the battery tray. Completed after-burner install and painted inside the nozzles gloss white to make it shine better. (another idea from RC Informer) Waiting on carbon fiber sheet to cut and extend the battery tray for the front gear support upgrade (Thk: RC Informer for that up-grade) Being winter up here on the Cape, wont maiden her till the spring.
                                    But she will be ready to go then and we will see how all the up-grades perform. Cant wait...

Name:	Front gear upgrade 1-7-21.JPG
Views:	520
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	293770Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Tray-Carbon Fiber upgrade 1-7-21.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	293771
                                    Last upgrade completed on the front gear support housing and battery tray. Once again Thanks to "RC Informer" for the idea and upgrade. Everything completed and
                                    now waiting for warmer weather to return to Cape Cod and she will be ready to go....

Comment

• Posted some pics on my elevator mounts reinforcements long time ago but think the links got corrupted so here they go again FWIW. :)

Comment

Excellent. I just now ordered the Blue Angels ARF+. Also planning on installing the EDF 4068-1835kV in-runner / 12 Blade from my recently crashed F-15. Also considering doing the elevator servo and linkage upgrade.

What brand/type clear coat do you all recommend to liven up the Blue Angels scheme?

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinhigh042 View Post

Excellent. I just now ordered the Blue Angels ARF+. Also planning on installing the EDF 4068-1835kV in-runner / 12 Blade from my recently crashed F-15. Also considering doing the elevator servo and linkage upgrade.

What brand/type clear coat do you all recommend to liven up the Blue Angels scheme?
                                          First off that 12 blade inrunner is an outstanding fan for this F-18, you'll love it. Regarding clear coats, I think most guys use the minwax product but I'm partial to Varathane Ultimate Spar Urethane, water based, exterior, spray or brush on. The exterior has UV blocking in it so don't get the interior version or it will eventually yellow. Comes in flat, matte, semi-gloss and gloss, although I'm partial to gloss. The primary benefit is the final look and bringing out the colors, however, an even bigger benefit is that it creates almost a hard shell over the foam/paint/graphics that protects the foam from the normal handling dings and dents and prevents any chipping of the paint. I also use it as a primer over factory paint before I do a re-paint (then cover it with white primer) because it keeps the factory paint on much better if you need to mask various areas. With the BA, all you'll need are the final coats.

I usually do 3-4 light coats of gloss applied an hour after each one, watching out for any drips on the edges before they harden (in about 30 minutes). Clean up is easy with water. Spray or brush on is up to you, with spray on you will need to be very patient in masking any area that you don't want this on, obviously with servos, control linkage and certain hinges as this will bind them shut. If brushing, use either a foam brush or better yet a more expensive oil/stain brush to keep bubbles/foaming from occurring. I have covered all my foam planes with this and wouldn't take one out until it is done. Of course you must not leave the aircraft sitting out in the 80-90 degree sun for long periods of time as this will cause the underlying foam to heat up and gator (like frying an ant with a magnifying glass), but normal exposure from flying is not a problem. You can get this product from Home Depot, or I just order it online from Home Depot and have them send it to me so I don't loose any precious build time, or better yet I have more nappy time!

Here's a few examples of what the gloss ends up like. Friends of mine use a matte which makes it look more scale and really nice, but I'm more into "flashy" in your face.

Name:	Screenshot_20200912-234718_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	293840Click image for larger version

Name:	20190327_114755.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	293841Click image for larger version

Name:	20200427_173737.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	293842Click image for larger version

Name:	20201127_231442.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	293843Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_164346.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	293844Click image for larger version

Name:	20200906_193847.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	293845
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X