• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, fantastic job! Looks amazing.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Has anyone tried the F22 8s motor, fan and esc in this bird with the admiral 5000 6s plus admiral 5000 2s lipos?

Comment

• Originally posted by Polyphren View Post
        Hi, the gloss looks very fine. You no longer expect a foam plane :)
        Here is mine. Today I started the first weathering effects.
        Looks awesome! I can see where time and patience is certainly needed!

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
          Has anyone tried the F22 8s motor, fan and esc in this bird with the admiral 5000 6s plus admiral 5000 2s lipos?
          CB, No, but I did install the MotionRC 90mm 12-blade EDF with the +4068-1835 Kv Inrunner. I have not yet flown her, but figure this is an easy upgrade which potentially should add more 'grunt' on the bottom end and perhaps a bit more top end. Easy peasy upgrade. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Polyphren View Post
            Hi, the gloss looks very fine. You no longer expect a foam plane :)
            Here is mine. Today I started the first weathering effects.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	A35A6564-23D0-46B8-BED7-B4ED9B374697.jpeg
Views:	542
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	292507
            That's so dope!
            Probably top 3 custom-livery favourite Hornets seen to date (personal opinion).
            I'm really missing the black cockpit though...

Comment

• First video of the year, there we go! :p

Comment

• Nice as always Airguardian ...Where did you say you have your CG at? I have a new one I want to really dial in.
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Thanks Aros! :)

I don't have it measured right now, but likely around 120mm... ?

CAUTION: I do NOT recommend to fly with such a CG unless you are using a properly set gyro, permanently turned on!

For unstabilized operation, I recommend 100-112mm

Start at 100 and work your way back, probably your best option.
                  Again, weirdly enough, this jet loses lateral stability before longitudinal stability. Meaning we can't really get to make it tail heavy in the 'conventional sense'.
                  The jet starts skidding and drifting sideways as you shift CG back long before it starts behaving 'tail heavy', so to speak.

I made a 'capture' of what my set up was when my CG was at 100mm before starting to mess with gyro-ON and further-aft CGs.
                  You can find the details here:

RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums, blogs, videos and classifieds.

Comment

• Thanks! Very informative! I am trying to recall where I had my CG on my first two. I *think* I was at the manual recommended? I may be conservative once again and side with more nose heavy at first until the first few flights and move it slightly aft until I find that sweet spot. Thanks again!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                      Thanks Aros! :)

I don't have it measured right now, but likely around 120mm... ?

CAUTION: I do NOT recommend to fly with such a CG unless you are using a properly set gyro, permanently turned on!

For unstabilized operation, I recommend 100-112mm

WOW Airguardian you definitely are one "Steely Eyed Missile Man" at 120 mm. I absolutely believe you are flying it there and your flight videos are awesome, but I doubt I could even get it to balance that far back and who knows if I could fly it, even though I do have a gyro in it. The book is 88 mm and I maidened mine at 92 mm and I "think" I like how it flew (am working it back to maybe 96mm next time). My problem getting it any further back is all the extra weight I have, especially the 3D cockpit which added about 150 g of weight in the nose. I'm flying on a RT 6250 at 790 g and I even removed the circuit board and have the battery as far back in as it will go (which will get me at 98 mm). Even then, I have an extra 1 1/2 ounces of lead in the elevator servo bays to even get there. I do have the twin LED afterburners in, but to get anywhere over 100 mm I think I'd have to glue some of my diving weights on the tail. I guess all the extra modifications with the cockpit and paint/graphics from the Canadian Demo scheme along with the 4 coats of urethane really affected the balance point. May end up getting a stock one with no extras to fly the out of it because I only end up taking the Canadian F-18 out on "special" occasions.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hi fellows! I have a question in regards to the rear retracts on my F-18. When I cycle the gear on the ground it works well but when I do it after take off the left retract just won't go up all the way up into the compartment. It's weird. I have tried to cycle the gear while in the air but it just won't come up completely. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

• Many have had the issue. They catch on the wheel well edge. I added a bit of toe out and beveled the well edge...

Comment

• Originally posted by uscanuck1xa View Post
                            Thanks guys for the compliments and to James for the shoutout on Motion RC's Friday show. I was surprised when the pilot of that actual demo jet got in touch with me to let me know he thought it looked amazing after he saw some photos I posted and he wants to see the video when it gets in the air! A little extra "shaky thumbs" syndrome when you know the pilot who performed all the fantastic moves with the real thing will be watching! I'll definitely have to put gooniac33 's afterburner in it!
                            That is awesome!! Congrats on the recognition!! We will get that firey booty going for you!!
                            Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Unbelievably gorgeous work Polyphren! Would love to see more pictures at other angles when you get her out to the field in the sun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                WOW Airguardian you definitely are one "Steely Eyed Missile Man" at 120 mm. I absolutely believe you are flying it there and your flight videos are awesome, but I doubt I could even get it to balance that far back and who knows if I could fly it, even though I do have a gyro in it.
                                With a gyro on, it flies better like this than nose-heavier and not-stabilized. Just my opinion though! :)
                                To shift CG back, I installed an LED afterburner (The Lightburner) and cleared the battery tray, hiding BB underneath it so I could shift the batts as far back as they will go ;)

Oh, and I also got rid of the pilot :)

Comment

• Anyone flying this bird with the Admiral RX1000 with satellite? I am curious to see how you have the configuration in the battery compartment. Any photos would be greatly appreciated!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                    Many have had the issue. They catch on the wheel well edge. I added a bit of toe out and beveled the well edge...
                                    thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
                                      Has anyone tried the F22 8s motor, fan and esc in this bird with the admiral 5000 6s plus admiral 5000 2s lipos?
                                      I have that exact setup. It is crazy fast. Only issue I had was i couldnt get the cg further back without adding weight. Otherwise its a solid setup. The only thing you will need to do is make some room for the bigger esc.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Std Elevator Link 1-5-21.JPG
Views:	929
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	293263
                                        Standard linkage for the elevators. Upgraded the servo to the Hitek.
                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Upgraded Elevator Link 1-5-21.JPG
Views:	934
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	293264
                                        New upgrades for the elevator servo's and linkage. Much better action and eliminates any biding issues with std linkage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cape Jets View Post
                                          New upgrades for the elevator servo's and linkage. Much better action and eliminates any biding issues with std linkage.
                                          CJ, Nicely done and you'll sleep better for having done it. Best, LB
                                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X