Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone running a Hobby Eagle A3 Pro gyro on their F-18? I am looking for recommendations for a starting point on the gains. I have the pots set at approximately the 11:00 position.
    Thanks!!
    Anthony

Comment

• I have 5 flights on my F-18. On the maiden the plane wanted to roll left. I adjusted that out with aileron trim (8 clicks) I found I had a slight difference in the stabilator incidence between the left and right. I have adjusted that out.
      I flew the initial flights with the CG set at 90mm, I have adjusted that back to 105mm. I also added a gyro and I will try to get some flights in on Tuesday morning. I will let you guys know how the plane reacts with the new CG setting.

Comment

• 105 should be fine! ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
          I have 5 flights on my F-18. On the maiden the plane wanted to roll left. I adjusted that out with aileron trim (8 clicks) I found I had a slight difference in the stabilator incidence between the left and right. I have adjusted that out.
          I flew the initial flights with the CG set at 90mm, I have adjusted that back to 105mm. I also added a gyro and I will try to get some flights in on Tuesday morning. I will let you guys know how the plane reacts with the new CG setting.
          The stabilators were the first thing I checked and only had 2 clicks of right trim. Didn't have to trim anything else. Flew awesome. Now to install the tail hook operation. Sub micro servo for that. Rain day today.

Comment

• In mine I had a lot of roll imbalance on maiden.

I trimmed it out with tailerons initially but had to adjust flap and aileron offsets later on to reduce taileron's roll trim which was ridiculous.

A very small change in the flap neutral position can go a long way with this jet! ;)

Comment

• Adding tail hook operation with submicro servo. This is my plan on doing it. Recess the servo where I have it, add a small horn to the hook an inch and a half from the pivot point. Had the servo from another project that I'm not going to put together. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201004_201350821_HDR.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	278823

Comment

• Temporary operation then put everything into place.

Comment

• [QUOTE=ColtPilot;n278839]Temporary operation then put everything into place.

CP, Well done, Sir. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• That's the video from the session where I destroyed my EDF rotor with FOD.
                    (It is already replaced, of course)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dustman View Post
                      I'm back again starting some major surgery on my F-18. The process here is slow and tedious because the closet hobby shop is 3 hrs away in Dallas. Everything I do is mail order. LB I like your nose gear. Where did you get that from. Anyway, here are a few pic's. All the mods I want to do after the nose gear area are the speed brake,slim lights, tail hook and a couple other likes on the tail. I know I have my work cut out for me. But the F-18 has always been one of my favorites. The 192 Golden Dragons Logo like Mizer67 I have. The person that made it for me is no longer in business. I ordered one but she sent me two. Since Mizer67 got here with his first I'm going go with another Golden Dragon from 2000 like the one you see here. I'm going to have Callie do them for me.
                      I love what you're doing with the front gear doors. That's going to be a very nice scale touch!

Comment

• Gents and Gentle Women, A bit more, though I forgot to get a pic of the 12-Blade Inrunner setup with Goon's AB unit, but the Backside is buttoned up. Using a bit of non-structural filler to hide the hanger rash and cover seam, but I love the new profile of tailhook fairing and housing. The LSO indicator box light works, but hard to see with landing light on. Reworked the Missile Rail design with a bit more detail. I did not design the original OEM style rails but would like to thank whoever did, so "Thank You." Next is buttoning up the NG, reinstall the mains and doors. She'll be on her feet this week, I hope. More when there's more. Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                          Gents and Gentle Women, A bit more, though I forgot to get a pic of the 12-Blade Inrunner setup with Goon's AB unit, but the Backside is buttoned up. Using a bit of non-structural filler to hide the hanger rash and cover seam, but I love the new profile of tailhook fairing and housing. The LSO indicator box light works, but hard to see with landing light on. Reworked the Missile Rail design with a bit more detail. I did not design the original OEM style rails but would like to thank whoever did, so "Thank You." Next is buttoning up the NG, reinstall the mains and doors. She'll be on her feet this week, I hope. More when there's more. Best, LB
                          Incredible!!
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Awesome work on those nose gear doors and compartment Elbee, well done!

Comment

• Tail hook operation completed. Now for the down and dirty pass.

Comment

• I bought my FW F-18 over a month ago and planning to do maiden flight this weekend. I have seen many posts regarding problem with elevator servos. Are those issues resolved with the newer batches? Do I need to do the modifications that RC Informer and others have done on the elevator servo bays?

I use nose gear brace on my SU-35 and F-35 and they work great. Does anyone know if there is a brace for F-18? Or an STL file to print one?

Comment

• Originally posted by N4Speed View Post
                                  I bought my FW F-18 over a month ago and planning to do maiden flight this weekend. I have seen many posts regarding problem with elevator servos. Are those issues resolved with the newer batches? Do I need to do the modifications that RC Informer and others have done on the elevator servo bays?

I use nose gear brace on my SU-35 and F-35 and they work great. Does anyone know if there is a brace for F-18? Or an STL file to print one?
                                  I'd recommend doing the Motion TSB, inspecting the elevator servos and attachments and affixing some type of reinforcement to the attachment locations, yes.

There's no real room for a brace for the nose gear, nor is it really needed from what I've experienced. If anything, I'd lengthen the tray like RC Informer did to give it more attachment area.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post

I'd recommend doing the Motion TSB, inspecting the elevator servos and attachments and affixing some type of reinforcement to the attachment locations, yes.

There's no real room for a brace for the nose gear, nor is it really needed from what I've experienced. If anything, I'd lengthen the tray like RC Informer did to give it more attachment area.
                                    Mine came solid as a rock. Had to change out the right elevator servo as it wasn't working properly. New servo installed with second flight coming up.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post
                                      Tail hook operation completed. Now for the down and dirty pass.
                                      CP, Again, great work, Sir and congrats on your first check flight. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Answered on other forum N4speed...

Comment

• I put 2 flights on my F-18 this morning with the CG set at 105mm. Wow it made a huge difference in the way it fly’s. At first I thought I was in trouble as it was very pitch sensitive compared to how it flew at 90mm CG. After making a couple circuits of the field and getting used to it it flew great. Pull full up elevator and made a 90 deg up turn and went straight up.
                                          It really helped the landings as it cut the speed in half and settled in on the mains with a high alpha approach.
                                          I only put 2 flights on as I wanted to maiden my F-4 the. The weather turned south.

Comment

Working...
                                          X