Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm making some progress using the STLs that Elbee worked so hard to produce for the cockpit of the F-18C. The parts went together well so far, and I am totally impressed with the minute details that Elbee came up with for various parts of the cockpit. I had a friend print them up for me since I don't have a printer yet.

I have a stock cockpit that I'll fly for the initial maiden and subsequent flights until I feel comfortable flying it, and then use the detailed cockpit for local fly in's and that sort of thing. I have ordered a pilot from Jet Hangar Hobbies that Hugh Weidman recommended and uses for his F-18 airplanes.

Davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0978.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	339674Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0975.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	339675Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0979.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	339676

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
      I'm making some progress using the STLs that Elbee worked so hard to produce for the cockpit of the F-18C. The parts went together well so far, and I am totally impressed with the minute details that Elbee came up with for various parts of the cockpit. I had a friend print them up for me since I don't have a printer yet. I have a stock cockpit that I'll fly for the initial maiden and subsequent flights until I feel comfortable flying it, and then use the detailed cockpit for local fly in's and that sort of thing. I have ordered a pilot from Jet Hangar Hobbies that Hugh Weidman recommended and uses for his F-18 airplanes. Davegee
      DG, beautiful work, Sir. Great idea using the detailed cockpit as a static display. Will definitely save you 4-5 ounces of FWD weight. And bless your pea-pickin' heart for the compliment. Best, Steve

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I'm making some progress using the STLs that Elbee worked so hard to produce for the cockpit of the F-18C. The parts went together well so far, and I am totally impressed with the minute details that Elbee came up with for various parts of the cockpit. I had a friend print them up for me since I don't have a printer yet.

I have a stock cockpit that I'll fly for the initial maiden and subsequent flights until I feel comfortable flying it, and then use the detailed cockpit for local fly in's and that sort of thing. I have ordered a pilot from Jet Hangar Hobbies that Hugh Weidman recommended and uses for his F-18 airplanes.

Davegee

Name:	IMG-0978.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	339674Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0975.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	339675Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0979.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	339676
        Outstanding Dave. One word of caution on the 1/10 scale JHH Pilot. In order to get his head to fit in under the canopy, I had to shave his rather large behind and cut him off at the knees, just where his legs would fit into the front instrument panel holes at the base. It also required me to lose the actual bottom of the ejection seat and shave off a bit of the back of the seat so it would fit. No matter, with his big arse in there you wouldn't be able to see much of the back of the seat and the bottom anyway. Just the size of our pilot would scare the hell out of any bogie once they get a look at him!

Name:	20200331_220910.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	339685Click image for larger version

Name:	20200406_203246.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	339686
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thanks, Hugh. I'll be waiting for him in the mail with my sander and exacto saw!!😁

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

DG, beautiful work, Sir. Great idea using the detailed cockpit as a static display. Will definitely save you 4-5 ounces of FWD weight. And bless your pea-pickin' heart for the compliment. Best, Steve
            All kudos, to You, Steve!. A beautiful job designing all those parts to make this beautiful and realistic cockpit!

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Thanks, Hugh. I'll be waiting for him in the mail with my sander and exacto saw!!😁
              Just be careful not to cut off any of his private parts, he'll need 'em to fly this bad boy!
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• incredible degree of detail. stay away from the trees... don't be like me.

Comment

• Hugh, just looking at your hanger... i'll see you and raise you about 8...
                  holy fk - PJ50 came in today and it's going to sit in the box with the FW 80mm A10 and Mig 29 until i can figure out to sneak them home and into the hangar...🤣

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Just be careful not to cut off any of his private parts, he'll need 'em to fly this bad boy!
                    I'll be respectful of his "naughty bits."

When I was rooting around my shop this afternoon, I found a Motion RC pilot that is a 3/4 body, and probably slightly smaller than what I think the one from Jet Hangar Hobbies "fat ass" pilot is. I've painted some insignia on him to signify the plane he's flying, VFA-146 Blue Diamonds. If I find that the jet hangar pilot is going to be too much to cut down to look good, I think I'll just use this pilot, which is probably a little more in scale to this cockpit. I can always use the jet hangar pilot for a future project, someday.

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post
                      incredible degree of detail. stay away from the trees... don't be like me.
                      Thanks. Shouldn't be too hard staying out of the trees here in northwest Wyoming. Pretty much desert where our field is, tallest obstacle is sagebrush!

Davegee

Comment

I'll be respectful of his "naughty bits."

When I was rooting around my shop this afternoon, I found a Motion RC pilot that is a 3/4 body, and probably slightly smaller than what I think the one from Jet Hangar Hobbies "fat ass" pilot is. I've painted some insignia on him to signify the plane he's flying, VFA-146 Blue Diamonds. If I find that the jet hangar pilot is going to be too much to cut down to look good, I think I'll just use this pilot, which is probably a little more in scale to this cockpit. I can always use the jet hangar pilot for a future project, someday.

davegee
                        Dave, I think I probably used that same Motion RC pilot in my Tiger F-18 and cut his lower half off at the waist. It was slightly larger than the stock pilot. Didn't do the outstanding Elbee cockpit in that one to keep the nose weight down since I had a hell of a time getting the CG back around 100mm or more in the first Canadian one. As I said before, that full cockpit mod and pilot must have added about an extra 250 gr and ended up having to put lead in the elevator servo bays to get it back from the nose heavy 88mm they recommend. You'll notice the full 3D cockpit extends down into the battery bay and you'll have to put the battery further back just to fit it in, but then you'll want to anyway to get the CG correct.

Name:	20210701_181243.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	339727
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Dave, I think I probably used that same Motion RC pilot in my Tiger F-18 and cut his lower half off at the waist. It was slightly larger than the stock pilot. Didn't do the outstanding Elbee cockpit in that one to keep the nose weight down since I had a hell of a time getting the CG back around 100mm or more in the first Canadian one. As I said before, that full cockpit mod and pilot must have added about an extra 250 gr and ended up having to put lead in the elevator servo bays to get it back from the nose heavy 88mm they recommend. You'll notice the full 3D cockpit extends down into the battery bay and you'll have to put the battery further back just to fit it in, but then you'll want to anyway to get the CG correct.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210701_181243.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.0 KB ID:	339727
                          Hi Hugh: that is an incredible paint job on your Hornet, I say again: "well done!!"

Regarding the pilot I just found in my work room, I think it might possibly have come from an old airplane, maybe the Freewing F-15. This one is about a 3/4 body, and fits well into the Hornet cockpit. I think it is probably a different one from what you used in your picture, based on the hands position of the pilot, though. I painted him up yesterday and the helmet reflects the markings I found online of a VFA-146 "Blue Diamonds" helmet. Notice I didn't say "Gray Diamonds" but that's a whole different subject!

I'll attach some pics I just took of the finished pilot in the cockpit. One of them is a rear view of an actual VFA-146 helmet I found online. I'll probably use him at least initially, before deciding if I want to use the Jet Hangar pilot figure. I'd prefer not to have to cut and whittle that one down to fit, maybe use it on a new, different project someday.

I acknowledge your comments on the weight of the scale cockpit and pilot, and how you have to put counterweights in the tail to compensate for the CG. Having to move the battery back just to fit the cockpit in will be a help to move the CG back some, but I can see putting some weights in the tail as you indicated. How much weight did you have to put in the tail to get it to the 100mm point CG?

I'm going to use the stock cockpit for at least the first several flights until I get it "dialed in."

Dave

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0985.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	339757Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0983.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.8 KB ID:	339758Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0986.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.5 KB ID:	339759Click image for larger version  Name:	download.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.2 KB ID:	339760

Comment

Regarding the pilot I just found in my work room, I think it might possibly have come from an old airplane, maybe the Freewing F-15. This one is about a 3/4 body, and fits well into the Hornet cockpit. I think it is probably a different one from what you used in your picture, based on the hands position of the pilot, though. I painted him up yesterday and the helmet reflects the markings I found online of a VFA-146 "Blue Diamonds" helmet. Notice I didn't say "Gray Diamonds" but that's a whole different subject!

I acknowledge your comments on the weight of the scale cockpit and pilot, and how you have to put counterweights in the tail to compensate for the CG. Having to move the battery back just to fit the cockpit in will be a help to move the CG back some, but I can see putting some weights in the tail as you indicated. How much weight did you have to put in the tail to get it to the 100mm point CG?

I'm going to use the stock cockpit for at least the first several flights until I get it "dialed in."

Dave
                            Now that I see your pilot, yes it is a different one than what I used. Better than the shoulder/head pilot it comes with. I've got several of the same pilot you used in my "pilot inventory" and it is a FW pilot but can't remember what aircraft they came in. The one I used in the Tiger Hornet has moveable arms, but those stupid gloves are annoying.

Regarding the CG, on the Hornet with the 3D cockpit I think I put 3/4 ounce in each elevator bay. That, along with a little weight for the afterburner allowed me to achieve a maximum rearward CG of 105mm with a 6200 weighing 814 gr. I also put all electronics, RX and wires under the battery tray so I could move the battery as far back as possible. The RX is under the front part of the tray (away from the battery and cables) with the antennae going up to the nose and a remote satellite is all the way in the back of the tray with antennae going around the fuselage. In the Tiger Hornet, I set it up the same with electronics and RX, but am able to get to 112mm (not that I want to) with no lead in the elevator bay. Currently flying both at 102mm.

Your cockpit is outstanding and the scheme on his helmet is so realistic. Can't wait to see the finished product!
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Now that I see your pilot, yes it is a different one than what I used. Better than the shoulder/head pilot it comes with. I've got several of the same pilot you used in my "pilot inventory" and it is a FW pilot but can't remember what aircraft they came in. The one I used in the Tiger Hornet has moveable arms, but those stupid gloves are annoying.

Regarding the CG, on the Hornet with the 3D cockpit I think I put 3/4 ounce in each elevator bay. That, along with a little weight for the afterburner allowed me to achieve a maximum rearward CG of 105mm with a 6200 weighing 814 gr. I also put all electronics, RX and wires under the battery tray so I could move the battery as far back as possible. The RX is under the front part of the tray (away from the battery and cables) with the antennae going up to the nose and a remote satellite is all the way in the back of the tray with antennae going around the fuselage. In the Tiger Hornet, I set it up the same with electronics and RX, but am able to get to 112mm (not that I want to) with no lead in the elevator bay. Currently flying both at 102mm.

Your cockpit is outstanding and the scheme on his helmet is so realistic. Can't wait to see the finished product!
                              Thanks for the info, Hugh. On my stock airplane with the stock cockpit (for now) I am getting about 97mm or so on the CG using a 5000 mAh Admiral or Spektrum smart battery. I am hoping to do the maiden in a few weeks. Since I have lost a couple of these planes in the past I am going to have one of our jet experts in our club to to the maiden for me while I observe and help out if he needs me to by adjusting trim or whatever. Still windy and chilly up here, but Spring is definitely approaching!

Comment

Thanks for the info, Hugh. On my stock airplane with the stock cockpit (for now) I am getting about 97mm or so on the CG using a 5000 mAh Admiral or Spektrum smart battery. I am hoping to do the maiden in a few weeks. Since I have lost a couple of these planes in the past I am going to have one of our jet experts in our club to to the maiden for me while I observe and help out if he needs me to by adjusting trim or whatever. Still windy and chilly up here, but Spring is definitely approaching!
                                Sounds good, I'm sure the maiden will go well and the balance point of 97mm should be a good place to start. I also think I have a little more tail weight since both of mine have the 12 blade 1835Kv inrunner which is a bit heavier than the 9 blade inrunner, allowing me to use a 6200 mAh battery. You won't get as much thrust from the Admiral or Spektrum battery as you would from the SMC's I'm using (true C close to 40) as their true C is more like 18 to 22 C despite what it's marked at, but should still be enough.

The only thing to potentially watch for is one of the flaps not deploying in flight. It seems to be quite rare, but both of mine had that issue, lucky me. Flaps work fine on the ground (even if you hold them to see of the servo quits), but for some reason, occasionally one will get stuck in the up position in flight (and for me it's not always the same one). They go from take-off flaps to flaps up when taking off fine, but then when setting up to land, sometimes one does not deflect at all. I've tried a bunch of things to cure it, including bypassing the blue box /circuit board for both ailerons and flaps going directly into the receiver. Worked better for a while, then occasionally didn't. I've replaced flap servos and reduced the delay to 0, still hasn't completely cured it (although it hasn't happened for a while on either). With the delay at 0 and on one occasion, went from flaps up directly to landing flaps and it immediately got incredibly difficult to control and damn near totaled it (saved by 12 foot high cane giving it a soft set down). I'm currently using a 1.5 second delay and always come by first with 1/2 flaps to visually confirm both are working before going to full flaps. Have this same issue on both B-24's and my Avanti and going to a 0-1 second delay has cured it for good on those, but still a little concerned on both Hornets, so just let him know of the potential issue and being ready to raise flaps quickly if it happens. With that said, I'm sure the probability of yours having this problem is extremely low.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Sounds good, I'm sure the maiden will go well and the balance point of 97mm should be a good place to start. I also think I have a little more tail weight since both of mine have the 12 blade 1835Kv inrunner which is a bit heavier than the 9 blade inrunner, allowing me to use a 6200 mAh battery. You won't get as much thrust from the Admiral or Spektrum battery as you would from the SMC's I'm using (true C close to 40) as their true C is more like 18 to 22 C despite what it's marked at, but should still be enough.

The only thing to potentially watch for is one of the flaps not deploying in flight. It seems to be quite rare, but both of mine had that issue, lucky me. Flaps work fine on the ground (even if you hold them to see of the servo quits), but for some reason, occasionally one will get stuck in the up position in flight (and for me it's not always the same one). They go from take-off flaps to flaps up when taking off fine, but then when setting up to land, sometimes one does not deflect at all. I've tried a bunch of things to cure it, including bypassing the blue box /circuit board for both ailerons and flaps going directly into the receiver. Worked better for a while, then occasionally didn't. I've replaced flap servos and reduced the delay to 0, still hasn't completely cured it (although it hasn't happened for a while on either). With the delay at 0 and on one occasion, went from flaps up directly to landing flaps and it immediately got incredibly difficult to control and damn near totaled it (saved by 12 foot high cane giving it a soft set down). I'm currently using a 1.5 second delay and always come by first with 1/2 flaps to visually confirm both are working before going to full flaps. Have this same issue on both B-24's and my Avanti and going to a 0-1 second delay has cured it for good on those, but still a little concerned on both Hornets, so just let him know of the potential issue and being ready to raise flaps quickly if it happens. With that said, I'm sure the probability of yours having this problem is extremely low.
                                  Thanks for those valuable tips, Hugh. Yes, the possibility of an asymmetrical flap problem is a concern for me, especially on a pretty hot performer like the Hornet. I'll be sure to brief whoever does the maiden for me when we get to that point. I've had a number of weird asymmetrical flap issues on various airplanes, mostly props, but fortunately not too much in the jets that I have flown. But I'm always on the lookout for them coming up. I had a weird one years ago on the maiden of my Flightline Spitfire (the big one) when either flap would come down, uncommanded and then go back up again, on its own. We were lucky to get it down safely. I reported it to MRC, and they told me there were a handful of people complaining about the same thing. They gave me two new flap servos, and that was over 5 years ago. Haven't had it recur...yet!

Dave

Comment

• Excellent work davegee!
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

...painted him up yesterday and the helmet reflects the markings I found online of a VFA-146 "Blue Diamonds" helmet. Notice I didn't say "Gray Diamonds" but that's a whole different subject! I'll attach some pics I just took of the finished pilot in the cockpit.
                                      Nice Work Dave Gee!! Bravo Zulu. Acknowledged and Agreed with the "whole different subject." Cannot for the life of me get my head around that decision. Anywho, ya dun gud, Sir. Best, Steve
                                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!

Name:	0292-X3.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	340033

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Nice Work Dave Gee!! Bravo Zulu. Acknowledged and Agreed with the "whole different subject." Cannot for the life of me get my head around that decision. Anywho, ya dun gud, Sir. Best, Steve
                                          Thanks, Steve. Again, Excellent design work on your part for the cockpit of the F-18, and of course the Corsair, too.

Me, either. With that thinking, we should embrace the name "Brown Angels" demonstration team, or something like that!

Comment

Working...
                                          X