X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

You’re welcome . I’m glad it was something quick and simple to fix. With the factories and assembly done by people, there is always a chance of something like that occurring. On each aircraft I get with quick connect plugs, I unscrew the board and check all the connections to confirm they are correct and that all Servo leads are seated properly. It always makes me feel better and I feel it’s part of my duty as a pilot to make sure it’s ready for flight, among the other typical things all of us pilots inspect before flying. It’s worth the little time it takes .
    Excellent points! I was working on it all day yesterday, trying to get the correct servo geometry for a working tail hook, but haven't gotten it all set up yet. And of course, late last night when I put the wings on and applied the power to her, I got something I had never seen before. I probably would have gotten around to checking those connectors, but you certainly made the lightbulb come on in my head! Appreciate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
      Thanks. When you mentioned a crack I wondered. What you found is what I would have expected too.
      Thanks, Evan. Sorry for any confusion on my part. All is well now, with the exception of getting a reading on correct elevator setting on the ground for takeoff and if a flap/elevator mix is warranted for this airplane. Do you have one of these, any suggestions?

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Excellent points! I was working on it all day yesterday, trying to get the correct servo geometry for a working tail hook, but haven't gotten it all set up yet. And of course, late last night when I put the wings on and applied the power to her, I got something I had never seen before. I probably would have gotten around to checking those connectors, but you certainly made the lightbulb come on in my head! Appreciate it.
        No problem! That’s always the great part about threads and forums. We can all help each other out and many times get a quick response to questions, learn things from one another, spark ideas, etc.

Comment

Thanks, Evan. Sorry for any confusion on my part. All is well now, with the exception of getting a reading on correct elevator setting on the ground for takeoff and if a flap/elevator mix is warranted for this airplane. Do you have one of these, any suggestions?

Cheers

davegee
          Dave, I originally set my neutral elevator about 8mm below the line shown in the picture below. This obviously depends on what your balanced at. This was balanced at 104mm, so the further nose heavy you fly towards the 88mm balance point recommended, the more up elevator you will need. For take-off flaps, the elevator is around 11mm and landing flaps around 14mm (using suggested flap deflections), so there is some up elevator required with flaps. Picture #2 is with take-off flaps and #3 with landing flaps. This is also a matter of preference on how you prefer your level attitude to be when flying with flaps and at what speed. Hope this is at least a decent starting point, but suggest that you set up Flight modes if you don't already use them so you can trim the elevator in flight for each flap setting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_213838.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	333114Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_213851.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	333115Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_213930.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	333116
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh has good info and without pulling mine and powering it I have to say I'm very close to what he shows. I have 7 and 12% in my radio for half and full flaps.

As I typically do I put each surface on it's own channel, 11 on a 12ch receiver, to have full full span flaps, tailerons, crow and rudder airbrakes... And I'm 8S with a JF/ HET set up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              Hugh has good info and without pulling mine and powering it I have to say I'm very close to what he shows. I have 7 and 12% in my radio for half and full flaps.

As I typically do I put each surface on it's own channel, 11 on a 12ch receiver, to have full full span flaps, tailerons, crow and rudder airbrakes... And I'm 8S with a JF/ HET set up.
              Thanks, Evan. I had one years ago that crashed, but the settings are still in my radio, but not being used for the time being. It had fullspan flaps, rudders that canted inwards for takeoffs, but I don't think we got tailerons going, although we might have. A buddy of mine set mine up. He has a 1/6 scale turbine F/A-18F with all the bells and whistles, a beautiful plane and he flies the hell out of it.

Sounds like you have a nice set up on yours. Appreciate your comments regarding Hugh's plane and I'll set mine up accordingly. I just want to be in the ballpark when I take off on my maiden in a couple of weeks, just don't want any sudden, unexpected maneuvers that I have no control over!

Merry Christmas!

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Dave, I originally set my neutral elevator about 8mm below the line shown in the picture below. This obviously depends on what your balanced at. This was balanced at 104mm, so the further nose heavy you fly towards the 88mm balance point recommended, the more up elevator you will need. For take-off flaps, the elevator is around 11mm and landing flaps around 14mm (using suggested flap deflections), so there is some up elevator required with flaps. Picture #2 is with take-off flaps and #3 with landing flaps. This is also a matter of preference on how you prefer your level attitude to be when flying with flaps and at what speed. Hope this is at least a decent starting point, but suggest that you set up Flight modes if you don't already use them so you can trim the elevator in flight for each flap setting.

Name:	20201026_213838.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	333114Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_213851.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	333115Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_213930.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	333116
                Thanks, Hugh, this is great information! I was expecting to set up specific stab settings for flaps up, takeoff flaps, and landing flaps like I do in my Freewing F-4N, but was surprised that there was nothing said on that in the F-18 instructions. But I'm going to set mine up like you have yours and at least be in the ballpark for the maiden so I don't have to contend with a really out of trim airplane. I can adjust it per each flight down the road. I'm waiting on a centerburner A/B kit from RC Geek, should be here on the 27th, probably maiden first decent day after the new year after that. Might have to bring it down to Miami, the way the winds have been blowing up here! (LOL)

Have a Merry Christmas, Hugh, and thanks again for those pics and settings.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Merry Christmas to all of you too!

Comment

Thanks, Hugh, this is great information! I was expecting to set up specific stab settings for flaps up, takeoff flaps, and landing flaps like I do in my Freewing F-4N, but was surprised that there was nothing said on that in the F-18 instructions. But I'm going to set mine up like you have yours and at least be in the ballpark for the maiden so I don't have to contend with a really out of trim airplane. I can adjust it per each flight down the road. I'm waiting on a centerburner A/B kit from RC Geek, should be here on the 27th, probably maiden first decent day after the new year after that. Might have to bring it down to Miami, the way the winds have been blowing up here! (LOL)

Have a Merry Christmas, Hugh, and thanks again for those pics and settings.

Cheers

davegee
                    Likewise Evan D and davegee, hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Years! I also got the twin RC Geek burners in both mine and love 'em. Have his burners in every one of my EDF's except the A-10. If you have time and an hour of patience, I also recommend lining the exhaust nozzles with aluminum A/C tape. It's a bit of a pain with the bifurcated nozzles (same on the F-4), but IMO it more than doubles the light output. If you decide to do it (and maybe you've already done this on others), I can give you a few tips that makes it a little easier to install that I got from someone else here in the Squawk a while back.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Likewise Evan D and davegee, hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Years! I also got the twin RC Geek burners in both mine and love 'em. Have his burners in every one of my EDF's except the A-10. If you have time and an hour of patience, I also recommend lining the exhaust nozzles with aluminum A/C tape. It's a bit of a pain with the bifurcated nozzles (same on the F-4), but IMO it more than doubles the light output. If you decide to do it (and maybe you've already done this on others), I can give you a few tips that makes it a little easier to install that I got from someone else here in the Squawk a while back.
                      I'm not sure if I'll do that, but would still appreciate any tips on putting the aluminum tape in to brighten the burners, Hugh. My burner unit is on the way from San Diego, but won't be here for several days. I'd have time to put that tape in, at least in parts of the chambers to brighten it up some.

Thanks,

davegee

Comment

• I agree it's worth the effort and it is a lot of effort on this. Just make sure you over lap edges so there isn't any forward facing edge then tuck the most forward edge under the fan shroud.

Comment

I'm not sure if I'll do that, but would still appreciate any tips on putting the aluminum tape in to brighten the burners, Hugh. My burner unit is on the way from San Diego, but won't be here for several days. I'd have time to put that tape in, at least in parts of the chambers to brighten it up some.

Thanks,

davegee
                          Give it a try, you'll definitely like it. A few tips:

1) Get some dowel rods about 2 feet long in 1/2" and 5/8" diameter, and round one of the ends on each (you'll use these to smooth down the aluminum tape and a sharp square end will tear it) See Photo #1
                          2) Remove the EDF and leave the motor hatch removed (which you will have to do to install the burner cone anyway).
                          3) First install a piece at the end of the nozzle laying at a 45 degree angle to the thrust. Don't worry, you'll cover the edge exposed to the thrust later as Evan D is 100% correct you do not want any forward facing edges. This is just to get a nice finished edge at the end of the nozzle.
                          4) Cut pieces the length needed to go from nozzle end to under the EDF shroud.
                          5) Before removing backing to expose the sticky back, shape the piece fairly straight and U shaped, with the backing on the outside and just get a corner of the backing pulled up.
                          6) "lightly" tape the 1/2" rod in the center of the U, with the rounded edge up front. (see photo #2 & #3)
                          7) Remove the entire backing, and make sure it is shaped in a nice U or even more closed at the top (but not too much that it sticks to the other side).
                          8) Now "like a surgeon" and with steady hands, put the rod up the nozzle without letting any section touch the inside of the nozzle. Put it in with the back just past your first "edge" you put at the end of the nozzle with most of it covering the piece you already put down.
                          9) Press the rod down in the center and roll it to get it to stick on the inside of the nozzle. The tape should come off, if not, reach in through the exposed EDF cover and press down where necessary. You can always trim any excess up front. Use the larger dowel rod to smooth it down along the entire piece like washing a toilet bowl with the beveled end. If you mess up a piece or you manage to get it to stick somewhere before you get it in the right place, pull it out before you press it down, cut a new piece and start over (yes, I've done that many times).
                          10) Repeat again and again and again until the entire area is covered, keeping in mind Evan's advice that all exposed edges run front to back, nothing facing the thrust, and starting up under the EDF shroud.

Then Ignite The Flame!!!

Name:	20211224_171052-1.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	333245Click image for larger version

Name:	20211224_170806.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	333246Click image for larger version

Name:	20211224_171012.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	333247
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20200426_183556.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	333251

LET THERE BE LIGHT!

Name:	20200427_173546.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	333252
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• One last recommendation, definitely run 2 separate wires to the AB controller, one for each LED cone. This makes each nozzle flicker independently and looks more like the F-18 actually has 2 separate engines. I use the 2S Admiral 450mah batteries for all my burners, gets about 15 minutes of flight time on these for the F-18. That of course depends on how you program the controller to start the flicker and your throttle management, and I use a ridiculously low throttle setting like 38% (comes at like 50% I think), so it looks like my pilot has a "lead foot". But if you got it, flaunt it.
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

One last recommendation, definitely run 2 separate wires to the AB controller, one for each LED cone. This makes each nozzle flicker independently and looks more like the F-18 actually has 2 separate engines. I use the 2S Admiral 450mah batteries for all my burners, gets about 15 minutes of flight time on these for the F-18. That of course depends on how you program the controller to start the flicker and your throttle management, and I use a ridiculously low throttle setting like 38% (comes at like 50% I think), so it looks like my pilot has a "lead foot". But if you got it, flaunt it.
                                Thanks for the great tips on adding the silver tape to enhance the A/B light look. I'll look through your directions and see if I can come up with something decent like yours came out.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Question: I just got the new F-18C Freewing airplane which comes with no ordnance or stores for the wings or fuselage. I was wondering if anyone knew if the 90mm Freewing F-16C which does offer an ordnance package purchased separately is compatible with the F-18C? This package includes wing pylons, too. Are those compatible with the brackets on the wings of the F-18C?
                                  Thanks for any thoughts on this.

davegee

Comment

Question: I just got the new F-18C Freewing airplane which comes with no ordnance or stores for the wings or fuselage. I was wondering if anyone knew if the 90mm Freewing F-16C which does offer an ordnance package purchased separately is compatible with the F-18C? This package includes wing pylons, too. Are those compatible with the brackets on the wings of the F-18C?
                                    Thanks for any thoughts on this.

davegee
                                    Yes Dave, the F-16 Ordinance is compatible. If you look at the photo of mine above, those on the wing tips are from the F-16.
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Yes Dave, the F-16 Ordinance is compatible. If you look at the photo of mine above, those on the wing tips are from the F-16.
                                      Great, thanks, Hugh! I'm going to wait until I get a few flights in on the F-18, and when I get it dialed in, I'll order one of the ordnance/ drop tank packages for the F-16 to put on the Hornet.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

• While waiting for better weather/winds to maiden my new Freewing F-18C, I decided to improve the stock cockpit a bit. That grey interior didn't do anything for me. I pulled the canopy off and added a few details. I repainted the pilot to some photos I saw of the VFA-146 Blue Diamonds pilots back in the day and added some squadron patches to his helmet and shoulder. Added a paper instrument panel, some canopy handles and rear view mirrors, fabricated a rudimentary HUD, and repainted most of the grey interior black. I plan to use this cockpit pretty much for the maiden and several flights afterwards, and eventually get another cockpit and use Elbee's excellent stl files to make up a more scale and detailed cockpit.

Name:	image_77449.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	334115Click image for larger version

Name:	image_77450.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	334116

Comment

• Nice touches davegee!
                                          My YouTube RC videos: