Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing F/A-18C Hornet 90mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a batt bay extension- gain about 60mm pushing batt aft

SMC 6200 goes about 60mm further aft. Anyone interested who cannot print from above STL PM me
    Attached Files

Comment

• I’m ready for a Super Hornet after Top Gun: Maverick. To bad Freewing or eflite didn’t make separate models…..

Comment

• EFlite actually still lists and sells the FMS 70mm F-18F version, as well as FMS selling the same thing to the US. Both show no stock so maybe discontinued?
        Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Originally posted by The swede View Post
          InTheTubeDeep Tack😁
          I think I go around 95 on the CG, en work from there if I need. And I have some up elevator mixed to the flaps, I hope that will work as a starting point.
          And for the Gyro (Spektrum AR8360T) I really don’t know. Three position switch with off, 35/35/35 and 40/50/60 maybe?! if anyone has a good tip, it is gratefully received. :-) I don’t want to mess with a knob when Im flying 😅
          Not a bad idea to start around 95mm, 88mm is way too nose heavy, flies OK with lots of up elevator trim but wants to keep it's nose down on landing and is difficult to get in a high AOA. I fly both of mine at 102mm with an SMC 6200. Well over 5 minutes flight time (both have the 12 blade inrunner instead of the 9 blade stock, only to help in getting off grass) and 4 minutes if you really hot dog it. Some fly it at 110mm or even further back. I've tried it at 112mm, flew great and landed extremely nicely and gets into a nice high alpha in flight, but taking off of our grass runway which currently has a lot of bumps and pot holes, the nose wheel hits those on the take-off run and pops up each time, making the take-off rather erratic and extremely interesting. If you're flying off the beach which looks nice and smooth, you may end up at 110mm or more, unless you hit a sand castle or two.

I did remove the circuit board on both and stuck it to the side of the fuselage to get far enough back to get to 114mm and put all the electric wires and RX under the battery tray, but you may not have to get yours as far back. I built out the "LB" 3D cockpit and put a full body JJH 1/10th scale pilot in that altogether added about 250gr of extra nose weight over the stock cockpit.

Regarding gains, I'm using the AR637T and have my gain channel tied to flaps, so with flaps up, my gains are still fairly high at 45/50/55, and with take-off and landing flaps I'm around 75/85/95. I do have the gain adjust set for the right knob, but have yet to have to turn them down.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
            EFlite actually still lists and sells the FMS 70mm F-18F version, as well as FMS selling the same thing to the US. Both show no stock so maybe discontinued?
            Yeah I have that one and it flies nice but just lacks that big bird presence like the 80/90 version.

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman

​​​​​​​Hi Hugh Wiedman!

Thanks for the information regarding gains, then I have some values ​​to go by.
              Okay then maybe I should start with CG 100mm instead. Our field is on grass but very smooth and nice. I fly with Gripen and with 70mm F16 without any problems.
              I have a question for you because you fly with Spectrum.
              Can you adjust the elevator separately when you have the flaps down without affecting the setting on the elevator when the flaps are up? if you understand what I mean?! :-)

Comment

Hi Hugh Wiedman!

Thanks for the information regarding gains, then I have some values ​​to go by.
                Okay then maybe I should start with CG 100mm instead. Our field is on grass but very smooth and nice. I fly with Gripen and with 70mm F16 without any problems.
                I have a question for you because you fly with Spectrum.
                Can you adjust the elevator separately when you have the flaps down without affecting the setting on the elevator when the flaps are up? if you understand what I mean?! :-)
                Absolutely! With Spektrum TX, there are 2 ways to do that, and every aircraft I have with flaps I use both:

1) 1st group of Function List items on transmitter when you press the slider, go to "Flap System". This is where you program Position 0-2 to a 3 position switch, most people use switch D, you program the flap deflection for flaps up/take-off/landing and adjustment of the elevator for each. The elevator adjust obviously depends on the degree of flap deflection you use (everyone may have their own preference or go with manual recommendations). I'm using about what is recommended at 20mm for take-off and 40mm for landing. Elevator comp is actually DOWN elevator with flaps, so I' using about 2% for take-off and 3% for landing. This set up is JUST A STARTING POINT.

2) Now this next set up is an absolute must for anyone using flaps. Obviously, every surface you set up on the bench is a guess starting point and you must trim each surface in flight depending on your balance point/preferences and even adjust potentially slightly on every flight with temp and winds. Therefore, it is HIGHLY recommended that you also program FLIGHT MODES in your transmitter. This allows you to trim any surface you choose at each position of the flaps while flying and have that specific trim remain associated with each flap position.

Go back to the Function List, scroll to the bottom of the first group of items to System Setup (sorry if I'm assuming this is all new to you and I'm sure you know how to navigate around the menus, but just in case). After pressing that, it asks if you really want to go there as it will disable the RF, then a second group of items comes up, go to F-Mode Setup. You can set up multiple FM switches, but just set switch 1 to your Flap Switch, which for me is D. Go back to menu and scroll down to Trim Setup and click that. You'll see a list starting with Throttle: 5 Common Digital. Go to the trim type next to Elevator, click on it and change it to F MODE by clicking it (default is common). You can/should also change trim type of Aileron to F MODE and for Rudder as well. Now go back to menu items and go to Spoken Flight Mode (actually you can also go here after assigning the FM switch, sorry forgot about that). This allows you to program what the TX says to you as you change the switch. Next to Speak, click on it and it brings up a long menu of things it will say. I like it to keep it's mouth shut so I set it for Silence. That's because I've already programmed in the 1st set of menus under "Custom Voice Setup" everything I want each switch to say when I change them, so for the Flap Switch, it says "Flaps UP", "Take-Off Flaps" and "Landing Flaps".

Now when you fly, as you trim each surface with flaps up then go to take-off flaps, the trims you make there will be specific for that flap setting and the same with landing flaps. Also be mindful that the trims you put in while flying it flaps up, WILL NOT be carried over to trims in take-off or landing flaps. So at the beginning, if all trims are 0 for each flap position, you take it up and have to add a lot of elevator with flaps up, when you now go to take-off flaps, trims will be 0 there for elevator. You can check to make sure it's working correctly by seeing the trim locations on your screen (probably all at 0 unless you've already flown it), then change flaps and change one of the trims, go back back to flaps up and it will have the original trim there. You can set the trims in the Trim Setup menu for elevator only if you want (and obviously this one is a must), but I recommend you at least also do it for Ailerons. This way, if your flaps do not both deflect at the exact same distance (and most of the time one may be 1/2mm different-rare to get them to be exactly the same), then you will also be able to trim it to stay level with each flap position (that sure helps on landing!!!). Rudder is not as important to be able to change, but I include that as well just in case.

For me, this is the single most useful TX tool you can use with flaps. It will make you're flying experience so much more enjoyable and simple. Yes, you have a lot of trimming to do on the maiden, 3 surfaces at each flap position (so potentially 9 trim settings), but once done, your F-18 is locked and loaded and when you change flaps, the aircraft won't change orientation a bit and you'll wonder if you've actually changed the flaps. Additionally, as you dial in your landing technique (speed and attitude), you can easily change the elevator trim with full flaps to compensate so at your approach speed you can set it to keep the nose a little up when sinking or anyway you like without it affecting your take-off or regular flying!

Hope this helps and makes sense, let me know if you have any questions.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! For your time to explain this!
                  Now everything works as I want! Yes I have already set the flaps for switch D, but I didnt know that I could have the same swich for both flaps and for F-mode.

Even if I though and suspected it was something like that. But it is not easy when you do not know how :-)
                  Thank you very much, I offer beer when you come to Sweden :-)

And I will save this explanation!!

Best regards!

Comment

Hugh Wiedman

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! For your time to explain this!
                    Now everything works as I want! Yes I have already set the flaps for switch D, but I didnt know that I could have the same swich for both flaps and for F-mode.

Even if I though and suspected it was something like that. But it is not easy when you do not know how :-)
                    Thank you very much, I offer beer when you come to Sweden :-)

And I will save this explanation!!

Best regards!
                    You're most welcome! I'll go anywhere for a good brew! And don't feel bad about not knowing, my "glass is still only about a 1/4 full". Fortunately an expert pilot showed it to me so we all learn from each other, and I learn so much from a lot of the great minds on this forum who are happy to help me out. No question is stupid, just leave those to me!
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Big12fan View Post

Yeah I have that one and it flies nice but just lacks that big bird presence like the 80/90 version.
                      I do agree with you there. The Freewing90 definitely surpasses the FMS70 in scale flight and presence.
                      Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Burners 1st test!

Attached Files

Comment

• Maiden this morning, CG 100mm - flew well, a little twitchy no gyro yet, on landing floated for ever dead stick!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Flight 2 was fun this morning Ute was at the beach when I arrived, filmed a fun flight! video editing now here are a few grabs Batt: SMC 6s 6200 CG: 100mm
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by InTheTubeDeep View Post
                              Flight 2 was fun this morning Ute was at the beach when I arrived, filmed a fun flight! video editing now here are a few grabs Batt: SMC 6s 6200 CG: 100mm
                              Looks like you're getting it dialed in and quickly after only 2 flights. Nice looking landing with the perfect nose high AOA. I think you're liking the 100mm balance point!
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Looks like you're getting it dialed in and quickly after only 2 flights. Nice looking landing with the perfect nose high AOA. I think you're liking the 100mm balance point!
                                Right on -Thanks for all the info guys! 100mm seems ideal- I dead sticked her in again, she just refuses to come down otherwise! Landing was sweet!! perhaps just tiny THR like 10% would produce a wheelie landing, maybe next time :D
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Full maiden

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Todays wonderful beach fly with Ute

Comment

• Gorgeous morning for a Blue Angel fly

Attached Files

Comment

• The Flying Toaster rolls on

Comment

• and now we have the opposite of Loco's empty beach flyin' corn:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X