X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    Many C ratings are guestimates at best. The stock 6S pulls about 110A. I have 35C 5000's that don't sag or get hot pulling an occasional 110-115A. So bottom line it depends on the quality of your battery.
    Thanks!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Agree with Evan D . I'm using an SMC 6200 40C (actual C tests out to 38-39) with the 12 blade inrunner and I pulling 126.8 Amps and 3190 Watts with fully charged battery. Guaranteed the batteries you are using probably test out to an actual C of maybe 60% of advertised (if that), so you have no issues to worry about with the 130 A ESC. Use the battery that gives you a combination of the longest flight time and best flying characteristics knowing that the lighter the weight the better it will fly, but also the less flying time, so you'll have to make a choice.
      Thanks!!

Comment

• I finally got to fly my first flight on my Freewing F/A-18C by myself this morning, before the winds pick up. The first two flights were done by a friend of mine in the club. The first flight was a bit scary, I think it was due to my putting on some foam F-16 pylons under the wings that I can only think bent in the slipstream, and caused some real trim issues. The second flight he flew without any ordnance or pylons and it flew much better. Today's flight with me at the controls went pretty well. I'm glad I've been practicing with my A-4 and F-4. That seemed to help, as well as doing a warmup flight with my reliable T-33.

I added a Spektrum AR637T receiver in the plane after the first flight and that seemed to help some, too. I have a second cockpit using the super cool printed parts from Elbee, but for now use it as a static cockpit until I rearrange the fuselage innards to accommodate the extra space needed and CG changes. Also has a RC Geek simulated A/B lighting system, which looks pretty cool, I think.

I took a few pics after the flight. Stock build, stock set up and recommended settings by the manual and other Hobby Squawk folks. Did paint up the pilot a bit with helmet insignia used by VFA-146 Blue Diamonds.

Used a Admiral 5000 50C battery, about 3 1/2 minutes total flight time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1103.jpgadjsuted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.7 KB ID:	345909Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1104.jpgadjsuted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.6 KB ID:	345910Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1102.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.8 KB ID:	345911

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
          I finally got to fly my first flight on my Freewing F/A-18C by myself this morning, before the winds pick up. The first two flights were done by a friend of mine in the club. The first flight was a bit scary, I think it was due to my putting on some foam F-16 pylons under the wings that I can only think bent in the slipstream, and caused some real trim issues. The second flight he flew without any ordnance or pylons and it flew much better. Today's flight with me at the controls went pretty well. I'm glad I've been practicing with my A-4 and F-4. That seemed to help, as well as doing a warmup flight with my reliable T-33.

I added a Spektrum AR637T receiver in the plane after the first flight and that seemed to help some, too. I have a second cockpit using the super cool printed parts from Elbee, but for now use it as a static cockpit until I rearrange the fuselage innards to accommodate the extra space needed and CG changes. Also has a RC Geek simulated A/B lighting system, which looks pretty cool, I think.

I took a few pics after the flight. Stock build, stock set up and recommended settings by the manual and other Hobby Squawk folks. Did paint up the pilot a bit with helmet insignia used by VFA-146 Blue Diamonds.

Used a Admiral 5000 50C battery, about 3 1/2 minutes total flight time.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-1103.jpgadjsuted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.7 KB ID:	345909Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-1104.jpgadjsuted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.6 KB ID:	345910Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-1102.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.8 KB ID:	345911
          Great Stuff Dave, congrats on the maiden. You may want to go to an SMC 6200 40C battery to give you another minute or so (have my timer set at 4:20 but always go a bit longer with the in-flight voltage alarm with the voltage telemetry cable the RX comes with). You'll also find that the Admiral 50C is more like a true 25C where the SMC's are right around 39C (and only 100 gr heavier), which will give you a bit more punch and longer flight times.

BTW, if your getting comfortable with the F-18, you shouldn't worry much about the Mig, just keep away from the 2 issues discussed (but with the new fans and the TV nozzles, only the high speed pass with full flaps would be a problem).
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Great Stuff Dave, congrats on the maiden. You may want to go to an SMC 6200 40C battery to give you another minute or so (have my timer set at 4:20 but always go a bit longer with the in-flight voltage alarm with the voltage telemetry cable the RX comes with). You'll also find that the Admiral 50C is more like a true 25C where the SMC's are right around 39C (and only 100 gr heavier), which will give you a bit more punch and longer flight times.

BTW, if your getting comfortable with the F-18, you shouldn't worry much about the Mig, just keep away from the 2 issues discussed (but with the new fans and the TV nozzles, only the high speed pass with full flaps would be a problem).
            Thanks, Hugh. I'm going really easy with this plane for now. I have put two of these in the dirt years ago, so I want to try and avoid that in the future! On both those we played with tailerons, full span flaps, etc., and that might have contributed to the problems, not sure. I think for me at least, I have plenty of power even at this altitude, and I'm pretty content with a 3-3 1/2 minute flight profile. But I'll consider the bigger battery in time. If I go with flying the printed parts canopy, I might want a bigger battery, or at least shift mine back to compensate for the weight of the full cockpit.

I did finally get that "fat ass" pilot like what you have. It took so long to get here, that I had forgotten all about ordering it. In the meantime, I found that smaller, lighter pilot, and I think I'll put "ol' fatass" in storage for another project someday. He would have needed a lot of "persuasion" to fit in that seat!!

Oh, although this is late, Congrats on getting your Russian jet fighter in AMA magazine. Looks great!

Cheers

Dave

Comment

• Congrats davegee on the successful maiden! She's a looker for sure!
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                Congrats davegee on the successful maiden! She's a looker for sure!
                Thanks, Aros. I have to admit I had some trepidation about flying this airplane, being that I "killed" two of them several years ago. But it flew well, similar to my A-4 and F-4, and after three flights now, is still unmarked. I consider that a good thing!! I hope to get many flights with it and my other planes this summer.

Flew the B-2 this morning, a great cruiser, and a nice landing but some little bounces due to our rough runway. I would love to fly this on a smooth street or runway!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• I hear you on the crashes...This model has snake bit me. Made me doubt my stick skills, lol. I love this jet, my favorite current jet out there, especially the BA livery but boy I have not had the best of luck with her. At some point I am going to try again.
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Just finished my conversion. JL conversion kit by BigBoyRC. Starting with existing wings and tails, but with new fuselage kit, it took just over six hours to go from box to taxi test.

Comment

• This one's a little sketchy (sorry James - I wasn't familiar with MRC when I started...), but does anyone have an opinion on whether I should swap out the EDF in my EFL F-18 80mm with something higher performance, and if so, what would you recommend for a spec...?

Please advise and thanks in advance...

(James, FW planes I have now far out-number the EFLs...)

Comment

• 80mm E Flite F-18... ahh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          80mm E Flite F-18... ahh.
                          ??? what does that mean...?

Comment

Who would be dumb enough to do a high speed pass with the flaps down...? Seems counter-intuitive...

Oh! That's right - I've done that... 🤣

My buddy Buzzy (don't read too much into the name, even though it's probably true...), same age, basically same upbringing, but never was forced to learn PCs, started flying last year about the same time I did and had never touched a PC until I took him one of my old ones and hooked him up with RealFlight, doesn't have (his own doing) the access to this wealth of knowledge that I do from all of you guys. It's truly scary to watch him fly...🤣🤣🤣

Comment

• I wrote something stupid and deleted it… probably still left a lot of stupid…

Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post

??? what does that mean...?

Comment

• My new F18 Blue Angel was supposed to delivered Fedex Saturday but like all shippers the box seems to sit at each location an extra day or 2- I 3D designed printed wingtip rails I'll wait til my 18 arrives and test the fitment- MartinField sent me the dimensions we'll see how close it is! Btw are there Mods here like RCG who will ding you for saying FaceBook!!??

Comment

• whats up ITD? good to see you finally over here. This aint no RCG that for sure. I hardly even go there anymore. I think you'll like the F-18 she is a very capable platform and a great show topper. The BA will look good over the caps of La Jolla.

Gravy

Comment

• Originally posted by InTheTubeDeep View Post
                                    My new F18 Blue Angel...
                                    TD, Welcome to "The Squawk". Glad to have you onboard, Sir. Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by InTheTubeDeep View Post
                                      My new F18 Blue Angel was supposed to delivered Fedex Saturday but like all shippers the box seems to sit at each location an extra day or 2- I 3D designed printed wingtip rails I'll wait til my 18 arrives and test the fitment- MartinField sent me the dimensions we'll see how close it is! Btw are there Mods here like RCG who will ding you for saying FaceBook!!??
                                      I think you'll enjoy this forum much better than RCG and there's a ton of great advice here and no dictators! I've learned so much from the guys here it's not funny (but I still have a long way to go) and everyone is willing to help out a brother RC addict! There's a wealth of information on the F-18 and if you can't find it, just ask, there's always someone here that has the answer!
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hey Gravy LB and Hugh! Seriously RCG is like walking on eggshells, abiding by woke childish rules had enough!! Good to be here more free ;). Mine arrived yesterday what a beauty! I had to tweak my wingtip rails easy now with wings in hand- You guys fly with the A3 Super 4?? I have one never used it- needed or not??
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• I don't use any stabilizer on her at all. I use a HRB 6S 6000 mah 50C. I get good vertical and plenty of flight time. I land with a little power and let her settle right in.
                                          I also have mine set up with Tailerons and ailerons. Not a lot of throw on ailerons as the tailerons do most the work. The ailerons do help to get a better straight screw effect during aileron rolls. I can't remember my CG off hand. I will say she is a joy to fly when I take her out. I hope to soon (after I return from my vacation) to take her and the 16 TB out together and do a back to back. to see which I like better. My Bet is the 18BA.

Gravy

Comment

Working...
                                          X