• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleted cross postings

-GG.

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
      I bought the ordnance package for the Freewing F-16 to try and use some of it on my Freewing F-18C. I will definitely use the AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles on the wingtips, but was wondering if anyone had put the pylons on the wings to hang the missiles. Outside of one slot on the bottom of the wings, I don't see any way to attach the pylons, and they aren't really the same shape as the ones on the real airplanes. I could probably live with that for now, but not sure how I would hook them on (without gluing them, which I really don't want to do). Any ideas, photos, tips?

Thanks,

Davegee
      Here are some pics from my recent F-18C project. Installed 4 custom mounts into the wings for the pylons. All launchers and missiles are removable allowing for unlimited loadouts.

Comment

• In an attempt to get the info out to more folks, I thought that cross posting would help.

I have deleted all the cross posts that the system would allow and will leave the thread in the RADIOS AND RECEIVERS thread.

​​​​​​​-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Smokie View Post

Here are some pics from my recent F-18C project. Installed 4 custom mounts into the wings for the pylons. All launchers and missiles are removable allowing for unlimited loadouts.
          That looks fabulous, Smokie! Where did you get the scale looking pylons for the F-18C? If they were 3D printed, if you have a link to the STLs, that would be marvelous, I would like to do the same with mine. Is it possible for you to take a pic of the underneath of the wings to show the placement of the pylons? I have a few questions on that that would be answered if I could see a pic or two of the pylons installed on the wings. Well done!!

Thanks!

Davegee

Comment

• Small mishap...

PS: Nice work Smokie, but I'm missing the painted cockpit!

Comment

• Question: may have been referenced already... is everyone using the recommended CG of 88mm or is something different better?

Rich

Comment

• Various balances have been expressed. I'm at mid 90's from memory but others are further back.

Comment

• Various balances have been expressed. I'm at mid 90's from memory but others are further back.
                  thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by jetpltrich View Post
                    Question: may have been referenced already... is everyone using the recommended CG of 88mm or is something different better?

Rich
                    I'm at 102 mm back (with a gyro). 88 mm is definitely too nose heavy. As Evan D stated, suggest you start at least at say 95mm and work you're way back. Some like Airguardian are around 110 mm but he can handle it there especially with a gyro.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Some more enjoyment :)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=337263&d=1644631709.png
Views:	465
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	337265

Comment

• Excellent photo composition! Very nice!

A bit of history regarding aviation photo composition: Back in the day, one of the all time best aviation photographers (Google Sandor Alex Aldott...images) would focus on the composition of the photo to the point of perfection. Many times I flew the power plane with Alex in it with him shooting sailplane photos out the door (door off, typically). Your photo above is VERY close to an Aldott photo composition.

As an example of near perfect composition: Below is an Aldott photo taken of me and my father...Alex clicked the shutter at the perfect time just as my dad was doing a high-speed pass/fly-by on my right wing circa 1970s. Photo taken somewhere over Marfa, TX

LOL - As he approached from behind at over 120 mph, my dad was most probably voicing on the radio, "Hold her steady, keep her steady.' Of course, the lens effect makes him appear closer than he was.

Sadly, after Alex's adult lifetime spent taking thousands of photos, the photos and negatives are nowhere to be found. It was thought that after he died, his wife gave them to a museum. But, that cannot be substantiated by any aviation museum contact and has been tried many times. Rumor was that the collection was given to the Smithsonian, but that lead did not pan out. His deceased wife took the knowledge of the priceless collection's whereabouts with her when she passed away.

-GG

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-02-12 084424.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	337287

Comment

• That's both greatly encouraging and very sad... :'(

I feel honored that you thought as highly of my composition :)

Hopefully someday his negatives appear and his pictures can be properly exposed in an aviation museum! :)

Comment

• Hi folks, just a question in between: I am happy flying the Freewing F/A 18 90mm and originally bought it in its base grey / PNP version to customize it with one of our Swiss Air Force liveries; just thought to buy another one but noticed, that it is (no longer?) available as base grey / PNP? Just temporary out of stock or would Motion RC no longer support that version? (also happy to buy diamond grey/PNP but then of course a bit more effort to paint it in our Swiss Air Force colors...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3666 (1).JPG
Views:	497
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	337834
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by JP-4203 View Post
                                Hi folks, just a question in between: I am happy flying the Freewing F/A 18 90mm and originally bought it in its base grey / PNP version to customize it with one of our Swiss Air Force liveries; just thought to buy another one but noticed, that it is (no longer?) available as base grey / PNP? Just temporary out of stock or would Motion RC no longer support that version? (also happy to buy diamond grey/PNP but then of course a bit more effort to paint it in our Swiss Air Force colors...)

Name:	IMG_3666 (1).JPG
Views:	497
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	337834
                                Interesting, I think it must have been discontinued and only the Blue Angels version and Diamond Grey are now being sold as I too no longer see the base grey on their website.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Model and full scale... close enough! :p

Name:	model_vs_fullscale.png
Views:	385
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	338114

Comment

• Hey all, I'm about to assemble my f18 and was wondering how to you go about the 7mm up elevator for neutral? Is that something I do with the control rod? Or sub trim in my nx8? Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Oh, just adjust the ball link.

Like all servos I make sure the servos are reasonably at a right angle to the push rod and more the arm appropriately. Then to fine tune it subtrim the servo. Then adjust the ball link to get the surface where it needs to be for neutral.

Comment

• Does anyone have a carbon fiber rod dimension that would fit or link on amazon for the Nose Gear Slant Strut? I'd like to glue one in there as I fly off grass. thanks.

Comment

• Elbee
                                          Elbee commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          I test fitted a 2mm rod and it fits nicely in the molded slot. Best, LB

• Hello Hornet Flyers....... Looking to set up my F-18 with Tailerons. Is there a mix that uses only the elevators/ tailerons and cancels the ailerons. I would like to set up on a switch to enable just tailerons, tailerons-ailerons and normal setup. Since winter up here on the Cape I have alot of time on my hands and would like this set up on all my jets. Currently 90mm Thunderbird (8S) , 90mm F-15 (8S) and 2 Blue F-18's.

Comment

Working...
                                        X