Comment

• I'm at 96-100mm with the Pulse 500045c. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200928-190324.png
Views:	544
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	277429

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
        Hey all, as my first check flight looms on the horizon, you gentlemen are making me a bit anxious. My overall weight will near to what Hugh Wiedman 's Canadian Show Team Hornet weighs. I would think we could all take a a few notes on his experience. Really glad to read that the power upgrade is worth the investment. I have done similarly with the Motion 90mm 12-blade and Inrunner upgrade. So good news all around. Sorry to read about your mishap, Aros but at least the blush is off the bloom. On the modification front, I have finished the NG strut bits, and it took much longer than expected but it will do. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0405.JPG
Views:	729
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	277407
        That is looking VERY slick! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Comment

• Elbee
          Elbee commented
          Editing a comment
          As am I. LOL.....Thanks TC, you're good inspiration, Sir. Best, LB

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
        Hey all, as my first check flight looms on the horizon, you gentlemen are making me a bit anxious. My overall weight will near to what Hugh Wiedman 's Canadian Show Team Hornet weighs. I would think we could all take a a few notes on his experience. Really glad to read that the power upgrade is worth the investment. I have done similarly with the Motion 90mm 12-blade and Inrunner upgrade. So good news all around. Sorry to read about your mishap, Aros but at least the blush is off the bloom. On the modification front, I have finished the NG strut bits, and it took much longer than expected but it will do. Best, LB
        I don't remember what Hugh Wiedman's AUW came out to be, but mine's at 2786 grams w/o battery, including receiver. Basically ready to fly sans battery.

This is after the re-paint, decals and ~9 grams for some 3D printed elevator pivot point reinforcements. It came out of the box 98 grams heavier than spec., but with what I assume is a heavier 1900kv inrunner power plant.

My re-paint and the decals only added ~39 grams airbrushed, which I think is pretty good on a plane this size. My Mig-21 gained ~60 grams with rattle cans for comparison purposes.

All that said, it flies fine. I've tried batteries from ~748 grams to ~858 grams and really prefer those 820 grams and under for this plane. The heaviest batteries to me are too much.

The speed on the 1900kv inrunner is really good. I like the sound too. I'll probably throw my meter on it next weekend and get some speed readings now that I've had a chance to reinforce my elevators, but it hauls the mail pretty good and I've been favorably impressed.

With takeoff flaps at ~10 degrees, mine will rotate really quickly and it still has enough power to fly out of most trouble you can get yourself into, even with full flaps. I've not yet pushed it into much post-stall stuff, but what I have done, it does take a little while to fly out of if you really push it, which is just like the F-22 on the 1750kv 9-bld, if you've flown that plane expect similar. You don't have to really drop the nose, but better not raise it much either.

Comment

• Finally maiden my Hornet! Want to thank all who answered my plea for help. Stuff I used to help get airborne off our grass field. Swapped to lighter 5000/100c batt vs 6000//50c. Used high rates 1/2 flaps full aft stick to keep nose light on take off roll. Moved cg back to 98 vs stock 88. Then, most effective was my big zero turn and mowed 1/2 the field. Flew great, easy to fly, landing sucked but no damage pretty tough gear😳. For future flights gonna order anther 100c batt and sharpen blades on my mower.

Thanks to Callie graphics for helping me make the jet I flew on west pac 94 time frame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moose115 View Post
            Finally maiden my Hornet! Want to thank all who answered my plea for help. Stuff I used to help get airborne off our grass field. Swapped to lighter 5000/100c batt vs 6000//50c. Used high rates 1/2 flaps full aft stick to keep nose light on take off roll. Moved cg back to 98 vs stock 88. Then, most effective was my big zero turn and mowed 1/2 the field. Flew great, easy to fly, landing sucked but no damage pretty tough gear😳. For future flights gonna order anther 100c batt and sharpen blades on my mower.

Thanks to Callie graphics for helping me make the jet I flew on west pac 94 time frame.
            Moose, Congrats, Sir. Love the mower remark. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
              As always you continue to impress Elbee. I think as far as CG goes maybe we need a quick roll call from F/A-18C drivers to see where they are at with CG. Anyone care to chime in?
              My 2 cents, I fly my Canadian at 92 mm, but only because I can't get the battery any further back. Even there it requires several mm of up trim and I would normally like to go further back another say 4-5 mm. Even getting to 92 mm, I had to add 1.5 ounces in the elevator servo bay and just didn't want any more lead. I'm using the RT 6250 35C battery, which only weighs 790 g and since I have the original stock 9 blade outrunner, it doesn't make any difference on the take-off thrust with a higher C battery. The inrunner will need a higher C battery (and theoretically a heavier battery) however to get maximum thrust for take-off. Mine already came in 1.2 pounds heavier than the stock grey version with the 3D cockpit, paint, urethane and afterburners. I could go to a smaller capacity battery, but it still gets off the grass in just over 100 feet, easily lands with a high A0A and I like the over 5 minutes of flight time, so I guess we just have to "pick our poison".
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

My 2 cents, I fly my Canadian at 92 mm, but only because I can't get the battery any further back. Even there it requires several mm of up trim and I would normally like to go further back another say 4-5 mm.
                Hugh Wiedman - I had the same issue with mine, limited by the blue box. Not sure if that is your issue too?

If you remove the battery tray, there's a ton of space down below it to fit all kinds of gear. I have the receiver below the tray and the BB behind the tray in a recess in the foam, with the wires running underneath it to get to the receiver.

This makes for a really clean installation with plenty of room to shift the batteries around to get whatever CG you want. I moved my battery strap back to the last slot and am able to get >100mm CG without adding any weight.

The only issue is accessing the receiver if you ever need to, as you need to remove the tray to do so.

Comment

• I fly mine with CG past 112-115mm.

Here's some action in slow motion (180fps) :)

And not so slow (60fps):

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                    I fly mine with CG past 112-115mm.

And not so slow (60fps):

Really outstanding flying, you can fly mine anytime you want!!! Looks like your CG in the 112-115 mm range has her flying very smooth and level as I noticed when you go inverted it doesn't look like you need any down elevator to keep it level. I'll bet it goes into high alpha sweet with that CG, wish I had the cajones to fly mine there!
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

I fly mine with CG past 112-115mm.

And not so slow (60fps):

Saw those on the youtube earlier this week. Really cool. I'll have to do that with my BA. I have NCH video and audio editing software.

Comment

• Thanks!

The first video I just uploaded right now so no chance you could have seen it, the other two, sure! :)

When moving CG very aft, you really want to have a gyro to help you out. It's more or less safe to do without it up until 110mm-112mm, and at that point you will notice a degradation of lateral stability at very low speeds (the plane can drift its tail with only moderate AoA). Further aft than that, I'd say drop the gyro in.

This is the only jet so far where I have not been able to make it behave tail heavy because another restriction appeared earlier (Lateral stability being more critical than longitudinal stability on this one, that is).

Comment

Thanks!

The first video I just uploaded right now so no chance you could have seen it, the other two, sure! :)

When moving CG very aft, you really want to have a gyro to help you out. It's more or less safe to do without it up until 110mm-112mm, and at that point you will notice a degradation of lateral stability at very low speeds (the plane can drift its tail with only moderate AoA). Further aft than that, I'd say drop the gyro in.

This is the only jet so far where I have not been able to make it behave tail heavy because another restriction appeared earlier (Lateral stability being more critical than longitudinal stability on this one, that is).
                          Yes seen the other. I'll keep my CG where it is without a gyro. Flew perfect for me. I didn't use the rates in the book. Went with 80% on all flight controls and 30% expo. Best landing ever for this type of edf. Just waiting on a new servo. Starbord one quit working properly after first flight.

Comment

• I have issues with landings as I'm used to abuse slow-flight / high alpha with the Su-35 and Eurofighter and this jet won't take it.
                            Too much AoA and it will dip a wing very badly. Not a fan, but it is what it is. I have to keep drilling myself to maintain speed up on approach.

Comment

• Graphics arrived today for the RCAF 2018 NORAD demo plane. Going to be tricky to get things to match with the real plane. Usually takes a few re-dos and living with some scale departures before I get it where I can move forward. Hopefully will look good in the end though.

Name:	FWF18.jpeg
Views:	512
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	277632

Comment

• Originally posted by uscanuck1xa View Post
                                Graphics arrived today for the RCAF 2018 NORAD demo plane. Going to be tricky to get things to match with the real plane. Usually takes a few re-dos and living with some scale departures before I get it where I can move forward. Hopefully will look good in the end though.

Name:	FWF18.jpeg
Views:	512
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	277632
                                That's going to be sweet, Callie doesn't even have those graphics on her website. Can't wait to see the final product, we'll have to get together and fly our Canuck F-18's in formation!
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Morning Guys,

More flap problems with my F-18....

After taking motions advice i removed the delay on my flaps and had two good flights and nice landings with her. I thought i had solved it.........

Last night the first flight of the night, she landed VERY hot, not problems, just very fast. Turns out upon collecting her from the field, the flaps had gone back up on their own again, or more likely failed to deploy based upon the approach speed.

Stupidly i decided to fly her again! Second flight, she started to roll on her own again, so i started an emergency landing that resulted in me over flying the strip, as i decided to not risk doing anything with the flaps, a stall and a tree ended up catching her for me.

I have gotten away quiet light in reality a few battle scares. I've decided these flap servos have to go! Can someone recommend a sensibly priced replacement.

I will remove them from the blue box as well. I assume this is as simple as using a Y-harness out of the RX and running separate extensions down to the wings to bypass the ribbon?

Thanks for your help guys, the two flights i've had where everything worked as it should, have been great, these continued problems are very much spoiling things as you can imagine lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Necroscope View Post
                                    Morning Guys,

More flap problems with my F-18....
                                    I had asymmetrical deployment of flaps on one of my flights. Fortunately wrestled it down without issue and only saw the problem once on the ground wondering WTF happened.

Airguardian recommended these: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/corona-9...sec-12-5g.html as a drop-in fit, but HobbyKing is really dropping the ball on my orders lately and this one is still processing after ~2 weeks.

So, I ordered a pair of these as I'm impatient: https://gator-rc.com/kingmax-km0940m...ars-mini-servo. Dimensionally they look like they'll fit, but no guarantees as I haven't received them yet. They are much higher torque than the Coronas though.

However, if you haven't already, move your flap servo linkage in a hole. Evan D recommended that and I had enough threading to make it work. So far, through six flights, no more issues. I'm still replacing these servos, but I've made sure to be slowed down before any flap deployment and drop the gear way in advance to create more drag to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post

I had asymmetrical deployment of flaps on one of my flights. Fortunately wrestled it down without issue and only saw the problem once on the ground wondering WTF happened.

Airguardian recommended these: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/corona-9...sec-12-5g.html as a drop-in fit, but HobbyKing is really dropping the ball on my orders lately and this one is still processing after ~2 weeks.

So, I ordered a pair of these as I'm impatient: https://gator-rc.com/kingmax-km0940m...ars-mini-servo. Dimensionally they look like they'll fit, but no guarantees as I haven't received them yet. They are much higher torque than the Coronas though.

However, if you haven't already, move your flap servo linkage in a hole. Evan D recommended that and I had enough threading to make it work. So far, through six flights, no more issues. I'm still replacing these servos, but I've made sure to be slowed down before any flap deployment and drop the gear way in advance to create more drag to do so.
                                      Thanks Mizer.

Is there a confirm direct replacement from Hitec do we know? Something that preferably doesn't have a problem with slow deployment lol.

Thanks for the advice on moving the servo linkage in. For refernce in my frustration after recovering her, i actuated the servos lots of times with no problem. When fully deployed they are also very strong, i certainly couldnt manually deflect them. I also simulated several hard landings with the deployed and they stay in position without issue. All i know right now is, that they are being swapped out.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Necroscope View Post

Thanks Mizer.

Is there a confirm direct replacement from Hitec do we know? Something that preferably doesn't have a problem with slow deployment lol.

Thanks for the advice on moving the servo linkage in. For refernce in my frustration after recovering her, i actuated the servos lots of times with no problem. When fully deployed they are also very strong, i certainly couldnt manually deflect them. I also simulated several hard landings with the deployed and they stay in position without issue. All i know right now is, that they are being swapped out.....
                                        Unfortunately I can't help r.e. the Hitechs. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

I also have actuated and used my servos a number of times after the failed deployment without issue. I suspect they're much weaker in dynamic torque than holding/static torque, which is why both Motion recommends fast deployment as well as you can't make them move once in position easily.

Comment

Working...
                                        X