Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW Warbirds, I don't think that this is the type of paint that can be roughed up with any grade of sandpaper, it is a rubbery film with low adhesion properties. Probably safer to just wipe with alcohol and prime. Do a search and you will find other ways to paint over an already painted EPO model.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
      Slowflight Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Slowflight! We designed this bird to be flown on a 6s 5000. As seen in our "Torture Test" video, I often power down to less than half throttle. For endurance flights, which we haven't published yet but I'm sure by now many other pilots can confirm is possible, I set takeoff flaps and cruise at about 25% throttle with level rudder turns to maintain lift, and back off to even less during slow passes for camera, sometimes just above idle. The key with an airliner when its slow is to let it rebuild inertia before turning, and when turning, keeping the wing flat. I avoid cutting all power, because at that point the EDFs behave like huge air brakes.

My point is, stretching the 6s 5000 is entirely possible if you're looking for scale appearance and longer flight times.

If you're asking because you already have 5s 5000 packs, I can tell you, -- *UNOFFICIALLY* -- That we also tested our prototypes and pre-production AL37s on 5s and even 4s. We just changed the battery, but nothing else inside the aircraft. While initial acceleration is unsurprisingly lower on a twin 4s 4000mAh pack and thus requires a longer rollout on harder surfaces, the model does fly just fine once up to speed. It's more of a scale cruiser at that point and won't roll or loop like the stock 6s setup can. On 5s, the AL37 will fly in between the 4s and 6s, with overlapping performance in logical conditions.

I hope this gives you enough information to decide if you want to try flying the AL37 on a non-stock 5s battery setup.
      Thanks for the fast response Alpha, I kind of figured a scale flight would be obtainable and I have no interest in burning the sky with like a warbird. I have 16 sets of 5s I want to put to use when Im not flying my 12ft Basler AT67, thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by killickb View Post
        SW Warbirds, I don't think that this is the type of paint that can be roughed up with any grade of sandpaper, it is a rubbery film with low adhesion properties. Probably safer to just wipe with alcohol and prime. Do a search and you will find other ways to paint over an already painted EPO model.
        Very good thanks !

Comment

• Well just pulled the trigger, a AL37 is on the way as a Christmas present from me to me.

Comment

• And my build has started
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
              The key with an airliner when its slow is to let it rebuild inertia before turning, and when turning, keeping the wing flat. I avoid cutting all power, because at that point the EDFs behave like huge air brakes.
              Hey Alpha. I have a question regarding keeping the wing "flat". Do you mean perform a "skidding turn"? If so, doesn't that increase a risk of an inboard tip stall, due to lower inboard airspeed, and higher angle of attack for the aileron to maintain level flight on the turn? This is actually the way I have flown my A330, but someone pointed out the aerodynamic aspect and had me re-thinking the way I took the airliner on turns.

Comment

• I wasn't aware anything like this existed until my Son showed me videos over the weekend. This is what I really want to fly, but I need to learn and practice first, preferably with something a bit less expensive (although this plane is a lot less expensive than I thought)

Comment

• PineCat Welcome home to Hobby Squawk, PineCat! It sounds like you're new to RC aircraft? Do you have any experience with other types of RC? I hope you find Hobby Squawk to be a fun place to share with like-minded people. We're all a bit "plane crazy", in the best way, and happy to help new RC pilots grow. You're right, our AL37 is not an ideal first airplane (or second or third or fourth), but there are many paths to get started in a safe and fun way without breaking the bank.

There's lot of information here on Hobby Squawk to get started, and also on our Knowledge Blog: https://www.motionrc.com/blogs/motion-rc-blog

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• No where near finished . Engines will be in for painting tomorrow . And radio setup needs to be done
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Enough for one day
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Keep in mind airliners normally turn at a roll angle of 30 degrees. I did a maiden flight on this airplane Sunday and it will stand on a wingtip but it requires a lot of up elevator and is on the edge of a stall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                          Got my maiden flight. Two issues but other than that it’s awesome.
                          1st it had to add a metric ton of right Aileron trim. I’m guessing 4-5mm down on the left and up on the right.
                          something is definitely off.
                          2nd those wheels got to go. Motion you need to offer upgraded wheels with bearings for purchase. I’m going to see it LT to tomcat wheels can work. Rolling out on takeoff and landings are full of cringe. It’s like thinking of your mom when you start having sexy time with the wife. Total mood killer.

Other than that it was awesome.

gravy
                          Mine sounded like a bad Walmart shopping cart till I finally tried some motorcycle chain lube and the wheel noise disappeared. It's the kind that comes in a spray can and comes out like a foam. You can probably get it at your local auto store. Got mine from Discount Auto I think. The BUCK gun oil with Teflon I used did not work. You might check your flap settings as well as elevators for the aileron issue and adjust accordingly.

Comment

• I bought some different wheels to try out before o put oil on it. I have some of that chain oil as well as sewing machine oil. I just don’t want oil getting on the plane.
                            flaps are as flush as can be as the elevator were matched. My buddy has an incident tool we are going to check that with. It kind of looks as front of the tip side of the left wing is twisted up, but really hard to tell with my old eyes.

gravy

Comment

• Hello AL37 family, just wanted to share some Happy and Sad feelings. Happy that she flies amazing, I have to say a big thank you to my builder and test pilot Caption AL Larson. Sad as I open the box and it was broken and damaged. But after a some A&P help from the Captain Larson, the plane was fixed and in flight.

Comment

• Originally posted by killickb View Post
                                SW Warbirds, I don't think that this is the type of paint that can be roughed up with any grade of sandpaper, it is a rubbery film with low adhesion properties. Probably safer to just wipe with alcohol and prime. Do a search and you will find other ways to paint over an already painted EPO model.
                                Actually I found the factory applied paint fairly easy to sand using 220 sandpaper but you must be careful not to sand thru in places. After a little sanding you get a feel for when to stop. Fast aggressive sanding is bad as it generates heat and causes the paint to peel more easily. After light to moderate sanding, a brushed on coat or two of water-based sanding sealer followed by light sanding again produces a smooth surface for color application.

Don

Comment

• Hi Guys Wondering what's the best glue to use to glue the 2 fuselage halves together Thanks in advance

Comment

• Hi everyone! New to this forum. Finally finished my AL37 and anxiously awaiting to maiden.

Comment

• Originally posted by Styk View Post
                                      Hi Guys Wondering what's the best glue to use to glue the 2 fuselage halves together Thanks in advance
                                      The glue that comes with plane .

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyboy6870 View Post
                                        Hi everyone! New to this forum. Finally finished my AL37 and anxiously awaiting to maiden.
                                        I like it , almost did Trumps plane myself !

Comment

• Here is the video of my maiden done by one of the guys out at our field. Wind was 10-15 and out of west north/west.
                                          those damn wheels though.

gravy

Comment

Working...
                                          X