Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Created a custom 3D printed battery tray, just need to locate CofG then silicone it in place.
    Now, regarding CofG, how have you balanced this plane. I have a CG machine and wonder if that will work with the plane upside down on it. Any better or more accurate?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks Folks 👍, appreciate the welcome and advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scale Freak View Post
        Created a custom 3D printed battery tray, just need to locate CofG then silicone it in place.
        Now, regarding CofG, how have you balanced this plane. I have a CG machine and wonder if that will work with the plane upside down on it. Any better or more accurate?
        Is that tray movable? If not, then you must be planning to use the same battery each time. Insofar as to balancing upside down or right side up, my rule of thumb is ........................ Low wing plane - upside down. High wing plane - right side up. Mid wing plane - whichever way the plane is most stable to hold (ie, less teetering effect). Next, comes the question of "gear up" or "gear down". It seems each person has their preference for which one to choose and each person will have a rationale explanation as to why. Go with your own gut on this one.
        Regarding "better or more accurate"? This is a fairly large plane and reviews have shown so far, that it will fly very well with a wide range of CG. Most pick a bit nose heavy for maiden, then adjusting to suit personal tastes after that. You have a "CG machine". My CG machine goes by the punchline of an old joke ............................. "By the grace of God and with the help of these two little fingers ................................. " That's all the accuracy I've ever needed in nearly 150 model planes. Smaller, light planes may need a bit more sensitivity in balancing.

Comment

• Xviper, thank you. The batt tray is designed for that specific battery, I am toying with the idea of a more universal tray, but at the moment, this is the only battery type I have for the plane.
          thanks for the input re CG, and I'll use the 'ol machine.

Comment

Xviper, thank you. The batt tray is designed for that specific battery, I am toying with the idea of a more universal tray, but at the moment, this is the only battery type I have for the plane.
            thanks for the input re CG, and I'll use the 'ol machine.
            You should look at making a "slider" base so it can be moved, rather than siliconing it permanently. There is a fellow who makes a balsa battery holder just like this and he's been selling them quite successfully. This one is for a Carbon Z Cub but he makes them for other planes as well. This is to give you an idea how he does it, not to get you to buy one from him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill400 View Post
              Hi Folks,
              New to the forum and I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions on this model.....
              Do you think the winglets are modifiable, in as much as removing the lower section to get it more like a - 800 series aeroplane and, does anyone know how I can get hold of the model in the U. K.?
              Just order from https://www.motionrc.eu free postage to UK and will arrive promptly once in stock

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                You should look at making a "slider" base so it can be moved, rather than siliconing it permanently.
                That's a great idea, I'll have to try and work on making a secure base which the tray can be positioned on.

Comment

That's a great idea, I'll have to try and work on making a secure base which the tray can be positioned on.

It's certainly something to consider. This will give you some flexibility over the years. Your plane may last longer than your batteries and this way, you have more choice when it comes time of buy new batteries. I see you use Gens Ace. I also use the 5000mah, Gens Ace. They are a fine battery but a bit on the expensive side. Over the years, I've acquired many, many other brands of very good batteries for much less money and they all weigh a bit different. I usually mark the placement spot on all my planes for 2 to 3 different weights of batteries. And you never know, one day, you'll be at the field and someone will offer to lend you one of their batteries just so you can do one more flight before you go home.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    It's certainly something to consider. This will give you some flexibility over the years. Your plane may last longer than your batteries and this way, you have more choice when it comes time of buy new batteries. I see you use Gens Ace. I also use the 5000mah, Gens Ace. They are a fine battery but a bit on the expensive side. Over the years, I've acquired many, many other brands of very good batteries for much less money and they all weigh a bit different. I usually mark the placement spot on all my planes for 2 to 3 different weights of batteries. And you never know, one day, you'll be at the field and someone will offer to lend you one of their batteries just so you can do one more flight before you go home.
                    Sounds like a Unicorn to me....that is a plane that lasts longer than a new battery......I need to get better at flying I guess :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Nebraska Trevor View Post

Sounds like a Unicorn to me....that is a plane that lasts longer than a new battery......I need to get better at flying I guess :)
                      That is quite humorous. I know exactly what you mean. It took me a long time (years) before my planes outlasted my batteries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                        Wow love the clarity! Nice work (you too urrl as usual)...Where did you place the cam? And what cam did you use?
                        I use the old Mobius camera with the ultrawide angle. Just 1080p recordings. Keeps the file sizes undercontrol. Ironically I made the camera mount out of expired Alaska Credit cards. I made a triangular mount and velcro it to the side of the Vertical Stab. I used some black velcro so it isn't too obvious from the side view. My camera has some velcro underneath it to secure it to the horizontal part of the Alaska Credit Card mount.

GC

Comment

• Managed to get a maiden in. Slightly windy but
                          still ok but bouncy in anything over 10mph and cross wind landings get tricking

definitely needs high rates on both aileron and elevator.

used admiral 5000 and 5200 vant lipos and flew for around 3 mins with around 37% left .

here is a video of the second flight ( unfortunately not as good as the maiden ) .

Attached Files

Comment

• I just opened my decal pack up today (Plain white version) I have had the plane a couple of weeks but just opened it today to see what the tail decals looked like, and to potentially use them as patterns. I found some very nice window and door decals, but both the rudder and tail section "decals" seem to be printed on poster board, no vinyl of any kind. Honestly probably not a huge deal as I likely won't use them but if a person bought the plain version with the intention of installing the decals themselves this would be a bit of a bummer. Did I miss something? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191229_153024.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	225201

Comment

• Well, I found that little piece of whats like rubber kitchen shelf liner and put the battery on that and snugged it down, it's not moving anywhere. So my custom battery tray, a fun project and cool to create, wont be needed.
                              I am going to cut the BEC off of the main battery leads and plug it in to a small reciever battery.
                              I dont like the reciever being fed off of the main battery in this type of situation.

Comment

• Trying a few new on board views, hope it is ok...

Comment

I just opened my decal pack up today (Plain white version) I have had the plane a couple of weeks but just opened it today to see what the tail decals looked like, and to potentially use them as patterns. I found some very nice window and door decals, but both the rudder and tail section "decals" seem to be printed on poster board, no vinyl of any kind. Honestly probably not a huge deal as I likely won't use them but if a person bought the plain version with the intention of installing the decals themselves this would be a bit of a bummer. Did I miss something? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191229_153024.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	225201
                                  Those are waterslide decals. You need to submerge them in water for 5 or so minutes and then slide them off the backing onto the area.

Comment

• Ha, we'll I guess I am an idiot. I have been around vinyl so long that I forgot those even exist. Thanks for the answer...... I feel silly.

Comment

Ha, we'll I guess I am an idiot. I have been around vinyl so long that I forgot those even exist. Thanks for the answer...... I feel silly.
                                      Not at all man! One of the most popular questions we get asked a lot. I've also 100% tried to peel off stickers thinking that they either hardened or were printed on the wrong paper.

Comment

• A fellow club member helped me take some pictures of my Alaska Airlines AL37 flying a few days back with my camera! I really love how real it looks!!! Enjoy these photos!

GC

Comment

• These AL37 liveries/photos continue to amaze me. You really need to look carefully to tell that these are not full-size aircraft. Well done and keep them coming.

Comment

Working...
                                          X