Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing T-33 Shooting Star 80mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics arrived and clear is ready to go on when I get my next days off. Now to learn this new iX12.

Comment

• Excellent

Comment

• Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
        Graphics arrived and clear is ready to go on when I get my next days off. Now to learn this new iX12.
        F22, yes, most excellent indeed. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Heading to Winter Warbirds tomorrow morning. Possibly a maiden video also.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Look forward to some video!

Comment

Heading to Winter Warbirds tomorrow morning...
              F22, gorgeous repaint my friend. Bravo Zulu. Best, Steve
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Heading to Winter Warbirds tomorrow morning. Possibly a maiden video also.
                Looks great! You’re going to enjoy flying it, and I bet you’ll be surprised just how fast it is when you lay into it.

Comment

• I did get the 2nd flight - takeoff and landing were uneventful and predictable, even with a full flap landing. Might need the brake kit though.

Comment

• Posting here to reach a more general audience.

My main transmitter is in the shop, but today was such a beautiful day that I drug out my old 2016 vintage birds (and older radio equipment, of course) to get some flying in.

While the radio gear is about 2015/2016, it is FHSS by design.

My question is posed from what I experienced at the flying field today. There is a cell phone tower about 2000 ft west of my flying position (as measured on Google Earth). When I fly west of my ground position, I narrow the distance to about 1,300 ft. One can assume 5G signals are being transmitted. Note: This is the first time I have flown at this location since 5G was turned on.

Twice today when I was west and near the cell tower, I lost control…total no response. The airplane was heading south and in descent from about 400 ft up. Once the airplane got about 100 feet in altitude and further south, control returned. I was able to complete the flight normally. Again, this happened twice and roughly in the same location. So, I decided to stay closer when west of my location and also flew most of the time to the NW, N, and NE of my location for the rest of the afternoon. Staying away from the cell tower prevented any further loss of control events. I flew two different aircraft today, but only one experienced the loss of control event (twice). The other plane…I kept it away from the “bad” area.

Is this a symptom of 5G? Are we going to start seeing loss of control events when flying near cell towers, now? Thoughts/Comments? Have any of you seen this?

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

Looks great! You’re going to enjoy flying it, and I bet you’ll be surprised just how fast it is when you lay into it.
                      While it did slow down, I got 4 minutes 14 seconds with 44% battery remaining. Flew around just 1/2 throttle 2 circuits dirty. 4500 mAh 6S 45C. Flew so nice and at that power it was still pretty quick.
                      I’ll have a hard time getting enough of that fun.

Comment

• Looked really great! Hopefully we can fly some jets on our next pass though.

Count on it! Give me as much lead time as you can and we’ll make a day of it and follow with some steaks or Mexican cuisine!

Comment

• Sounds great!

Comment

• Hi
                            Looking for help I broke the steering arm on the nose leg and on searching Motion Rc site i see they list 2 separate ones

First Freewing Landing Gear Steering Arm Type F

Second Freewing Landing Gear Steering Arm Type A

Anyone know what one fits the T33. Any help much appreciated

Comment

• Originally posted by Styk View Post
                              Hi
                              Looking for help I broke the steering arm on the nose leg and on searching Motion Rc site i see they list 2 separate ones

First Freewing Landing Gear Steering Arm Type F

Second Freewing Landing Gear Steering Arm Type A

Anyone know what one fits the T33. Any help much appreciated
                              I would say NOT the Type F as that one is specific to the 80mm A-10 and F7F, which both have 5.1mm retract pins. The T-33 has 4.1mm pin. Your best bet would be the Type A but you should get Motion customer service to confirm this in case it’s another “Type”.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post

I would say NOT the Type F as that one is specific to the 80mm A-10 and F7F, which both have 5.1mm retract pins. The T-33 has 4.1mm pin. Your best bet would be the Type A but you should get Motion customer service to confirm this in case it’s another “Type”.
                                Many Thanks xviper for your quick reply. Much appreciated Think you're right. I'll try and get them to confirm.

Comment

• I think I've fallen victim to suspect electronics in yet another Freewing product. Since Jan. 1 of this year I've lost two Freewing A-4s and now two Freewing T-33s due to complete loss of control. None of my models have survived "maiden day." To say I'm beyond frustrated is an understatement.

I lost my second T-33 today after about a three minute flight. New receiver, new battery, replaced all the stock servos with new HiTec HS-65HBs (except the nose gear steering servo, that remained stock). Gear down, half flaps, a little more than than half throttle...began a shallow turn from downwind to final and it was as if the controls locked up. The jet did the prettiest right-handed, shallow bank until impact...completely frozen. As soon as I noticed control had been lost I held the transmitter up (Futaba 14SG cleared as "Ops Normal" by Futaba's service center about a month ago...) and I still had blue and red connection lights illuminated. Wiggled both sticks for the remainder of the flight...no response. Went in with the fan supplying power. ESC? BEC?

Been flying RC for more than 20 years now (everything from gliders to EDFs) and I've never had such a high failure rate as I've had with these Freewing jets. They look slick and fly great...but very clearly spec'd as disposables, which is very frustrating. I'm sure a lot of the posters here know people who are on their second or third iteration of a particular airplane. When you ask them what happened to the first model or two you get the shrug and "I don't really know, it just went in" type responses.

I'm irritated beyond belief. When I suspected an electronics issue may have been the cause of my first two A-4 maladies I sent a lengthy email with each aircraft's specs listed and a detailed description of the flight to MotionRC hoping for some insight all I received back was, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Thanks for the explanation but we don't know what it could have been nor do we offer a warranty, sorry about your luck." I expected this, fair enough.

But to have this happen on two further Freewing EDFs makes my blood boil. This hobby is supposed to be fun and (usually) rewarding...not something that makes you scratch your head and feel nervous every time you power an airplane up wondering if it's going to function properly. Is this where we're at with the hobby and these EDF jets? Pedaling junk at $400-$500 a copy? (And don't give me the "Freewing stuff is great, I've never had any problems!" schtick. Their electronics, especially their servos, have been suspect at one time or another in just about every EDF they've released - that has been well documented on these forums...)

Signed, a very frustrated EDF pilot with nothing to show now after almost $2000 worth of EDFs destroyed.

P.S. - Any and all ideas welcome at this point. I suspect the ESC/BEC gave up the ghost but who knows.

Comment

• Just curious. What receivers were you using?

Mike
                                    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Hey MikeT,

I was using a brand new Futaba R2008SB receiver. No telemetry.

Comment

• Originally posted by RobWetterholtJr View Post
                                        Hey MikeT,

I was using a brand new Futaba R2008SB receiver. No telemetry.
                                        Interesting, how about the other 3 aircraft you lost. Just curious.

Mike

\"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• MikeT,

Exact same receivers in all four. All brand new. Both antennas routed externally. One vertically next to the canopy and the other horizontally (on opposite side of fuselage) at about the same height.

Comment

Working...
                                          X