X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T33 lost plane in flight

Sadly today my plane had a crash in a tree due to no control and power in flight.
    Picture is of my telemetry data of crash.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	t33 crash brown out.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	321701
    Picture below is with current and Vfas

Name:	t33 crash brown out current and Vfas.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	321703
    At home I tested ESC and RCVR and they worked.
    I have to mention I have a Frsky X8r as RCVR and also I used an Hobby Eagle A3Pro Gyro in my plane.
    Picture below is my test with 2 times put my XMTR to OFF and last time I removed servo lead from RCVR to simulate no BEC power from ESC.

Name:	t33 crash xmtr to OFF and ESC servo cable out current and Fvas with text.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	321702
    My findings regarding crash and seeing my telemetry data is that I lost my BEC voltage in flight.

Plane is removed from tree and it is reparable luckily, but it will have some battle scars.
    I thought that I have read somewhere issues with this gyro and loosing control.
    I have many flight with this setup but sadly today I have this mishap.

Greetings from The Netherlands Hans

Comment

• Originally posted by timmybeetle View Post
      T33 lost plane in flight

Sadly today my plane had a crash in a tree due to no control and power in flight.
      Picture is of my telemetry data of crash.

Name:	t33 crash brown out.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	321701
      Picture below is with current and Vfas

Name:	t33 crash brown out current and Vfas.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	321703
      At home I tested ESC and RCVR and they worked.
      I have to mention I have a Frsky X8r as RCVR and also I used an Hobby Eagle A3Pro Gyro in my plane.
      Picture below is my test with 2 times put my XMTR to OFF and last time I removed servo lead from RCVR to simulate no BEC power from ESC.

Name:	t33 crash xmtr to OFF and ESC servo cable out current and Fvas with text.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	321702
      My findings regarding crash and seeing my telemetry data is that I lost my BEC voltage in flight.

Plane is removed from tree and it is reparable luckily, but it will have some battle scars.
      I thought that I have read somewhere issues with this gyro and loosing control.
      I have many flight with this setup but sadly today I have this mishap.

Greetings from The Netherlands Hans
      I have stopped using the X8r, it's the only common denominator to losing 4 EDF's totalling 2 grand. I still use the older Frsky receivers no problem.

Comment

• I have one of the x8r recievers, so far I been lucky, no problems. I did make sure to get the latest firmware into it. Mostly I use the s6r and s8r recievers in everything. Just recently began using the new archer series recievers. So far so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post

I have stopped using the X8r, it's the only common denominator to losing 4 EDF's totalling 2 grand. I still use the older Frsky receivers no problem.
          Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
          I have one of the x8r recievers, so far I been lucky, no problems. I did make sure to get the latest firmware into it. Mostly I use the s6r and s8r recievers in everything. Just recently began using the new archer series recievers. So far so good.
          Pilots

I have about 8 of these X8R receivers ( I have EU firmware in it from 2016) and fly with them about 5 ore 6 years never a problem.
          As you can see in my telemetry data problem has to do with loosing power to receiver.
          I will test this receiver in my Tundra test plane, will update when done, probably this afternoon.
          Grts Hans

Comment

• I flew and lost all 4 jets in S. Korea, so don't know if it was a geographical situation, as there is are many competing signals of various strengths all over the country. But as I flew many other receivers during the 4 years I lived there without fail, I'm going to keep blame for the failures squarely placed with the X8r. Not going to use them. Personal preference based solidly on my own experience.

Comment

• Yes indeed, sometimes you have good luck others not so much

Comment

• Test Update RCVR X8R and Gyro Hobby Eagle A3Pro

Today I flew a couple of flights with my Tundra to test X8R RVCR first, no issues, also before first flight did range test and everything was OK.
                Than I installed Gyro and flew also a couple of times, switching between auto level mode and stabilized mode, also no issues at all during my flights.

So tonight I start repairing my T33 and it went quick, I first will fly it and after it will be fine I will start touching it up.
                I was able to test my ESC and motor at home in my garden, no problems so far.
                So next thing I will do is flying my plane but I will install a backup BEC in it , and at home check my telemetry data to see if I had an BEC voltage drop.
                Not I nice feeling to fly it again with this issue.

Grts Hans

Name:	IMG_6991.JPG
Views:	617
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	321815

Name:	IMG_6992.JPG
Views:	623
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	321810

Name:	IMG_6994.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	321812
                Attached Files

Comment

So next thing I will do is flying my plane but I will install a backup BEC in it ,
                  Hans, I do something different and I believe better. In parallel with the stock BEC I add a small 400mah 4.8v NiCd battery. As long as the BEC is putting out 5v the NiCd provides no current to the system. If the BEC fails then the NiCd battery provides power to continue the flight. I just plug the NiCd into an empty port on the Rx before each flight and unplug afterward. If no empty port is available use a Y cable to any servo. This simple system is nearly 100% foolproof.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

In parallel with the stock BEC I add a small 400mah 4.8v NiCd battery. This simple system is nearly 100% foolproof.
                    Hi,
                    Thanks for this advise,Is indeed a simple solution for a fail safe.😉

Regards Hans

Comment

• My T 33 after countless flights is using up the batteries much quicker than before and the batteries are a lot hotter after flying than they used to be. Even the new batteries I purchased are doing the same, I am thinking ESC or fan unit. Any thought would be appreciated

Comment

• Looks like this

Name:	16289618666876956586868121382570.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	321921

Comment

• Flight report

Today flew 4 lipos with my repaired T33.
                          No issues at all, I checked my telemetry data for RCVR voltage A1 and saw no strange behavior today.
                          Plane flew as great as always.
                          My solution for the moment with a second BEC installed gives me a save feeling for the moment flying my T33.

Grts Hans

Name:	IMG_7002.JPG
Views:	666
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	321929
                          Ready for take off

Name:	IMG_7005.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	321930

grts Hans

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisJSparks View Post
                            My T 33 after countless flights is using up the batteries much quicker than before and the batteries are a lot hotter after flying than they used to be. Even the new batteries I purchased are doing the same, I am thinking ESC or fan unit. Any thought would be appreciated
                            Hi

Don't know if you are able to see yours amp draw during flight?
                            Ore at least test this with an power meter on the ground to check this.
                            One option is to clean the fan unit and housing, I do this after 15 ore so flights,
                            see https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...810#post261810 ,
                            I fly from a grass field.

grts Hans

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisJSparks View Post
                              My T 33 after countless flights is using up the batteries much quicker than before and the batteries are a lot hotter after flying than they used to be. Even the new batteries I purchased are doing the same, I am thinking ESC or fan unit. Any thought would be appreciated
                              Check the soldering in ALL the connectors starting with the battery connector, then the ESC connector. I've found that if the soldering is not perfect or if older connectors get aged soldering, things get hotter.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                Check the soldering in ALL the connectors starting with the battery connector, then the ESC connector. I've found that if the soldering is not perfect or if older connectors get aged soldering, things get hotter.
                                Update signal loss in flight with my T33

Yesterday evening flew again with my T33.
                                Using same LIPO as with problem flight, and again I was loosing signal.
                                In flight after a couple of minutes I want to do a low run over the landing strip and giving full power to go up.
                                Suddenly my motor went out but luckily after a second I gained control and was able to fly further motor responding again, and make a save landing.
                                On the ground I gave a couple of full power but it still worked🤥
                                Flew my other LIPO's and had no issues at all.
                                At home I inspected LIPO XT90 connector for soldering , and there I think I found my problem.
                                See quote above.

My solution to put another BEC in my plane connected to XT90 connector from ECS is not the solution when you have a connector problem on yours LIPO.
                                I made for now a 1S lipo 750mah with a diode in the plus line, waiting for my 400mah nicd battery packs to arrive.

Greetings Hans

Comment

• Yes, check those connectors, I would have lost my big Roban 700 Cobra had I not heard sparking on this connector, the red wire is held on with just a tiny drop of solder and it broke loose before the next flight, so I advise those who are using these to cut the heat shrink off and look at it before use, at least add some more solder or throw it away like I did and make your own connector, it would have been Cobra down for sure. Sorry to put this here but I thought it would save someone's pride and joy, if your using one of these.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Cheater hole T33

Pilots

Has anyone closed this cheater hole and flew with it?
                                    I fly from grass and maybe this cheater hole sucks the plane to the ground during take off!
                                    Maybe I will use duck tape and test this next time on the flying field . will see.

Grts Hans

Comment

Cheater hole T33

Pilots

Has anyone closed this cheater hole and flew with it?
                                      I fly from grass and maybe this cheater hole sucks the plane to the ground during take off!
                                      Maybe I will use duck tape and test this next time on the flying field . will see.

Grts Hans
                                      Hans, the T-33 really needs the cheater on the belly or you won't be able to take off from grass.

I've added a mesh screen (the stuff you use at home in your windows to keep out insects) and it keeps your EDF unit clean without loosing too much thrust.

Want some pictures?
                                      https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

• i have always had trouble taking off from short grass here in miss it seems to get up to flying speed with take off flaps but wont lift the nose to fly today we tryed full flaps and finally after a long run it flew the nose came up at about 45 degrees right off the ground but we caught it in time to level it off..ive calabrated the throttle the cg is good useing a 4000ma 6s battery iam thinking about buying another 1920kv motor and see if that is the problem any suggestions? my f86 with same motor and fan has no problems getting off same field

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
                                          i have always had trouble taking off from short grass here in miss it seems to get up to flying speed with take off flaps but wont lift the nose to fly today we tryed full flaps and finally after a long run it flew the nose came up at about 45 degrees right off the ground but we caught it in time to level it off..ive calabrated the throttle the cg is good useing a 4000ma 6s battery iam thinking about buying another 1920kv motor and see if that is the problem any suggestions? my f86 with same motor and fan has no problems getting off same field
                                          Hey Ron. I fly my T-33 off of a nicely paved asphalt runway, and I have noticed that it never just rises from the ground. Always seems to leap into the air suddenly. The results seem similar regardless of the flap setting. I think it’s an angle of attack problem. I tried increasing the length of the front strut, hoping for a smoother transition from the runway. Using an incidence meter, I noted an increase of 2 degrees after I lengthened the strut. Didn’t make a bit of difference. I still believe it’s an AOA problem. This thing really sticks to the runway after touch down on landing. Haven’t had a chance to try anything else, but I may install a set of smaller diameter main wheels, hoping to get that nose up some. I know smaller main wheels are no help if you are trying to get it off of a grass field, but this is all food for thought. Sure flies great!

Comment

Working...
                                          X