First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like good settings...

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post

T-CAT gooniac33 Evan D So I went through the settings on the esc, cut-off was set to soft, cut off voltage was set to medium which I set to low.

Only other question is the timing, it's currently set to medium, is that correct? Again I'm running the 9blade 3748-1750kV, with the Hobby Star 6200 pack I believe Evan said he was getting close to 4 minutes.

​​​​​​​Thanks in advance guys!
      I just noticed something... you said Hobby Star packs... I would do a load test and see if you are not dropping a cell in flight. I haven't had good luck with those packs. The don't puff which is usually an indicator of a problem but they do tend to drop cells under load. I stopped using them as a result. That could make your esc cut off part way through the flight.

Also medium timing works fine with stock outrunners but I usually drop it to low just to save on amp draw. I saw a 9 blade F-104 this weekend and it flew really well! I had mine out for the first time in a while too. Flew it at 2 different places in the same day! All good flights too!
      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

I just noticed something... you said Hobby Star packs... I would do a load test and see if you are not dropping a cell in flight. I haven't had good luck with those packs. The don't puff which is usually an indicator of a problem but they do tend to drop cells under load. I stopped using them as a result. That could make your esc cut off part way through the flight.

Also medium timing works fine with stock outrunners but I usually drop it to low just to save on amp draw. I saw a 9 blade F-104 this weekend and it flew really well! I had mine out for the first time in a while too. Flew it at 2 different places in the same day! All good flights too!
        Yes the first pack was a 6200 Hobby Star, second pack was an Admiral 6000. Both performed the same, the ESC shutdown within seconds of each other. I haven't had any issue with HobbyStar until just recently. I bought three new 6s 5200 and they all puffed on the first run in a T-33. No idea what happened, others I've had for a year and they are perfect.

I did set the cut off voltage to low, so I guess I'll experiment between medium and low timing.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post

Yes the first pack was a 6200 Hobby Star, second pack was an Admiral 6000. Both performed the same, the ESC shutdown within seconds of each other. I haven't had any issue with HobbyStar until just recently. I bought three new 6s 5200 and they all puffed on the first run in a T-33. No idea what happened, others I've had for a year and they are perfect.

I did set the cut off voltage to low, so I guess I'll experiment between medium and low timing.
          I would change one variable only, in this case selecting the Voltage Cutoff to "Low", and keep the Timing at Medium (if that's what the default setting was when you had your issue in flight). In this way, you can then see if that was likely the cause of the problem.

From what you describe as the issue, the timing is likely not as much of a contributing factor, although it could play a role, just not near as likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

I would change one variable only, in this case selecting the Voltage Cutoff to "Low", and keep the Timing at Medium (if that's what the default setting was when you had your issue in flight). In this way, you can then see if that was likely the cause of the problem.

From what you describe as the issue, the timing is likely not as much of a contributing factor, although it could play a role, just not near as likely.
            Definitely going to get some flights in with the cut off voltage set to low. Just to get a solid baseline established.

Comment

• Just finished putting the 90mm F104 together. Everything functioning correctly. Except when plugging in the battery the beeps can hardly be heard. Not loud like my other Freewing EDFs. But I am hearing the six beeps for the 6s 5000 Admiral. I decided to do a long run on the bench to test the system and after about one minute at about 3/4 throttle the the rpms went way down so I shut it off. The ESC was pretty hot. Looking at this jet I dont see a good set up for cooling the ESC. Most Freewing jets have the ESC right in the path of the inlet ducts. Not so with this F104. The fan is way out back and the inlets bypass the ESC. Even with the venting provided for the ESC I dont see much chance for airflow around it. But it must be working well enough since you guys are flying them. Was my shutdown just because of running on the bench without airflow from flying? Hate to put it in the air and have it lose power after a minute. Don't think the 104 is much of a power off glider. Any thoughts?

Comment

• Also wonder where to find written instructions for calibrating and also for ESC/motor set up.

Comment

• The ESC in this has weird programming... They are in a ton of FW 90mm planes with few reported issues. I've had multiples of most of them, two F-104's and no issues. The positioning is odd up against the cheese grater on mine.

Comment

• This is why I don't use gyros :/

Comment

• Explain

Comment

• Evan D gyro was sensitive. I was making corrections on landing and it fought me and over corrected. Was all over the place. By the time I switched it off it hit the nose gear breaking the strut and the retract but saved the whole plane by breaking it at a factory production glue joint. When I repair it I will probably fly without it. I had it off for a few passes and it was great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vextren View Post
                          Evan D gyro was sensitive. I was making corrections on landing and it fought me and over corrected. Was all over the place. By the time I switched it off it hit the nose gear breaking the strut and the retract but saved the whole plane by breaking it at a factory production glue joint. When I repair it I will probably fly without it. I had it off for a few passes and it was great.
                          Can you post a pic up close of your settings on the gyro, maybe we can help out, if its the stock gyro? I never changed mine out to a different gyro but I did get the stock one flying really well.

Comment

• Same here, stock gyro working well. Sorry to hear you had the issues, this plane is hard enough to fly.

Comment

• Mine is a replacement because my factory one had issues. I will send a picture up once I go to my hangar on my lunch break, I would love to have it flying again since it was a great plane!

Comment

• Where are you located?

Comment

• Washington state, at our local field we have the ability to purchase a style of shed. Mine is 10ftx20ft and we can keep out sheds and planes out there. That is where my 104 is at right now. I work just down the road so i will be out there in a few hours.

Comment

• This has the current settings

Comment

• Originally posted by Vextren View Post
                                      This is why I don't use gyros :/
                                      Ouch, major bummer. I removed the stock gyro and installed a AS3X receiver. Still need to fine tune the settings. I'm impressed with the F-104's handling, not a hard airplane to fly overall. I need to fine tune the elevator/flap mix for landings. Hopefully I can get some decent weather this fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwr302 View Post
                                        Just finished putting the 90mm F104 together. Everything functioning correctly. Except when plugging in the battery the beeps can hardly be heard. Not loud like my other Freewing EDFs. But I am hearing the six beeps for the 6s 5000 Admiral. I decided to do a long run on the bench to test the system and after about one minute at about 3/4 throttle the the rpms went way down so I shut it off. The ESC was pretty hot. Looking at this jet I dont see a good set up for cooling the ESC. Most Freewing jets have the ESC right in the path of the inlet ducts. Not so with this F104. The fan is way out back and the inlets bypass the ESC. Even with the venting provided for the ESC I dont see much chance for airflow around it. But it must be working well enough since you guys are flying them. Was my shutdown just because of running on the bench without airflow from flying? Hate to put it in the air and have it lose power after a minute. Don't think the 104 is much of a power off glider. Any thoughts?
                                        Best way to check the ESC is to buy the programming card. I had issues on my first two flights that was winding down the fan at about 2:30 with plenty of voltage in the battery. I was able to change the voltage setting to low and the issue was resolved.

F-104 as a power off glider? As an avid sailplane flier since the late 70's I can tell you the F-104 has just about zero glide ratio. My first two flights were deadstick and I made it both times without any damage, pure luck. The first time I was fairly high up approaching the runway, I thought I was going to be way long.....I barely made the runway! In fact, I barely had enough time to get the wheels down. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwr302 View Post
                                          Just finished putting the 90mm F104 together. Everything functioning correctly. Except when plugging in the battery the beeps can hardly be heard. Not loud like my other Freewing EDFs. But I am hearing the six beeps for the 6s 5000 Admiral. I decided to do a long run on the bench to test the system and after about one minute at about 3/4 throttle the the rpms went way down so I shut it off. The ESC was pretty hot. Looking at this jet I dont see a good set up for cooling the ESC. Most Freewing jets have the ESC right in the path of the inlet ducts. Not so with this F104. The fan is way out back and the inlets bypass the ESC. Even with the venting provided for the ESC I dont see much chance for airflow around it. But it must be working well enough since you guys are flying them. Was my shutdown just because of running on the bench without airflow from flying? Hate to put it in the air and have it lose power after a minute. Don't think the 104 is much of a power off glider. Any thoughts?
                                          F-104 and glide.... never use those words together!! LOL

This plane requires constant attention and throttle control. Especially when landing. Its basically flying it to the ground! If you do end up having to let the plane glide it should be like a dive and no flaps! But check that ESC and make sure that you have it in a way where it can get some air. I am using the stock esc in mine with no issues for the last couple years that I have had it. Also keep in mind that partial throttle with medium timing could cause it to over heat. You may want to switch it to LOW
                                          Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                          I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Working...
                                          X