Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put the 9b 3748-1750kV in mine. Small increase in A & W but noticable increase in performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post
      Has anyone installed the 90mm 12-Blade EDF 6S Power System w/ 4068-1835kV in the F-104?
      I have tried using other inrunners and it wasn't good. Way too tail heavy. So if you are going to change it it should either be a freewing stock fan or the fms fan which is lighter than them all. What I think would be really good in this plane is the new 1650kv outrunner which is what I think it may come with stock now. The stock motors make it right at the aft CG and that makes is really picky to fly. My plane is much better now with the FMS since it is lighter and shifts the CG forward and also increases thrust. I know I sound like a broken record but its been the best upgrade for the plane. Better flight times, better cruise, better climb and higher top speed.
      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

I have tried using other inrunners and it wasn't good. Way too tail heavy. So if you are going to change it it should either be a freewing stock fan or the fms fan which is lighter than them all. What I think would be really good in this plane is the new 1650kv outrunner which is what I think it may come with stock now. The stock motors make it right at the aft CG and that makes is really picky to fly. My plane is much better now with the FMS since it is lighter and shifts the CG forward and also increases thrust. I know I sound like a broken record but its been the best upgrade for the plane. Better flight times, better cruise, better climb and higher top speed.
        Gooniac, is this the part number you're talking about for the FMS unit?

FMMDF002
        https://www.fmsmodel.com/product/fms...1900-motor/42/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

Thanks for the info Goon,

I might have to try the stock 1650kv outrunner although I wasn’t really impressed with that setup. Evan has a good idea, and if he likes it that says a lot.

The 12-Blade EDF 6S Power System w/ 4068-1835kV is roughly 4oz heavier compared to stock or the setup that Evan is running. I’ll have to see if I can get it to balance or choose a different set up.

Comment

• Disregard...

Comment

Has anyone installed the 90mm 12-Blade EDF 6S Power System w/ 4068-1835kV in the F-104?
              You know, before I sold my 104 I was going to do that, but after I flew mine stock and seen how the CG is, I decided not to because that would put it even more tail heavy as it is, so you will have to add some nose weight or some how get the battery more up front, canopy is in the way to do that so I am not sure if it is even worth the trouble, if you do try it, let us know how it flew, always wondered myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

You know, before I sold my 104 I was going to do that, but after I flew mine stock and seen how the CG is, I decided not to because that would put it even more tail heavy as it is, so you will have to add some nose weight or some how get the battery more up front, canopy is in the way to do that so I am not sure if it is even worth the trouble, if you do try it, let us know how it flew, always wondered myself.
                I figured I would try it, if it doesn’t work I’ll throw it in a F-15. 😀

Comment

I figured I would try it, if it doesn’t work I’ll throw it in a F-15. 😀
                  Did that too, works great in the F-15.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Did that too, works great in the F-15.
                    That’s good to hear. What did you end up running in your F-104?

Comment

That’s good to hear. What did you end up running in your F-104?
                      I just stayed with the stock setup, I thought is was just fine myself, flight times are not the best but after many many flights, I finally sold it, very exciting jet to fly for sure and to grease 4 out of 5 landings, I was happy with that.

Comment

• After playing with it a couple of days, the 4068-1835kV is close but not going to work. Some additional mods like removing he speed brakes and some work in the nose to get the battery further forward might be the extra it needs to work. Maybe next winter I will play with that motor set up.

For now, I like Evan D recommendation of the 9blade 3748-1750kV. I have one in stock so that helps as well. Evan what battery are you running and what's your run time?

Thanks

Comment

• My notes say 6200 (822g) and the timer in my radio is for 4:00. I've also flown a couple 8000 (920g) packs I have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                            My notes say 6200 (822g) and the timer in my radio is for 4:00. I've also flown a couple 8000 (920g) packs I have.
                            Thanks Evan!

Comment

• First post, and I apologize if this is in the thread and I missed it. I did search. My new 90mm F-104 has two flights on it. The landings were nerve racking but fairly smooth. This is my 3rd Freewing jet I have an Avanti and a ME-262.

Now my F-104 nose gear doors won't close all the way because the wheel interferes with them. One door typically stays about 50% open when they close. It looks like the nose gear strut is supposed to turn while retracting or the doors would not have clearance. I didn't pay enough attention when they were working to see how it is supposed to work. As far as I can see nothing appears damaged and the nose gear steering works fine. I think I may need a new retract unit and/or strut.

If anybody has any insight into how it's supposed to work or possibly a video I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Comment

• Tom1980 Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Tom. The nose gear doors should fully close. Did they fully close properly before your maiden flights?

Try adjusting the doors' control arms' lengths, or move the clevis to a different hole on the doors' control arm.

If your nose strut itself was bent rearward during landing, which would cause it to be lower when retracted and possibly interfere with the doors closing, try bending the strut back to its original position.

I hope this helps!
                                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Alpha Thanks for your reply. I'll take a picture when I get home. The wheel diameter is larger than the space between the wood base plate and the gear doors. They did work fine before the flights so I'm sure I tweaked something. I could be wrong but it sure looks like the wheel needs to turn to one side or the other as it retracts or there would never be enough vertical clearance between the wood base plate to the gear doors when they are in the closed position. My Avanti nosewheel turns a little as it retracts. I have dozens of less than perfect landings on that jet and the gear still works well.

Comment

• Ok I figured out my nose gear issue which now seems so obvious with the benefit of hindsight. Alpha was right. It wasn't bent but the shock absorber was hung up and wasn't extending all the way. Once it extended everything worked properly. It does seem to hang up almost every time it is compressed so I greased it but it didn't improve much. As long as it doesn't happen on the take off roll I should be good.

I flew it twice yesterday and felt less intimidated than the first two flights. I managed my first smooth high alpha landing.

Comment

• Trying to manage all of these wires and find the best place for the receiver. I’m thinking the receiver my work out on that shelf towards the top of the fuse.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Trying to manage all of these wires and find the best place for the receiver. I’m thinking the receiver my work out on that shelf towards the top of the fuse.
                                        That's where mine ended up. I took out the stock gyro and installed an Eagle A3 next to the nose wheel steering servo because it wouldn't fit all the way up front. The plane balances this way with the battery as far forward as it will go. I would try to leave some space around the circuit board I noticed mine was fairly warm after bench testing the plane for a few minutes. And make sure you don't touch the circuit board with any stray metal objects like a screwdriver it could easily short out. I made a paper cover for my board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom1980 View Post

That's where mine ended up. I took out the stock gyro and installed an Eagle A3 next to the nose wheel steering servo because it wouldn't fit all the way up front. The plane balances this way with the battery as far forward as it will go. I would try to leave some space around the circuit board I noticed mine was fairly warm after bench testing the plane for a few minutes. And make sure you don't touch the circuit board with any stray metal objects like a screwdriver it could easily short out. I made a paper cover for my board.
                                          I took out the gyro as well since I will be using 9 channel AS3X. I'll bypass the board as much as I can.

Comment

Working...
                                          X