Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got me another one, sold my first one after a battle with trying to land with no gyro, never hooked it up so I never knew how much the gyro helped this plane, it is so easy to land now, haven't tried it in the wind, heard it can be a handful with the rocking. Maiden flight went great and ten flights total early this morning. Time to put the decals on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyhound61 View Post
      Pilots, finally maidened my F-104 this weekend. Stock except FMS 90mm EDF, FMS Predator 130A ESC, JP wheel brakes and 2 Nerf Whistles. Was quite nervous but everything went well. My initial adevise, fly it in wide turns and keep speed up especially with flaps deployed. Landing flaps set at about 20 degrees. I am happy to be member of the F-104 family now!
      Welcome to the club!! You for sure took the easier route with the FMS fan! The plane is so much better with that fan! I am loving mine! I got some flights this weekend as well... I was pushing it pretty hard and it didn't bite me this time! here they are...

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Has anybody flown this with the two extra ventral fins removed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stu C. View Post
          Has anybody flown this with the two extra ventral fins removed?
          Yep, when I first put mine together I left all of them off for the first few flights, then I put them on to see if I would notice anything different while flying, I didn't notice anything different in flying, it does look better with them on so I left mine mounted.

Comment

• I got this a while back and just never really did anything with it so while the weather is bad I decided to spruce it up a little by removing some dead weight and putting a 6S F-4 9 blade setup in it...oh and some paint and Callie graphics:Cool:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180105_214328636_iOS.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	173044

Name:	20190107_140537411_iOS.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	173050

Name:	20190109_182852747_iOS.jpg
Views:	1238
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	173049

Name:	20190110_211313238_iOS.jpg
Views:	1211
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	173045

Name:	20190110_231842955_iOS.jpg
Views:	1399
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	173047

Name:	20190115_234544455_iOS.jpg
Views:	1286
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	173048

Name:	20190116_152531082_iOS.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	173046

Name:	20190118_202705091_iOS.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	173052

Name:	20190119_020758353_iOS.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	173051

Name:	20190119_023949635_iOS.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	173055

Name:	20190119_023941645_iOS.jpg
Views:	1304
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	173054

Name:	20190119_024155953_iOS.jpg
Views:	1205
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	173053
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• TI, that looks super cool. This jet is now on my short list. Have you flown it, or had any exposure to them?

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                I got this a while back and just never really did anything with it so while the weather is bad I decided to spruce it up a little by removing some dead weight and putting a 6S F-4 9 blade setup in it...oh and some paint and Callie graphics:Cool:
                I use the airbrakes in mine!!! They have saves my hieny many times! Plane does look amazing though! Any flight footage yet?

I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                  I use the airbrakes in mine!!! They have saves my hieny many times! Plane does look amazing though! Any flight footage yet?
                  Now yet, waiting on weather and camera man ;)
                  TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                    Hey Gooniac, tell me more! I just haven't had the guts to try the airbrakes in the air - and usually I am so busy with all the workload during landing this thing that I simply forget to use them.
                    Please tell us all about how the model reacts when you deploy - do you have to use a ton of throttle to keep flying, do they affect the pitch at all? Does it make the model slow down really well?
                    I think I saw a comment somewhere here that using the airbrakes in the air would make the model fall out of the sky like a shot duck. So I am very curious to know more about your experience.

Or do you deploy them right at touchdown to decrease the rollout?
                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey Gooniac, tell me more! I just haven't had the guts to try the airbrakes in the air - and usually I am so busy with all the workload during landing this thing that I simply forget to use them.
                      Please tell us all about how the model reacts when you deploy - do you have to use a ton of throttle to keep flying, do they affect the pitch at all? Does it make the model slow down really well?
                      I think I saw a comment somewhere here that using the airbrakes in the air would make the model fall out of the sky like a shot duck. So I am very curious to know more about your experience.

Or do you deploy them right at touchdown to decrease the rollout?
                      I flew it again on Monday... CG is about 3/4 of an inch ahead of the forward wing mounting screw which is more towards the middle of the CG range which is actually where the CG mark should be made. If you look on page 14 of the manual you see how they show a CG range. I hate it when most of the time they say that the rear of the range is the CG when it really is not. The plane is borderline unflyable at that mark. Yes it can be done but there is no margin for error at all and you can not flare when you come in to land! It ends up doing the death bounce and killing itself. So now I fly ahead of the screw and the plane is oh so much more fun to fly! Especially when landing!! I don't encourage flaring this model since it really doesn't like it... but when you have the CG at this point, once the wheels touch down you can hold full up and deploy the speed brakes without worrying about it lifting off again. I have even hit the brakes when it was still in the air to get it to come down sooner and it didn't have any ill effects on the way it was flying aside from making it sink. With the recommended CG the brakes make the plane pitch up.

Here are my flights from monday and yes I used the brakes on these flights too

Comment

• Here are a couple videos from before that were a mix of my flying with other planes but has the F-104 in there as well.

Comment

• Has anybody had issues with the undercarriage not cycling correctly? I have tried all configurations with the wiring and just don't seem to be able to get the correct sequence going. Is there a set order to plug the servo leads into the board? I have replaced the board and it didn't achieve anything, still the same issue. Any thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by M1110 View Post
                            Has anybody had issues with the undercarriage not cycling correctly? I have tried all configurations with the wiring and just don't seem to be able to get the correct sequence going. Is there a set order to plug the servo leads into the board? I have replaced the board and it didn't achieve anything, still the same issue. Any thoughts?
                            We'd need more detail as to what isn't working correctly.

I test my retract systems with the struts removed to prevent wiping out the gear doors.
                            Then If gear doors are on separate servos, I use a servo tester to open the doors and leave them unplugged while getting the mains and nose-gear to operate correctly.
                            Then I plug a separate servo (not installed) in to check timing of the gear doors vs the gear. (this desn't verify the doors are moving the correct direction...)
                            Unplug The retract with it up, and plug in the door and test that the door servo direction is correct (nothing quite like closing the door then dropping the gear)

Once all sequencing and direction issues are sorted out, THEN operate the gear and doors (still no struts) and verify its all timed right.

Then its time to put the struts back on.
                            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Yo Huber... On the F104 the gear and doors all plug into a control board and there is only one connection to the receiver. So checking everything first is a good idea, but I don't see that there is any way to "sort out sequencing and direction issues" - the user has no control over that, its all done by the control board. If the nose gear is operating in reverse from main gear, wouldn't the board be at fault? I don't know what else it could be.
                              Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Don't know if you have any additional timing settings set up but I think I read a couple years ago that unless you have things cooked up to receiver directly, make sure you don't have any additional timing settings in your transmitter. Let the board do all the timing/sequencing otherwise they can conflict. May check to make sure?

Comment

• I scaled up a 70mm F-104 to replace the stock one on my 90mm TM ;)

I removed the led ring and will use a RCGeek center afterburner.

Name:	20190223_210912109_iOS.jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	181201

Name:	20190224_193504329_iOS.jpg
Views:	1118
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	181200

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• That looks really good!! I have my own unit that I will be adding to my FMS powered F-104. I may actually get started on it this weekend...

Comment

• Originally posted by xplaneguy View Post
                                      Here a flight in the wind with my Yellow 90mm F-104....love this jet and you will too! )
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB_qgXP3UTM
                                      Damn, those trees sure have gotten a lot taller since I learned to fly at Apollo in the early '80s.

Comment

• Hey guys going crazy trying to find correct CG.
                                        My setup is FMS Edf and predator esc 130 amp. I will use Turnigy Heavy duty 60c 5000 mah on this bird. Any major info and pictures about correct cg location and battery placement with this setup? It will be a good point of start...

Comment

• CG is talked about a lot in this thread. Different motors or batteries does not change where you should balance your plane.

Comment

Working...
                                          X