X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sonny T View Post
    I admit I absolutely love this plane and want one soooo bad, but (a newbie question) why is it so inefficient? 4-5 minutes flight time with duo 6s-5000mah packs? This is the only thing holding me back from buying one.
    Remember that the plane has two fans, and it takes one battery per fan. Actually, 5 minutes flight time on a plane this big and this heavy with such a draggy airframe - especially with the weapons installed - is actually pretty fantastic. Don't let that be what stops you from buying it.

When you say "newbie", do you mean newbie to flying in general or newbie to jets? I'm asking because while the A-10 is relatively easy to fly, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Please don't be offended; I just don't want to see you (or anyone else) drop $600 and have problems due to lack of experience.

Comment

• Just a newbie to The Squawk, and to jets. Been flying for about 4 years. Have a half a dozen planes (FMS1700mm P51, 1500mm P47, 1.2m P51, 1.2m Spitfire, Timber, Opterra, Cub S2), and several E gliders, from Radians, Mystique, Gracia, and the snail Radian Xl. Its just a tough decision between the A-10 or waiting for the FMS F7F 1700mm with its much longer flight times.

Comment

I admit I absolutely love this plane and want one soooo bad, but (a newbie question) why is it so inefficient? 4-5 minutes flight time with duo 6s-5000mah packs? This is the only thing holding me back from buying one.
        Everything Pete Lane said ;)
        Just for basic clarity.........With todays tech on LiPo's and EDF's, 4 minutes is standard and 5 is just wonderful.
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• 4-5 minutes is pretty good in the edf world. The main reason is the motor fan combos are amp hogs.
          Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
          Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
          I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Just a newbie to The Squawk, and to jets. Been flying for about 4 years. Have a half a dozen planes (FMS1700mm P51, 1500mm P47, 1.2m P51, 1.2m Spitfire, Timber, Opterra, Cub S2), and several E gliders, from Radians, Mystique, Gracia, and the snail Radian Xl. Its just a tough decision between the A-10 or waiting for the FMS F7F 1700mm with its much longer flight times.
            My long term infatuation with all my prop warbirds is just one perspective of the thrills but in order to experience the rush of a true legend you just got to suck up the shorter flight times of the present EDF tech.;)
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I think I've solved the bouncing on grass runways, it seemed to me that the suspension on the mains was too soft for grass so I trimmed the spring and now it settles right it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170624_140555198_iOS.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	82698
              TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Shweet !

Love the R and D.

Thanks for the tip.

Plane

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                  I think I've solved the bouncing on grass runways, it seemed to me that the suspension on the mains was too soft for grass so I trimmed the spring and now it settles right it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170624_140555198_iOS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	160.7 KB ID:	82698
                  Wouldn't trimming off some spring make it softer yet??? Or am I thinking backwards again...

Comment

• Three more flights on mine this morning, so it's now fly-in legal with 6 total. Seems like my landings are getting better with each flight as the 2nd and 3rd today were true grease jobs. :Cool: Best model EDF from Motion and Freewing to date. :a10
                    My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                      Awesome Tom! Helps to have a great wingman like Anthony! I hope to finally maiden mine in Sunday afternoon at the 114th. Grass field ops. Wind supposed to be 8 to 10 right down the runway.

Cheers,

Dave
                      Thanks Dave! Yes, having Anthony nearby is always comforting during a maiden flight. He has been a great teacher and friend. I'd love to see your maiden tomorrow but have committed plans for the day. Good luck!

Comment

• I started the masking work for the Arctic Thunder livery. Black camo first. Boy this better be worth it. LOL

Name:	paint.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	82706
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Ready to rain "blue death" down from above! Painted the bombs to represent inert practice bombs and painted the Maverick to reflect a captive training round.

I wanted to add a little splash of color to this subdued scheme. I also plan on making the old ALQ-119 Pod to add to one of the outboard stations. That will also be painted white and should really help with orientation while flying.

Comment

• Nice! Looking sharp.
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Maiden was awesome, what a great flying plane. All settings per the manual, new Admiral 5000 batteries placed at location Lon posted on page 216 post 4311 (thanks Lon). 10 mph winds right down the stripe. 1/2 flaps, 1/2 throttle, rollout started, more throttle, airborne. Gear up, flaps up and full throttle climb out. 4 clicks up, two clicks left aileron and its on rails. Made one or two passes down the field to settle the nerves, and proceeded to wring it out hard to see what it has, it has plenty, giant scorching loops, very tossable, hard banking ground attack runs, flies real light on the wing. Stayed in high rates the whole flight. Ready to set up to give the field a slow, down and dirty pass, great slow control, Set up for landing, 1/2 flaps, gear down, drug it in slow with some power, nose high, touched down on the mains, released some back pressure on the stick, nose settled down. Picture perfect, what a winner. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	82720

Comment

• Congrats on the maiden Kurtzz! Always like to here another one gone well. :Cool:

Aros, It's alot of real estate to mask off, but yeah, it's worth it. Good luck. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kurtzz View Post
                                  Maiden was awesome, what a great flying plane. All settings per the manual, new Admiral 5000 batteries placed at location Lon posted on page 216 post 4311 (thanks Lon). 10 mph winds right down the stripe. 1/2 flaps, 1/2 throttle, rollout started, more throttle, airborne. Gear up, flaps up and full throttle climb out. 4 clicks up, two clicks left aileron and its on rails. Made one or two passes down the field to settle the nerves, and proceeded to wring it out hard to see what it has, it has plenty, giant scorching loops, very tossable, hard banking ground attack runs, flies real light on the wing. Stayed in high rates the whole flight. Ready to set up to give the field a slow, down and dirty pass, great slow control, Set up for landing, 1/2 flaps, gear down, drug it in slow with some power, nose high, touched down on the mains, released some back pressure on the stick, nose settled down. Picture perfect, what a winner. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	82720
                                  Kurtzz, good to hear your maiden went well...but MAN, that grass you're standing on looks AWESOME! Is that real grass, or turf? That would be a gem to land on!

Again, huge grats!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                    I started the masking work for the Arctic Thunder livery. Black camo first. Boy this better be worth it. LOL

Name:	paint.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	82706
                                    I've never done any painting on planes before, but I'd like to do something with this one too. Thanks for posting your masking pic. Gives me an idea of what it should like. Wish me luck, whenever I get bold enough to try it on this one. I'm excited but nervous, at the same time! :Cool::Scared:

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                      Awesome Tom! Helps to have a great wingman like Anthony! I hope to finally maiden mine in Sunday afternoon at the 114th. Grass field ops. Wind supposed to be 8 to 10 right down the runway.

Cheers,

Dave
                                      Dave, what time are heading to the field tomorrow? May join you on your maiden if possible.

Comment

• HELP!!! I have no idea wyt I can't get the ESC's to respond to the bind when using my AR9350 rx. Any ideas? Check out the video please. I've lowered the throttle trim all the way down. I've reversed the throttle to see if that was it. Nothing seems to work.

it says that the bind is complete, yet the plane doesn't respond.

It it has to be something I haven't thought of. My AR6210 binds just fine, but not the AR9350. Horizon says it has to be something in the ESC settings that aren't working with the rx.

Yes, I know I could just use the 6 channel rx, but that doesn't solve my issue with this rx. I'd like to add sound as well as have the option to do other things.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Comment

• Today at my flying clubs 13 annual event called Airplanes of the World we had three of the first run A-10s out there. We had sunshine but 16-25 mph winds but we did get one flight with all three up at the same time. I was trying to eat my burger as I was MC this event but the squadron called. The birds handled the wind very well. Two of us had rough landing mine was fine. I did notice the drag on the plane as I had the ordinance on the plane. Not sure I like drag as I enjoyed it without.

Overall a a good day for hawgs.

Comment

Working...
                                          X