Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• None of mine are damaged and I fly em handle them.now they only have a few flights on em,I have some like I fly p51 p38 gets most use.just remember there not balsa they last longer.

Comment

• I have a question. How is the LiPo 6s power supply configured in the A-10 model (2x80mmEDF). If one of the batteries stops working, will one EDF turbine and some servos stop working, or will the second battery take over the power supply for everything?​

Comment

• Only one BEC , so it's 50/50. If that one craps out it's over since you will have no power to the receiver. I've been flying this one since day 1 and never had a issue but I do keep eye on my battery packs.

Mike

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	394892
        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• "stops working" as in totally fails yes, if it's the battery that supplies the BEC you are done but there is little chance of that. Most likely is you will run the battery down to the point the fans stop turning but you'll still have enough to power the BEC and hopefully can make an emergency landing.

Comment

• Stops working to me means "craps out" all together.

Mike

Comment

• RAFALR30 I think you can jumper the esc's and then connect the batteries in parallel.

Comment

• Hi,

I am speculating that Freewing is permanently offering a version with better power setup.
                1. Has anybody tested the new "limited edition" 3658 1857 kv power setup vs. the classic 3035 outrunner setup? How is it in terms of power and efficiency?
                2. I am personally hoping for the new Freewing 3658 2150 kv 80mm EDF's in future A-10 models. I am thinking about getting an ARF version and putting in these EDF's in --> does anybody know if it is a drop-in fit, or if there is some foam surgery to be done?

Br, spcboarder

Comment

• Been my experience that the set up it comes with is just fine. To each their own.

Mike

Comment

• spcboarder, I have had mine since the first pre-order and as I recall there was a 90mm option using different nacelle parts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you will check out Page 1 Post #15, (click below for pg 1), Tom clearly states that there is a 90mm option kit available at that time.

My point is if that is still an option, then try that; however, I concur with the majority opinion here, the OEM 80mm set up is simply awesome.

Best, LB
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• There are some reports of the limited time upgrade 80 and the reports said it was a good upgrade. All of FW's 80's have the same dimensions for fit so the 2150 should be a drop in. I have heard some going from outrunner to inrunner may need longer ESC to motor wires so that may be an issue. Also the 2150 pulls way over 100A (127A) on full throttle with a fresh battery so upgraded ESCs may be a good idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                        There are some reports of the limited time upgrade 80 and the reports said it was a good upgrade. All of FW's 80's have the same dimensions for fit so the 2150 should be a drop in. I have heard some going from outrunner to inrunner may need longer ESC to motor wires so that may be an issue. Also the 2150 pulls way over 100A (127A) on full throttle with a fresh battery so upgraded ESCs may be a good idea.
                        I swapped out the original A-10's 3530-1900 kv outrunners with the original fans from my Mig 29, the 9 blade 3658-1920 Kv inrunners, when I upgraded the Mig fans to the FMS 12 blade 3280-2100Kv inrunners. Drop in fit for the A-10 (not for the Mig though) and I did not need longer ESC wires. The Mig fans on the bench only pulled 105 A so I did not change the ESC's. But I think you are correct that if the 2150 is pulling 127 A, you may need to upgrade the ESC's. I will say the A-10 flew outstanding with the Mig fans and got off grass much quicker. Now the FMS fans in the Mig pulled 125.4A on the bench (SMC packs) and the ESC's are only rated to 100 A but I've yet to have a problem with that, so maybe one should "listen to what I say, not what I do."
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• The 2150kv FW fans do drop straight in with no other mods. I seldom use full throttle with this,even on take off from grass so opted to keep the stock esc. Flying the same speed and style, you'll enjoy a considerable increase in duration. Using SMC 5900's @ 4.35V I'm getting 7mins + with plenty left in the tank. I used to use 4400mah packs but with the added motor weight, couldn't get the weight forward enough to hit my 10mm aft of stock CG.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bbanks140
                            This is awesome gotta increase my savings plan!
                            Yeah me too, I just picked an A-10 myself and need to start a savings plan for the upgrades..

Comment

• Riddle me this batman, why, since Freewing makes like a gazillion aircraft, why are there no flight profile files you can download on Spectrum's site (or anywhere else for that matter) so you don't have to go through the tedious process of making one? Would be soooo nice to just import the file into my transmitter and skip the hours of setting up a new aircraft...maybe fly instead?!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by JPD View Post
                                Riddle me this batman, why, since Freewing makes like a gazillion aircraft, why are there no flight profile files you can download on Spectrum's site (or anywhere else for that matter) so you don't have to go through the tedious process of making one? Would be soooo nice to just import the file into my transmitter and skip the hours of setting up a new aircraft...maybe fly instead?!?!
                                Because they aren't just designed for Spektrum.. How many radio setups would you want to include per model? Spektrum, Futaba, Jeti, Radiomaster, FrSky, JR, ect? That would be an incredible amount of work. And some of those have different file formats within each brand. Since Horizon does BNF models for their own radios, it makes sense for them, but makes little to no sense for other companies.

Comment

Riddle me this batman, why, since Freewing makes like a gazillion aircraft, why are there no flight profile files you can download on Spectrum's site (or anywhere else for that matter) so you don't have to go through the tedious process of making one? Would be soooo nice to just import the file into my transmitter and skip the hours of setting up a new aircraft...maybe fly instead?!?!
                                  Plug and Play. There are several choices of radios out there. "Hours of setting up" ? Just what are you doing?

Mike

Comment

JPD, welcome to Hobby Squawk.

F-106 is spot on; however, this model had been around for sometime now: I'd wager if you 'ask' a general question in this forum about 'who' might have a Spectrum flight profile, someone would post one to you.

We are pretty generous around here if asked a question.

Just sayin'.

Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Does anybody out there have a Spectrum (DX8e) flight profile for the Freewing A-10 80mm EDF they'd be willing to share. The jet is on its way along with some 80mm X-Fly motors/12 blade EDF, paired with Spectrum/Avian 100 amp ESC's and a Spectrum AR8360T receiver. I'd like to get a starting point for AS3X/SAFE mode settings in the flight profile if I could based on real world experience...I've peeked at the manual and it seems fairly comprehensive insofar as throws/deflection for empennages, but I've had to start from scratch on a few other models after finding the flight envelopes didn't even come close to working. Anyhow...would love a Spectrum flight profile for this thing...

Comment

Does anybody out there have a Spectrum (DX8e) flight profile for the Freewing A-10 80mm EDF they'd be willing to share. The jet is on its way along with some 80mm X-Fly motors/12 blade EDF, paired with Spectrum/Avian 100 amp ESC's and a Spectrum AR8360T receiver. I'd like to get a starting point for AS3X/SAFE mode settings in the flight profile if I could based on real world experience...I've peeked at the manual and it seems fairly comprehensive insofar as throws/deflection for empennages, but I've had to start from scratch on a few other models after finding the flight envelopes didn't even come close to working. Anyhow...would love a Spectrum flight profile for this thing...
                                        I'm using an AR 637T RX and an IX 14 TX so I don't want to send you my programming files as there may be some differences between the 2 transmitters which could cause more harm than good.

With that said, I can give you a few starting points I like, but everyone has their own personal preferences, but keep in mind that I never program in SAFE as I really don't like the way an aircraft flies with it and it makes me feel that I am not in complete control of it's orientation. I have my FM for gains set to my switch C (AUX2) with flying gains at 50/55/60 (I know that sounds high but works for me and I can dial the gains down in flight anytime with my right knob as my gain switch-but never had to), take-off gains at 60/70/80 and landing gains at 70/80/90 with all priorities at 160.

Flaps at take off are deflecting 29 mm with 2% up elevator compensation, while landing flaps are at 50 mm deflection with 4% elevator comp. 3 different D/R & Expos tied to a 3 position switch, ailerons for low/mid/high at 60%/72%/85% deflecting 30mm/36mm/42mm (this will depend on which holes you use in the control horn and your TX), Elevator 85%/100%110% which is 30mm/34mm/36mm, and Rudder at 70%/75%/80% giving 21mm/27mm/29mm. Expo at whatever your personal preference is but I like it relatively high at 20-30%.

Main recommendation I have is not to fly it at the manual 78mm. Way too nose heavy making landings more difficult that could result in a nose first touch and the "dreaded" Bucking Bronco". I have mine balanced at 92-94mm, which results in extremely easy flying and landing. Don't forget that the jet wash goes directly over the elevators, so if you have it too nose heavy, hence more up elevator trim, the throttle position will affect the attitude much more than with other aircraft causing it to climb at high throttle, and drop at low throttle. At 94mm, once trimmed it will maintain the same attitude no matter what your throttle position is. I'm flying mine on 2 of the new SMC HiV 5900's, each weighing 740gr and have the batteries in line (not stacked on each other) as I removed the circuit board in the back, stuck it to the port side of the fuse, and can position both batteries far enough back to get my desired CG. I'm sure the Avian ESC will also handle HiV batteries if you're so inclined. Flight times are 6-7 minutes and I earlier replaced the old standard 80mm outrunner fans with inrunner fans from my Mig when I upgraded those.

In my option, this is definitely one of the best flying EDF's in my arsenal, takes off smooth, flies exceptionally well, cruises much slower than you'd think and lands like a trainer. You will not be disappointed. Looks Bad A.. in the air as well!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201008_174315.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	396090 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200907_123621 (2).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	396091 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220205-WA0002.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	396092

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Awesome, detailed, comprehensive, well thought out and comprehensively explained. I can't thank you enough for taking the time and effort! Thanks Hugh! And nice bad a** looking aircraft!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X