Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Anyone else chompin' at the bit for the FW 90mm SUPER SCALE F-16?

In case anyone else missed the pre-order on the PNP Super Scale F-16 like me, they're showing as in stock on the Motion website. Better get 'em before they're gone! Got mine on the way. Can't wait to get this plane in the air!

Comment

I just got mine today.  The build was incredibly easy and intuitive.  I can honestly say this was the very first build that I didn't curse or get frustrated with a part or piece or mechanism that wasn't being very friendly...Very minimal CA needed, just for a couple cosmetic pieces.  The rest of the parts screwed together.  I've built a lot of PNP/ARF planes and jets over the years and this F-16 is a true reality check for the level of scale fidelity and amenities that would have never been seen in foam just a few years ago.  By far the largest and nicest F-16 I've ever owned and it's not even close.

The sequencer board makes plugging in the leads to your receiver as easy as it gets.  The routing, the board is already all plugged in from the factory.  All you have to do is plug the leads directly into the receiver and that's it!  The gear is truly incredible.  Looks like something you would expect from a Top Gun entry, not an EPO foamie.

I took some photos but I didn't finish the build until it got dark out.  I still had to taxi test and check out the sweet LEDs at night!  Sorry for the terrible quality...My cell phone takes horrible night shots.  I'll take much better day shots tomorrow.  The maiden is this Saturday.  Weather looks perfect!
      Attached Files
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Here's some day photos...Took her out for some good taxi tests and cycling the gear several times.  Everything looks good and ready for the maiden!

I have the CG at 4.75" which is around the middle of the +/- recommended.  Throws, rates and expo ready.  I went with the recommended throws/rates for elevator but was more conservative on the rudder and ailerons.  Expo set at 30% for aileron/elevator.   Tracks great on the ground.  If these gear had to get in a fist fight with any other gear from the foam class it would win every time.  

:D

Maiden is going to have to wait.  Sports are gearing up at the school I fly at.  Will shoot for an early morning Saturday maiden.

Attached Files
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Aros -
          Am envious on two counts. Nice looking bird and where the heck is that nice looking weather with green grass and trees in flower. I've got 3 feet of snow in my front yard here in upstate NY - AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGG.
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC
            I just got mine today.  The build was incredibly easy and intuitive.  I can honestly say this was the very first build that I didn't curse or get frustrated with a part or piece or mechanism that wasn't being very friendly...Very minimal CA needed, just for a couple cosmetic pieces.  The rest of the parts screwed together.  I've built a lot of PNP/ARF planes and jets over the years and this F-16 is a true reality check for the level of scale fidelity and amenities that would have never been seen in foam just a few years ago.  By far the largest and nicest F-16 I've ever owned and it's not even close.

The sequencer board makes plugging in the leads to your receiver as easy as it gets.  The routing, the board is already all plugged in from the factory.  All you have to do is plug the leads directly into the receiver and that's it!  The gear is truly incredible.  Looks like something you would expect from a Top Gun entry, not an EPO foamie.

I took some photos but I didn't finish the build until it got dark out.  I still had to taxi test and check out the sweet LEDs at night!  Sorry for the terrible quality...My cell phone takes horrible night shots.  I'll take much better day shots tomorrow.  The maiden is this Saturday.  Weather looks perfect!
            This is certainly an awesome EDF, just finished mine and almost hate to fly the thing it is such a showpiece. If it fliies half as good as it looks we all will be happy campers. I have it set up on 8s. ( Viper 8s motor and Castle ESC).  Eager to hear from you guys on the flying charateristics, speed, ect.
            CT

Comment

Originally posted by OV10
              Aros -
              Am envious on two counts. Nice looking bird and where the heck is that nice looking weather with green grass and trees in flower. I've got 3 feet of snow in my front yard here in upstate NY - AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGG.
              Oh my!  I am in the Pacific Northwest, Washington State.  We are having a historic record breaking mild winter.  Temps have been in the 50's and 60's even!  Normally it's 30's and 40's and rain, rain, rain, wind, wind, wind until June.  I've flown as much this winter as I have in my usual flying seasons!  Unbelievable.  Well I hope you guys have a nice Spring and Summer.  

Heading to Pulaski, NY this Summer to hang out at my dear friend's cabin on Lake Ontario.  Can't wait!
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by CT
                This is certainly an awesome EDF, just finished mine and almost hate to fly the thing it is such a showpiece. If it fliies half as good as it looks we all will be happy campers. I have it set up on 8s. ( Viper 8s motor and Castle ESC).  Eager to hear from you guys on the flying charateristics, speed, ect.
                CT
                I know, that's how I feel!  It's so dang beautiful I'm almost afraid to fly it!  Looks like a museum's hangar queen!  

8S?  Wow, she should SHRED on 8S!  
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

For those of you with keychain cams like the Mobius 1080p wide lens which I have (and love), I put together some screen caps of angles that I felt would work best for onboard video of the F-16.  

I found the coolest angles are on top of the canopy facing aft and underneath the nose facing aft.  Port-side wing tip angled slightly towards the cockpit is pretty cool too.  Finally, under the fuse in front of the port or starboard servo facing forward is a cool view for the cycling of the gear and armament. 

Attached Files
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

For those of you with keychain cams like the Mobius 1080p wide lens which I have (and love), I put together some screen caps of angles that I felt would work best for onboard video of the F-16.  

I found the coolest angles are on top of the canopy facing aft and underneath the nose facing aft.  Port-side wing tip angled slightly towards the cockpit is pretty cool too.  Finally, under the fuse in front of the port or starboard servo facing forward is a cool view for the cycling of the gear and armament. 

I just ordered the new wide angle Mobius to replace the one lost in my lipo /charger fire. How do you mount yours?
                    CT

Comment

Originally posted by CT
                      I just ordered the new wide angle Mobius to replace the one lost in my lipo /charger fire. How do you mount yours?
                      Usually with gorilla tape.  A rounded piece on the base, and two strips to hold down each side.  It's not very paint-friendly as it will remove the paint but I love to paint my planes so I often have the color on hand to brush over the bald spot, and if I don't I run to Home Depot to have them match the paint in a small sample size container for three bucks.

(Obviously not an issue if you put the camera on a plastic part or canopy and things of that nature.)
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                        Our container shipment for the F-16, F-5, and Super Scorpion is being unloaded today in Illinois, and all pre-orders for those three aircraft will be shipped by the end of today.

Even with the west coast port madness, we're ahead of the mid March arrival date as originally projected, which is nice.

I look forward to everyone's flight reports!
                        I think I asked this question previously:  What is the best method for measuring the CG on this plane using the recommended battery?  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix
                          I think I asked this question previously:  What is the best method for measuring the CG on this plane using the recommended battery?  Thanks.
                          You want to measure from the leading edge of the wing at the root (where the wing's leading edge meets the fuse).  I have mine around 4.75" which I won't know is the sweet spot until I fly her.  I mark the CG using CG decals, then use my finger tips to check the CG.  I move the battery fore or aft depending on what it does.  It's a bit more difficult to check CG this way because the fuse is so long and you have to move to the side so the  nose can go past your shoulder area.  A CG machine would be better. 
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Quick little tip...

The stock tab that allows you to take the cockpit lid off to access the battery hatch is tape glued on to the top surface.  Mine gave way after just 5 or 6 pulls.  What I did was cut off the end of a popsicle stick, cut a trench where I planned to slide it in it's new home with a hobby knife, then epoxied the base of the stick and stuck her down into the slot so just enough of the top sticks out that you can grab onto when pulling.

I then painted the tab a matching grey, or close enough.  Now it's tough as nails and I will never have a problem popping off the cockpit section to get to the battery hatch again!

Time will tell if I keep it since it's not scale and it is precisely the type of non-scale protrusion that will bug the crap out of me, especially on a jet this beautiful! LOL

Attached Files
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Quick little tip...

The stock tab that allows you to take the cockpit lid off to access the battery hatch is tape glued on to the top surface.  Mine gave way after just 5 or 6 pulls.  What I did was cut off the end of a popsicle stick, cut a trench where I planned to slide it in it's new home with a hobby knife, then epoxied the base of the stick and stuck her down into the slot so just enough of the top sticks out that you can grab onto when pulling.

I then painted the tab a matching grey, or close enough.  Now it's tough as nails and I will never have a problem popping off the cockpit section to get to the battery hatch again!

Time will tell if I keep it since it's not scale and it is precisely the type of non-scale protrusion that will bug the crap out of me, especially on a jet this beautiful!  LOL

I have to say the suspense is agonizing. Can't wait for the maiden flight debrief!

Comment

Okay, maiden success! With school sports kicking in, I was hard pressed to find a time slot to maiden.  Well, I found a tight window and took advantage.  It was dusk, not the best lighting but I managed.

She is so stable in the air, reminded me of a wood/composite.  Watch the video and notice ZERO vibration.  Solid!

Landing stunk because I was on the wrong side of the track and couldn't gauge depth perception and panicked right around flare as I thought it was going right into the chain link fence bordering the track.  Nothing major but definitely an F for landing! :@   Scuffed the elevators a little on the bottom but my ego took the brunt of the abuse. 

What a FANTASTIC jet!  Freewing and Motion RC are killin' it!

This jet is so pretty I didn't want to fly her. Okay, that's not totally true. OF COURSE I wanted to fly her, but the scale fidelity and detail is off the ...
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Great video there Aros, and I didn't think the landing was bad at all. Hey, it didn't look like it bounced, and you could see the gear working. Very cool! Nice flying for sure. Now that the maiden is over, you can relax and really start to enjoy her!

Comment

Flew mine today: http://youtu.be/HY4OkP8SiAo
                                    [hr]

Overall - it flies well - drags in the turns - no surprise - don't feel it under powered but it needs the speed up. Stock motor and fan - balance was not an issue.

Feels a lot like the F-86 in the air. Very nice indeed - may upgrade the fan at some point - flew it twice today - more flights this week.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice flight there, and really pretty landing too. Congratulations! Good looking plane there, and I loved the LEDs in the tail on takeoff, really looks cool.

Comment

Nice flying and great landing! Looking forward to a greaser with this one. My first two have not been up to snuff...Not even close. I envy those of you with a flat area to fly and a nice wide and long paved runway. Good job! Can't wait for sortie #3 sometime this week or weekend.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Jeez, you guys are gonna cause me to spend money! Great vids! FlyingAce, you nailed that landing!
                                          Lauren

Comment

Working...
                                          X