Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 90mm F-16 Falcon Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing this thread back from the dead. I still have not flown mine since my last post here. Having programmed flaperons and tailerons, I have yet to actually try it to see if it will take off from my grass field. I won't get a chance till next spring now. A friend wants to buy it before then and I'm on the verge of letting it go unless I decide to convert it to 8s in hopes of getting a bit more push to get off the grass. I have managed to take off from a geotex runway but it flies very sluggish and seems underpowered (and I've got the so called "high speed" version). Like the 90mm Yak 130, this is still a very heavy plane for what powers it. 8s also presents some drawbacks in that I'd need big 4s batteries to gang up and even then, flight time won't be impressive. What kinds of 8s systems are people running in this plane?
    I've also been considering getting the 70mm F-16 V2 on 6s. Based on the comparison to my 70mm Yak 130 on 6s, I predict it would have a similar kind of punch and would give a more enjoyable experience.

Comment

• I'm sure xviper that you have been asked this already, I didn't go back through all the post but did you calibrate the ESC?? I have two F-16's and they are stock 6S, running a Pulse 45C 5000 pk and I take off, pull the gear up, wait a few seconds then go vertical then into a 1/2 loop, roll out of it and fly on straight out. Seems plenty fast to me. Love the F-16, to me its the only one that looks the most scale, on the ground or in flight. I do fly off a asphalt runway so that helps, is this where you find it sluggish or are you talking about overall flying.??

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
        I'm sure xviper that you have been asked this already, I didn't go back through all the post but did you calibrate the ESC?? I have two F-16's and they are stock 6S, running a Pulse 45C 5000 pk and I take off, pull the gear up, wait a few seconds then go vertical then into a 1/2 loop, roll out of it and fly on straight out. Seems plenty fast to me. Love the F-16, to me its the only one that looks the most scale, on the ground or in flight. I do fly off a asphalt runway so that helps, is this where you find it sluggish or are you talking about overall flying.??
        It's been a while since I got this plane, but I generally do the throttle calibration as one of the first steps for every new set up. Having said that, I may just do it again to be sure. When I flew it off the geotex surface, it got off the ground fairly well. It was in the air that I felt it was a bit sluggish, compelling me to use near full throttle the whole time as it seemed to want to wallow in banked turns. I can only compare this to some of my other EDFs - Stinger 90, ViperJet, Yak 130 70mm, 70mm Super Scorpion, LX A-10. To me at least, those other planes seem to fly at lower throttle with more ease. However, my F-16 does fly better (more umph) than my buddy's big Yak 130. If I don't sell it by spring, I'll give it another go but if the buyer shows up with a bag of money, it's gone.

BTW, I'm not re-joining the club with the geotex runway. That's why the plane must be able to get off the grass.

Comment

• Morning flight

Comment

• Thinking of ordering a Freewing F-16 90mm Super Scale Fighting Falcon but watching the videos it looks like most of the flights I see on it either end up off the end of the runway because it can't bleed off the ground speed fast enough thus tipping it over on the grass or off the end of the runway on landings. So my question is, does someone out there use electric brakes on their F-16 and if so where did you get them. I know the 90mm F-16 comes in hot but just want to slow it down after setting it down on the runway. Thanks

Comment

• The F-16 will land just as slow as any other jet, you just have to learn how to land it, I think it takes more practice than most jets when you first get it is all, most guys come in hot with the F-16 and plop it down with to much speed, on the F-16, the nose will rise up when you slow it down, keep it this way on final with slight elevator back pressure and working the throttle, I know most jet guys will say to leave the elevator alone, but on the F-16 you need to use the elevator a little and use the fuselage like an airbrake to slow you down, it won't stall and drop a wing, but it will drop quickly if your to slow on the throttle and the ailerons do get mushy so make sure your not on low rates, you actually won't need a low rate. Once you get the hang of it, its one of the best ones to land, looks great on final with the high alpha approach. Now if you get it to slow and flare to early you will scrape the tail cone, but it will have a very short roll out. I will try to get a video one of these days, I fly alone most of the time right out in front of my house so I don't have someone to video these flights or landings. Enjoy the F-16, you made a good choice and will have a lot of flying it.

Comment

• Thanks for the info DCORSAIR, I did find a set of electric brakes though that I'll install since we have a pretty short geotextile runway at our field just in case. Haven't seen it yet since I just ordered it but a friend of mine in Minnesota has one and he said the detail on this bird is pretty nice for an EDF! Can't wait to get it and get my hands on the sticks!

Comment

• Got my F-16 yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed with the looks of this jet, the details on it are awesome. Of course I had to inspect it immediately, all was good with it except the nose cone has a hairline crack down it. Not really sure what to do except get a new one since that will drive me crazy on such a great plane and brand new at that, it was packaged so good so I don't know how the nose cone could have been damaged. Will call the guys at Motion to see what they say and or get it replaced. Can't wait to put it together and get it in the air!

Comment

• Well, the nose cone is only $9 if I remember, order something else with it that you might need to help with shipping. Fly with the cracked nose cone for your first flights and have the new one ready or for display, this is what I do with my TBird F-16, I use my junky one for flying and my new one for display. Let me know if you need more info on your set up and CG and all that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donu View Post
                      Got my F-16 yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed with the looks of this jet, the details on it are awesome. Of course I had to inspect it immediately, all was good with it except the nose cone has a hairline crack down it. Not really sure what to do except get a new one since that will drive me crazy on such a great plane and brand new at that, it was packaged so good so I don't know how the nose cone could have been damaged. Will call the guys at Motion to see what they say and or get it replaced. Can't wait to put it together and get it in the air!
                      they are cheap!! With my removable nosed planes I make sure to have at least one but usually 2 on hand.
                      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I want to send out a huge Thanks to Wayne at Motion RC for taking immediate action to get the damaged nose cone replaced on my new F-16 and for Matt following up with a phone call to me right after that to make sure everything had been taken care of. Wow what service!
                        Thanks guys and look forward to the the Avanti that's coming soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by Donu View Post
                          I want to send out a huge Thanks to Wayne at Motion RC for taking immediate action to get the damaged nose cone replaced on my new F-16 and for Matt following up with a phone call to me right after that to make sure everything had been taken care of. Wow what service!
                          Thanks guys and look forward to the the Avanti that's coming soon!
                          They are pretty dang amazing!! There is a reason why I have so many planes from them....LOL
                          Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                          I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I had held off getting one of these, but I finally took the plunge the other day and ordered one (grey scheme). Should be here on Monday. Can't wait!
                            Pat

Comment

• Comment

•  

Comment

• Does anyone know what kind of paint Freewing is using on the 90mm F-16. I thought about using Mimwax Polycrylic Satin for a more durable finish but the jet already weights enough so I just wanted to match up some touch up paint for it in case of ding or scrape.

Comment

• I see you got it Donu, how do you like the looks of it and when will your maiden flight be??

Comment

• Well I was hoping to Maiden it today but I have to change up all the connectors on the batteries since there not EC5's on my current ones, ordered some and should be replaced by Monday. Hopefully it will happen soon! Looks amazing by the way.

Comment

• All ready to go for the first flight but it needs to stop raining first!

Comment

• Hoping your maiden is successful Donu. I was about to say you can touch up that hair line crack on the nose but looks like you did that already. Nice. I never maiden in a crosswind; just thought I would mention that.

Comment

Working...
                                          X