Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think they've been messing around with the site. Several planes keep disappearing and then coming back.
    Pat

Comment

• I mentioned that to Aros, he's looking into it.

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• My biggest limitation with my F-16 is FOD from the turf runway we have to use now. Has anybody tried covering the cheater holes with any success, or is there just not enough intake area without them?

Comment

• Speaking of an f16, this one I saw in the video, just from a watching standpoint just stood out as nothing short of amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
            Speaking of an f16, this one I saw in the video, just from a watching standpoint just stood out as nothing short of amazing.
            Some of the guys in that video are from my club in the UK

Comment

• Very nice, as an f16 video this is far and away one of my favorites

Comment

• Originally posted by toothbuzz@hotmail.com View Post
                My biggest limitation with my F-16 is FOD from the turf runway we have to use now. Has anybody tried covering the cheater holes with any success, or is there just not enough intake area without them?
                there just wouldn't be enough air getting to the fan from the scale intake. You could try and move the cheaters to the top of the airframe and blank off the underside?

Comment

• Thanks for the response, Porkster. I've considered that, but the cheater holes basically disappear in the air located where they are stock, and they really aren't that obvious on the ground either. Guess I'll just leave them alone and fly it off tarmac when I visit clubs that have it. I attend several events during the flying season so I'll get to fly it, just not as much as I'd like.

Comment

• Some glide in landings. It's possible but if you lack the confidence don't try this at home!

Comment

• Originally posted by EDFjetpilot View Post

I do not recommend using the stock ESC with the FMS 1900kv motor...it will eventually burn up the ESC. It happened to me and several others...read the related posts on the RCG FW F-16 thread.

Sean
                      How did that burn up a 130A ESC? Were you using a different fan than the stock FMS fan? Do you have any data on the amperage you were running?
                      I'm interested because I have an FMS 90mm unit to put in the F4.

edit: after 30 minutes of searching on RCG, 30 minutes I wish I could get back, I have found nothing relevant. A lot of armchair experts on there for sure.
                      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• I ran into the same issue running the FMS EDF with the stock 130A ESC. Static testing showed a maximum current of 126A, and the ESC would at first seem to act normally. The first couple of flights went awesome, but after about 5 flights, things changed. After about 1 minute of continuous operation (even at 75% or less throttle for most of the time), the fan would start pulsing as if giving a low voltage cutoff. I switched batteries, and re-soldered all of joints with no impact. After 3 emergency glide landings to the runway, and one belly landing in the grass, I was really getting fed up with things. I switched out the ESC for a YEP 150A, and after some reprogramming, all of my issues went away. Best I could tell, the pulsing that I experienced was an ESC overheat cutoff. Highly recommend switching ESCs with the FMS unit to avoid any unexpected emergency landings.

Comment

• Looks like the yep is the way to go then. I use a yep in my P-51. And I have the programming card

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post

How did that burn up a 130A ESC? Were you using a different fan than the stock FMS fan? Do you have any data on the amperage you were running?
                            I'm interested because I have an FMS 90mm unit to put in the F4.

edit: after 30 minutes of searching on RCG, 30 minutes I wish I could get back, I have found nothing relevant. A lot of armchair experts on there for sure.
                            I'm not claiming to be an expert, just passing along my experience. Yes, I was using the stock fan and motor from FMS. I bought it from Horizon.

Like F106 said, static amps were around 126 peak, and 124 nominal. I got around 30 flights out of mine. I only used full throttle for take-off and 1-2 passes. When mine.quit, I was at about 70% throttle and had just enough altitude and airspeed to barely make the runway for one of my best landings on this jet.

It sounds like folks are having better success with the YEP 150.

I've since retired my FW F-16 and now fly the HSD F-16.

Sean

Comment

• I think it unloads to even less in the air. That being said, that is not good news about the Freewing ESC. I have suspected the Freewing ESC in two separate incidents involving the stock 1550kv/12blade setup as well. The most recent was yesterday.
                              So I think I will be going with the YEP 150 and the FMS EDF for my 90mm jets in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                I think it unloads to even less in the air. That being said, that is not good news about the Freewing ESC. I have suspected the Freewing ESC in two separate incidents involving the stock 1550kv/12blade setup as well. The most recent was yesterday.
                                So I think I will be going with the YEP 150 and the FMS EDF for my 90mm jets in the future.
                                EDFs don't really unload in the air. Sometimes they actually pick up amps because there isn't enough air on the ground but once they get moving the fan loads up a lil more.

But that being said the ESC timing is almost always off when you see the amps that high. Make sure that it is set to LOW and it should be in the 100-110amp range. Anything more than LOW timing is just adding amps since you don't get any real noticeable increase in RPMs. I have been using the stock esc in my F-104 for over a year with no issues as of yet. My current FMS 12 blade fan with 1900kv motor is pulling the same peak amps but less at half throttle while moving more air than the stock set up did. I really wanna try it in the F-16 and see if it helps as well.

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Anyone follow this cat on youtube? Thoughts on this afterburner mod? Pretty cool. I'm assuming some sort of water-spray mechanism?

Hopefully test flight soon. Details of the CF1 system are confidential for now.

Comment

• That's pretty interesting! Can't wait to find out the scoop on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                                      EDFs don't really unload in the air. Sometimes they actually pick up amps because there isn't enough air on the ground but once they get moving the fan loads up a lil more.
                                      This is why I recommend to people new to EDF (or glow ducted fans):

Tie the plane to a post with a fish scale, slowly advance throttle. Note when the thrust measured drops off with increased throttle. That is your max throttle until 50% of the runway is used for short field take-off. (and you don't want to go much higher until you have established some altitude and airspeed)

Actually, you can have a perfect inlet volute (you never will on an airplane) and still not be able to have the fan get enough air at full throttle with the airplane tied to a post.
                                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• For comparison.......

F-16 engine test with full afterburner. 11 liters of fuel per second!

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

But that being said the ESC timing is almost always off when you see the amps that high. Make sure that it is set to LOW and it should be in the 100-110amp range. Anything more than LOW timing is just adding amps since you don't get any real noticeable increase in RPMs. I have been using the stock esc in my F-104 for over a year with no issues as of yet. My current FMS 12 blade fan with 1900kv motor is pulling the same peak amps but less at half throttle while moving more air than the stock set up did. I really wanna try it in the F-16 and see if it helps as well.
                                          I thought the same the thing, but I checked and even ended up resetting it just to be sure it was on low. Still, the issue persisted. Maybe it's an isolated incident, but I'd beware. Keep plenty of altitude in case you need to fly her back in with little to no power.

Comment

Working...
                                          X