X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TedBull View Post
    I just bought a Grey Ghost F4. I have a custom order in with callie graphics to do VMFA-251 graphics (my father's favorite squadron where he served).
    TB, Great lookin' livery, Sir. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4J 153896 VMFA-251 DW-5 MCAS Beaufort, SC 14JUN76 (JS) (2) ..jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	212204
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

TB, Great lookin' livery, Sir. Best, LB

Name:	F-4J 153896 VMFA-251 DW-5 MCAS Beaufort, SC 14JUN76 (JS) (2) ..jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	212204

Comment

• Our last name is Coggburn. The nickname "Rooster" has been with my father, my older brother, and myself. Sadly my son's generation probably doesn't even know who John Wayne is. Or Jeff bridges. I like both versions of the movie true grit. Anyways, my father was the maintenance chief, and "Rooster's Raiders" was a name given to his crew. Callie graphics is including that decal to go on the landing gear door.

Comment

• Comment

Our last name is Coggburn. The nickname "Rooster" has been with my father, my older brother, and myself. Sadly my son's generation probably doesn't even know who John Wayne is. Or Jeff bridges. I like both versions of the movie true grit. Anyways, my father was the maintenance chief, and "Rooster's Raiders" was a name given to his crew. Callie graphics is including that decal to go on the landing gear door.
            TB, I thank you and your family for your service. There is nothing more powerful in the service than tradition and it's legacy. Bravo Zulu, Sir. I look forward to your build pics. And if you want some of the 3DP bits I added to my Phantom, there are pics somewhere in this forum, let me know. I will be happy to assist with STL files or parts if you'll send me your geo info. Best, LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I just pulled the tail section out of the box. The servo is glued in there pretty well. The pushrod is for sure flimsy. Think I want to upgrade all the pushrods. What rod ends and ball links are you using? Can you post a link? And a link to the 4-40 all thread ans carbon fiber sleeve? Thanks.

Comment

• I'm working on something new Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_153542.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	212274
                BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

I just pulled the tail section out of the box. The servo is glued in there pretty well. The pushrod is for sure flimsy. Think I want to upgrade all the pushrods. What rod ends and ball links are you using? Can you post a link? And a link to the 4-40 all thread ans carbon fiber sleeve? Thanks.
                  I bought a package of Traxxas ball links Meant for RC car steering.
                  I think it was this package

4-40 all thread

CF tube

Not the exact tube I used. It has to be 3mm ID to pass the 4-40 all thread.

I got my supplies a the local hobby shop.
                  The ones linked will work but may not be the best prices.

Cut the all thread to proper length to have at least 6 turns of threads engaged in both ball links.

Cut the CF tube to length so it will have appx 1/4 inch of adjustment possible tightening the second ball link vs what you think is the correct length pushrod.
                  Part of this is taken up by a 4-40 nut that will end up epoxied in place.

To epoxy the CF to the rod, put one ball link on the rod at least 6 turns
                  Apply epoxy to the threaded rod starting at appx 1/2inch from the end without the ball link coating it to the ball link.
                  Slide on the tube, turning it as you slide it on. It should push a little epoxy off that you have to clean up. (with practice you learn how thick to coat the rod.. too much is better than not enough)

Put a 4-40 nut on to hold the tube against the ball link and trap the epoxy.
                  Lay it on newspaper to cure.

Since the tube is mainly to prevent bending, some air in the tube is not a major problem. By laying it flat, the rod will bond to the tube very well with all the air on the side that is left up.

For inserting a short piece of threaded rd in each end f a long tube the technique is similar, but you's position the rod vertically with the end being glued down and a nut, clevise or ball link would trap the glue.

These pushrods are short enough that the weight of all thread full length in the tube is insignificant vs enough in the tube to make a secure bond with just inserted threaded rod ends.

You want less than 1/4 inch of threaded rod exposed between ball link and CF tube or nut.

With more practice setting this style pushrod up, you can get it down to 3 turns of exposed threads once the aircraft is properly trimmed.
                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Removing the glued in servo.. slide a sharp knife down each side and cut most of the glue free.
                    Its OK to take some foam, since the purpose is to open air passage to cool the servo.

Taking measurements from anther servo to find where the wire exit the servo (so you don't cut it) Apply masking tape to the knife to mark s you will stay 1/4 inch from the wire and cut the servo free at the front and back.

You should now be able to pull the servo.

Adjust the servo opening by cutting foam for the replacement (if putting in a "full size" servo, as I have) mounting rails or ply plate and cooling air passages.

Comment

• Here are my previously posted picks of my first try at a better pushrod. The link itself bent so I made a even stronger one. Click image for larger version

Name:	bent push rod link.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	212291Click image for larger version

Name:	bent push rod link 2.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	212292Click image for larger version

Name:	better push rod link.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	212293

Comment

• Here's what mine looks like "after". Its a heavy rod and 4-40 ball link, very secure. (Since this pic was take I have also reinforced the servo mount)

Name:	20180606_214819.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	212298
                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Awesome. Thanks for the links, pics, and descriptions.

Comment

• Please note on mine I use the servo inner hole on the arm. I do this on most to increase the torque the servo can provide. I also usually dial in the appropriate increase in servo throw which also increases the servos resolution. Doing this on the F-4 elevator, F-18 pitch stabs, ailerons and flaps and on other planes could be the reason that I have had none of the servo issues others have reported.

Comment

• Looks like the DuBro 4-40 ball link. They are lighter than the Traxxas, but definitely up to the task. I went with the Traxxas simply because they were far less expensive at the local hobby shop.

Comment

• Originally posted by t33jetman View Post
                                I'm working on something new Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_153542.jpg
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	212274
                                I met the T33jetman today at the E-Jets event In Ohio. His F-4 is looking amazing, and ready for a possible maiden tomorrow. Had to get a photo of our Phantoms out on the runway.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	212835

Comment

• Along side of the A-10 and F-22, this F-4 has to be the best Freewing jet ever released. Such a great jet.
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                    Along side of the A-10 and F-22, this F-4 has to be the best Freewing jet ever released. Such a great jet.
                                    Aros, I love my A-10, though the Freewing Phantom is so 'dang pretty' when finished out well. I'd build another and possibly one more after that. Best, LB

Ps: Great picture Gentlemen. Again, well done.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Only 25 feet is required to takeoff from a ramp. I may build a portable runway next.

Comment

• Originally posted by RuthR720 View Post
                                        Only 25 feet is required to takeoff from a ramp. I may build a portable runway next.
                                        https://youtu.be/P6d8VxsG_ig
                                        Frighteningly Awesome !!! You must have one of those 'good' Connecting Pins on that NoseGear ! Well done.

Comment

• I met EA-6B GEEK, who was very nice to me and very helpful in setting up my plane

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	213408Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	213409Click image for larger version

Name:	69513027_2307832092585451_90416676557815808_n.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	213410Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	213411
                                          BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

Working...
                                          X