X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by slamdance64 View Post
    Here are some videos of my maiden and a few shots of my 2nd flight. I am thrilled with how good it looks in the air. I can't wait to put in more flights. The next thing up is flying with tanks then with a half dozen snakeyes. :-)
    Maiden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W7zpWylM-M
    2nd flight landing slo-mo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzzT2a0tpJI
    low flight slo-mo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO7eNTZIWVE

My gal pal Callie came through again with the graphics!
    Nice Flights. Beautiful!

Comment

• Hi apmech1,

you will recoginize your handiwork in the next set of shots when I put on the tanks and weapons. I want to thank you very much for making them available via thingiverse.

Happy flying!

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
        Just back from Jet Jam.... Tons of successful flights and beautiful landings. Getting the F4 Ready now! Retro fitting the JP Hobby 6S Fan/ Motor. Stock ESC. Ryan's vid was VEY helpful!
        Hi Dragon,

One of my really big pet peaves is how many EDF producers have absolutely no idea of a flow tube, and obstructions within the flow tube. I was looking at your pic.s of the JP unit and had a question. Does this fan unit have a faring or hollow fin that allow the wires exit the fan unit? So far the only ones I personally have seen who does this is Scheubler. If this fan has this particular feature I would be highly interested in fitting one of these to my soon to be new F-18.

One other question. Are the fan blades polished smooth?

It is my opinion that those wires dangling out at the rear of the fans causes some serious turbulence in the discharge of the EDF unit. IE makes them less efficient. Just an opinion though as I have yet to do any formal testing. I intend to though.

Best Regards
        W

Comment

• BVM has the fairing on the wires coming out of the fan/motor unit.

Not hard to carve a foam fairing, apply tissue and epoxy for a hard surface, hollow it out and slide it over the wires.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
            BVM has the fairing on the wires coming out of the fan/motor unit.

Not hard to carve a foam fairing, apply tissue and epoxy for a hard surface, hollow it out and slide it over the wires.
            Not hard I would think. Needs to be smooth & sexy. LOL I'd just as soon get one with it already accounted for. I'm also going to make me some sort of dyno soon. To make sure I'm getting the exact same thrust every time I max the throttle. Make sure it's nice and consistent. No reason I can think of for it not to be that way.

Best Regards
            W

Comment

• Originally posted by slamdance64 View Post
              Hi apmech1,

you will recoginize your handiwork in the next set of shots when I put on the tanks and weapons. I want to thank you very much for making them available via thingiverse.

Happy flying!
              You are welcome! Here is a shot that my wife got of mine. It does shift the CG aft a bit so you may want to compensate for that.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0332.JPG
Views:	979
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	202978

Comment

• I'm working out how to mount the outer tank/weapon pylons with magnets. I just dn't think they should be glued on and they'll fall ff without something to hold them.

I got some 6mm round rare earth magnets that look promising.

Comment

I'm working out how to mount the outer tank/weapon pylons with magnets. I just dn't think they should be glued on and they'll fall ff without something to hold them.

I got some 6mm round rare earth magnets that look promising.

Why wouldn't you simply use the same Attachment Parts that the inboard pylons use ?? Seems like a quick and easy solution if you're wanting a removable system there.. no ?

Comment

• More mods to do that than to use magnets.

Comment

More mods to do that than to use magnets.

And you think those Pylons are gonna remain attached to your wings with Tanks (or anything else for that matter) attached to them using only Magnets ?? Ok... GL with that !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post

And you think those Pylons are gonna remain attached to your wings with Tanks (or anything else for that matter) attached to them using only Magnets ?? Ok... GL with that !!
                        Did you actually connect the tip of the aft sparrow to a modded gear door? That is way cool! I would love to see how you did the inner gear door mod!

Comment

• Originally posted by apmech1 View Post

Did you actually connect the tip of the aft sparrow to a modded gear door? That is way cool! I would love to see how you did the inner gear door mod!
                          Affirmative !!!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Bobaroo;n203381
                            Affirmative !!![/QUOTE]

BBR, That just gets better every time I watch it. Great mod. Glad to read your voice. LOL Best, LB
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

BBR, That just gets better every time I watch it. Great mod. Glad to read your voice. LOL Best, LB

I know ... Right ?? Hahahahaha

Your help with this Jet was invaluable to me LB, couldn't have done it otherwise. I thank you again. Cheers

Working on all x10 of the Hornet Doors here now !!! And.... Enjoying every minute of it !! Enjoy !

Click image for larger version  Name:	Blue_Angels_McDonnell_Douglas_FA-18_Hornet_3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.5 KB ID:	203411

Comment

• Well was happily enjoying flight number 5 when it was time for landing. Flew by with gear and landing flap and all was good. Turned downwind and selected landing flap when all hell broke loose. Jet rolled hard left. Pulled up flaps increased power but it was still rolling left. Hard right aileron slowed it down then it departed controlled flight and cartwheeled until water impact. Luckily little damage but ill have to inspect everything. Going to add in Castle creations Pro BEC when I rebuild during fall or winter. 😞
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Sounds like you had control so not the BEC. Sounds like a flap stopped working in the half flap position.

Comment

• Hi Evan
                                    yes I did not loose link so I am not blaming BEC. I have to go through plane tonight and see what happened. I had gone over all linkages before every flight. It was my 3rd flight of the day. Oh well I will get back to it later on.

Comment

• There have been many reports of flap servo issues with the Avanti and a few with the L-39. You’re the first with the phantom. Most are the people having the wrong up travel and it is trying to push further up than the stop, heats up and stops working usually in the half flap position...

Comment

• Maybe it was a stripped gear on the left flap servo that may not have been noticed... that can happen If the flap is struck during a hard landing. It will be very interesting if you discover what happened during your investigation, let us know.
                                        Some of us have had problems with the stab attachment. were both stabilizers still firmly attached?
                                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Definitely not loss of RX system, since it was still responding.

It had to be a control surface, linkage or servo failure. (includes failed connection between servo and RX)

It sounds like you attempted every control input possible to try to level the model, except rudder was not mentioned.

A rudder "hard over" failure could have caused that type crash.

Pulling flaps up should have reversed the roll if it was a flap stuck in the middle position.

Fighting what is essentially a crossed control issue, you add a lot of drag and so you need power. The amount of power needed can be high, and you were just at end of flight, when the high power might trip LVC.
                                          Once you stall in this type situation, it rarely recovers.

Comment

Working...
                                          X