X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Papadave418 View Post
    Still in research mode for this plane, anyone done 10-12s?
    Hi there, Papadave418, I can't recall anyone who has flown our F-4 on 10s or 12s. Mostly it's been 6s and 8s, either stock Freewing or other brands.

I'd look at kilowatts as a relative figure. The 8s system at ~110A will push the F-4 to right about its max. Any more power would be wasted exponentially as the model hits a drag wall. We designed the F-4's wing and other aspects for 130mph top speed. If you're going for an efficient 12s setup with perhaps lower blade count and lower amps, then I think there are power system options out there that will be flyable, enjoyable, and practical (CG-able, well wing-loaded). However, if you're going for a 150+mph speed runner, this model likely isn't it.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

Hi there, Papadave418, I can't recall anyone who has flown our F-4 on 10s or 12s. Mostly it's been 6s and 8s, either stock Freewing or other brands.

I'd look at kilowatts as a relative figure. The 8s system at ~110A will push the F-4 to right about its max. Any more power would be wasted exponentially as the model hits a drag wall. We designed the F-4's wing and other aspects for 130mph top speed. If you're going for an efficient 12s setup with perhaps lower blade count and lower amps, then I think there are power system options out there that will be flyable, enjoyable, and practical (CG-able, well wing-loaded). However, if you're going for a 150+mph speed runner, this model likely isn't it.
      Great information thank you!
      Eventually Gravity Always Wins

Comment

• Some more cool liveries!

Comment

• Got my Phantom a Few weeks back but now putting her into a classic British scheme with the help of Callie Graphics, currently 6S but may make her 8S!

The maiden will be interesting considering our site is on a side of a hill and only 40m x 40m patch.

Either way will post some pics of the build as it goes on

Comment

• Some handy work from this bank holiday in the UK, next is to spray the main fuse's black spine and repaint the grey's to match British Colour Schemes. Possibly going to make it 8S at some point as thinking of also adding the RC Geeks after burner kit for that full scale look.

Before fitting the rear end to the fuse I'm thinking of replacing the elevator servo, anyone got a good substitute be it either Hitec or Savox?

Hope to have hear finished by early summer, as bogged down in A-Level revision at the moment.

Comment

Still in research mode for this plane, anyone done 10-12s?
              Look up post #1545, mine is on low-Amp 10s power.

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

Look up post #1545, mine is on low-Amp 10s power.

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...986#post131986
                Clean install! I know speed is not the game, but just curious what your set up delivers?

Comment

• I have had my phantom for over a year and just maidened her. First decent day to fly that I have been off. I say decent because there was a 7-10 mph 90 degree crosswind. Stock 6s set up. She took off well. handled the wind pretty good. I have to work on my landings though. :) I com in too high. I almost stalled 2x on landing. I had power on and pitched it way up... lol. I have to practice hold pitch and adjust throttle. I get low, I add power and it doesn't arrest the descent enough so I pull back on the stick. This thing was at 45 degree nose up and just hovering because of the wind. I took a little power off and landed in the grass of the end of the runway. I snapped the nose gear pin and ripped the foam bit off of the nose cone. I thought it was going to be much worse.... Tough bird! she flew well though. I am happy with it. My wife loves taking pics. Lighting wasn't great but she still got some good ones.

Comment

• My wife loves this shot :) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4278.JPG
Views:	898
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	191308

Comment

Clean install! I know speed is not the game, but just curious what your set up delivers?
                      Thanks! I didn‘t measure the top speed yet, but it‘s looking pretty scale during fast low passes. I will add a GPS module and report the speed measurement. Here is another measurement after about 20s runtime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C60B90E9-F11C-4635-B72E-00BF420E70FC.jpeg
Views:	861
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	191353

Comment

• My old 4074-1700kV 6S setup delivered more watts than that but at 117A. My current low power 8S is 99.5A and 3050W.

I assume that at that power you could probably run 12S on it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          My old 4074-1700kV 6S setup delivered more watts than that but at 117A. My current low power 8S is 99.5A and 3050W.

I assume that at that power you could probably run 12S on it?
                          Yes, that would work, albeit I would need to change the ESC in the F-4. I’m running such a unit in the Blackhorse L-39 on 12s and in JePe/Starmax F-16 on 11s.

http://www.jepejets.com/jepeshop/fan...90-9-12s-.html

Comment

• Originally posted by apmech1 View Post
                            I have had my phantom for over a year and just maidened her.
                            APM, Thanks for the flight debrief. Great pictures and Congrats on the maiden.:) Best, LB
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• pullupnow, way cool video. Love the angles and the slomo. It's always sad to see more of them go. But that's why we're keeping them alive!
                              Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

On 8s what is the thrust generated by the stock configuration?

Comment

• Has anyone replaced the elevator servo on their phantom? If so what to?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben De Vizio View Post
                                    Has anyone replaced the elevator servo on their phantom? If so what to?
                                    First consideration in replacing is the dimensions of the servo.

I'd look up the specifications on what is in there then look for a Hitec digital with more torque in the same size case.
                                    I've never had a Hitec servo fail without it being in a major crash (traceable to pilot error) first.
                                    given the option to order the model with no servos, I would have put all Hitec servos in already.

You already have a metal gear digital... 55 in-oz (5.0 v)
                                    Not really impressive torque and I would desire more power on this size and speed aircraft.

But I haven't heard of the servos being an issue. I have heard of the ball link being a problem. If you are breaking the ball link before the servo gives up, that is what I would fix first.
                                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• 3D. Printed tail feathers, should ledge around small end be removed before gluing????

Comment

• Originally posted by david101 View Post
                                        3D. Printed tail feathers, should ledge around small end be removed before gluing????
                                        Hello david101 and welcome to HobbySquawk! Not quite sure I understand your question. How about a little more information? I am not familiar with printed tail feathers for the Phantom.

Comment

Working...
                                        X