X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ya its gonna get expensive in here
    hey tom, if they are on the water why don't you announce them now?

Comment

• Has anybody tried lowering ailerons to help slowing down the Phantom on landing?

Comment

• I've never felt I needed to as the flaps alone seem to be quite effective.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
          I've never felt I needed to as the flaps alone seem to be quite effective.
          Thanks for your Reply. Of course, i have no doubt that flaps alone will work in most cases. We are, however, constrained to a mere 58m of grass Strip and every landing has to be just right. Yesterday, a friend of mine misjudged the Approach and crashed his F4 just short of the runway. Apparently the later versions of the real F4s could lower the ailerons together with the flaps, so I thought this may as well work with the FW F4?

Comment

• Originally posted by Walo View Post

Thanks for your Reply. Of course, i have no doubt that flaps alone will work in most cases. We are, however, constrained to a mere 58m of grass Strip and every landing has to be just right. Yesterday, a friend of mine misjudged the Approach and crashed his F4 just short of the runway. Apparently the later versions of the real F4s could lower the ailerons together with the flaps, so I thought this may as well work with the FW F4?
            Use caution when doing this. My best friend attempted this on his Freewing F-16. Didn't seem to have enough aileron authority. He flew into the fence twice trying to take off. Now listen, there could have been other things wrong too obviously. But he claims when he had the ailerons down he couldn't steer away from the parameter fence. Same basic thing, the runway at this field isn't really long enough for most EDF's. Point being, just be careful.

Woody

Comment

The only problem with lowered ailerons as flaps is you get a reduced roll authority as you lower your flaperons. Man.. 58 m is tight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

Use caution when doing this. My best friend attempted this on his Freewing F-16. Didn't seem to have enough aileron authority. He flew into the fence twice trying to take off. Now listen, there could have been other things wrong too obviously. But he claims when he had the ailerons down he couldn't steer away from the parameter fence. Same basic thing, the runway at this field isn't really long enough for most EDF's. Point being, just be careful.

Woody
                This is a prime example why an EDF model of a Saab AJS-37 Viggen would be perfectly suited for those that fly at fields with short runways. ;)

Comment

• Re-maidened my VF-111 Sundowners yesterday. This time with the FMS 90 12 blade and the Hobbywing 130 amp esc. Pre-tested at 2200 watts and 6 lbs of max thrust. Conditions were grass ops and 12mph crosswind. 6S 6000mah 60C rcjetwerx battery

Flew pretty good. Uneventful but not very fast. Still think the 8S version is the way to go. A new version of the FW 90 12 blade combo is now available at RC Castle. Would buy from MRC but they are not stocking them yet. Advertised thrust is 11lbs. Nice. So I bought one.

Hawk

Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                  Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                  I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                    Re-maidened my VF-111 Sundowners yesterday. This time with the FMS 90 12 blade and the Hobbywing 130 amp esc. Pre-tested at 2200 watts and 6 lbs of max thrust. Conditions were grass ops and 12mph crosswind. 6S 6000mah 60C rcjetwerx battery

Flew pretty good. Uneventful but not very fast. Still think the 8S version is the way to go. A new version of the FW 90 12 blade combo is now available at RC Castle. Would buy from MRC but they are not stocking them yet. Advertised thrust is 11lbs. Nice. So I bought one.

Hawk
                    Glad your doing okay Hawk after what I read from the other thread, great that you got out to fly the Phantom. Let us know how the new 90mm 12 blade does when you get your maiden done.

Walo, not sure you will able to get the F-4 slowed up enough to hit a short runway like that, as others have said, be carfeful getting it to slow, ailerons do get mushy, also a great 90 EDF for that short of a runway would be the Eurofighter, it's the only EDF I know of that can land in a short distance with a short roll out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evoman View Post

This is a prime example why an EDF model of a Saab AJS-37 Viggen would be perfectly suited for those that fly at fields with short runways. ;)

That is impressive. Cool looking plane too.

Woody

Comment

• Thank you all for those answers with good hints.

Comment

Has anybody tried lowering ailerons to help slowing down the Phantom on landing?
                          I have not. No need for me so far. I have considered a crow mix for other planes but never done it. If I need to land on a short runway I aim for more of a harrier type of landing. This jet can stop in under 75ft to 100 ft.
                          Look at 1:05

Comment

• Hey all you Phantom Phanatics. This Sunday at 8:00 pm on the Mighty Planes edition on the Smithsonian channel, there is an hour long history of the F-4 Phantom. If you haven't seen it yet, you may want to catch it. It's also on later at several times, but it is interesting, especially if you are now flying this plane.
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thanks for the reminder! I am looking forward to it!
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Recording Set!
                                Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• hello friend among you who have a freewing phantom 2 someone can'il give me the dimension outside and inside of a phanthom2merci because I must buy me a phathom but I would like to install ring afterburne thank you for your answer meter in centimeters
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• I am getting 2 1/16" ID and 2 1/2" OD...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhitchy View Post
                                      hello friend among you who have a freewing phantom 2 someone can'il give me the dimension outside and inside of a phanthom2merci because I must buy me a phathom but I would like to install ring afterburne thank you for your answer meter in centimeters
                                      2 1/16" = 52.40 mm and 2 1/2" = 63.50 mm

Comment

• thank you

Comment

• Unfortunately lost mine on final. Snapped and went in, mangled crushed and broke from the inlets forward. Any idea when replacement front fuselage will be in stock?

Comment

Working...
                                          X