• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TMoyer View Post
    Do you spray or brush on the WBPU?
    I brush it on.

Comment

• Here is a new one for you guys. I use a vinyl clear coat from Orielly auto parts in a rattle can. It sprays on gloss but with a fine steel wool it dulls down nice. It's very flexible and does a great job against UV damage. Been using it for about 7 years now with no issues. On my shiny metal P51 I didn't even dull it down..has looked great for a long , long, time now.

Comment

• On a different note I use a Spektrum transmitter..setting up another plane today I noticed the V tail setting. Anyone tried using this on the F4?

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post
          Here is a new one for you guys. I use a vinyl clear coat from Orielly auto parts in a rattle can. It sprays on gloss but with a fine steel wool it dulls down nice. It's very flexible and does a great job against UV damage. Been using it for about 7 years now with no issues. On my shiny metal P51 I didn't even dull it down..has looked great for a long , long, time now.
          Howabout Posting a picture of the can !! I'd like to try it.
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• I will get one for you tomorrow. It's clear vinyl and leather colorant in a rattle can. Just about any auto parts store should have it. I know Orielly carries it.

Comment

• Originally posted by TMoyer View Post
              No problems with the WBPU yellowing? I remember from many moons ago, Pactra had Formula U for the nitro stuff. It was a urethane. I used the clear a few times and after a while in the sun it yellowed like crazy. Really looked bad after a while.
              I started a post in Airplane Tips and Tricks requesting information from anyone using the Min Wax PolyAcrylic clear (flat/satin/gloss-take your pick) and it seems those using that (it's a brush on) have had excellent results. A friend just re-painted in Tomcat Jolly Rogers with new graphics from Callie and applied the satin and it not only looks outstanding, but has given the foam, paint and Callie's graphics a much more durable covering. The PolyAcrylic gives even a tougher coating than urethane. I've gotten myself a gallon and if it works out, I plan on covering at least 10 of my planes, including both my F-4's, 2-B-24's, a Spitfire and my new 1600mm Corsair. Let you know how it works. :Thinking:
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

On a different note I use a Spektrum transmitter..setting up another plane today I noticed the V tail setting. Anyone tried using this on the F4?
                The V tail option is for a plane that uses a "Ruddervator" which combines the elevator and rudder. Since the F4 uses dedicated flight surfaces for each it probably wouldn't work very well.

Comment

• Cool..nice to know. Never had a look at one of those

Comment

• Hey Y'all, Small steps. Stripped the OEM acrylic paint and repainted the canopy with Dark Sea Gray first to the match interior color, then FS36440 outside. The canopy support structure was too wide, so I narrowed the frame at the Pilot & WSO/RIO Stations with the repaint opening the glass area at the center. Looks better, I think, and the frames are closer to scale which eliminated the squished and pulled looking sections. Stripped the OEM acrylic by soaking paper towels with 91% ISP (suppose 70% would work too) then wrapping that with plastic wrap to slow the evaporation. This dissolved the OEM paint in an hour or so. Clean up with more ISP and 'boom' no paint. Best, LB

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0087.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.7 KB ID:	183179Click image for larger version  Name:	Canopy Repaint F-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.6 KB ID:	183180
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Cool..nice to know. Never had a look at one of those
                      or this Click image for larger version

Name:	cirrus-sf50-vision-jet-ocean.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	183182

Comment

• Picture of the vinyl paint...but clear. I keep forgetting to get a picture in the shop..lol

Comment

• NoProblemo,.. I'll try it and do a Test Sample with it, see how it does. Thanks

Comment

• Finally, my F-4 is ready to fly. Maiden planned April/May. Stock 6s with JP-brakes, 2 NERF whistles and gyro. Looking forward to fly this beast :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                              Hey Y'all, Small steps. Stripped the OEM acrylic paint and repainted the canopy with Dark Sea Gray first to the match interior color, then FS36440 outside. The canopy support structure was too wide, so I narrowed the frame at the Pilot & WSO/RIO Stations with the repaint opening the glass area at the center. Looks better, I think, and the frames are closer to scale which eliminated the squished and pulled looking sections. Stripped the OEM acrylic by soaking paper towels with 91% ISP (suppose 70% would work too) then wrapping that with plastic wrap to slow the evaporation. This dissolved the OEM paint in an hour or so. Clean up with more ISP and 'boom' no paint. Best, LB

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0087.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.7 KB ID:	183179Click image for larger version Name:	Canopy Repaint F-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.6 KB ID:	183180
                              Nice work!

And ISP is = Isopropyl Alcohol ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Xet View Post
                                Nice work! And ISP is = Isopropyl Alcohol ?
                                XET, Yes, sir. Best, LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Has anyone made center gear doors?

Comment

• 101, Might check this thread Bobaroo or Bajora, but yes, someone has but not certain who it was as I've slept since then. LOL Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyhound61 View Post
                                      Finally, my F-4 is ready to fly. Maiden planned April/May. Stock 6s with JP-brakes, 2 NERF whistles and gyro. Looking forward to fly this beast :-)
                                      How did you install the nerf whistles? I have some but didn't really want to cut holes in the foam and they are all too long to install without cutting the bottom off of them.

Comment

• Here is a close up look at the drogue chute on Ivan's F-4 Phantom.

There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Fantastic!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                          X