Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 90mm F-4 Phantom II Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• View of the LE VIR (Fixed Plate) , I designed? How's this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG
Views:	847
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	180391Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0064.JPG
Views:	871
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	180392Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.JPG
Views:	853
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	180393Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.JPG
Views:	794
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	180394
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Ah, so your part is the "front half" of the ramp. I am guessing one could stick it in at a angle if desired? I think it looks great, I'm going to have to print a set for myself!
      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post
        Hey LB,.. When do you think you're gonna fly that thing ?? How close are you on yours ? Has it flown yet before you started the detail work ?

Hey 'Wildman' // Hey Evan,.. What Brand/ Color Paint are you Guyz using on your BlueJets ?? I'm gonna have to do a BlueJet now !! Awesomeness there Guyz Thanks
        Bobaroo, Although I sent you a private message detailing the paints I used on my Blue Angel, I just thought that maybe I should have made it public here in case anyone else is interested, so here it is below. But first, I should have also mentioned that with any masking on factory paint of foamies, I use testors trim masking tape #281179 (comes with 3 sizes- 1.57mm, 3.17mm & 6.35mm) which gives sharp clean edges without peeling of the factory paint like any home depot blue masking tape. Over any repainted area, it's not as critical. Of course, if I was more professional like most of you squawker's, I'd figure out how to use an air brush instead of spray paints and hand painting.

No issues with the repaint, just had to make sure the masking was done carefully on the cockpit, over the servos, etc. I took everything off that I could (like the wheels and struts) first, and did not assemble the plane until finished painting (specifically the tail section of the elevator and rudder - although just stuck it together except the elevator). Also did not install the 3D exhaust nozzles till finished. I also completely redid the pilots and cockpit before the repaint and glued the canopy on.

First primed it with 2 lite coats of the Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover flat white primer. Then I masked the areas that we're going to be in silver (sections of the rudder, elevators, tail cone, air intake and leading edges of the wings). I did not paint the elevators when installed, painted them separate. Next the blue. I used Satin Ink Blue Rust-Oleum 2X ultra cover paint and primer #314754 (yes, even though already primed). Do several lite coats (letting them dry in between) otherwise you may get some bubbling if applied too much on one coat, or drip lines). Believe me, I tried about 30 different blues before settling on this one. The Blue Angel blue was too dark for my taste and looked muddy. Other blues were to glossy, showing every imperfection in the foam. The Satin Ink Blue is a true satin, shinier than matte and not as glossy. The photos do the blue color justice, it looks just like that and for me is outstanding. It still exhibits a shine in the sun without showing the foam pattern. You will need at least 2 cans of primer and 2 of the blue (maybe 3 of each so you have touch-up).

Of course I used Callie's graphics, which are a perfect match to Blue Angel Yellow. I used the Model Master Enamel Blue Angel Yellow #202304. I love enamels over acrylic, but unfortunately, this enamel is nowhere to be found now, got the last 2 bottles I could find and it has been discontinued. It is available in acrylic #4684 or FS13655. Of course, you may not need any with her graphics. I made the yellow on the wing tips, elevators and rudder twice as wide as stock, so had to paint that by hand instead of using her graphics for that. The silver I used was Silver Chrome Trim enamel #273409, although any silver paint is fine. A suitable alternative to the Blue Angel Yellow is the testor's gloss yellow (used for pilots helmets) TES1114.

Believe me, even if this takes you some time, it's well worth it. Even though this blue is not exactly the "correct" blue, it should be. Don't get me wrong, my camo F4 with the red and yellow sunset on the tail and wingtips is a favorite at my field, but when I brought out the Blue Angel, it's day in the sun ended. Even other pilots that have various blue angel models were thoroughly impress with this blue.

If you need any other info or specific pictures of any area, let me know. Good luck, you should have no problem.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Awesomeness,.... Thanks

Comment

• That was a lot of work Hugh. On mine I didn't do any primer. I used some old blue masking tape I had and prestuck it to my T shirt to make it less sticky and had about 1/4" exposed taped to newspaper. I used MM Blue Angel, took like 6 cans, got it off Amazon the cheapest. The Yellow was some yellow (I think Rustoleum) from wally world and the silver (I think Krylon) was something my wife had from doing her crafts... The hardest part was the graphics. I sent a whole bunch of measurements to Callie and most of what I got wasn't usable due to the scale she used. I emailed her back the changes and second try everything except the turtle deck was workable. Between the two turtle deck tries I was able to piece together one that was acceptable. I sent her a tracing of what the turtle deck needed to be for future orders.

Comment

• Evan,
              I must have gotten lucky cause all of Callie's graphics fit perfectly and the yellow was the exact "official" blue angel yellow. I just sent Callie an e-mail of what I was planninng and that it was the Flight Line 90mm F4 and she sent me the correct scale (never even asked her what scale it was). I have her graphics on about 20 planes and her sizing has always been spot on.

She does some customm work for me as well and sometimes I just send her a picture, tell her what colors I want and the size of the item in inches (or a suggested font to use) and she comes up with the rest. I tell her to use her considerable artistic talent and she produces something better than I can think of.
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Might be because of Callie and me working together a year ago... :)

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                  Ah, so your part is the "front half" of the ramp. I am guessing one could stick it in at a angle if desired? I think it looks great, I'm going to have to print a set for myself!
                  TMD, Yes, I simply replaced the LE (leading edge) VIR FIxed Plate (Front Half) with a 3DP design. I wanted the 'sharp' LE as compared to the 3mm OEM. How's your i3Mk3? Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Bobaroo
                    Innocent Bystander
                    Got a couple Flights on the Phantom today with the Completed HookMod !! Looks great with the Hook Hanging down on Final Approach. The Angle was perfect and gave about 1" Clearance each time !! Having the Hook Coupled to the Flaps works out, just a little goofy looking being partially dropped on TakeOff, but can't be helped. These are Validation/ ShakeDown Flights on this Aircraft. Same with the LEFlaps and SpeedBrakes which are Next Up in the queue !! I'll need to Free-Up channels for those also. I'll then Prioritize these Mods and apply them to follow-on airframes based on these results.

The TailHook is gonna be on a Separate Channel on the NavyBirds cause I want more Drop on it for those F-4s. !! And I May Give up the Gyro (Remote Gain) for Operational Canopies !! But I do like that remote gain feature !! ExcitingStuff !! Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

TMD, Yes, I simply replaced the LE (leading edge) VIR FIxed Plate (Front Half) with a 3DP design. I wanted the 'sharp' LE as compared to the 3mm OEM. How's your i3Mk3? Best, LB

​​​​​I made a Stencil and 'Dusted' the Perf Pattern on the Stock Ramps. Hadda do 'Something' up there. Those Bare Naked VIRs just had to get dressed. I would have liked them to be Thinner, but then, there's a lot I would have liked to have seen done a little differently on this one. It's a great platform for Mods that's for sure.

Anyone thinking about 3DP-ing the front 1/4" of those little AirScoops up here on the nose ?? They really need a Re-Tooling !! Hahahaha Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190221_204357.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.8 KB ID:	180642

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190221_202918.jpg Views:	2 Size:	88.1 KB ID:	180640Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190221_202919.jpg Views:	2 Size:	102.7 KB ID:	180641

Comment

​​​​​I made a Stencil and 'Dusted' the Perf Pattern on the Stock Ramps.
                        That looks very cool, I wonder if Callie could make a decal to do that?

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

That looks very cool, I wonder if Callie could make a decal to do that?

Well I suppose she could .... It would be in like x13 Pieces though !! They are a pretty complex little Detail item. Tough little booger to cut a Stencil of too !! Hahahaha

And as LB stated, it is such an important piece of detail on the F-4. His Ultra Thin Ramps may make their way on to one of my FW F-4s someday. Cheers !!

Name:	2012.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	180652Click image for larger version

Name:	3-F-4G-Phantom-Operation-Northern-Watch-94-95-By-SH.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	180653

Comment

I made a Stencil and 'Dusted' the Perf Pattern on the Stock Ramps.
                            BBR, That looks great. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Installed the LE VIR panels and these are how it should be, huh? Added and painted the B Model Top Forward Antenna to the LE Vertical. Looks good, I think. ;) Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0074.JPG
Views:	812
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	180833Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.JPG
Views:	795
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	180834 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	803
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	180835 ​​​​​​​

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Sharp as a razorblade.. VeryNice !! Gorgeous Tail also !!

Comment

• GBU-10's are nearing completion. Already have the AN/ASQ-153 'PaveSpike designator Pod done to accompany these. A nice 'PaveKnife' Pod Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190115_120047.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	181207 will follow !!! Cheers

​​​​​​

Name:	IMG_20190224_181754.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	181205Click image for larger version

Name:	61723314_132198507991.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	181208
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Still looking for some MK82/83 SnakeEyes with PopOut Fins !!! Anyone wanna give that a try, let me know. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190224_184325.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	181218Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190224_184819.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	181219

Comment

Still looking for some MK82/83 SnakeEyes with PopOut Fins !!! Anyone wanna give that a try, let me know. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190224_184325.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	181218Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190224_184819.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	181219
                                      That's some nice ordinance there Bobaroo! Is that AGM-88 on the outboard store?

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

That's some nice ordinance there Bobaroo! Is that AGM-88 on the outboard store?

Absolutely !!

Comment

• Hey Y'all, I think I finally got the "B" Nose Gear Door decently. Also, my take on ' flush-rivets' as the wing control surfaces were a bit naked without those. :Scared: Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0082.JPG
Views:	938
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	181484Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG
Views:	891
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	181485 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG
Views:	941
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	181486 ​​​​​​​
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X