Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gordon View Post
    Bobaroo.

What you need to do is just fit a center burner from Chris (RCGeek), but before you refit the fan unit back into the air frame, after fitting the burner, line the rear edf exhaust area behind the fan unit with sticky backed chrome tin foil. That's what reflects the light and give the "all over" afterburner effect.

Hope this helps,

Gordon Fraser.
    U.K.

Respectfully Gordon, .I have one of the RCGeek 'Centerburners', I had it mounted. When viewed directly from the rear, there is a central void due to the structure and Foam material of the Exhaust Bifurcation. Also when viewed from the side, the Viewed side is much brighter than the Non-Viewed side because the LED Array is in view from this aspect. No amount of Foil Tape or Magic Paint is ever going to bring these Two Exhaust Cans into an equivalent State of Glow from all aspects, yet Two Light Discs Will do just that. Each Side having it's own Light Projection will produce the desired consistent and Uniform Brightness out the back regardless of the Viewing Aspect.

I have the GoonieBurner installed in there now. I find it produces a better light pattern because it is Thinner than the RCGeek Unit and sits further back on the Motor. This orientation places the LED Array further away from the Bifurcation giving a better and more uniform light dispersion within the two sides of the Exhaust Ducting. While this alternative System is slightly better at dispersion, it still suffers from all of the aforementioned structural penalties eg. Central Void, Disparity in Can Brightness, Aspect Induced Disparity etc...

There has been considerable discussion about these LED Afterburner kits over the years with combination Light Rings/LED Arrays and improvements in designs and several Guyz offering their variations on putting Light Down the Tubes of their Jets !! In some very recent instances, these discussions have turned Angry and Hostile. I will not get drawn into that useless situation here nor do I wish to become an instigator in that negativity simply because I reference competing designs in describing my efforts to improve the Output from my Exhaust Cans through my dealings with these various LED Afterburner products.

I'll be happy in the end with my x2 Disc System once I mount it. I will post the results and demonstrate the absence of the Dreaded 'Central Void' and everything else. I will post this not as an ' I told you so...' but as an extension of discovery and accomplishment. And for those who can benefit from the findings, it will be my gift to you. 'FoamiesRule'

Hey Gordon,.. I would caution you here on beginning a dialogue with the words " ...what you need to do is ..." That generally doesn't end well. I went easy on you this time. Hahahaha . We're good. Cheers !!
    ​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Xet View Post

What is your source on that please?
      Looks very Foamie-Esque to me !! Who knows... now if you look closely you will see those Foamie Casting Bumps up around the Canopy, Foamie looking texture on the wings and the Left Stab is riding Lower than the Right one !! The Vertical Fin is not centered in the photo either !!! Hahahaha

Click image for larger version  Name:	a11702043-176-CBE5195B-A068-4F2D-9985-974BBD636284.png Views:	0 Size:	462.6 KB ID:	179640

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post

Looks very Foamie-Esque to me !! Who knows... now if you look closely you will see those Foamie Casting Bumps up around the Canopy, Foamie looking texture on the wings and the Left Stab is riding Lower than the Right one !! The Vertical Fin is not centered in the photo either !!! Hahahaha

Click image for larger version Name:	a11702043-176-CBE5195B-A068-4F2D-9985-974BBD636284.png Views:	0 Size:	462.6 KB ID:	179640
        Thank you!

Comment

• Hey Y'all, built a replacement LE VIR and a template for mounting it correctly (we'll see about that, LOL ) I just could not get past a 3mm+ LE here. :Scared: More pics when installed. Also waiting on more Graphics from Callie. Gotta like her work, for sure. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	VIR LH Pic 2.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	179644Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	785
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	179645 ​​​​​​​
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• LB I like that mod for sure. Cheers Andy

Comment

• The Eflite picture isn’t taken from straight on, it favors the right side of the plane making the h-stabs and vertical look off. I have the RC Geek AB in both my F-4S, two of my Mirages, Mig-21, F-22 and F-100... I used the aluminum tape on all of them except one of the F-4s, it makes a world of difference. On my F-104 I’m going to add one to it and I’m anxious to see how it will look with the outer ring. I hope Chis will make one for the HSD 105mm fan.

I love the “flicker” module on the RCGeek AB????

Click image for larger version  Name:	154B7B7C-EB63-4910-ACBF-CC43E0003287.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	179657
              TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• TI, Great Photo! Question: Would there any benefit to adding a panel (Red Dashes In Pic) in the ductwork of the F-4 that decreases the distance from the bifurcation to the EDF? It seems to me that someone early in the building mods for this F-4 designed something or at least discussed this. Is there a thrust increase or efficiency factor here, as well? :Thinking:Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG
Views:	743
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	179670
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• HookMod Nearly complete (Awaiting Redesign of ContactShoe). Can't wait to try it out !! I Wanna see that nice juicy hook hanging down on that Long flat final approach. I've got it Coupled to the Flaps for simplicity and also, I'm running out of channels on this one, Bummer. SpeedBrakes LEFlaps, Operating Canopies and WingSpoilers yet to do !! Hmmmmm.

Comment

• HookMod works nicely. Cheers

Comment

HookMod works nicely. Cheers
                      You're reading my mind, BBR. It's a 'bling thing' for me. You've done a really nice job here. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

You're reading my mind, BBR. It's a 'bling thing' for me. You've done a really nice job here. Best, LB
                        Glad you like it !!! Hahahaha I'm excited to try it out.

Hey LB,.. I'll be bugging you for Operational Canopies next Soooooooo, keep some space open in your 'Inbox' please !! URock !!

Comment

• BBR What? The hook and now the LE Panels for the VIRs wasn't enough to WOW you? Need to find someone who has had a major mishap to donate organs (Cockpit/Canopy section) for autopsy and R&D. I only want to do the R&D once if I'm the first guy workin' on this one. Lots of talent out there that want this mod as badly as I/we do. Best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• The Call is out there !!

Looking for talented 3DP Guy to Design and Print Operating Canopy Hinges/Framework on the FW F-4 90mm. Something robust yet aesthetic is needed to compliment this model. Must be robust enough to be flown at HighSpeed and not simply a Static Display item !! No need to fuss about locking mechanisms and Actuation, that is simple enough, just looking for a large Mating Footprint to bond to the Canopy, Pin Hinges (For Disassembly and removal of the individual Canopies) and a ScaleLike appearance when opened !!

Lets see if anyone is interested in this. For the greater glory of the F-4 and a little Money for the effort !!! Cheers

Comment

The Call is out there !!

Looking for talented 3DP Guy to Design and Print Operating Canopy Hinges/Framework on the FW F-4 90mm. Something robust yet aesthetic is needed to compliment this model. Must be robust enough to be flown at HighSpeed and not simply a Static Display item !! No need to fuss about locking mechanisms and Actuation, that is simple enough, just looking for a large Mating Footprint to bond to the Canopy, Pin Hinges (For Disassembly and removal of the individual Canopies) and a ScaleLike appearance when opened !!

Lets see if anyone is interested in this. For the greater glory of the F-4 and a little Money for the effort !!! Cheers
                              Have thought long and hard on that one. If it were easy it would likely have already been done.

Comment

Hey Y'all, built a replacement LE VIR and a template for mounting it correctly (we'll see about that, LOL ) I just could not get past a 3mm+ LE here. :Scared: More pics when installed. Also waiting on more Graphics from Callie. Gotta like her work, for sure. Best, LB

Name:	VIR LH Pic 2.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	179644Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	785
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	179645
                                Those look sharp LB! No pun intended

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	tumblr_othmei2Ffo1thnmmgo1_1280.jpg.cf.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	179731
                                  Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Have thought long and hard on that one. If it were easy it would likely have already been done.
                                  I hear ya,... I've got a call out in the FW F-4 3DP Thread as well for this. Someone was asking for requests on items that they wanted designed and printed !! I am not a 3DP Designer and therefore, I'm not qualified to respond to or speculate about the level of difficulty involved in this. I've got working canopies on a FMS F-4 70mm, made them out of Dubro Hinges and a couple of Servos !! That was easy enough to pull off !! Surely there's enough interest in this for someone to conjure it up. Nearly all pictures taken of operational F-4s sitting on a ramp or taxiing out somewhere since 1965 have a few commonalities // Flaps are Drooped, Canopies are Opened.

How about SnakeEyes that have the Fins Pop open when released ?? There's a challenge. I'd like to TakeOff with x18 of them and Drop them, have them Spiral Down and land with empty racks on my F-4. Taking off Loaded is WaaaaayCool, Landing with Full Ord is kinda lame actually.

Soooooooo,.. if any clever 3DP Guyz wanna be a Hero and work on this F-4 CanopyProject by all means, show us what you've got. Or MK-82/83 SnakeEyes with PopOut Fins !!!!! Bring it !! Thanks

Comment

• It's just British phraseology. I will say nothing more. Just trying to be helpful.

Gordon.

Comment

It's just British phraseology. I will say nothing more. Just trying to be helpful.

Gordon.
                                      Its all good Gordon.... He was just giving you a hard time... The guys here are all helpful, and sometimes things get lost in the translation...:Cool: You know, English to english.... All good Brother!!! You know how us damn colonialists are,,,,, ;););) :P

Comment

It's just British phraseology. I will say nothing more. Just trying to be helpful.Gordon.
                                        Gordon, frankly, I wish more 'mericans (I am a Proud American) wud rephrase a lot of what is said. Much of the enjoyment and poetic gesture in writing and speaking has been lost in the last 250 years here, though we endeavor to persevere. Keep posting, your input is wanted, needed and helpful. 'Chin up and all that rot.' or something to that effect...or is it affect, can't get a grip on those some days. Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Gordon, frankly, I wish more 'mericans (I am a Proud American) wud rephrase a lot of what is said. Much of the enjoyment and poetic gesture in writing and speaking has been lost in the last 250 years here, though we endeavor to persevere. Keep posting, your input is wanted, needed and helpful. 'Chin up and all that rot.' or something to that effect...or is it affect, can't get a grip on those some days. Best, LB
                                          Remember that affect comes first alphabetically, and an action (to affect) has to occur before you can have a result (an effect)…. Dang Elbee,,,, See Gordon what we put up with.... LOLLOL;)

Comment

Working...
                                          X