Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I caution starting with the 15mm rearward CG, I would start with no more than 5 and work aft from there. If you haven’t added reflex be doubly cautious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tigerman View Post
      Need to maiden my new Mig 29 but the weather here in the UK is awful at the moment. Is the factory C of G OK and should I maiden it at the mark under the wings or do has a lot of people are telling me to have Cof C about 10mm to the rear of the factory Cof G???

​​
      as everyone mentioned
      i fly my mig with a CG at 10mm aft , 2mm reflex to the flaps and ailerons and 3mm of elevator below the fuselage. it required 3 clicks of right trim and it was locked
      good luck with your maidan . and by the way his jet can handle wind very well , i have flown it in 26km/h wind without even noticing

Comment

• Amen on the wind aspect. This is my go-to jet for windy days, and the reason it's the one I fly most nowadays! :)
        (Along with taking less FOD on my gravel runway than the rest of my fleet with the exception of the old FW Eurofighter which takes none at all).

Comment

• I was wondering about that from watching your videos.

I will share how I repair EDF fan small nicks caused by FOD. No guarantees that fan blade breakage will be prevented by using this technique. Use at your own risk.

I use a UV activated glue pen.
          1) Clean the nick with isopropyl alcohol
          2) Apply a tiny drop of the UV glue into the nick
          3) Cure with UV light…gets rock hard!!
          4) Carefully sand smooth and to shape without removing blade material

The AL37 is prone to ingesting FOD kicked up by the nose wheel. I have successfully fixed several nicks without upsetting the balance of the fan and getting vibrations.

I glue fine grade sandpaper to a popsicle stick so I can reach into the front of the fan more easily. Take your time.

This is the one I use…not cheap, but good stuff. There are many brands available, however.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UAH19FS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

-GG

Caution: The UV curing process is exothermic. If you get uncured glue on your skin and UV light hits the glue, it isn’t pleasant. HOT is the word!

Comment

• Did a search and couldn't find a real answer. a lot of "thinking about converting etc." For those that have went to an 8S setup (or tried it), what setup did you use? I'm curious as to what motor you guys are/were using? Any thoughts on using a 12-blade 80mm EDF on 8s with maybe a HET 650-68-1600kv?

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
              I was wondering about that from watching your videos.

I will share how I repair EDF fan small nicks caused by FOD. No guarantees that fan blade breakage will be prevented by using this technique. Use at your own risk.

I use a UV activated glue pen. [...]

This is the one I use…not cheap, but good stuff. There are many brands available, however.
              I use Bondic myself a lot on model aircraft though typically for different types of repairs and fixes.
              I find it interesting that you use this to repair nicks on the rotor blades.

It would be pointless in my case though, when I say FOD, I'm not referring to a small cosmetic chip on the EDF rotors from an impacting pebble, but rather a whole 2-3mm fringe of the leading edge of the blades completely gone and missing... no amount of Bondic or else is going to properly fix that, lol.

Yeah, my gravel runway conditions are BAD. Can't overstress it enough!

Comment

• Before getting the plane in hand I had a Jet Fan and HET 700-60-1738 set up doing nothing and got a second one from here on RCG along with the proper ESCs. Once I got the plane and started looking at balance with four 4S batteries i had second thoughts. At that time there were a few crashes and balance concerns which also gave me pause. The plane plus two JF/ HET setups, ESCs and batteries really put the money number up to the point that slowed me down on doing it too.

Then I flew it stock and found the power acceptable so I've left it stock... even after adding TVs which rob about 105 of the thrust.

Originally posted by Ironside View Post
                Did a search and couldn't find a real answer. a lot of "thinking about converting etc." For those that have went to an 8S setup (or tried it), what setup did you use? I'm curious as to what motor you guys are/were using? Any thoughts on using a 12-blade 80mm EDF on 8s with maybe a HET 650-68-1600kv?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  Before getting the plane in hand I had a Jet Fan and HET 700-60-1738 set up doing nothing and got a second one from here on RCG along with the proper ESCs. Once I got the plane and started looking at balance with four 4S batteries i had second thoughts. At that time there were a few crashes and balance concerns which also gave me pause. The plane plus two JF/ HET setups, ESCs and batteries really put the money number up to the point that slowed me down on doing it too.

Then I flew it stock and found the power acceptable so I've left it stock... even after adding TVs which rob about 105 of the thrust.

I've found that one could fly this plane on a pair of light weight 6000, 6s batteries, resulting in a "decent" flight time. Going to 8s, finding pairs of 4s batteries to replicate the weight of a single 6s battery might restrict you to fairly low mah's (for balance and the ability to close the canopy), resulting in very short flight times. Yes/No?

Comment

• I would have had to be inventive with battery placement with 3 of the four in the aft battery area. This was before the weight of the TVs and that may have enable the batteries to be moved forward.

Comment

• Probably not the MiG you were expecting but...

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Probably not the MiG you were expecting but...
                        Couple of ruff landings, almost looks like he was a bit too slow on the approach. What say you?
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Very gusty and windy, saw it from Jandro's videos too. Looked like the same flight from two cameras.

Comment

• It was the same flight from two cameras indeed.
                            It was windy and gusty all day long until he flew. At this point there was barely any wind and this pilot is not used to flying without wind. He uses it to slow the approaches (keeping a greater actual airspeed for more safety margin) but he is not used to high alpha flying and doesn't have tailerons configured so when the wind is down, he struggles to bring it in because he is not used to slow high alpha flight.

Gut feeling tells me he is also rather on the nose heavy side, making things worse.

Comment

• Thats a good argument for tailerons

Comment

• Finally got to maiden the Mig today. Boy what a model. With out dout the best EDF Motion RC make. I love it. Fly great, like it is on rails and easy to land. And looks great in the air. If you do not have the Mig 29. Just get one you will not be disappointed. It is great. Well done MRC 😊👍

Comment

• Interesting, what other FW do you have?

Comment

Finally got to maiden the Mig today. Boy what a model. With out dout the best EDF Motion RC make. I love it. Fly great, like it is on rails and easy to land. And looks great in the air. If you do not have the Mig 29. Just get one you will not be disappointed. It is great. Well done MRC 😊👍
                                    Congrats! Glad the maiden went well.

Enjoy but stay aware of the high alpha deep stall and be ready to chop the power to recover (assuming sufficient altitude in hand).

Many fun hours lie ahead. 😃

What battery configuration did you end up using, and where is your CG?

-GG

Comment

• I am using the Admiral Pro 6000 at the moment but the next time I take it up I will try the Admiral 5000. I have the cog 10 to 15mm behind the recommended cog and did what Airguardian recommended with the reflection on the ailerons and flaps and it flew great
                                      ​​​​​

Comment

I am using the Admiral Pro 6000 at the moment but the next time I take it up I will try the Admiral 5000. I have the cog 10 to 15mm behind the recommended cog and did what Airguardian recommended with the reflection on the ailerons and flaps and it flew great
                                        ​​​​​
                                        Isn't autocorrect great?

Comment

• He didn't mention a gyro K............

Comment

Working...
                                          X