X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SoftLandings View Post
    I would love to see some detailed pictures of others’ paint jobs on the 3D plastic parts kit for the B-24 Liberator. I’m about ready to begin painting my set as I am building my new Liberator. Hopefully others see “imitation as the sincerest form of flattery”. Thanks for your input.
    Here's a few photos of cockpit and gunners from my Olive and Silver B-24, not the best work as it was my first shot at redoing a cockpit several years ago, and a lot of guys have done a much better job. My best work (still a ways to go to get to some of the other guys work) was done recently on my F-18 and A-10, but once the canopy goes on with the B-24, most of the detail is tough to see (thankfully for me).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180507_223551.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	289354Click image for larger version  Name:	20180507_223054.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.8 KB ID:	289355Click image for larger version  Name:	20180511_180526.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.3 KB ID:	289356Click image for larger version  Name:	20180424_181620.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.8 KB ID:	289357Click image for larger version  Name:	20180424_181418.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.8 KB ID:	289358Click image for larger version  Name:	20180424_180902.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	289359

And yes, the Captain and Co-Pilot in the Olive B-24 are fair representations of me and my wife, out for a Sunday "Ride in the Sky"!
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I don't think anyone has as much fun as you do Hugh Wiedman with your customizations! Love it

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post
        I don't think anyone has as much fun as you do Hugh Wiedman with your customizations! Love it
        Thanks James , appreciate it. The interesting thing from the "mid air smackdown" of my Silver B-24 were the pieces that ended up being salvageable. Of course the RX and the circuit board and transducers of the sound system were intact, but also the front nose piece with the servo and nose gunner (although his guns broke off-easily replaced), and the entire cockpit popped off mid air so that entire piece including the servo and top gunner turret ended up in one piece undamaged. I also removed the tail section which was undamaged and that included some extra paint and graphics that I will not have to replace. So when I get around to replacing the Silver, the amount of work on it will be relatively minor to replace it almost completely.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh, thanks for sharing those pics with more details. It will give me some food for thought.

Comment

I would love to see some detailed pictures of others’ paint jobs on the 3D plastic parts kit for the B-24 Liberator. I’m about ready to begin painting my set as I am building my new Liberator. Hopefully others see “imitation as the sincerest form of flattery”. Thanks for your input.
            Here are some, although I didn't do anything too fancy
            . Click image for larger version

Name:	20180211_165903.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	289400Click image for larger version

Name:	20180114_170218.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	289401Click image for larger version

Name:	20180114_133906.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	289402

Comment

Also...here are some files I printed and used. For the waist gunners, I printed these guys on paper, pasted them to very thin balsa, and then attached them to a stick. They stand in the window, and although they are only 2D it is really convincing effect. The fuselage pictures can be just glued to the appropriate places inside the fuse like a backdrop.

I forgot where I got these, I think from another modeler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96675.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	289405Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear_Cockpit_View.png
Views:	623
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	289406Click image for larger version

Name:	B24D_Nose_Detail.png
Views:	601
Size:	707.8 KB
ID:	289407Click image for larger version

Name:	b24 gunner.png
Views:	612
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	289408

Comment

• Gringotuerto, thank you for your input. I like the image files and will probably use them as well.

Comment

• Sorry but i woulda hit him up for damages, or caused some. Idiot😡

Comment

• Got in a few flights yesterday on the B-24 and my brother shot a few in flight photos

Comment

• Beautiful shots!

Comment

• hey guys I was wondering if I should get the b24. i have flown clubs and that before and I was looking at some more scale/bomber like for my 3th plane so if you can pls do

Comment

• It is a fantastic plane, easy to fly, but I wouldn't necessarily reccomended it as your 3rd plane. You can't bank it like your usual plane and you need to be comfortable with coordinated turns with rudder. You also need to be smooth with your landings. If you bounce it, you will probably break one or both outboard props.

I can't say for certain because I don't know how skilled you are.

I would reccomended a T-28 as an excellent plane for just about anyone as a typical 3rd plane. Great platform for practicing landings and learning how warbirds act. Also good for learning tricycle gear.

If you are comfortable with T28s and want to move to mutli engine planes, the flightline tigercat is superb. One of my favorite models motion sells.

Back to the B24. If bombers are your thing, then yes get it. Buy some extra props (both rotation types). It is a great plane to customize, and fun to fly. It is a staple on bomber days at our field. If you aren't sure you are ready, then get it anyway, spend some time making it yours. In the meantime practice practice practice with warbirds. Work on coordinating nice flat turns with the rudder and it will be there when you are ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by b24 guy View Post
                            hey guys I was wondering if I should get the b24. i have flown clubs and that before and I was looking at some more scale/bomber like for my 3th plane so if you can pls do
                            Agree with Gilatrout. Also I would add, it depends on the condition of your field. The B-24 (or I suppose any 4-engine plane) is really susceptible to any kind of bumping or rocking causing a prop strike (or worse). I just saw one destroyed yesterday on takeoff because our field is a little out of maintenance presently, and he hit a bump just before liftoff.

Comment

• Originally posted by b24 guy View Post
                              hey guys I was wondering if I should get the b24. i have flown clubs and that before and I was looking at some more scale/bomber like for my 3th plane so if you can pls do
                              Gringotuerto and Gilatrout offer some good advice. What are your other 2 planes you've been flying? The B-24 is actually a very nice and easy prop warbird to fly. Take-offs are uneventful, assuming a relatively flat runway (even grass where I fly it) and not having a heavy crosswind. These 2 issues are probably the only things that may cause a problem and result in some outboard prop strikes, which of course during take-off will probably end in crash. It has plenty of power and cruises nice and relatively slow at 50% throttle, resulting in 8-10 minutes of flight time on 2 4000's. As Gilatrout pointed out, to really fly it scale you will need to do rudder turns with a bit of opposite aileron to keep it flat, which results in relatively large turns. On the other hand, it will turn quite quickly like any other plane with ailerons only and a bit of up elevator, but that's not how a B-24 actually flies. This aircraft is much more nimble than the real thing. It will do loops, cuban 8's, split S's and a whole host of other things a real B-24 pilot wouldn't be caught dead doing. I believe the only real issue you may have is in landing. Unlike other tail dragging prop warbirds that need to land level on the mains first with some throttle, you must land this B-24 with the nose slightly up touching on the mains only first at landing. If the nose wheel touches at the same time or even worse, before, it will start a bucking bronco that will not end well. On the other hand, take-off with a B-24 is much easier than with a tail dragger because those have a tendency to weather vane left from the prop wash and get airborne too quickly if you're not on top of it, causing a wing stall and potential crash. Don't have a T-28, but I image that aircraft takes off and lands similar to the B-24 so it would be a good 3rd plane. My 80 mm A-10 takes-off and lands with the same techniques you will need for the B-24 and for me, both are some of the easier aircraft to fly.

After all that is said, I would not necessarily recommend the B-24 now, but I'm the last to tell someone not to get an aircraft they really want. You're talking to someone that got a 90mm F-4 for his first EDF because I thought it was cool, so what do I know. I have no doubt you will be able to take off and fly it well, the only issue may be in landing it correctly (which seems to be the major issue with just about any aircraft). So on 2nd thought, get a T-28 and a B-24 at the same time. Practice on the T-28 while you're building out the B-24, then have some fun.
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• B-24 Liberator. One of my favorite planes to fly. being very, very proficient with making almost perfect landings is a must, and staying away from stalling and starting a propose will result in breaking props and other items. Flaring this plane during landing to touch down on the mains first then let it settle in on the nose gear takes a lot of practice with any plane. One plane I like to make wheelie landings with is my 2.1 Cessna 150 and good practice no matter what you fly it is fun to take the 150 and do main wheel touch and go's, With out letting the main gear touch the run way called a greased landing with no bounce at all. Knowing how to flair your plane while landing is very important with any plane. I have taught many with such things by wireless trainer setup to save many planes for novice pilots that I have worked with. You will love the B-24. Experience and flight time will help

Name:	B-24-2.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	293996

Comment

• Where do I get the olive drab touch-up paint?

Comment

• Has anyone installed the MRRC Sound aspire system in their B-24? If so how many speakers did you use? How do you like it?

Comment

• Originally posted by sgoring View Post
                                      Where do I get the olive drab touch-up paint?
                                      Here is what I used. I had it matched at Home Depot.

Bob Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0836.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	295964

Comment

• Originally posted by sgoring View Post
                                        Has anyone installed the MRRC Sound aspire system in their B-24? If so how many speakers did you use? How do you like it?
                                        I put that sound system in both of my B-24's (Aspire Board) and 2 transducers each (speakers). I also got the multi-engine card and installed that in the Aspire. I love it. Also put heat sinks on each of the transducers. It's a little cramped back there but got everything in. Put the board behind the aft wing tube and secured it with double stinky velcro so I can pull it out if I need to (it's a tight fit getting it in but it worked) and then installed each transducer just aft of the square opening that you feed the ribbon cables through the fuselage in. Definitely worth it, especially with the multi-engine sound card.

Name:	20180223_190320.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	296090Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223_190313.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	296091
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• If your interested in what it sounds like:

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X