• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
    Good looking model Davegee.
    Rex
    Thanks, really flew great today.

davegee

Comment

• Hey Dave, did you ever get the wing connection problem worked out?

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• FMS P47 maiden - YouTube
        maiden finished now,, flew great got the take off and a couple of slow passes but forgot to get the smooth landing lol,, great airplane​

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
          Hey Dave, did you ever get the wing connection problem worked out?

Grossman56
          Hi Dan: yes, I totally took the leads apart, cleaned them, tried some vibration tests, etc., and the problem seemed to go away. I try to keep these planes together as much as possible to preclude a wearing or alignment problem. And so far, things are working ok. Waiting now for the bigger spinners from my printer guy back East and then will start flying test flights on the other two planes with the CE prop domes and bigger props.

Once I get the tests done when I get the new props, that would be a great time for a static photo shoot and maybe even some in flight photos of a couple of them in formation. That would be very cool. Probably won't be until early Spring, though.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Nothing major or particularly interesting but I fitted some 3.75 inch Robarts with the radial tread. I wanted the cross hatch (diamond) tread wheels but couldn't get them anywhere without paying a Click image for larger version

Name:	20230209_145535.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	369842 fortune in international shipping. Lands even better! Those awful stock wheels were like concrete blocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by spanner76 View Post
              Nothing major or particularly interesting but I fitted some 3.75 inch Robarts with the radial tread. I wanted the cross hatch (diamond) tread wheels but couldn't get them anywhere without paying a Click image for larger version

Name:	20230209_145535.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	369842 fortune in international shipping. Lands even better! Those awful stock wheels were like concrete blocks!
              Those look nice Spanner 76. I have the original wheels and tires (crosshatch pattern) on all three of my FMS 1500mm P-47s. I haven't had any problems with those, However on the Flightline Corsair and the E Flite P-51D I did replace those with Robarts and it made a big difference.

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Those look nice Spanner 76. I have the original wheels and tires (crosshatch pattern) on all three of my FMS 1500mm P-47s. I haven't had any problems with those, However on the Flightline Corsair and the E Flite P-51D I did replace those with Robarts and it made a big difference.

davegee
                Yeah I probably didn't really need to replace the wheels as it lands so nice but I always had the thought of doing it in my mind as they are rock hard. I'm glad I did replace them as it ultimately does land and taxi better. Also fitted a small softer tail wheel but it doesn't stop the bouncing so I fitted the original back on.

Comment

• Originally posted by spanner76 View Post

Yeah I probably didn't really need to replace the wheels as it lands so nice but I always had the thought of doing it in my mind as they are rock hard. I'm glad I did replace them as it ultimately does land and taxi better. Also fitted a small softer tail wheel but it doesn't stop the bouncing so I fitted the original back on.
                  Certainly can't hurt putting some softer tires on the plane. I've found putting Robarts on my Corsair and E Flite P-51D for instance that it helped "stick" the landings instead of bouncing. The P-47s for me weren't as bad on the bouncing issue with OEM tires, but I have noticed that the tailwheel does bounce up sometimes taxiing on our very rough asphalt runway with lots of cracks in it. Annoying, but I can live with that.

Your replacement tires look good!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• I'm all for that! I have Dave Browns on a lot of my planes (The Pitts, RV-8, both Pandoras, one of the Bearcats) and I love the way they 'suck' to the ground.
                    I'll have to look for something that would work for my FMS 1400mm Mustang. They would have to have believable wheel hubs though.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• I really think that if the retracts could somehow incorporate rebound dampening, like a true shock and struts combo, that the planes would bounce no more. But how would that be accomplished on such a small scale, for an affordable price.... Robarts and Dave Browns seem to add a fair bit of that absorbing/dampening effect to the springy retracts. I can attest to the improvements in landing characteristics to a few of my larger planes. I've actually been on a half hearted mission to add them to some of the larger trike gear planes as well. It's less important than the tail draggers but I see it potentially improving them as well.

Comment

• Definitely a difference. One of my Bearcats has them and the other doesn't (she'll be getting them though). The landing experience is definitely different and with the Bearcat and those long legs which are just wire with no spring at all, if you don't use something to dampen the landing (or just taxiing at our field!) you'll soon see wing cracks where the retract attaches.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Grossman56 Did you use a straight swap, wheel size, with the Dave Browns on the bearcat?

Comment

• Yes, I got two sets actually, one was slightly bigger and one was smaller than the stock. The smaller ones didn't look right but the bigger ones worked fine. The hubs aren't scale but the benefits make up for that. The wheels are slightly wider as well so the locking collar is a bit tight, you may have to file off a bit of the gear door, it's been a while.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9500.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.9 KB ID:	370329Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5304.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.6 KB ID:	370330

You can also see the 650 kv with the 1400mm FMS Corsair prop. This is Bearcat I lightened up the color to match the real B.A bearcat Click image for larger version  Name:	Blue Angel F8F Bearcat-2_zpswpcnpvp2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.0 KB ID:	370331

One of these days, I'll have to get the Blue Angels crest for her.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Looks Great, Grossman56. Wish FL would bring one out with scale gear in 1600mm. Rex

Comment

• I've been hinting around for that for years. That and a Hellcat in 1600 mm. Funny that out of all the 1200mm birds, only the Spitfire was made into a 1600 mm. Wouldn't a 1600 mm Sea Fury be awesome as well. We can hope.

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Elbee
                                  Elbee commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Copy that.

• I did some embellishments onto my Corsair V3 prop which is closer in proper size to the real props were for the 1500mm FMS P-47Ds. I made some cuffs at the base of the props out of .010" thick styrene, glued and painted it and applied a nomenclature decal for each prop blade. The pic with prop dome isn't what will be on this airplane eventually. That one is a Hamilton Standard prop dome being used for another of my planes with the big prop conversion. Two of my planes will be outfitted with this modified prop and the new printed bullet shaped Curtiss Electric dome. We're just finishing up a snowstorm here, but a slow melting and sun starting tomorrow. Once I get the patio deck cleared off, I'll start in with some full power static runups before taking it for some test flights in its final scale configuration. I've had over 6 flights with the big prop on it so far and results have been good.

Looking forward to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0499.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	370492Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0497.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	370493

Comment

• davegee What a great look. Super nice detail for this aircraft and very well done. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                    davegee What a great look. Super nice detail for this aircraft and very well done. Best, LB
                                    Thanks, Elbee. I'm not sure I've seen a scratchbuilt Curtiss Electric printed scale prop dome (which is in the mail to me) and cuffs on the blades has been done that I've seen on at least a foamie P-47 before. The acid test of course, is how these perform at high propeller rpm, and if they have any adverse effect on the model's performance in-flight. That remains to be seen, but at the least, it's fun to play around with ideas like this! I expect it to work, but if it doesn't, I can always take the cuffs off if they are a problem.

With several successful test flights with the V3 Corsair 1700mm prop on these jugs under my belt, I'm pretty sure the planes can be flown with these much more scale looking props without any problems. They seem to have a better presence in the air and the sound that they make when they whooosh by!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Davegee,

Going to look great all painted up. I don't think you will have a problem after getting it finished and balanced, Your getting the P-47 looking like it should.

Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
                                        Davegee,

Going to look great all painted up. I don't think you will have a problem after getting it finished and balanced, Your getting the P-47 looking like it should.

Rex
                                        I did a partial runup indoors this morning and it was running like a top. Really looking forward to getting the scale CE prop dome installed and making some flights on it. Probably will have to wait for a bit. I had to dig out about 2 feet deep of snow to get our cars out of the driveway after the snowplow came through. Grrr...

Winter's not over yet, still expecting a bit more snow in a few days. But I'm going out the field now to fly my Timber on floats in the snow.

Davegee

Comment

Working...
                                        X