Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user deleted

Comment

• Another detail I like to do, going back to big gassers at contests I used to participate in, is articulating the trim tabs slightly on the model. For instance, on the P-47 aircraft, they had two or tandem elevator trim tabs, one on each elevator that were moved together as the pilot turned a small wheel in the cockpit. For aileron trim, just one tab was standard on the left aileron, not the right. And I think this method was used on most fighters of that era. For rudder trim, a single rudder trim tab was installed on the rudder, and moved with a knob in the cockpit, same with the aileron trim, a knob in the cockpit.

There was a fixed trim tab adjusted at the factory on the right wing, which had no actual moveable trim tab as the left wing had. There were a couple of small factory fixed trim tabs on the back of the elevators, not adjustable by the pilot.

Anyway, all these tabs can be moved "slightly" to give the impression that they actually work. The effect on the airplane in flight is negligible, and I've done this on every plane of this type, for many years. The early Corsairs have a more complicated elevator trim system. They have two trim tabs, one on each elevator like the P-47 and other aircraft, but they also have a balance tab on each elevator, which is mechanically linked to the movement of the elevator up and down to lessen control pressures to the pilot. Another cool thing about the Corsair is that the horizontal stabilizer/elevator assemblies are completely interchangeable. In other words, if say a right elevator got damaged and had to be replaced, if they had a replacement on base, it would fit and operate properly. There was no "left" or "right" horizontal stab/elevator. That certainly helped in far away island bases in the Pacific where getting supplies like replacement airplane parts were tough to get sometimes, if you had "One" in stock, you were in business!

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	365063Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0308.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	365064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0314.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	365065Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair tail.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	365066

Comment

• Got the wings back on today. Did a CG check in the shop, ran the controls through and moving closer to taking it outside for range check, taxi tests, and a full power static check. Not sure when the weather will be ok to do the maiden, I want very low winds and almost perfect conditions to do that. But I'll be ready whenever I get a window to go out to the field and fly it.

Callie emailed me today and we are now in the queue to get the markings done as her schedule permits.

davegee

Name:	IMG-0318.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	365098Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0317.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	365099

Comment

• davegee seriously beautiful work, Dave, as per your usual. Best and Happy New Year, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
            davegee seriously beautiful work, Dave, as per your usual. Best and Happy New Year, LB
            Thanks, LB! Question: I was looking at the Max Grueter lineup of pilots and thought I had seen STLs available for a WWII USAAF fighter pilot figure. But tonight I didn't see one. Do you know where those STLs might be found so I can purchase the files to make a decent pilot?

Happy New Year!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• My basement is starting to resemble the Republic factory!! Hoping to get the maiden on Thunderbolt number 3 (furthest one away in picture) once I get a break in the weather and winds.

Cheers

davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.7 KB ID:	365108

Comment

• Looks like you will have your own squadron before long. Hope Motion introduces some new 1600 warbirds this spring. A nice Zero, George or Jack would be great. FW- 190 too. Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
                  Looks like you will have your own squadron before long. Hope Motion introduces some new 1600 warbirds this spring. A nice Zero, George or Jack would be great. FW- 190 too. Rex
                  If they do, we'll have to do battle!! (LOL) Seriously, I would really like to see some new warbirds come out soon.

cheers

davegee

Comment

• Model available for download in Stereolithography format. Visit CGTrader and browse more than 1 million 3D models, including 3D print and real-time assets

Originally posted by davegee View Post
                    Thanks, LB! Question: I was looking at the Max Grueter lineup of pilots and thought I had seen STLs available for a WWII USAAF fighter pilot figure. But tonight I didn't see one. Do you know where those STLs might be found so I can purchase the files to make a decent pilot?Happy New Year!Cheersdavegee
                    Dave, He has a USAAF pilot named "P-51 Mustang Pilot". The print is good-lookin' and the pilot is dressed for "The Winter Campaign" if that is not an issue. Not certain what head and arm options there are. Check it out. Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mo...-mustang-pilot

Dave, He has a USAAF pilot named "P-51 Mustang Pilot". The print is good-lookin' and the pilot is dressed for "The Winter Campaign" if that is not an issue. Not certain what head and arm options there are. Check it out. Best, LB
                      Thanks so much for that link, LB. I looked at him carefully, very well done. I think I'm looking for a pilot more with lighter clothing for my P-47. I got to know many P-47 and P-51 pilots over the years, and both airplanes had great heating systems keeping the pilots comfortable even at altitude. They generally wore their thinner A-2 or B-15 flight jackets, even during the winter. I think I'll keep this 3D pilot in mind for a plane where they really needed them, like in bombers. A smaller version would be perfect for a B-17 or B-24, for instance.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Thanks so much for that link, LB. I looked at him carefully, very well done. I think I'm looking for a pilot more with lighter clothing for my P-47. I got to know many P-47 and P-51 pilots over the years, and both airplanes had great heating systems keeping the pilots comfortable even at altitude. They generally wore their thinner A-2 or B-15 flight jackets, even during the winter. I think I'll keep this 3D pilot in mind for a plane where they really needed them, like in bombers. A smaller version would be perfect for a B-17 or B-24, for instance.

Cheers

Davegee
                        Dave, I hear you. I will use the US Navy Pilot for USAAF fighters and change the paint colors as required. I have some of my Dad's B-17 flight gear.

The Summer helmet is khaki cloth just like the Navy's with leather straps and a darker chin strap.

The goggles are very similar, Mae West is a little different, but close enough, I think.

In my book, the Navy guy would suffice for a USAAF pilot without a definitive alternative.

I would like to have choices with one wearing an A2 that fit without it looking like it's a 'goose down' coat, though.

Best, LB
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Dave, I hear you. I will use the US Navy Pilot for USAAF fighters and change the paint colors as required. I have some of my Dad's B-17 flight gear. The Summer helmet is khaki cloth just like the Navy's with leather straps and a darker chin strap. The goggles are the same, Mae West is a little different, but close enough, I think. In my book, the Navy guy would suffice for a USAAF pilot without a definitive alternative. Best, LB
                          The Navy pilot that you printed up is excellent, having all the details that I look for in a pilot figure. There are some pretty good pilots from Warbirds PIlots online that have cloth and leather looking clothing, and I have used 1/6 and 1/5 scale pilots like these for bigger planes in the past. I hate the prospect of using one of the-kit supplied goofy looking pilots that I am able to make somewhat presentable, but are a far cry from the excellent Navy pilot that you printed up for your Corsair.

I'll keep looking, maybe I'll find a 1/8 scale pilot body where I can find clothing that will fit it. I couldn't think of a better pilot for your Corsair, it is a stunning addition to the work!

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Dave, I hear you. I will use the US Navy Pilot for USAAF fighters and change the paint colors as required. I have some of my Dad's B-17 flight gear.

The Summer helmet is khaki cloth just like the Navy's with leather straps and a darker chin strap.

The goggles are very similar, Mae West is a little different, but close enough, I think.

In my book, the Navy guy would suffice for a USAAF pilot without a definitive alternative.

I would like to have choices with one wearing an A2 that fit without it looking like it's a 'goose down' coat, though.

Best, LB
                            What unit did your dad fly with?

Comment

• Elbee
                              Elbee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              8th AF / 306th BG / 423rd BS

What unit did your dad fly with?
                            Very cool! My still-living father in law, now 100 years old flew a little north of your dad out of Polebrook (351st BG). My dad was east of your dad flying out of Bungay (446th BG) and later out of Alconbury 482nd BG. Small world.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Elbee
                              Elbee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes, Thurleigh for Dad. And you are correct, small world to us now, big world to them then. Dad didn't talk much about it with me growing up. He did share more with my step-Mom, not so much with my Mom. Consequently, took a couple decades to open up about his time in. He loved England and his time in the Philippines (13th AF, I think) equally, but for different reasons. Best, LB

Very cool! My still-living father in law, now 100 years old flew a little north of your dad out of Polebrook (351st BG). My dad was east of your dad flying out of Bungay (446th BG) and later out of Alconbury 482nd BG. Small world.

Cheers

Davegee
                            I don't know if you're familiar with the works of Roger Freeman, a gentleman English farmer in Essex who was about 14 years old or so when the war was going on. He wrote some definitive history books on the 8th USAAF operating out of England. I got to meet and know him some many years ago when I got over to England on a fairly regular basis until he passed away. He was a favorite of 8th AAF vets who loved his books and personality, too, when you got to meet him. He was always accessible by phone or a visit.

Davegee

Comment

• I started in on a medium redo of the cockpit. That goofy looking pilot that comes with the kit I'm keeping for the time being. I have performed some "surgery" on him to move the arms some, and "erased" the oxygen tube to make a scratchbuilt one more realistic when viewing it. I have ordered a 1/8 scale WWII pilot from Warbird PIlots and will see if he is usable for this plane, or not. You can remove parts of him as it is just a cloth body to fit planes, as necessary. These small pilots have real clothing, but it is tough to make something that small that doesn't look like he is wearing his big brother's clothing. I'll check it out when I get him and determine if he'll work for this project, or another one down the road. If not, I can modify the kit pilot so that it will work. Not great, but ok.

I don't plan on making a sliding canopy on this plane so I am limiting the amount of rework of the standard cockpit I need to do as it will just be seen through the canopy windows. But I'll attach some pics of what I am working on right now. For one, the color is all wrong. Republic used a "dull dark green" color for the cockpit. I cleared everything out and repainted and detailed the side panels, and the forward control panel. I removed the later model gunsight that comes with the kit (these didn't appear until months later with some of the bubbletop planes) and replaced it with a part printed/part scratchbuilt earlier gunsight used on the razorback P-47s and other fighters of the time. I had to cut out a JI-NORMOUS head rest molded into the back wall of the cockpit. It was like having a MY PILLOW back there, so I cut it out, filled and sanded and painted, and made a more scale looking head rest out of wood.

I have time to work on this cockpit some more, as I am in the queue to get my markings made by Callie, that will be a few weeks, and I had to buy some more rattlecan Tamiya paints, namely, the OD green. We don't have a hobby store in the little town that I live in so I have to order it online. I still need to tape off and spray the canopy frames once I get the paint. Other things to do are the bulletproof glass shielding in front of the pilot and other details, none of which I haven't done before, many times! Many other exterior details to the plane itself, too.

Name:	IMG-0320.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	365436Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0326.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	365437Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0322.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	365438Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0325.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	365439Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0323.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	365440Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0324.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	365441

Comment

• Your modifications are looking great. Gunsight is fantastic. Enjoy seeing this detail work. Rex

Comment

I started in on a medium redo of the cockpit. That goofy looking pilot that comes with the kit I'm keeping for the time being. I have performed some "surgery" on him to move the arms some, and "erased" the oxygen tube to make a scratchbuilt one more realistic when viewing it. I have ordered a 1/8 scale WWII pilot from Warbird PIlots and will see if he is usable for this plane, or not. You can remove parts of him as it is just a cloth body to fit planes, as necessary. These small pilots have real clothing, but it is tough to make something that small that doesn't look like he is wearing his big brother's clothing. I'll check it out when I get him and determine if he'll work for this project, or another one down the road. If not, I can modify the kit pilot so that it will work. Not great, but ok.

I don't plan on making a sliding canopy on this plane so I am limiting the amount of rework of the standard cockpit I need to do as it will just be seen through the canopy windows. But I'll attach some pics of what I am working on right now. For one, the color is all wrong. Republic used a "dull dark green" color for the cockpit. I cleared everything out and repainted and detailed the side panels, and the forward control panel. I removed the later model gunsight that comes with the kit (these didn't appear until months later with some of the bubbletop planes) and replaced it with a part printed/part scratchbuilt earlier gunsight used on the razorback P-47s and other fighters of the time. I had to cut out a JI-NORMOUS head rest molded into the back wall of the cockpit. It was like having a MY PILLOW back there, so I cut it out, filled and sanded and painted, and made a more scale looking head rest out of wood.

I have time to work on this cockpit some more, as I am in the queue to get my markings made by Callie, that will be a few weeks, and I had to buy some more rattlecan Tamiya paints, namely, the OD green. We don't have a hobby store in the little town that I live in so I have to order it online. I still need to tape off and spray the canopy frames once I get the paint. Other things to do are the bulletproof glass shielding in front of the pilot and other details, none of which I haven't done before, many times! Many other exterior details to the plane itself, too.
                                  Great lookin' work, Sir. It might be fun if one day we could all (uncertain of who "all" might be) collaborate on the same make & model aircraft, but differing aircraft all from the same squadron. The idea/knowledge/modification pool would be more than adequate, I think. Could add a thread just for post/comments/results. I build so slowly, that others might lose patience with me, but I am great with schedules/deadlines. Food for thought. Best, Steve
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Great lookin' work, Sir. It might be fun if one day we could all (uncertain of who "all" might be) collaborate on the same make & model aircraft, but differing aircraft all from the same squadron. The idea/knowledge/modification pool would be more than adequate, I think. Could add a thread just for post/comments/results. I build so slowly, that others might lose patience with me, but I am great with schedules/deadlines. Food for thought. Best, Steve
                                    Thanks, Steve. The three jugs that I have now (two operational and the third with no markings yet awaiting better weather for its maiden) are all from the 56th Fighter Group, LM was the 62nd Fighter Squadron for two of them, and the third will be HV, denoting the 61st Fighter Squadron. The third squadron is marked UN, and I have done an M model gasser in 1/5 scale that flew in competitions years ago, but has been in the Valiant Air Command Museum in Titusville, FL since about 2009, under a domed cover.

I like your idea of a group of warbird aficionados making planes from the same unit. I'm sure we have plenty of brain power to pull that off, maybe someone would like to start it out someday. I'd like to see that happen. I think I'd be a player if we had enough interest.

Also, good idea on adding a thread just for post/comments/results, but I don't know how I would format or set that up. Do others do it, too? Any tips to get started would be appreciated!

Thanks,

davegee

Comment

• Elbee
                                      Elbee commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Starting a thread is like posting a comment. Go to the HS 'Home" and click the button New Topic on the upper lefthand side of the page. I am going to do that for my next build (whatever that might be) and will recreate my Corsair build that way, as well as my F-18C build.

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
                                    Your modifications are looking great. Gunsight is fantastic. Enjoy seeing this detail work. Rex
                                    Yeah, the old "iron sight" was handy to have if the regular gunsight crapped out, which was always possible! I like to add little details like that, thanks for noticing it.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

Working...
                                    X