ID:	366004Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	366002
    Attached Files

Comment

• Elbee,

I am having fun with both of you and learning a lot of new things. It is nice to share ideas with others that enjoy this detailing phase. Wish we were all in the same club. I have only one scale builder/flyer in our club and we brainstorm together on each project. Our other members think we are nuts to put our time in the details. Their Loss !
      Dave, I think I showed pictures of you and your P-47. I studied these pics. when I built my Yellow P-47. Hope you enjoy them.
      The last picture is what I will mail out to both of you tomorrow, hope they are up to your standards and work in your models. If you need more just ask.
      Best Regards, Rex
      Last edited by jetfool; Jan 4, 2023, 11:10 PM. Reason: Dave, Forgot to tell you the new details on the 47 are outstanding. Rex

Comment

• Dave, forgot to say your latest details are outstanding! Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
          Elbee,

I am having fun with both of you and learning a lot of new things. It is nice to share ideas with others that enjoy this detailing phase. Wish we were all in the same club. I have only one scale builder/flyer in our club and we brainstorm together on each project. Our other members think we are nuts to put our time in the details. Their Loss !
          Dave, I think I showed pictures of you and your P-47. I studied these pics. when I built my Yellow P-47. Hope you enjoy them.
          The last picture is what I will mail out to both of you tomorrow, hope they are up to your standards and work in your models. If you need more just ask.
          Best Regards, Rex
          Hi Rex: yeah, that brings back a lot of good memories! That Yellow P-47 model was a collaboration of Bob Frey (on the left) and me back around 2005 or so. We made it for a customer in Norway. I went down to Phoenix where Bob lived and we did the maiden on it to be sure it flew true. I then brought it back to Denver with me to do all the painting, detailing, etc., before we shipped it in a special crate overseas. Unfortunately, you can't really see all the great details inside and out in that picture, although I remember we had things like a scale retractable landing light on the left wing behind the main gear, definitely retractable canopy, possibly pneumatically operated, can't remember now. But it flew great and the customer loved it.

Thanks for sending. You obviously go back a long way in the hobby, too. I am really enjoying seeing the creative minds on this Hobbysquawk site and especially what you and LB are masterfully creating with your projects. This whole site has a lot of very intelligent, creative, and capable people where we can all learn from each other.

PS: looking forward to receiving those gear parts! Thanks!!!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Davegee,
            Been building and flying all my life (67yrs old) Dad taught me at a very young age. I still have all his ignition eng. from the early forties. I keep them in running shape and most look new. Grandson is taking an interest now.
            This site is great and many great builds from all.
            Rex

Comment

Davegee,
              Been building and flying all my life (67yrs old) Dad taught me at a very young age. I still have all his ignition eng. from the early forties. I keep them in running shape and most look new. Grandson is taking an interest now.
              This site is great and many great builds from all.
              Rex
              You, LB, and I are all of a similar age, plus or minus a couple. I flew my first rc plane in 1976 with a buddy who helped me glue and cover a SIG Kadet together from sticks. We had absolutely no guidance, nothing to tell us how to do it properly, so we let it rip in a big wind one day on an abandoned runway in Denver. It didn't go well, cracked the tail nearly off. I repaired it and sold it to someone and was out of the hobby after that initial brief foray for about 25 years. But I got into it pretty big for a few years of competitions in team scale at the national level. We did pretty well, but finished out of the top three places or lower in the big contests like Scale Masters and Topgun. Always did very well in the static judging, though! We ere always in the hunt if we just had a little better flight scores. There was and still is tremendous talent there!

Did very well at a bunch of other competitions around the country. Lots of fun, but lots of work, too.

Comment

• Davegee,

I was built/flying in those days too. I read all the magazines available at that time. I met Dennis Crooks back then and got permission from our local airport for him to practice flying his TBF Avenger just before they left for Reno and the Scale Masters. Always wanted to fly in those but work and raising kids kept me home. Dennis lives about 30 miles from me. USScale Masters was the ultimate back thin. Would love to have met Kent Walters and others at that time. I do go to Mike Barbee scale meet and enter (just a beginner in these contests) and my buddy and I are having a blast. We go to some of the Indiana Warbird meets also. Don’t really expect to beat the other guys but it’s great meeting everyone. Mike is a great guy to be around. Rex

Comment

Davegee,

I was built/flying in those days too. I read all the magazines available at that time. I met Dennis Crooks back then and got permission from our local airport for him to practice flying his TBF Avenger just before they left for Reno and the Scale Masters. Always wanted to fly in those but work and raising kids kept me home. Dennis lives about 30 miles from me. USScale Masters was the ultimate back thin. Would love to have met Kent Walters and others at that time. I do go to Mike Barbee scale meet and enter (just a beginner in these contests) and my buddy and I are having a blast. We go to some of the Indiana Warbird meets also. Don’t really expect to beat the other guys but it’s great meeting everyone. Mike is a great guy to be around. Rex
                  Yes, I remember Dennis Crooks, Kent Walters, and many other contestants at USSMA and TopGun. We competed in Kansas City Scale Masters with a P-47D Hairless Joe. Again, static scoring which is half of the total score was quite good and competitive. The flying part, with so much very tough competition, put us back in the pack some, which was disappointing. Flew a plane called Fire Ball, a P-47M, in Scale Masters and Top Gun. We were on track to win our team scale division when we ran into a series of unexplained flameouts about halfway through an otherwise near flawless performance. This led to a very scary deadstick landing of a 27 pound airplane! On one of them we landed short and took out the landing gear. I worked through the night in my hotel room to get it suitable for flying again, and we ended up in 4th overall place. Still, it was a lot of fun doing these and other shows and competitions with these extremely detailed and impressive airplanes. I put Hairless Joe in the Kalamazoo Air Zoo museum in Michigan, and Fire Ball in the Valiant Air Command museum in Titusville, FL, adjacent to the Kennedy Space Center. I was down there for the Artemis moon launch in August and dropped by to see it and the rest of this very fine museum with lots of real flying warbirds or all types. Aside from a darkening of the plastic canopy over the years, it still looked great under the domed display case. I'm still very proud of those airplanes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P-47 Hairless Joe on Runway 22 at Boxted.001adjusted.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	366058Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Landing for Fire Ball at Valiant Air Command Museum Titusville Florida (8).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	366059

Comment

• davegee, beautiful airframes. Fine craftsmanship throughout. Do you remember from those days the name of the builder/flyer of the large Navy F-4 Phantom (Black Bunny) and later he built and campaigned a stunning SBD Dauntless? Best, Steve
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                      davegee, beautiful airframes. Fine craftsmanship throughout. Do you remember from those days the name of the builder/flyer of the large Navy F-4 Phantom (Black Bunny) and later he built and campaigned a stunning SBD Dauntless? Best, Steve
                      Hi Steve: I have seen those airplanes but don't remember who built/flew them. I'll see if I can dig up some info. Get back to you on that if I find anything.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Hi Steve: I have seen those airplanes but don't remember who built/flew them. I'll see if I can dig up some info. Get back to you on that if I find anything.

Cheers

davegee
                        A cursory search on the 'net showed this pretty cool video of a VX-4 Phantom, a Skymaster type flown by some kiwis in NZ. Probably not what you were looking for, but is entertaining, anyway.

This is the maiden flight of Peter Brown's very large, very nice, very expensive Skymaster jet-powered F4 Phantom radio controlled model airplane.Nicely deta...

I'll keep looking.

Dave

Comment

• I've been working on various parts of the P-47 OLE COCK while I wait for the graphics from Callie to arrive. This is actually good for me as I can do most of the detailing I want to do before I start applying the graphics.

The past few days I've been working on the cockpit. I really hate that goofy looking kit-supplied pilot, but he fits, and I rearranged his arms to be a little more realistic and my wife totally repainted him. I am expecting a 1/8 scale Warbird Pilot to arrive in the mail, but I think since this canopy is going to be closed anyway, I'll save him for another project down the road.

I did add some details to the cockpit like a Mk .VIII gunsight as was used earlier in the war as this model depicts, a scale seat back, headrest, and if you can check it out a scale cord for the headset with a period looking two part red/black phone jack. Also, the oxygen hosing was completely redone to a scale appearance as was on the real aircraft. I'll be closing up this part with the canopy later this week and that should be it for this section. Last, included some scale looking shoulder harnesses for the pilot.

Attached are some pics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0392.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.8 KB ID:	366368Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0391.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.5 KB ID:	366369Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0390.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.6 KB ID:	366370Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0398.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.5 KB ID:	366371Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0395.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.6 KB ID:	366372

Comment

• Davegee,

Pilot looks great. Congrats to your wife on her painting. I like the headphone wires, ox. mask, gunsight, It all looks good. Are you adding the armor glass in front of the pilot?

Rex

Comment

Davegee,

Pilot looks great. Congrats to your wife on her painting. I like the headphone wires, ox. mask, gunsight, It all looks good. Are you adding the armor glass in front of the pilot?

Rex
                              Thanks. Yes, it is already in place. It is attached to the canopy already so you'll see it in place once I attach the canopy again. But if you look back to post number 786, you can see a pic of it in the windscreen in an early photo.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Davegee,

Here isa photo of mine when I was building my Yellow P-47. Also I installed the antena post on the right side of fus for the ant. wire to hook to. Rex

Name:	IMG_2711.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	366405

Name:	IMG_2712.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	366406

Name:	IMG_2713.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	366407

Comment

• davegee the P-47 is shaping up nicely, Sir. Detailed pilots are a complicated venture to say the least. The assist from your CO is a wonderful thing and the work is excellent.

I am impressed once again at the detail you add. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                    davegee the P-47 is shaping up nicely, Sir. Detailed pilots are a complicated venture to say the least. The assist from your CO is a wonderful thing and the work is excellent.

I am impressed once again at the detail you add. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
                                    Thanks, LB. I just got the new Warbird Pilots figure in the mail today. I think he is a bit too large to fit in the cockpit comfortably. Even if I remove his legs below the knee, he'd sorta look like a "spam in a can" pushed into that small cockpit. I'm going to hold him over for another project down the road where I could have a slide-able canopy to show the details like you made on your Corsair. I suppose I could still revisit making a sliding canopy on this razorback, I'll have to give it some thought down the road.

Yes, always good to be in favor with your CO!!!👍👍🤣

Cheers

davegee

Comment

Davegee,

Here isa photo of mine when I was building my Yellow P-47. Also I installed the antena post on the right side of fus for the ant. wire to hook to. Rex

Name:	IMG_2711.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	366405

Name:	IMG_2712.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	366406

Name:	IMG_2713.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	366407
                                      Hi Rex: thanks for sending the pics on your Yellow P-47 razorback project. I'm very curious about some of the history, like what became of it, did you fly it, what paint scheme you used on it if you finished it, etc.?

Also really like the details for the radio antenna and the rivets. How did you simulate those rivets? I used to use a small brass tube attached to the end of a small hobby soldering iron, and gently pressed it against the plane that was in primer. You could get pretty consistent, and making thousands of them to simulate how the plane was riveted together.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Davegee,

I bought the kit at Toledo from Yellow the last year they attended. Bought all the scale parts they offered too. I remember it was the most $$$ I had ever spent on a kit. Wife wasn't mad, I just had about 3 mo. of Honey Do's to do. Started the build that winter and would bring it out each winter to work on it. Job, kids and life kept getting in the way so it took several years of building. A couple of years ago I put the build on Radio Control Scale Builder and put a DLE61 in it. Maiden was flown then the details started. I still own this plane and I keep adding more details. Hope to get it active in some of the warbird events this summer. I did the rivits as you describe and it does go fairly fast. I did the Silver Lady scheme which many aces flew it in 1944. Look up RCSB and go to Yellow forum, My screen name is Jetfool. I scratched the cockpit and made the little details. I guess I'm a slow builder but I enjoy the journey.

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Davegee,

I bought the kit at Toledo from Yellow the last year they attended. Bought all the scale parts they offered too. I remember it was the most $$$ I had ever spent on a kit. Wife wasn't mad, I just had about 3 mo. of Honey Do's to do. Started the build that winter and would bring it out each winter to work on it. Job, kids and life kept getting in the way so it took several years of building. A couple of years ago I put the build on Radio Control Scale Builder and put a DLE61 in it. Maiden was flown then the details started. I still own this plane and I keep adding more details. Hope to get it active in some of the warbird events this summer. I did the rivits as you describe and it does go fairly fast. I did the Silver Lady scheme which many aces flew it in 1944. Look up RCSB and go to Yellow forum, My screen name is Jetfool. I scratched the cockpit and made the little details. I guess I'm a slow builder but I enjoy the journey.

Best Regards, Rex
                                          Thanks, Rex. I'll look it up in RCSB.

Also, I did get the bearings you sent me for the Corsair. Thanks so much, appreciate them! I'm not sure how to actually change out the bearings on my Corsair as I had washers and other things to make everything fit. Could you give me a brief primer on how to set this up? I see the silver parts look like possibly wheel collars, although I don't see a set screw on the side for them, so maybe they have a different purpose/location? Thanks!

cheers

davegee

Comment

Working...
                                          X