Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it would be fun to have a group build someday. If Motion would make a 1600mm P-47 with lots of scale features plus add on's by the qualified design/modifiers, my reason for the P-47 is I think it is a more forgiving in landing and flight or maybe a nice 1600 Zero. I think a lot of people might enjoy joining a build. Just my .02. Rex

Comment

• davegee jetfool All in on a group build. Brain power we would have, time is my nemesis, i.e., I am deliberate (slow) and that is being kind to myself . Anyway, count me in. I have a Freewing F-14 NIB I want to covert to an "A". I have Freewing's old B-17 in Silver NIB that speaks to me but wouldn't know where to find another. Would consider any military aircraft, but prefer starting with a larger Freewing or Flightlne foamie. No hurry just a chin scratcher for a later date. Best. LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I am in no hurry either. Will need to save up again after this X-Mas. Already Thinking about a Tigercat or P-38 possibly around June - July. I'm getting addicted to these foam planes. LOL Rex

Comment

• Elbee
          Elbee commented
          Editing a comment
          The FlightLine P-38 has my attention for sure, also the Freewing HP F-86. I have not seen either in person so don't about what details would need to be made, but there is always something, right?

• Elbee,
        With the optional working oleo landing gear and the angles of the gear that others have shown is doable I think it would be a good model to add more scale features. Like you I haven't seen one but an opening canopy, working fowler flaps, ect. would be a good challenge. Maybe Motion will release a 1600 Bearcat (F-8-F-1 tail or F-8-F-2 tail, your option) and a scale articulating landing gear. Think I would pull out the ole charge card for one. Daydreaming today! Wife says I have to go to a party tomorrow night so Happy New Year Everyone Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
          Elbee,
          With the optional working oleo landing gear and the angles of the gear that others have shown is doable I think it would be a good model to add more scale features. Like you I haven't seen one but an opening canopy, working fowler flaps, ect. would be a good challenge. Maybe Motion will release a 1600 Bearcat (F-8-F-1 tail or F-8-F-2 tail, your option) and a scale articulating landing gear. Think I would pull out the ole charge card for one. Daydreaming today! Wife says I have to go to a party tomorrow night so Happy New Year Everyone Rex
          Rex, it seems the thing with more scale like LG is cost.

Retooling is expensive, current inventories are king what with 'economies of scale' (no pun intended, but I'll take it), and the slow crawl back from the whole Asian Flu thing.

I had access to a mini mill/lathe years ago when I was racing the little cars and that was great. Today with a small metal working lathe and 3D printing I think I would just build one-off LG, but it is a time monster for certain.

There is also fly-liability, I have chewed up LG on my A-10 more than once and the LG on the Spit is getting looser, but those parts are inexpensive to replace, it is the dings and scuffs that take time.

Oh, is that me whining about all my 1st world problems, shame on me.

Best to you and yours, LB
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Happy New Year, everyone!!

I added a little detail to my new P-47 model, this being a simulated bulletproof glass shield that was mounted in front of the pilot on the windscreen. It is sorta trapezoid shaped, to fit in the shape of the windshield frames, but was yet another piece of protection for the pilot in combat. I've attached a pic of it for those interested. The frame is plastic sprue, and I used a piece of plexiglas cut to fit inside the frame. It was then glued in place. I also "borrowed" a rear view mirror from my parts pile for the Flightline Spitfire Mk. IX and glued it on, too. The real plane that I am modeling had one, so I put this one on to match it.

Cheers

davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	365627

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
              Happy New Year, everyone!!

I added a little detail to my new P-47 model, this being a simulated bulletproof glass shield that was mounted in front of the pilot on the windscreen. It is sorta trapezoid shaped, to fit in the shape of the windshield frames, but was yet another piece of protection for the pilot in combat. I've attached a pic of it for those interested. The frame is plastic sprue, and I used a piece of plexiglas cut to fit inside the frame. It was then glued in place. I also "borrowed" a rear view mirror from my parts pile for the Flightline Spitfire Mk. IX and glued it on, too. The real plane that I am modeling had one, so I put this one on to match it.

Cheers

davegee
              Great mod, Dave. Best, LB
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Nice addition

Comment

• SUCCESSFUL MAIDEN TODAY!!

Even though this newest jug model is still a work in progress, it was pretty much ready for the "moment of truth" to see how well it flies before I proceed further on the details. We've had some pretty tough winter weather for the past month or so on and off. Winds, snow, super cold temps sometimes, and just weather not suitable for flying all that much, especially doing a maiden on a fairly high performance airplane, even if it is a foamie.

There's just so much checking and rechecking of control throws, CG, etc., but at some point, you've got to put it on the runway and let 'er rip! This maiden started off very well after doing range checks, taxi tests, and full power static runups. It came through all of those just fine with just a very few squawks like a very slight turn to the right when the airplane is pushed forward by hand, which is easily correctable by retrimming the tailwheel slightly. Everything else checked out ok.

Since I have a couple other of these FMS 1500mm P-47 models, I am fairly used to how they fly. LOTS of right rudder on takeoff runs, and land with power in a two-point, tail low attitude, and just "hunt" for the ground to get that nice soft touchdown on the mains.

Takeoff was normal, but I did add a few clicks of down elevator as it wanted to climb some when I was trying to fly level with the gear and flaps up. It likes to fly fast, and is very nimble making maneuvers that the real plane would make. It was about 28 degrees out, a right crosswind, and although sunny, pretty darned cold, so I got several passes over the field, a few barrel rolls, and then set up for a landing. Even though I had not ever flown this particular plane before, it acted just as I expected it should with one of my better touchdowns and rollouts to a normal stop on the runway.

I'll attach a few pics of the plane after the maiden. You'll see there are no real markings on it yet, those will be coming from Callie in due time. But I just HAD to get this maiden under my belt!

For those interested, early P-47s flying in the ETO were outfitted with a white noseband, and white stripes on the upper surfaces of the horizontal stabs/elevators, and one across the vertical fin/rudder to help friendly gunners (especially in bombers) from mistaking them for FW-190s as they had some resemblance, especially when flying past the bombers at 400 mph!

In time, this unit (56th Fighter Group with the moniker in Latin "Cave Tonitrum," "Beware the Thunderbolt!") started making changes to the identification of their aircraft. They later settled on red nose bands on every plane in all the three squadrons, painted out the white bands on the tail with darker olive drab paint, and is how the airplanes looked in early 1944, with more changes coming. In the photos, you can probably see the dark OD stripes painting out the white stripes that go with this time of the war.

This particular plane was named "OLE COCK" by its pilot, Lt. Donavan Smith, 61st Fighter Squadron of the 56th Fighter group. Before your mind starts wandering on the meaning of that name, it was simply a greeting or salutation the Brits made when meeting other men, even spreading out to greeting the Americans who lived among them. Smith painted a rooster (cockerel) on the nose of the plane, one of Callie's embellishments I'll add when I get the package from her.

Smith distinguished himself as an ace, squadron commander of the 61st Fighter Squadron, and eventually attained the rank of Lieutenant General (three stars) in the USAF before sadly passing away early due to brain cancer at the age of 51.

I'm proud to paint up and fly this airplane in his honor.

Cheers

davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0376.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.1 KB ID:	365740Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0378.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.1 KB ID:	365741Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0377.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.6 KB ID:	365742

Comment

• davegee tremendous effort and congrats on a successful 1st Check Flight. Looks all good from here, Sir. Very much looking forward to watching you progress on the rest of your build. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                      davegee tremendous effort and congrats on a successful 1st Check Flight. Looks all good from here, Sir. Very much looking forward to watching you progress on the rest of your build. Best, LB
                      Thanks, LB! Glad to have that first flight out of the way!

davegee

Comment

• Congratulations on your maiden. Following your progress. 28' - to cold for me to fly. Enjoy the history also. Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Congratulations on your maiden. Following your progress. 28' - to cold for me to fly. Enjoy the history also. Best Regards, Rex
                          Thanks, Rex. We're tough out here in 'ol Wyomin'! (LOL)

Glad you liked the history. I really love the research that goes into making replicas of these aircraft. Amazing stuff.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Just completed a few minor additions to the plane this afternoon after the maiden. One picture shows the retracted landing light. I used a "mini mag" light reflector, bulb and cover that was approximately the correct size and cut a hole out on the left wing behind the landing gear. Early jugs had the landing light here, later ones they moved it to the left wingtip. This light is non functional, just for looks as it would be retracted for almost all flight operations.

Also, attached is a photo of the wheel and one of the scratchbuilt wheel covers for the earlier model jugs. Later models they did away with these and just showed spoked wheels.

Last is a photo of how I circumvented the poorly designed tail wheel door retraction set up. On the real plane, these doors were mechanically retracted or splayed out as the gear went up and down. The model has the doors hanging down and attached with springs to the tailwheel strut. But this makes the gear doors sashay back and forth on the ground as the tailwheel is moved. I think FMS mostly did a super job in designing this P-47 model in almost all aspects. But the tailwheel door design I'd have to say "used poor headwork."

The fix, and I got this from someone many years ago when the model first came out, was to string a small spring across the gear doors. This does two things. First, it forces the gear doors to be splayed out more than the original FMS design, and allows for the gear doors to smartly be pulled closed after the gear strut pulls on the spring, forcing them closed. Works great, been using this for years. Also notice the scratchbuilt object at the bottom of the tailwheel area. This was a hardpoint to attach a jack to to safely raise the tail area.

Also, the plane comes with painted green zinc chromate gear wheel wells and other interior parts. They should actually be yellow zinc chromate, and I used an airbrush to paint them after I taped them off. I think some of the contractors sub-let from Republic like Curtiss might have used the green, but the vast majority were yellow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0381.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	365768Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0379.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	365769Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0380.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	365770

Comment

• davegee I LIKE it...what else is there to say! Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• It is all coming together and looking great. I have seen the spring used in other planes before, simple but effective.
                                Your inventive thoughts on using common things found in stores is great. I always look whenever wife goes to craft/sewing stores for items to use.
                                Keep posts coming. Learning a lot. Rex

Comment

It is all coming together and looking great. I have seen the spring used in other planes before, simple but effective.
                                  Your inventive thoughts on using common things found in stores is great. I always look whenever wife goes to craft/sewing stores for items to use.
                                  Keep posts coming. Learning a lot. Rex
                                  There used to be a HUGE train store in Denver called Caboose Hobbies where I lived most of my life until moving to Wyoming 3 years ago. I did a LOT of scratchbuilt aircraft, rockets and spacecraft for museums, some of them actually flew. This was well before things like 3D printers (which I still hope to master someday) even cellphones, personal computers, etc. You remember what life was like back then. I had to research getting engineering drawings from the source at NASA or contractors, and then try to carve or fabricate certain detail parts.

Anyway, I would go to Caboose Hobbies, with the mental frame of mind that I was GOING to find something, some train part, something that I could use to make a scale part that I needed. And sure enough, although that store is no longer around as it used to be, I don't think I ever got skunked trying to find a part that I could use somehow in my projects. I like the idea of having to rack the brain to see through a part and how it might be usable for my purposes. It frequently worked.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                    davegee I LIKE it...what else is there to say! Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                    This idea predates all the later Flightline door actuators like for the F7F Tigercat and other models. So I had no idea except for someone who sent an email to me to use a spring from a ballpoint pen and string it across those gear doors of the P-47. I'm thinking this was back in 2015-16. So, apparently several people had ideas of using springs to work for gear door actuators. They sure worked well with my Tigercat, and I suppose other models, too. Now that was a good engineering design!

Comment

• I'm adding little details now as I wait for a Warbirds pilot in the mail to see if that will work for my cockpit or not, and Callie's decals which might not be here for another month. I'm glad I got the maiden out of the way, so now I'll continue to work the myriad details that I want to add to the model. I'll include some photos of what I have been doing the past couple of days.

Non-functional but I think cool details I've been fabricating and installing on the jug yesterday and today. For the main gear, I have simulated brake lines in both aluminum and flexible rubber tubing for this. Still some more details like connectors and such to do.

Installed the oval fresh ram air cabin intake on the leading edge of the right wing, and the square gun camera port nearby. Still work to do on that, and eventually painting it. Used brass tube and square tube for this. Flattened the round brass tube to an oval to approximate the shape of the air vent. Will eventually add a clear plastic cover for the gun camera port.

A series of vents and drains were along just below the trailing edge of the right wing. There were three fuel cocks to drain any water in the fuel at the low point, and several other vents and drains, all in a row. I made all of these out of aluminum tubing.

Also, I have been working with someone on the East coast to fabricate a scale Curtiss Electric prop dome on his 3D printer. I drew up the plans, and he sent me a test view of what he has come up with so far. I think we're very close, and he's going to print it on a resin printer to get it as smooth as possible and make my finishing work easier and less time consuming. I have made up some sleeves to put over the base of the propeller blades to simulate the look of the Curtiss electric props.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0388.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	365975Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0386.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	365976Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-01-04-093008.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	365977Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0382.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	365978

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                                        I'm adding little details now as I wait for a Warbirds pilot in the mail to see if that will work for my cockpit or not, and Callie's decals which might not be here for another month. I'm glad I got the maiden out of the way, so now I'll continue to work the myriad details that I want to add to the model. I'll include some photos of what I have been doing the past couple of days.

Non-functional but I think cool details I've been fabricating and installing on the jug yesterday and today. For the main gear, I have simulated brake lines in both aluminum and flexible rubber tubing for this. Still some more details like connectors and such to do.

Installed the oval fresh ram air cabin intake on the leading edge of the right wing, and the square gun camera port nearby. Still work to do on that, and eventually painting it. Used brass tube and square tube for this. Flattened the round brass tube to an oval to approximate the shape of the air vent. Will eventually add a clear plastic cover for the gun camera port.

A series of vents and drains were along just below the trailing edge of the right wing. There were three fuel cocks to drain any water in the fuel at the low point, and several other vents and drains, all in a row. I made all of these out of aluminum tubing.

Also, I have been working with someone on the East coast to fabricate a scale Curtiss Electric prop dome on his 3D printer. I drew up the plans, and he sent me a test view of what he has come up with so far. I think we're very close, and he's going to print it on a resin printer to get it as smooth as possible and make my finishing work easier and less time consuming. I have made up some sleeves to put over the base of the propeller blades to simulate the look of the Curtiss electric props.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0388.jpg Views:	20 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	365975Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0386.jpg Views:	14 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	365976Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-01-04-093008.jpg Views:	14 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	365977Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0382.jpg Views:	14 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	365978
                                        Dave and jetfool, I love it all, it's like a detailing "arms race"... ideas, parts, pieces, bits-o-this and that coming from everywhere.

It's what scale modeling should be about and so seldom is.

Awesome work by one and all. This simply reinforces my passion for the hobby.

Thanks and best, Steve
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                        X