Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of adhesive did you use?

Comment

• a 4s 4000 admiral battery balanced my f8 just right but a friends had to have 4 oz in nose to balance...and that was with the sporty set up.... ill never figure out these foamies for balance...but alls good with mine

as for the gear glue issue, mine had too much good glue...cross wind so let it land on the grass ,,,hit a weed clump and tore the right gear out and it took the leading edge of the wing with it lol...new wing fixed that issue

Comment

• The wings on my Cat when the gear came out it messed up the leading edge at the gear mount and I reattached the broken leading edge with foam tac. If doesn't hold I may have to get another set of wings. I am going to reattach the gear well with foam tac.

Comment

• I put mine back together with epoxy. That was last year and no problems since.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
            What kind of adhesive did you use?
            I had some of the glue that comes with the kits handy in my tool box, it seems to work well, otherwise Gorilla Glue and just don't overdo it and watch for the oozing, trim it off with an exacto knife if you have to.
            Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
              a 4s 4000 admiral battery balanced my f8 just right but a friends had to have 4 oz in nose to balance...and that was with the sporty set up.... ill never figure out these foamies for balance...but alls good with mine

as for the gear glue issue, mine had too much good glue...cross wind so let it land on the grass ,,,hit a weed clump and tore the right gear out and it took the leading edge of the wing with it lol...new wing fixed that issue
              Had the same, Foam Tac'd it back together and used some of the foam filler and some paint, good as new. Also, as mentioned above, a couple of other options if you don't have Foam-Tac

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Just thought I'd try to get some feedback here. Took the Bearcat out for a maiden about a month ago (balanced per the instruction manual). As soon as it left the ground it was squirly and uncontrollable. I was lucky to get away with a few broken prop blades and dislodged wings when it crashed. I inquired with motionrc on this, and they think it might've been extremely nose heavy based on flight characteristics (lots of up and down movement, seemingly impossible to control). I was able fix everything without issue and balanced with my 3600 all the way forward. Seemed perfect despite my concerns of repeating the maiden. Needless to say, I brought it out again today and things were very similar to the maiden; unable to control immediately after takeoff and ended up pile driving it into earth. I'm just not sure what went wrong here. Any input would be appreciated here. Thanks everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
                  they think it might've been extremely nose heavy based on flight characteristics (lots of up and down movement, seemingly impossible to control). .
                  That sounds like tail heavy....not nose heavy.

Comment

• That's what I had initially suggested when I contacted motion. Just not sure why or how with the battery moved to the forward position, and no other modifcations I figured it to be right on the mark for CG. Either way, it's trashed. I'm sure it's pilot error, just unsure how to learn from this.

Comment

• But sometimes too much elevator will act like tail heavy also, did it seem like it was porpoising? R.
                      AMA 424553

Comment

• I didn't think it was porpoising per say, just mainly a lot of up and down, uncontrollable movement. Went over everything with motion and even they haven't come across anything quite like this with the Bearcat. Either I am the worst newb pilot out there, or my CG was off and I "thought" it was balanced. Again, everything set up per the manual, and I had balanced it to 85mm upside down prior to the maiden and right side up prior to the 2nd maiden. Still at a loss here, but I'll just need to get back to beginner mode with another plane in addition to the Hawksky and get my bearings.

Comment

I didn't think it was porpoising per say, just mainly a lot of up and down, uncontrollable movement. Went over everything with motion and even they haven't come across anything quite like this with the Bearcat. Either I am the worst newb pilot out there, or my CG was off and I "thought" it was balanced. Again, everything set up per the manual, and I had balanced it to 85mm upside down prior to the maiden and right side up prior to the 2nd maiden. Still at a loss here, but I'll just need to get back to beginner mode with another plane in addition to the Hawksky and get my bearings.
                          What kind of expo did you have dialed in on the elevator? I usually don't use expo but found the bear cat elevator to be way to touchy without it. Dialing in a lot of expo made a huge difference on my bird. I'm using the same 3600 all the way forward and she flies great. I had a very similiar maiden experience with no expo.

Comment

• I didn't have any expo programmed. I felt I was really only using elevator to compensate for the ballooning, or compensating the compensation when it would dip. Maybe something to consider; however, I'd at least like to think I'd be able to manage the plane in the meantime at least a little. The last two flights it was literally unable to be controlled from liftoff until crash. Motion did mention that sometimes a little expo (like 15% or so) is necessary.

Comment

I didn't have any expo programmed. I felt I was really only using elevator to compensate for the ballooning, or compensating the compensation when it would dip. Maybe something to consider; however, I'd at least like to think I'd be able to manage the plane in the meantime at least a little. The last two flights it was literally unable to be controlled from liftoff until crash. Motion did mention that sometimes a little expo (like 15% or so) is necessary.
                              I just checked my radio, I have 30% dialed in for the elevator. Not sure if that is your issue but I remember having a similiar experience last year when maidening...it was all I could do get her back on the ground.

Comment

• I had a Corsair that was a handful when taking off but once in the air it would fly fine, then I looked at how much the elevator throw there was and it hit me like a ton of asphalt, so I dialed it down and put 20% expo in and the plane took off like all the others, now when I get a plane that acts like that on maiden I go right to the elevator. R. :Cool:
                                AMA 424553

Comment

I didn't have any expo programmed. I felt I was really only using elevator to compensate for the ballooning, or compensating the compensation when it would dip. Maybe something to consider; however, I'd at least like to think I'd be able to manage the plane in the meantime at least a little. The last two flights it was literally unable to be controlled from liftoff until crash. Motion did mention that sometimes a little expo (like 15% or so) is necessary.
                                  So am gonna be blunt ............ why do you keep rushing at this when you obviously don't have the skill set for a warbird yet ??
                                  A little under a month ago you were making these comments about not being ready.

And then in the same day you acknowledged eating humble pie confirming my advise given to another inexperienced pilot wanting to rush into flying the Bearcat.

This Bearcat is a *****cat IF you've got the skill set to fly a warbird. You really need to go back to the trainers and pay your dues.;)
                                  Calling Motion customer service about well established setup parameters isn't gonna get your inexperience level improved........just being straight forward here.
                                  Best regards,
                                  Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Just thought I'd try to get some feedback here. Took the Bearcat out for a maiden about a month ago (balanced per the instruction manual). As soon as it left the ground it was squirly and uncontrollable. I was lucky to get away with a few broken prop blades and dislodged wings when it crashed. I inquired with motionrc on this, and they think it might've been extremely nose heavy based on flight characteristics (lots of up and down movement, seemingly impossible to control). I was able fix everything without issue and balanced with my 3600 all the way forward. Seemed perfect despite my concerns of repeating the maiden. Needless to say, I brought it out again today and things were very similar to the maiden; unable to control immediately after takeoff and ended up pile driving it into earth. I'm just not sure what went wrong here. Any input would be appreciated here. Thanks everyone.
                                    What went wrong is you jumped into the deep end before learning to tread water !!!!! You went from ZERO knowledge and EXPERIENCE to trying to fly a bird that at the minimum takes a year to year and a half of EXPERIENCE and knowing how to set up your equipment . Not only that but you put anyone that was near at risk of injury .

I am all for new pilots and the excitement that comes with it but you also have a big responsibility to flying . Look thru some history of people getting cut and messed up with these planes . Do you have someone helping you because it doesn't sound that way . If you were at any club worth its weight they would not let you do that .

Please take your time and practice with a training plane . You needs months of knowledge and experience before jumping on that plane .

Bryan
                                    But Crashing is Landing

Comment

• Guys, I very much understand the perspective on new pilots getting in too early. I have already taken ownership in the problem that I got too far ahead of myself with a false sense of confidence in flying the trainer. I'm only looking for a better understanding of what went wrong during flight to cause the completely erratic behavior. With several months under my belt with a trainer, assuming parameters were correct, I'd like to think it could at least be mildly controlled before taking a dirt dive. Nonetheless, as mentioned before, I'm blaming myself.

I also understand the possibility of personal injury and danger; a risk we all take whether we're on our own or sharing a local field. I can assure you, appropriate measures are taken so that I am away from people, vehicles, etc. I fly at a local field as well as recreational fields near my house. I even take it a step further and take on dawn patrol so that I am avoiding people and any other pilots so as to not risking harming their planes in flight, or their bodies.

Yes, OV10, you're right and I'm aware of those posts as well as my initial lesson learned. At some point in time we all need to make a jump and challenge ourselves to elevate our skill set. Call it ignorant, or overeager, but I thought I could at least entertain the flight for a few minutes prior to an attempt at landing. Obviously, this was a poorly calculated risk and I've learned the hard way. I'm human, and just like the rest of you, I make mistakes. This last experience has confirmed, again as I've mentioned, that I'm going back to the Hawksky and possibly purchase an apprentice or Dynam primo to get more experience on a more forgiving plane. I'll take the blunt reality comments here, but I don't want this thread hijacked on newb stuff when it should be about the Bearcat. My apologies for inquiring, this was not the correct forum for it. Those of you who have contributed, I appreciate the input. Possibly expo for elevator is something to consider in the future, certainly if it's behaving funky. I'll keep this in mind the next time I attempt a warbird flight, which will be quite some time LOL

Comment

• I am very happy to read your comments !!!! We all understand the joy and sparkle in your eyes while looking at that plane . And yes at some point we have all made that jump . I can say from experience that the Bearcat should not be your next step . It is a great plane but way too advanced for you at this point . As good as the Hawksky is it doesn't prepare or give you low wing training . You need high wing practice for some time then you need low wing practice . They fly like night and day and once you see the difference you will glad you took the steps . The Pandora is a great plane that has four different setups on it . High wing tricycle and tail dragger then you switch it to low wing tricycle and tail dragger . All four setups take off, land, and fly different . Look into it

We will always be here to help and answer any questions you may have and there will be many . We will never steer you wrong, that we know of , because nobody wants to hear about a crash .

Keep us posted on your progress

Bryan
                                        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

I didn't think it was porpoising per say, just mainly a lot of up and down, uncontrollable movement. Went over everything with motion and even they haven't come across anything quite like this with the Bearcat. Either I am the worst newb pilot out there, or my CG was off and I "thought" it was balanced. Again, everything set up per the manual, and I had balanced it to 85mm upside down prior to the maiden and right side up prior to the 2nd maiden. Still at a loss here, but I'll just need to get back to beginner mode with another plane in addition to the Hawksky and get my bearings.
                                          You should balance with the plane up side down and gear up and try 15 - 20 % expo on the elevator that is after you get a littlel more trainer time. Good luck and good flying!

Comment

Working...
                                          X