Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a pic of my Bearcat at my clubs Model Aviation Day. Good weather and good times!

Comment

• That's an awesome pic!

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
        I didn't have any expo programmed. I felt I was really only using elevator to compensate for the ballooning, or compensating the compensation when it would dip. Maybe something to consider; however, I'd at least like to think I'd be able to manage the plane in the meantime at least a little. The last two flights it was literally unable to be controlled from liftoff until crash. Motion did mention that sometimes a little expo (like 15% or so) is necessary.
        Couldn't agree with the guys more. Don't feel like its a put down, really, we were all there, for guys like me, not that long ago either. I flew the proverbial pants off my two Pandoras in low wing tail dragger configuration before even attempting to fly my P-51's and then I buddy boxed for the first two flights. I had Ol' Weedwacker, my HH Supercub at first and would not have survived the jump into warbirds from that plane. Even at that, I've lost a few warbirds, so :Poo:happens. The trick is not to let it happen too often:Cool:
        The Bearcat is a great plane when you're ready for it, but 30% expo and low rates of around 70% are a good place to start as well as using the outer holes on the control horns and inner on the servos. Do yourself and your wallet a huge service and follow the same route as we did, Bryan, remember those days?? Hippie 64 and I go back a few years when we were just breaking into the hobby. I remember drooling over the P-51's and having one sitting in the basement raring to go didn't help matters either until I started looking at her as a goal to reach
        Bottom line, she's still in one piece, has never had an accident an is a joy to fly. You'll get there, but do it the right way.

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Anyone know where to get a carbon wing tube for the Bearcat.. Motion does not list them.

Comment

• Originally posted by skylane42 View Post
            Anyone know where to get a carbon wing tube for the Bearcat.. Motion does not list them.
            Have you called them? Sometimes the parts you need are not itemized clearly in the spare parts

It's about 4x the length you need but if you're just looking for carbon tube....
            http://www.rcfoam.com/carbon-fiber-s...ube-p-803.html

Comment

• Oddly enough, I'm in the same boat. Last night I started assembling Bearcat #2, but darned if I can find the wing tube. I had removed everything from the box and then threw away the styro packing, but put everything back in the shipping box for storage. And not only can I not find the wing tube for this one, but I can't find the one from my crashed one either. They have to be hiding in the garage somewhere...
              Pat

Comment

• So the wing tube is a tube and it is 8mm OD and about 13.25 (337mm) long?

Comment

• Correct, except I'd say 12.25" (310mm), 13.25" will be too long.
                  Pat

Comment

• So I finally managed to locate one of my wing spars. It is 13 7/8" long, 8mm OD.
                    Pat

Comment

• Thanks guys, I found what was supposed to be the spar but it is only 10 inches long..

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                        So I finally managed to locate one of my wing spars. It is 13 7/8" long, 8mm OD.
                        I'm beginning to think the spar I found was actually from another plane. At 13 7/8" it was too long. I had to cut it down to 12.25" to get it to fit.
                        Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
                          Guys, I very much understand the perspective on new pilots getting in too early. I have already taken ownership in the problem that I got too far ahead of myself with a false sense of confidence in flying the trainer. I'm only looking for a better understanding of what went wrong during flight to cause the completely erratic behavior.
                          Based on your level of experience the problem could well be "pilot induced oscillation". What happens is you put in a control movement that causes the plane to pitch up; but you over do it a little and the plane pitches up faster, then you try to correct, but again over do it and now the plane is pitching down too fast. Once it starts it gets ugly fast.

Comment

• Using reduced throws and lots of exponential will help control PIO. I always use at least 40% expo on all the throws to start with and adjust from there.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

Based on your level of experience the problem could well be "pilot induced oscillation". What happens is you put in a control movement that causes the plane to pitch up; but you over do it a little and the plane pitches up faster, then you try to correct, but again over do it and now the plane is pitching down too fast. Once it starts it gets ugly fast.

https://youtu.be/XHPv0qt03aA
                              I believe this is exactly what happened, which turned into a pilot-induced crash. Certainly expo should've certainly been programmed to help avoid this, unfortunately I think a downed plane was inevitable, as my eyes were bigger than my skill set. Lesson learned and I will absolutely get better with another beginner plane before even thinking to attempt another warbird. I appreciate all the input, especially with regards to expo as I hadn't even given this any thought prior to the second crash.

Comment

• Hey Purdue, don't feel bad, we've all been there. Just for future reference though, when you're ready for the big jump into warbirds. I usually fly mine with 30% expo and on mid rates, which is usually 80-85%. The Bearcat is a sweetheart of a plane to fly so, you'll get there, no doubt of that!!
                                Keep in touch and don't hesitate to PM me or anyone here when you go to take the leap. In the meantime, get yourself a good trainer like the Pandora and fly the pants off her!!

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Unless you're flying 3D, airplanes don't need near as much elevator throw as most people think. For a warbird in normal flight you need only enough throw to make a nice round loop. You can set up your rate switch so that most flying is done with about 75% of the full amount recommended in the manual. For landing, I like to use even less throw...maybe 60% of the full amount. These reduced throws along with 30-40% expo make for very smooth, scale looking maneuvers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guest View Post
                                    Here is a pic of my Bearcat at my clubs Model Aviation Day. Good weather and good times!

That's a great picture of your Bearcat. Also a nice looking place to fly, where is your field located?

Comment

• The field is in Tullahoma TN we lease the land right just inside USAF base. A lot of open space. My club is the Coffee Airfoilers. Thanks for the good comment on the pic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guest View Post
                                        What kind of adhesive did you use?
                                        Either the stock glue that comes with most kits, Foam-Tac or Gorilla Glue. GG ends to expand so its great for filling cracks, Foam-Tac is awesome but I tend to end up throwing out half the tube because it gets too thick to use. Best to buy it in 1 oz tubes Beacon Foam Filler is a must as well.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
                                          The field is in Tullahoma TN we lease the land right just inside USAF base. A lot of open space. My club is the Coffee Airfoilers. Thanks for the good comment on the pic.
                                          OK... I wondered because in your post with the picture says Location Elida Ohio...

Comment

Working...
                                          X