X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
    Heck, I just crank mine up to full and hold it about a foot back and keep it moving. It's a Wally World cheapy, bright pink to boot, but it does the job!
    Just finished putting on layer five over the P-40 wings as they are badly gatored, just as thick as I could get away with, and drying it, later on tonight, I'll add layer six, then let it dry until the weekend and wet sand them. We'll see what it needs from that point. I'm using the Minwax Spar Urethane Gloss, talk about the wet look!! Up until now, I've had the P-40 in a flat finish, but I'm really liking the gloss look, so I may go with that for a while, I can always spray it with the Minwax Matte finish if I change my mind.
    The other great thing about coating your airplanes is that it adds the UV protectant and coats the decals so they don't peel.

Grossman56
    Thanks. Are you covering the plastic nacelle cowls or just the foam?

Comment

• everything!
      With the Tigercat, I used two coats of silver grey I had custom mixed, then four coats of pearl (if I remember correctly) and initially four coats of clear, applied with a brush. People look at it twice!!
      I'll probably end up giving it another coat of clear over the winter. Currently, I have 6 thick coats of clear on the wings of the P-40 to try and reduce the gatoring, sanded one wing last night and it looked pretty good, so I'm applying a couple more coats and I'll see how it looks from there. I've always had the P-40 in a flat finish, but the gloss is thicker so I thought what the heck, I can always make the final coat flat, but, to be truthful, it looks cool glossy so I may leave it like that for the next season.

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Spinner prop hubs are out of stock at Motion.
        Mine broke when a single blade made light contact with the pavement on landing. It broke off the surface that the prop bolt bears against.
        I am afraid this may continue to happen since it did not take much to cause the problem.
        Does anyone have a 'work around' using a piece 3 blade prop and a different spinner/hub?
        May need a different prop mounting adapter as well.
        I saw one posted but the links do not work so I am out of luck there.
        Thanks!
        KC

Comment

• Tomorrow might be the day for the Tigercat remaiden. I have high hopes that it will fly well. Of course it all depends on the weather. It's supposed to be in the upper 50s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
            Tomorrow might be the day for the Tigercat remaiden. I have high hopes that it will fly well. Of course it all depends on the weather. It's supposed to be in the upper 50s.
            Get sum!!! She will be fine... Just relax and fly it like any other bird. Keep a little speed on landing... Enjoy!!!!!!!! It will be OK Bro!!!! :Cool:

Comment

• Good luck Mad Baron!

Comment

• I'll put on the runway and pour the coals to it see what happens :devious

Comment

• Just finished. This monster is freakin awesome. Cant wait to get it up. Re-covered in Diamond dust with three coats of auto vinyl clear. Yes..none of the decals are "right" but I made it mine. Hated the mold seam on the back of the motor carriers so I striped it.

Comment

• Never got to fly my tcat today.

Comment

• Yeah we didn't hardly fly today either, only 4 flights between 3 people at the field.

Comment

• I had every intention of flying my Tcat today but some folks at the field were flying 3d planes and pretty much took over the field. I barely got a flight on my B26 and my Pandora. Wasn't really a good day flying today. :Straight-Face:

Comment

• Man that is very irritating to me. Especially when you have a new plane you want to give a shakedown. Sorry MB, that really sucks :(

Comment

• My Tcat will see some airtime soon I have some days off in the middle of the week where I should have the field to myself!:)

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post
                              Just finished. This monster is freakin awesome. Cant wait to get it up. Re-covered in Diamond dust with three coats of auto vinyl clear. Yes..none of the decals are "right" but I made it mine. Hated the mold seam on the back of the motor carriers so I striped it.
                              Looks great! I plan on doing a similar paint scheme on my Tcat, I'm using the colors that are on my Mosquito.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
                                My Tcat will see some airtime soon I have some days off in the middle of the week where I should have the field to myself!:)
                                Right on!:Cool:

Comment

• Finally got this thing in the air today. You guys were right...it rolls through like a dream. Have a spectrum 636 in it with the as3x stabilizer on and 13mph winds. Never even shook a wing. Think this may be the easiest landing warbird I have except for the Zero. Definitely needs some down el for the flaps. Flipped the flaps to full at near half throttle and the thing nearly came to a dead stop midair...lol. Cant wait to fly it again

Comment

• Awesome! That is how it should be!

Comment

• Interesting, I go with 15 degrees and 30 for half flaps/full flaps. I have no mix in half flaps and a small amount in full.
                                      I agree, hands down the easiest flying warbird in the fleet!!

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                        Interesting, I go with 15 degrees and 30 for half flaps/full flaps. I have no mix in half flaps and a small amount in full.
                                        I agree, hands down the easiest flying warbird in the fleet!!

Grossman56
                                        I did 10/20 but have not got it back up yet...will follow your lead on this and up them both. I see you on here a bunch with good tips and tricks...appreciate it.

Comment

• Yeah this forum is great, many great people with lots of good advice. I have never used mixing for flaps, just use to using my thumbs i guess. Anyway yeah, this is why i didnt answer, cause i wouldnt have any idea what to tell you. I kinda do everything my own way and it seems to work most of the time, but when it doesn't im glad i have these guys here to get me through the rough spots. :Cool:

Comment

Working...
                                          X